These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK: The State of Highsec Mining and the Effect of Upcoming Changes

Author
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#101 - 2016-08-31 09:18:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
If you really want to be pedantic you'd have to acknowledge the difference between consenting to the possibility of attack from undocking and willfully allowing with conscious consent a particular act of aggression.

And to say you agree to all forms of aggression is further false unless you take no precautions to safeguard yourself or escape/avoid aggression.
It's known as implied consent.

Quote:
implied consent
n. consent when surrounding circumstances exist which would lead a reasonable person to believe that this consent had been given, although no direct, express or explicit words of agreement had been uttered.
The surrounding circumstances being that Eve is a PvP game, thus leading any reasonable person to believe that if you're logged in, you're here for some kind of PvP.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Serene Repose
#102 - 2016-08-31 09:35:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Serene Repose
Lawrence Lawton wrote:
Piugattuk wrote:

So there you go, you just admitted that all those AFK "miners" infecting the roids that the majority docked up and the lone AFK'er gets ganked, by your own words you admit that AFK is not a problem as the miners run away, man what can I say, except sorry for you.
I admit nothing. I'm not on trial here. That convo is an example of a group of small time miners, and was intended to be humorous.
...sound.... Roll
Lawrence Lawton wrote:
All we really want is for people to buy permits and follow the Code.
...and fury....

So, after all this much ado about nothing, in the end you just posted in the wrong section.

Marketing Discussions --------------->> this way!

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Yarosara Ruil
#103 - 2016-08-31 09:41:38 UTC
In this topic: the regular CODE foot soldiers continue to perpetuate their narrative of their "public service" while posing themselves as the driving force of risk for miners everywhere, when in reality they are just in it for the schadenfreude.

But yeah, the boost changes are cool! That's all I have to say.
Kei Nagasai
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#104 - 2016-08-31 09:50:54 UTC
The answer to the AFK mining "problem" is simple, why dont "muh code" chase after CCP to change the way mining works at a base level? So it requires more than just activating a strip miner?
Oh wait, no, that wouldn't do now, would it? It's to much like common sense.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2016-08-31 10:40:33 UTC
I've played EVE for a few years now and mostly PVP, but when I started out, I definitely checked out mining. It was a DOA activity for me, nothing to engage me.

Contrast that to the way mining works in Elite: Dangerous. I thoroughly enjoy mining in ED, and it is actually a genuinely relaxing activity, not to mention one that leaves you with a sense of accomplishment. What Elite lacks, though, is purpose. The purpose of mining in ED is to sell minerals and metals to make money.

In EVE, the purpose is to build ships, modules, and battlestations.

Combine the mechanics of mining in ED with the purpose of mining in EVE and you might find you have a well-rounded mechanic that people can enjoy and find purpose in.

One more thing before I go. In ED, my mining ship is also capable of defending itself quite effectively, even against other players. It's a Cutter, if anyone else here plays the game, and it's quite large and fast, and can't be easily mass locked. I've successfully destroyed many assailants with it while in the process of mining, and the ones that I couldn't destroy, I've easily escaped.

Granted, Elite is more of a PVE experience, and escape is probably a little too easy. We don't need to go that far with EVE though, but I don't think barges should be as virtually defenceless as they are now. And yes, I know they can tank, but we all know even a good tank isn't exactly a deterrent to an attacker these days.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Gunrunner1775
Empire Hooligans
#106 - 2016-08-31 10:44:50 UTC
Lawrence Lawton wrote:

• Player interactions are rare. A prospective miner who visits a belt and tries to interact with the local population is met with a wall of silence.

• have to strongly disagree with this statement.. over the past year+ I have personaly had plenty of social interaction with other miners / industrialist players / corporations ect

Lawrence Lawton wrote:

• With the introduction of Command Bursts, it will no longer be possible to have permanent system-wide boosts from an invulnerable Orca with an AFK pilot. Someone will need to be around to activate the boosts, and the potential of separating the booster from the fleet will now exist.
  • [/list]
    I believe the proposed changes have the potential to revitalize the state of Highsec and am curious to know what other people think of this.

the introduction of the new industrial command ship .. the porpoise ... will negate your argument here about the orca... it can sit at belt orbiting a rock or another ship, or just sitting there, rough initial guesstimates are that it will be battlecruiser class (similar to other command ships) with all the tank that comes with it. I still see orca's in belts in high sec all the time btw
    Ima Wreckyou
    The Conference Elite
    Safety.
    #107 - 2016-08-31 10:59:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Ima Wreckyou
    Yarosara Ruil wrote:
    In this topic: the regular CODE foot soldiers continue to perpetuate their narrative of their "public service" while posing themselves as the driving force of risk for miners everywhere, when in reality they are just in it for the schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

Old german saying
    Soel Reit
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #108 - 2016-08-31 11:02:06 UTC
    Ima Wreckyou wrote:
    Yarosara Ruil wrote:

Old german saying

pretty sure that the german section of the forum is way below!
    you may want check it before posting here Cool
    Solecist Project
    #109 - 2016-08-31 11:33:03 UTC
    Two seconds additional seconds spent on what you read ...
    ... might have brought up that there is no english term for Schadenfreude ...
    ... and that it's being used as term even by english speakers.

Just like Kindergarten.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Yarosara Ruil
    #110 - 2016-08-31 11:33:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Yarosara Ruil
    Ima Wreckyou wrote:

Old german saying

Honestly, I don't speak a lick of German, but describing the motivation of the average EVE veteran in a single word is a boon.

And I just call them out as I see them. And for CODE, the misery of others (AFK miners mostly) is their joy.
    Soel Reit
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #111 - 2016-08-31 11:36:52 UTC
    Solecist Project wrote:
    Two seconds additional seconds spent on what you read ...
    ... might have brought up that there is no english term for Schadenfreude ...
    ... and that it's being used as term even by english speakers.

Just like Kindergarten.

reading all the phrase and not stopping at the first word may had you realized it's german and not a word in an english phrase.
    just saying Roll
    Solecist Project
    #112 - 2016-08-31 11:51:03 UTC
    Holy **** Soel, can you stop behaving like a carebear already?

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Soel Reit
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #113 - 2016-08-31 11:53:43 UTC
    Solecist Project wrote:
    Holy **** Soel, can you stop behaving like a carebear already?

any your request is an order for me madam! i'll gladly turn myself in a l33t pvper Pirate
    Hendrix Foster
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #114 - 2016-08-31 13:37:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Hendrix Foster
    I mine often and don't really have a problem with the current set up regarding barges/exhumers apart from I would like CCP to make mining in other than high sec worth it for newer players....or at least tempt them into it more as low sec mining is a fool's errand atm.

Secondly....I've no time for CODE/James the moron whingers who complain about the Skiffs or Procurers...because if there were no miners then sweet FA would get made.

From a new player's view (which I am a new player really), then the problem with low sec is that as soon as you leave high sec then there's a gate camp or people that straight away lock onto you who have been playing for like 5-8 years and are leeching off the gates intentionally to catch new players or the unwary.....hmmmm.

Also, if you go to a gate that goes to null then it's interdiction spheres with neut ships waiting.......blimey.

I'm all for leaving high sec sometimes or whatever....but its a ****-fest as soon as you do so, and they are all vets all-the-way almost everytime in a tier 2 or 3 ship.

Man! I know you folks will say just deal with it but it's not cool just being a kill mail for some overly skilled douche that waits 24/7 on the other side of the high sec gate.

In time.....I will be more skilled and the time of vegence will come and be mine...but not just yet, haha.

o7
    Zanar Skwigelf
    HIgh Sec Care Bears
    Brothers of Tangra
    #115 - 2016-08-31 13:38:50 UTC
    Kei Nagasai wrote:
    The answer to the AFK mining "problem" is simple, why dont "muh code" chase after CCP to change the way mining works at a base level? So it requires more than just activating a strip miner?
    Oh wait, no, that wouldn't do now, would it? It's to much like common sense.

Because they choose to use the tools CCP provides us with to make the change they want to see, instead of crying in the forums waiting for CCP to change the game for them.

Welcome to EVE.
    Geronimo McVain
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #116 - 2016-08-31 13:58:42 UTC
    Well there is a simple solution:

CODE shows how to do it right: CODE will make a Standing mining fleet of non AFK Miners in Hulks. Called: Hulkamania

They will mine for a month to show us all that mining is fun and there is no real reason to make it afk. It will serve several topics as it will bring content to Eve, give a lot of People a opportunity to take a shot at CODE and CODE will get the fights that they want AND they can show that that the afk Mining is due to the laziness and greed of the miners and not the ming numbing boredom of mining.

CODE: give a good example and SHOW us how to mine the right way!!!!Cool
    Foxstar Damaskeenus
    Brutor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #117 - 2016-08-31 14:04:44 UTC
    High sec miners are the lowest form of Eve player and should be reminded of that. I feel like the procurer should get a minor tank reduction, very minor.

That being said I am the proud owner of a fully researched Catalyst blueprint Lol

"[this thread] is a cesspit of trolling and flaming" ISD Buldath

Zanar Skwigelf
    HIgh Sec Care Bears
    Brothers of Tangra
    #118 - 2016-08-31 14:09:01 UTC
    Geronimo McVain wrote:

CODE: give a good example and SHOW us how to mine the right way!!!!Cool

The right way to mine is to get out of high sec. Doesn't matter if you afk in null, or ninja null rocks in low sec / wormhole anoms.
    Foxstar Damaskeenus
    Brutor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #119 - 2016-08-31 14:09:21 UTC
    Hendrix Foster wrote:
    I mine often and don't really have a problem with the current set up regarding barges/exhumers apart from I would like CCP to make mining in other than high sec worth it for newer players....or at least tempt them into it more as low sec mining is a fool's errand atm.

Secondly....I've no time for CODE/James the moron whingers who complain about the Skiffs or Procurers...because if there were no miners then sweet FA would get made.

From a new player's view (which I am a new player really), then the problem with low sec is that as soon as you leave high sec then there's a gate camp or people that straight away lock onto you who have been playing for like 5-8 years and are leeching off the gates intentionally to catch new players or the unwary.......................................

o7

You join a decent null industrial corp or mine on your other character in a WH like I do. Arkonor, Bistot and Crokite are like a steak dinner compared to the Mcdonalds of high sec. People who eat at Mcdonalds are fat, weak and ugly. Therefore we can only make conclusions about people who mine in high security space.

"[this thread] is a cesspit of trolling and flaming" ISD Buldath

Hendrix Foster
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #120 - 2016-08-31 14:19:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Hendrix Foster
    Foxstar Damaskeenus wrote:

You join a decent null industrial corp or mine on your other character in a WH like I do. Arkonor, Bistot and Crokite are like a steak dinner compared to the Mcdonalds of high sec. People who eat at Mcdonalds are fat, weak and ugly. Therefore we can only make conclusions about people who mine in high security space.

So judgemental..coming for someone who has played for over 4 years.

Not everyone has been playing forever. Try not to be so dismissive and nasty.

Then again....in is troll greneral discussion...lol

No worries.....expected