These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Requesting Time Extension on gift selection

Author
Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#81 - 2011-12-22 17:30:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Crumplecorn
Tippia wrote:
…I'm just wondering how people manage to log and select a character in without looking at the login and character selection screens. Ugh
I'm wondering what people are doing differently that these pop up ads are working for them? I haven't seen one in ages.

Not that I mind, they inevitably are just garbage. And no-one would release time-dependant information through a channel usually used to funnel unwanted crap, right? Right.

:ccp:

I finally figured out why I didn't see the initial announcement in the newsletter though; it came in 2 days before the "look we're not **** anymore" crucible e-mail that got me to resub. Obviously the gifts are aimed at people who stuck with them after they tried to drive the game into the ground. Which is fair enough really.

Oh, and everyone whining about this needs to reevaluate their lives. It really doesn't matter.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#82 - 2011-12-22 18:06:16 UTC
Crumplecorn wrote:
I'm wondering what people are doing differently that these pop up ads are working for them?
What pop-ups? I'm talking about the game information window and game news window — to things you cannot avoid and which contain information that is of direct interest to the players of the game.

The whole notion that CCP didn't inform people is just ridiculous — they did, in pretty much every mass venue at their disposal. People just chose not to be informed, and now they're trying to blame their disinterest on CCP. Ugh
Aldee
Federated Holdings
#83 - 2011-12-22 18:08:17 UTC
Instead of people complaining you might want to go take a look at those presents under your christmas tree....... they might need to be redeemed in the next day or you could lose them.

Christmas presents are better when they are just given to players like they did in the past. Yes I missed all the info that said the presents had to be redeemed in a time period, I guess this is a bit foreign of an idea that presents have a time limit. Really I'm not going to miss the presents cause its the thought that counts and CCP didnt seem to give much thought about making them time limited so the sentiment is kinda crap anyway.

Best christmas presents CCP has given was the snowball launcher & snowballs...... this other stuff is meh. Wait its such a surprise CCP is out of touch both in game and with the spirit of the holiday.
SynackFin
Ornery Cantankerous Curmudgeons
#84 - 2011-12-22 20:09:27 UTC
FWIW, I too was super bummed that I missed the gift window. I heard something about it while out of town and unable to log in and play, but I naturally assumed it would be like previous redeemable items via the log-in screen when I got back.

Sucks. Sad

In other news, Merry Christmas folks!

TuonelanOrja
Doomheim
#85 - 2011-12-22 20:49:13 UTC
Natural selection, love it.

Not a veteran, just bitter..

Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#86 - 2011-12-22 21:56:08 UTC
Tippia wrote:
What pop-ups? I'm talking about the game information window and game news window — to things you cannot avoid and which contain information that is of direct interest to the players of the game.
Oh yeah, those things I stop and read every time I was going to play the game but decide instead to read some stuff.

Tippia wrote:
The whole notion that CCP didn't inform people is just ridiculous — they did, in pretty much every mass venue at their disposal. People just chose not to be informed, and now they're trying to blame their disinterest on CCP. Ugh
Agreed, even I heard about it despite missing the main announcement. It was the asinine placement of it in the account management section (a section which I have trouble finding I use it so infrequently) and the application of a time limit that I would take issue with if I cared.

Witty Image - Stream

Leftnut Hangslow
Vox Ex Caedes Deus
#87 - 2011-12-22 22:03:04 UTC
I too missed the notice(s) about choosing a gift. I'd also appreciate a chance to actually get this holiday gift. If that doesn't happen I'll be irritated but I'll get over it. Not like this has a giant impact on my life.

++ that snowball launchers were AWESOME holiday gifts.
Jack Traynor
Doomheim
#88 - 2011-12-22 22:06:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Jack Traynor
OK, so... seriously, am I just a jerk in thinking that WAY too many people complain on a regular basis about something that's FREE?!?! Or are all these people just children that don't have a grasp on reality just yet...

I don't get it... Don't be pissed at CCP because they didn't send a GM to your front door, ring the bell, and tell you exactly what was happening. You have eyes and the abililty to comprehend the written language.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#89 - 2011-12-22 22:09:59 UTC
Does it strike anyone else as a little odd that all these people managed to miss weeks worth of notifications and forum discussions only to happen to notice this today? The very day that the gifts are to be distributed.

I call BS on the lot of you.

Mr Epeen Cool
Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#90 - 2011-12-22 22:18:03 UTC
im one of the ones who thoguht he clicked a pressie and then didnt get anything, i guess i missed some other buttons :(

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#91 - 2011-12-22 22:30:31 UTC
Aldee wrote:
Instead of people complaining you might want to go take a look at those presents under your christmas tree....... they might need to be redeemed in the next day or you could lose them.

Christmas presents are better when they are just given to players like they did in the past. Yes I missed all the info that said the presents had to be redeemed in a time period, I guess this is a bit foreign of an idea that presents have a time limit. Really I'm not going to miss the presents cause its the thought that counts and CCP didnt seem to give much thought about making them time limited so the sentiment is kinda crap anyway.

Best christmas presents CCP has given was the snowball launcher & snowballs...... this other stuff is meh. Wait its such a surprise CCP is out of touch both in game and with the spirit of the holiday.

Well, here's the thing.

CCP was responding to the tremendous amount of feed back they have gotten over the years that people wanted:

1: Items that actually had a practical use.
2: A choice.

This feed back far outweighs the random comment or two being made this time around that a useless collectable ship or an equally useless snowball launcher is preferable.

It would seem they were right no the money with how they handled this. They simply didn't account for the general lack of literacy in the EVE community.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

O'Hare Vellocet
Extended Industries
#92 - 2011-12-22 22:34:25 UTC  |  Edited by: O'Hare Vellocet
Crumplecorn wrote:
I sure wish I had remembered to select a gift. Who the heck put it in account management? Oh well.

^ this

wtf CCP? last time I use account management was 6 months ago
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#93 - 2011-12-22 22:34:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Crumplecorn wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Oh yeah, those things I stop and read every time I was going to play the game but decide instead to read some stuff.

Tippia wrote:
Agreed, even I heard about it despite missing the main announcement. It was the asinine placement of it in the account management section (a section which I have trouble finding I use it so infrequently) and the application of a time limit that I would take issue with if I cared.

I had to look for it too. Smile

I'm pretty sure it was placed there due to the selectable nature of the gift... they had to put it somewhere that forced you to log in on which ever account was going to claim that gift. I don't really see any other way they could have handled it and still been able to associate your choices with the correct accounts.

As far as the timeline goes, I have a feeling it has to do with not having to keep a lot of people working over the holiday weekend handling any issue that might arise. With the 21st being the cut off date, it allowed them a few days to sort out any problems before the holiday itself. I personally can understand that.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ai Shun
#94 - 2011-12-22 22:41:56 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was placed there due to the selectable nature of the gift... they had to put it somewhere that forced you to log in on which ever account was going to claim that gift. I don't really see any other way they could have handled it and still been able to associate your choices with the correct accounts.

Redeem Items would have been ideal, I think. But, I suspect Redeem Items does not allow for multiple choice redemption and I suspect modifying that code is a bit more work / testing / risk than hacking together something for a website.
Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#95 - 2011-12-22 22:50:35 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Does it strike anyone else as a little odd that all these people managed to miss weeks worth of notifications and forum discussions only to happen to notice this today? The very day that the gifts are to be distributed.

I call BS on the lot of you.

Mr Epeen Cool

We notice it today because ccp told about redeeming gift on their front page news.
Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#96 - 2011-12-22 22:57:46 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
I can think of something else I log into with my account details, and far more often than the account management page.

Witty Image - Stream

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#97 - 2011-12-22 23:20:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Morganta
Crumplecorn wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
I can think of something else I log into with my account details, and far more often than the account management page.

seriously, why the hell are we suffering with **** forums because of eve-gate, and the one time eve-gate may be of some practical use to the community they decide to hide it in the account pages that people only go to when there's a problem with their account.

2ndly, fine, the info was on the login screen that is often covered by update boxes or simply overlooked
but NO MENTION OF IT ON THE SELECT SCREEN WITH THE REST OF THE NEWS
until it's of course too late for the people who missed it.

sure, I'll be the first to yell stupid, but in this case there seems to be an excess of stupid, so that indicates perhaps stupid isn't the only problem
Endeavour Starfleet
#98 - 2011-12-23 00:24:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Endeavour Starfleet
TuonelanOrja wrote:
Natural selection, love it.

What does this have anything to do with you?

Also what on earth is this? More than a few people feel the absolute need to come over to this and thump on their chest about how hardcore their EVE life is and how those who dont log in every day are some kind of lower end of the food chain undeserving of any glory despite the funds we willingly provide to continue development?

A neural remap giving or whatever has absolutely NOTHING to do with you. The amounts of accounts affected is likely less than fifty to a hundred or so in my guess. This isn't a gameplay change it is a request for something and our reasoning behind the request.
Drew Solaert
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#99 - 2011-12-23 00:35:47 UTC
Considering not only was it on the Forums, but also the news feed, log in screen, pop up advert and emailed newsletter all I can say is its your fault.

Plenty of notice.

I lied :o

Endeavour Starfleet
#100 - 2011-12-23 00:40:55 UTC
Drew Solaert wrote:
Considering not only was it on the Forums, but also the news feed, log in screen, pop up advert and emailed newsletter all I can say is its your fault.

Plenty of notice.

Login screen the day of the ending! Everything else I saw made no mention of going into account management.

It has NOTHING to do with you.