These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

PvP in 15 Days Challenge.

Author
Satchel Darkmatter
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#1 - 2016-06-18 20:34:12 UTC
TLDR -:- Make a Trial Character, Screen shot your bio/info and then win an open world PvP engagement.

The Why - I keep hearing people say that skill points don't matter, and then in the same breath I see corps recruiting "Must have xx millions SP" , and yet people still say SP don't matter, that you can do PvP you can blow **** up. But I am seriously doubting that sentiment, sure you can start the game join a corp , join their fleet with zero skill points and a rookie ship and then join a fleet (first of all no you cant because most corps need as I said above XX Million sp) and then go PvP, you might be doing 1 damage per second but your fleet will fill in your massive gap in skill's and ship power.

So I don't really agree with that at all, first of all as I said above most corps need a few million skill points from players and thats me being generous, secondly as people all to often explain just getting into a good corp takes time api keys and interviews, and any corp thats easy to get into is one you actually do not want to be in, so I contest that skill points do matter.

Most if not all of the players coming to this game these days are doing so because they hear and read about these colossus epic battles in space, they watch one of the epic trailers, that one with the FC's from loads of fleets still blows me away each time I see it, in a nut shell they come to the game for the battles, and I personally feel like they leave the game shortly after because they very quickly realize that those epic fights be it 1v1 or fleet v fleet are actually week's or month's away.

So the challenge is simple, make a new character, zero skill points, no ships, no money either an alt on your main account or a trial account, and play for 15 days which would cover the trial period and your goal is to get into an open world fight and actually kill some one, if skill points really do not matter then this should be easy right ?

Challenge Rules

  • Start with Zero Skillpoints or what ever the trial starts you with.
  • Start with zero money in your wallet
  • No arranging a fight with others for the purpose of winning the challenge
  • on gaining a kill, screen shot your wallet, and your skill points and link the kill.


Demolishar
United Aggression
#2 - 2016-06-18 20:39:18 UTC
Suicide gank a shuttle on day 1. Easy.
Satchel Darkmatter
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#3 - 2016-06-18 20:52:38 UTC
I wonder if your suggesting a way around the challenge because you know it's not easy and would be hard to do or if you actually think a rookie ship could kill something before concord blapped them.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#4 - 2016-06-18 20:54:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Nevyn Auscent
You are misquoting people.
What people actually say is SP are not required. Not that SP do not matter.
And when they say SP are not required they are normally referring to the 'I have to train for 6 months to T2 everything' attitude that a lot of people have. So take it in the context it's normally made, don't try and apply it out of context to everything.

As for your challenge it's already been done many times by youtubers.
Edit: Also you can be in a destroyer day 1 putting out a couple of hundred DPS. Easy to suicide gank something with that.
Satchel Darkmatter
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#5 - 2016-06-18 21:16:50 UTC
So your expecting new players to suicide gank ? and your saying I'm taking stuff out of context..
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#6 - 2016-06-18 21:29:30 UTC
Satchel Darkmatter wrote:
So your expecting new players to suicide gank ? and your saying I'm taking stuff out of context..

You asked for a PvP kill. Ganking is a form of PvP.
If you are expecting a rookie character to 1 v 1 kill something, then yea, it's going to be hard unless they backload it with links, because most targets who are prepared to take a 1 v 1 will have their own links, and in highsec their own neutral logi so it's not really 1 v 1 in those cases.
If they are allowed to link any fleet KM where they deal damage then it's laughably easy for them to meet your KM request also.

So..... Unless you are stacking the deck deliberately to exclude 99% of KM's, then a newbie can do it. I also just watched an 8 day character in an Industrial kill a frigate. So..... Yeah.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2016-06-18 22:08:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Eternus8lux8lucis
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#8 - 2016-06-18 22:20:13 UTC
Most of the kills by "newb" toons arent really newbies. There are the odd ones that either learn from others, the most common way, or basically get lucky and find someone more noobish than they are in that time period.

The idea of being proficient at X SP is a fallacy oft repeated ad nauseum. But that most people without any actual knowledge of game mechanics will be successful within a few days or right off the bat is also just a fallacious. Knowledge is power. And this is the dividing line in the sand, not SP or time in game.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Avaelica Kuershin
Paper Cats
#9 - 2016-06-19 00:34:20 UTC
If I was to create a new character I'd still have the advantage of not being a new player. I'd know what to train for in those fifteen days and which starting corp to choose. I'd know how to use the crimewatch system to my advantage, where to operate, and whom to bait.
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#10 - 2016-06-19 01:19:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Syrias Bizniz
For a new account of a knowing player, that's not very hard a challenge.

For new players, it is a very hard challenge. They have to soak up things like the very un-intuitive control of spaceships, the tracking formula, optimal and falloff, different weapon systems, different flavors of combat, different shipbonuses and all the like to be somewhat able to have predictable success in 1v1 / 1vWorld.

However, those very same new players can actually participate in thrilling PvP combat within their first 24 hours of character creation, given that they have the luck to talk to the right people within these 24 hours. All it takes is someone willing to push them into the cold water and actually helping them swim through it.
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#11 - 2016-06-19 02:00:14 UTC
Satchel Darkmatter wrote:
I...you actually think a rookie ship could kill something before concord blapped them.


A rookie ship with a drone could kill a venture in lowsec.
Close range weapons, point and one drone, noooo problem.



Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#12 - 2016-06-19 02:27:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Shae Tadaruwa
Chopper Rollins wrote:
Satchel Darkmatter wrote:
I...you actually think a rookie ship could kill something before concord blapped them.


A rookie ship with a drone could kill a venture in lowsec.
Close range weapons, point and one drone, noooo problem.

That's a bad, bad Venture pilot that doesn't use the +2 WCS bonus of the hull to escape from a rookie ship.

Deserves to die if they are that bad.

Of course, there's also the aspect that the question was about a rookie ship killing something before CONCORD respond, but lowsec is too scary for CONCORD.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Roenok Baalnorn
Baalnorn Heavy Industries
#13 - 2016-06-19 02:46:10 UTC
Buy 2 identical ships and fit exactly the same. The fit should be for a low SP newb. Train the newb only to the requires needed to use the mods and ship. Stick said newb in one ship. Stick my main in the other, Ill murder him.

Sp adds anywhere from 10% to over 50% to stats depending on fit. Factor in T2 and it can hit 200% or more difference. When i was a noob i use to die a lot. if i got a kill before i died i considered it a win. Now anything less than 5 before i pop is a really bad day and its usually closer to 10-15.

As a noob i would struggle with high sec rats and my ultra low sp alt still does. He cant even do refuge anoms in a frigate has to use a caracal. My main can do them in an ibis. SP plays a much bigger role in this game than people let on.
Roenok Baalnorn
Baalnorn Heavy Industries
#14 - 2016-06-19 02:50:45 UTC
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Chopper Rollins wrote:
Satchel Darkmatter wrote:
I...you actually think a rookie ship could kill something before concord blapped them.


A rookie ship with a drone could kill a venture in lowsec.
Close range weapons, point and one drone, noooo problem.

That's a bad, bad Venture pilot that doesn't use the +2 WCS bonus of the hull to escape from a rookie ship.

Deserves to die if they are that bad.

Of course, there's also the aspect that the question was about a rookie ship killing something before CONCORD respond, but lowsec is too scary for CONCORD.

faction scrams are 3 points.or you run dual points.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2016-06-19 03:48:10 UTC
Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
SP plays a much bigger role in this game than people let on.

Exactly what the OP was talking about and I agree with it 100%.

Always hear people saying SP's don't matter. Just propaganda intended to bring in new killmails.

I'm a very experienced PvE player with very little experience in PvP content. A few years ago CCP had a 3 part Travel Tourist Exploration contest with multiple objectives to complete, each documented with screenshots. One of those objectives was to have your pod on fire.

I contacted a friend who was very experienced in PvP to help me complete that objective. He also offered to teach me some PvP moves as well. We decided to fit up Rookie ships exactly the same, made a safe spot in a quiet high sec system and started to Duel.

After a while it became apparent that my ship was doing more damage as well as receiving less damage. I was also able to orbit faster and further out yet still hit than my friend could. We discussed the issue and soon realized that my character was more highly trained in ship skills. Despite the lack of PvP experience, my skillpoints were definitely showing as a deciding factor in the engagement.

So yes, skillpoints definitely make a difference in this game.



DMC
Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#16 - 2016-06-19 04:49:18 UTC
Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
faction scrams are 3 points.or you run dual points.

On a rookie ship.

Sure. In fantasy land (ie. not the Eve fantasy land, but some totally whacko fantasy land where people run around fitting faction scrams on rookie ships and then gank in highsec with them).

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Zirashi
Cyclical Destruction
#17 - 2016-06-19 05:21:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Zirashi
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
https://youtu.be/de1hwoFYA_k
https://youtu.be/Je5UPKssuiE
https://youtu.be/qVcXuXV0DwA

to clarify, these are not mine.

Furthermore, the 17 day rifter was done back before the Vanguard patch so new players started with significantly less SP than they do today (~50,000 starting sp was raised to ~400,000). Nowadays new characters start with Thermodynamics already trained to 1. That alone used to be like 3-5 days of training if I recall correctly and is basically mandatory for pvp.

I feel like this thread did not go as OP had planned.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2016-06-19 08:28:41 UTC
This is my main and first char, created 26-7-2013 first PVP kill 29-8-2013.

Was a fellow newbro and ninja-salvager, we decided to duel among wannabe thieves.


I was immediately hooked to PVP. The following month I had a whole bunch of kills (and losses, naturally).


Not 15 days, but I didn't have much SP either.


People flatly say 'SP doesn't matter!' because there are so many other people, and newbros, firmly convinced that 'SP means everything!'. They're just trying to shout louder than the other crowd, so to speak.


The truth is, SP is simply a PVP enabler. Depending on what you fly, there certainly is a bare minimum you need to not be gimped. But it's really just 1-2 months training for frigates, and that's assuming you want to try solo PVP and have at least a 50% chance of winning.

But you can also just get out there and shoot stuff with a newbro-friendly PVP corp from day 1, have fun, learn and eventually be able to stand on your own.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Roenok Baalnorn
Baalnorn Heavy Industries
#19 - 2016-06-19 11:48:14 UTC
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
faction scrams are 3 points.or you run dual points.

On a rookie ship.

Sure. In fantasy land (ie. not the Eve fantasy land, but some totally whacko fantasy land where people run around fitting faction scrams on rookie ships and then gank in highsec with them).


I will point you to https://zkillboard.com/kill/53346793/ and https://zkillboard.com/kill/54376288/

And this one was also stabbed a lot of venture kills in velators and an imparior

Oh and this one has to be embarassing

Any questions?
Lacori
Doomheim
#20 - 2016-09-15 23:08:05 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
This is my main and first char, created 26-7-2013 first PVP kill 29-8-2013.

Was a fellow newbro and ninja-salvager, we decided to duel among wannabe thieves.


I was immediately hooked to PVP. The following month I had a whole bunch of kills (and losses, naturally).


Not 15 days, but I didn't have much SP either.


People flatly say 'SP doesn't matter!' because there are so many other people, and newbros, firmly convinced that 'SP means everything!'. They're just trying to shout louder than the other crowd, so to speak.


The truth is, SP is simply a PVP enabler. Depending on what you fly, there certainly is a bare minimum you need to not be gimped. But it's really just 1-2 months training for frigates, and that's assuming you want to try solo PVP and have at least a 50% chance of winning.

But you can also just get out there and shoot stuff with a newbro-friendly PVP corp from day 1, have fun, learn and eventually be able to stand on your own.


SP is more important for PVE than PVP, at least to begin with. Then before you know it, your typical mission-runner is grinding towards pirate bs's before he even knows how to pvp-fit a rifter. It's a shame. I feel these people haven't even played the same game as me.

I killed someone within two days of playing Eve, way back in 2005. And I podded them too. And I took their stuff.

And I loved it.
12Next page