These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

New Dev Blog: DUST 514 Closed Beta Signup Now Live

First post First post
Author
Arumator
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#461 - 2012-01-10 13:26:19 UTC
CCP Cmdr Wang wrote:
Dear Capsuleers,

Thank you for your interest regarding the DUST 514 Mordus’s Private Trials registration. I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the concerns raised in this thread.

With regards to the MPT availability, currently it is available In English for English speaking regions. So, if English is the official language in your country, you should be able to access DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials from the local PSN store in your area. We are, of course, working on localizing the client so that it becomes available in more regions for the Official Launch. So to recount, the DUST 514 Mordu's Private Trials will be in English only for English speaking regions, and our plan is to have localization for the following languages by Official Launch: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese.

And remember, the DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials is still in the registration phase, and that is open to all EVE Online players.

With regards to the DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials registration confirmation issue, we will be adding a status page to the EVE Online account management page for those who have signed up to participate in the DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials, so you can keep tabs on the status of your registration.

Thank you for your patience and continued support.

CCP Cmdr Wang

And the DUST 514 Team


What about native English speakers in say Japan? Also if it is localized can I turn the game to English when it is released in Japan?
Hunter Cazaderon
What The French
#462 - 2012-01-10 14:08:22 UTC
Arumator wrote:


What about native English speakers in say Japan? Also if it is localized can I turn the game to English when it is released in Japan?


According to the announcement, i d say it is even worse than being in a Non-English european country mate...
Cause if it is, by luck, "English speaking region" and not "English speaking country", Asia will still be on the wrong side...

Let's just wait for further precision on the matter.

Founder of  www.dust514-france.fr

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#463 - 2012-01-10 14:59:26 UTC
does germany count as an english speaking region since pretty much everyone speaks english ?
Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#464 - 2012-01-10 15:06:07 UTC
Salpun wrote:
I think he is saying that if you select Engilish on the PS3 you have access but if you select any other language there will not be any links or access.


QFT - If you all can read and write and post in this forum, in this language, you all should be fine to log in and participate in the beta test.

All this nonsense about Iceland and France residents not being able to participate.....I think is a bit overblown. I think they are just warning us here that the client isn't localized into multiple languages yet, thats all.

Nothing CCP has said gives me the impression they are making an arbitrary list of countries, categorizing them by predominate language, and excluding players who live in a country where a majority speak something other than English.

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#465 - 2012-01-10 15:17:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Hans Jagerblitzen
Agaetis Byrjun Endalaust wrote:

So, this is how I interpret your message: "If your not living in one of the named english speaking _nations_ you won't be allowed in the beta". Otherwise since we EVE players are from all over the world and 90% of us is playing on a english client already, why all that troubles for the beta to be localized? Is it all because of sony/PSN restrictions? Guess so


Localizing simply means that the product has been translated for the predominate language in that region. It doesnt mean that its software-keyed to recognize that you are logging in from a country that may speak something besides English, therefore locking you out because they have a set list of who's in and who's out.

Thus, if you can understand what I am writing now, you will be fine to log in, since you can understand and use the language its localized for at the moment.

They are just saying right now that if when you turn on your PS3, if you're reading everything there in French, German, or Japanese, you're not going to be eligible to download, install, and use the beta client in those languages.

Also, Iceland is an English speaking nation, I'm sure icelandic EvE players with PS3's can participate just fine, unless they're running their PS3's in Icelandic, which I highly doubt.

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Temmu Guerra
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#466 - 2012-01-10 17:02:52 UTC
So does anyone know if ANY beta keys have gone out yet or what the deal is?
Jessy Valera
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#467 - 2012-01-10 17:07:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Jessy Valera
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Salpun wrote:
I think he is saying that if you select Engilish on the PS3 you have access but if you select any other language there will not be any links or access.


QFT - If you all can read and write and post in this forum, in this language, you all should be fine to log in and participate in the beta test.

All this nonsense about Iceland and France residents not being able to participate.....I think is a bit overblown. I think they are just warning us here that the client isn't localized into multiple languages yet, thats all.

Nothing CCP has said gives me the impression they are making an arbitrary list of countries, categorizing them by predominate language, and excluding players who live in a country where a majority speak something other than English.


you can not change the country for the psn store. the region of your psn store is determined by your ip. and your psn account is bound to that region. if you got a german account and move to USA or france or whatever, you will need to create a new psn account and the PSN Store will be in the main language of that region.

That means that noone except someone in an english speaking country will be able to see the DUST 514 beta and will not be able to play it. and thats that. why they chose that way remains unknown... People should be able to chose if they wanna play the DUST 514 beta if its not in their country language but on english.

While Games usually start in the Language you have set on your PS, the PSN store is bound to the country you live in. So for the final release you should be able to play in english if you set your PS to english, but setting it to english will not enable you to join the beta if its just for english speaking countries und your countries main language is something different.

One can just hope, that they will get a clear mind and remove that country restriction for the beta... but personally i dont see it coming :( until then no Dust 514 beta for pretty much most countries
Agaetis Byrjun Endalaust
#468 - 2012-01-10 17:30:22 UTC
thanks for being so optimistic Hans but.....

Quote:
Nothing CCP has said gives me the impression they are making an arbitrary list of countries, categorizing them by predominate language, and excluding players who live in a country where a majority speak something other than English.


...... maybe this?

Quote:
With regards to the MPT availability, currently it is available In English for English speaking regions. So, if English is the official language in your country, you should be able to access DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials from the local PSN store in your area


also, I know what is a localized software, but the problem here is not with the localization, rather than with the PSN restrictions, which have been explained right above. So, since the dev has been talking as enigmatically as a shaman but at the same time as misteriously as a well trained politician...... I translate his words as simply as this:

"don't get mad when you non-english speaking ones will not be accepted. And don't say I didn't warn you"

so far, so good. I just hope we will overcome these poor communication syndrome one day and we'll be able to talk about DUST rather than try to interpret CCP's intentions and will

__________________________ just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not after you

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#469 - 2012-01-10 17:33:55 UTC
Jessy Valera wrote:

you can not change the country for the psn store. the region of your psn store is determined by your ip. and your psn account is bound to that region. if you got a german account and move to USA or france or whatever, you will need to create a new psn account and the PSN Store will be in the main language of that region.

That means that noone except someone in an english speaking country will be able to see the DUST 514 beta and will not be able to play it. and thats that. why they chose that way remains unknown... People should be able to chose if they wanna play the DUST 514 beta if its not in their country language but on english.

While Games usually start in the Language you have set on your PS, the PSN store is bound to the country you live in. So for the final release you should be able to play in english if you set your PS to english, but setting it to english will not enable you to join the beta if its just for english speaking countries und your countries main language is something different.

One can just hope, that they will get a clear mind and remove that country restriction for the beta... but personally i dont see it coming :( until then no Dust 514 beta for pretty much most countries


Yeah, I suppose your right, my bad. That is indeed pretty silly, EvE players in iceland may NOT be allowed to play the Dust 514 beta after all.....Sad

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#470 - 2012-01-10 17:38:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Hans Jagerblitzen
Agaetis Byrjun Endalaust wrote:
thanks for being so optimistic Hans but.....


You're absolutely right, I got ahead of myself there and let my wishful thinking cloud judgement and made a hasty retort...

/injects "Patience" skill, trains to level IV

/bumps "Reading Comprehension" to level V to the end of skill queue

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Hunter Cazaderon
What The French
#471 - 2012-01-10 18:47:32 UTC
well, i found a bit of news...

When logged on the US PS STORE, if you do a search with "dust" you ll see options to buy AUR

Do the same thing on a non-english speaking country and you get.... nothing related to DUST.

.............

Founder of  www.dust514-france.fr

Zeigfryd Omegas
ACME Mining and Industrial Inc.
#472 - 2012-01-10 19:30:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Zeigfryd Omegas
They only have the English version available right now as their first build. So PSN stores that use english, which aren't every country, ergo the "english as the first language of the country," will be eligible. Every different country has its own PSN store.

It also wouldn't make sense to have numerous localized versions already since it's at this early phase of consumer interaction, and it also wouldn't make sense to have it available in other countries in english because the majority of people won't be able to access it, this is demonstrated most accurately by the example of releasing a japanese/russian game in North America, with no subtitles/localization, and being okay with it because there is a small japanese speaking population residing there. What some of you are asking for is this very thing. To have an english game, on a Japanese store, because if make exceptions like that, you'll have to do it for all countries, and the ability of the people in the different countries to speak english are varied, and such an unknown that it'll be terribly unwieldy fashion to try to push a beta.

If you think that "It's okay, since it's just the beta and not the full game, a lot of other games open up the beta globally." What you don't understand is that most mmos and online games beta in one language and stick to that one language at launch, but have the added benefit of not even caring about language localization. This is where different companies step in to publish the game in different language zones of the world, ie North America, Europe, Asia. The problem CCP has is that the localization will take place on one server, so there's no chance of other companies stepping in later on, for one, and two, the game distribution itself will take place in the PSN stores of specific countries, the languages of which obviously won't be ready by the beta. So if they release an English beta in Japan, some would be able play, yes, but what would be the point of it being a localized beta, a testing ground, if it cannot access the rest of the playerbase and how they would interact with the game? It is much easier to get vital and accurate, global data by catering to the most widespread language, and therefore the largest sample on the planet, to test the different aspects of the game. That coinciding with the fact that each country has its own PSN store makes the decision to only beta test in English speaking countries, the only real option.
Hunter Cazaderon
What The French
#473 - 2012-01-10 19:51:43 UTC
Zeigfryd Omegas wrote:
They only have the English version available right now as their first build. So PSN stores that use english, which aren't every country, ergo the "english as the first language of the country," will be eligible. Every different country has its own PSN store.

It also wouldn't make sense to have numerous localized versions already since it's at this early phase of consumer interaction, and it also wouldn't make sense to have it available in other countries in english because the majority of people won't be able to access it, this is demonstrated most accurately by the example of releasing a japanese game in North America, with no subtitles/localization, and being okay with it because there is a small japanese speaking population residing there. What some of you are asking for is this very thing. To have an english game, on a Japanese store, because if make exceptions like that, you'll have to do it for all countries, and the ability of the people in the different countries to speak english are varied, and such an unknown that it'll be terribly unwieldy fashion to try to push a beta.


No one is arguing with that...
But as far as the information goes, it hasn't been said anywhere that there will be an open beta for all users of the PSN.
So, if CCP choose to "select" some players based on definite spec such as "speak english", does it matter if you re french, finnish or japanese ?
And, does the fact that a player's natural language is english guarantee he will be a good addition to a beta test ?

Otherwise, In the case of an open beta, it wouldnt really be a problem as you can create a PSN account for the store of any country no matter where you really live. And then DL any content there is on the PS STORE of the selected country..
This is illegal but let's no lie to ourselves, most PS3 users have several account (US, EU, JAP) just to acces say a "demo" that is coming out one day earlier in another country than the one they live in.

We ll see what CCP's plan is for the different beta testing but i m not giving up on this one. i'm waaaay too interested, even invested (funny but true lol) in this coming game :)



Founder of  www.dust514-france.fr

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#474 - 2012-01-10 20:05:23 UTC
Hunter Cazaderon wrote:
Zeigfryd Omegas wrote:
They only have the English version available right now as their first build. So PSN stores that use english, which aren't every country, ergo the "english as the first language of the country," will be eligible. Every different country has its own PSN store.

It also wouldn't make sense to have numerous localized versions already since it's at this early phase of consumer interaction, and it also wouldn't make sense to have it available in other countries in english because the majority of people won't be able to access it, this is demonstrated most accurately by the example of releasing a japanese game in North America, with no subtitles/localization, and being okay with it because there is a small japanese speaking population residing there. What some of you are asking for is this very thing. To have an english game, on a Japanese store, because if make exceptions like that, you'll have to do it for all countries, and the ability of the people in the different countries to speak english are varied, and such an unknown that it'll be terribly unwieldy fashion to try to push a beta.


No one is arguing with that...
But as far as the information goes, it hasn't been said anywhere that there will be an open beta for all users of the PSN.
So, if CCP choose to "select" some players based on definite spec such as "speak english", does it matter if you re french, finnish or japanese ?
And, does the fact that a player's natural language is english guarantee he will be a good addition to a beta test ?

Otherwise, In the case of an open beta, it wouldnt really be a problem as you can create a PSN account for the store of any country no matter where you really live. And then DL any content there is on the PS STORE of the selected country..
This is illegal but let's no lie to ourselves, most PS3 users have several account (US, EU, JAP) just to acces say a "demo" that is coming out one day earlier in another country than the one they live in.

We ll see what CCP's plan is for the different beta testing but i m not giving up on this one. i'm waaaay too interested, even invested (funny but true lol) in this coming game :)






Currently, what matters in Beta is proximity to battle servers. CCP need to do all their initial tests with lowest latency to rule out the possibility of that affecting gameplay.

Expect closest PSN users to hit Beta first. PSN + or otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony required initial Beta users to be PSN +

Currently the Test server for Battles is set up in CCPs offices in the UK I believe; so that means UK first, then France, Germany, EU, etc.. North America will likely follow, with a server set up here, which will cover continental US initially, then Canada.

Mostly, it's just ranging, and seeing how many servers they'll need and where; but I imagine they'll be testing for required hardware in the game servers to, for best experience and load management.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#475 - 2012-01-10 20:46:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Hans Jagerblitzen
Zeigfryd Omegas wrote:

It also wouldn't make sense to have numerous localized versions already since it's at this early phase of consumer interaction, and it also wouldn't make sense to have it available in other countries in english because the majority of people won't be able to access it, this is demonstrated most accurately by the example of releasing a japanese game in North America, with no subtitles/localization, and being okay with it because there is a small japanese speaking population residing there. What some of you are asking for is this very thing. To have an english game, on a Japanese store, because if make exceptions like that, you'll have to do it for all countries, and the ability of the people in the different countries to speak english are varied, and such an unknown that it'll be terribly unwieldy fashion to try to push a beta.


This is perhaps the best explanation as to why CCP is being so selective at this stage of the game. Thanks for breaking it down so nicely!

Hunter Cazaderon wrote:

Otherwise, In the case of an open beta, it wouldnt really be a problem as you can create a PSN account for the store of any country no matter where you really live. And then DL any content there is on the PS STORE of the selected country..
This is illegal but let's no lie to ourselves, most PS3 users have several account (US, EU, JAP) just to acces say a "demo" that is coming out one day earlier in another country than the one they live in.


This is illegal?? I suppose international trade laws? Really, I know little about all these PSN things...like I said I'm one of the ones who just bought their PS3 in anticipation of this, hence the reason for my noobish optimism about the English-speaking laws to begin with (that and not reading the previous posts carefully enough).

However, IF its true that there's nothing stopping anyone upset about the country restrictions from making a PSN account as an American even if you live in France, well than......not that I would suggest.....but.....you know...... Pirate

Edit: ok, just noticed that someone already said that the country is determined by your IP address. So even if someone WANTED to break the law and participate anyways, looks like this might not be possible. Like I said, I'm not a PS3 guy so I'm really only familiar with Xbox live policies and procedures. Maybe someone with more experience can elaborate on whether this *illegal* activity is even physically possible.....

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Noroswen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#476 - 2012-01-10 22:07:59 UTC
CCP Cmdr Wang wrote:
Dear Capsuleers,

Thank you for your interest regarding the DUST 514 Mordus’s Private Trials registration. I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the concerns raised in this thread.

With regards to the MPT availability, currently it is available In English for English speaking regions. So, if English is the official language in your country, you should be able to access DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials from the local PSN store in your area. We are, of course, working on localizing the client so that it becomes available in more regions for the Official Launch. So to recount, the DUST 514 Mordu's Private Trials will be in English only for English speaking regions, and our plan is to have localization for the following languages by Official Launch: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese.

And remember, the DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials is still in the registration phase, and that is open to all EVE Online players.

With regards to the DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials registration confirmation issue, we will be adding a status page to the EVE Online account management page for those who have signed up to participate in the DUST 514 Mordu’s Private Trials, so you can keep tabs on the status of your registration.

Thank you for your patience and continued support.

CCP Cmdr Wang

And the DUST 514 Team


Ok it seems this is being muddied up by alot of things, and Im sure this is exactly how Darth Vader felt sometimes so Cmdr Wang let me clarifiy what everyone means to say is.

Tell me the location of you hidden beta keys or I will blow up Alderan.

On a side note something Ive been thinking of with alot of the nay sayers weve had in here. It seems very much like the kind of anger you get if capsuleers really where having theyre monopoly on immoratlity challenged. Just an Interesting lore point thats all.
Flamespar
WarRavens
#477 - 2012-01-10 22:38:48 UTC
Yay. Aussies can play too.

Can I haz beta key noaw?

Everyone who has posted in this thread should get a beta key automatically for being so passionate.

Yay for Flamespar and his wonderful ideas, we should totally elect him for the CSM? .... (kidding ..... maybe)
Hunter Cazaderon
What The French
#478 - 2012-01-10 23:03:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Hunter Cazaderon
Quote:
This is illegal?? I suppose international trade laws? Really, I know little about all these PSN things...like I said I'm one of the ones who just bought their PS3 in anticipation of this, hence the reason for my noobish optimism about the English-speaking laws to begin with (that and not reading the previous posts carefully enough).

However, IF its true that there's nothing stopping anyone upset about the country restrictions from making a PSN account as an American even if you live in France, well than......not that I would suggest.....but.....you know...... Pirate

Edit: ok, just noticed that someone already said that the country is determined by your IP address. So even if someone WANTED to break the law and participate anyways, looks like this might not be possible. Like I said, I'm not a PS3 guy so I'm really only familiar with Xbox live policies and procedures. Maybe someone with more experience can elaborate on whether this *illegal* activity is even physically possible.....


Its illegal but doesnt really harm anyone so Sony never did anything about it.

Regarding an IP adress localization, i never heard anything about that. What are you refering to ?

Quote:
Everyone who has posted in this thread should get a beta key automatically for being so passionate.


Nicest idea i heard today Blink

Founder of  www.dust514-france.fr

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#479 - 2012-01-10 23:18:37 UTC
Hunter Cazaderon wrote:

Regarding an IP adress localization, i never heard anything about that. What are you refering to ?


This:

Jessy Valera wrote:

you can not change the country for the psn store. the region of your psn store is determined by your ip. and your psn account is bound to that region. if you got a german account and move to USA or france or whatever, you will need to create a new psn account and the PSN Store will be in the main language of that region.


CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#480 - 2012-01-10 23:21:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Hans Jagerblitzen
Noroswen wrote:

Tell me the location of you hidden beta keys or I will blow up Alderaan.


Now THIS is a new and creative approach to dealing with CCP - harnessing the power of the dark side!!

I can't wait to see if it works, could open up a whole new world for those capsuleers willing to let themselves be consumed by anger and fear.....

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary