These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

CCP Give your dyslexic players spell checker please!

Author
Dirty Pool
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2016-05-20 14:18:48 UTC
Aleria Angelis wrote:
10% of the worlds population are apparently dyslexic, EVE is a difficult game as it is and I feel the high leanring curve puts alot of dyslexic players off.

If they do manage to stick with it like I have done then there are a number of improvments which could be made to the UI to enchance all players experience.

One of these is an in game spell checker for chat channels and mail functions that would greatly help dyslexics play and enjoy the game.

Even better would be auto correct functions, just an idea! P



Please, no. One of the few ways I can identify an moron in a chat-based game is by their inability to put together a simple sentence.
Cristl
#22 - 2016-05-20 16:25:43 UTC
DYSLEXICS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#23 - 2016-05-20 16:50:50 UTC
Cristl wrote:
DYSLEXICS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!

FORM OOOOOOOOOOOF ... you **** , i nearly didn't see that.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#24 - 2016-05-21 02:21:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Aleria Angelis wrote:
Dyslexia is inherrited, .

Incorrect at least in part.
Dyslexia does tend to run in families and that along with some current research indicates that there MAY be a genetically linked aspect to dyslexia, however there is no proof at this point.
There are documented cases where there is no history of dyslexia in a family and a baby will be born that that is dyslexic, the researchers studying this would argue that these cases indicate a link to some environmental cause but again nothing has been proven.
Like so many other diseases and conditions in the human family we simply do not know what causes these things.

Many in this topic have stated that we could wipe out dyslexia and considering the list of people in our collective history that were dyslexic I wonder what that world would be like.
Partial list of famous or important people who were dyslexic.
As this list clearly shows dyslexia is not a problem that needs to be eradicated from the human family. In fact this list clearly shows that as a society we simply need to learn to accept it since there are no obvious mental or physical problems associated with dyslexia.

Edit.
For those like me that suffer here is a link to something that may help you in your daily struggles.
A font that helps those who suffer.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#25 - 2016-05-21 02:26:04 UTC
-.- you spent way to much time looking into that and you can hardly call having dyslexia "suffering"
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#26 - 2016-05-21 11:44:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
-.- you spent way to much time looking into that and you can hardly call having dyslexia "suffering"

Oh there we go assuming that I spent time "looking into" something.
Well for the record I have not "looked" into being dyslexic, I have lived with it every single day of my 62 years on this earth.
And I do not "look" into it, I study it, read everything I can find published about it, I have participated in numerous studies about it, I even have a family member who is a researcher working in the field. And I have worked every day of my life to learning new ways to deal with it and unfortunately having to learn new ways to try and hide it from those jerks in this world that have no clue what they are talking about but believe you are flawed as a human being simply because of it. You know people like this.
Serendipity Lost wrote:
If we were to stop pandering to dyslexics, they would just fall out of the gene pool over time. Dyslexia and many other genetic issues are getting out of control due to this constant pandering.


Your comment here are typical of those who think they know but have never actually dealt with it and that makes me wonder.
Do you deal with it everyday?
Have you been labeled and ridiculed for being "re tard ed" simply because you are dyslexic? apologies for the spaces needed to get past nanny bot.
In school have you been FORCED into classes for the "re tard ed" because you are dyslexic?
Are you even old enough to know a time when "special" classes were simply labeled by the schools as classes for the "re tard ed"?
Have you ever been given a failing grade in a class in college or other school simply because you struggle with some / many of the basic reading / writing difficulties common to a person with dyslexia?
Have you ever lost a job or not been given a promotion because of being dyslexic?
Unfortunately you are completely incorrect in your assumption that people with dyslexia do not "suffer".

I missed this one earlier but since I am here now I will address this as well.
kardjaval wrote:
...except, transposing letter is NOT how dyslexic people read, nor type , if you see someone transpose a letter, it's not because of dyslexia, it's because they are simply typing fast and their dominant hand is actually typing slightly faster then their non dominant hand, it's why the becomes teh.

This is not specifically true.
Yes dominant hand issues can cause transposition of letters, but then so can dyslexia although the two often display a different pattern of transposition. As you note above dominant hand usually displays itself with adjacent letters being transposed "the" becoming "teh" as in your example. Instead of transposing letters like your example dyslexics usually turn individual letters or numbers in a mirror image fashion either left / right , up / down and in some instances a combination of both. In the left / right pattern you might see the letter "d" transposed with the letter "b". The up / down may show with the letter "v" being turned and interpreted and the letter "n". While the combination may have the number "9" switch to the number "6". The company that produces the font for dyslexic people that I linked above has done a significant amount of study in this area as part of developing their font and it is specifically designed with visual clues like heavier line widths on the bottom of the letters to help prevent these typical forms of transposition caused by dyslexia.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#27 - 2016-05-21 13:02:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Donnachadh wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
-.- you spent way to much time looking into that and you can hardly call having dyslexia "suffering"

Oh there we go assuming that I spent time "looking into" something.
Well for the record I have not "looked" into being dyslexic, I have lived with it every single day of my 62 years on this earth.
And I do not "look" into it, I study it, read everything I can find published about it, I have participated in numerous studies about it, I even have a family member who is a researcher working in the field. And I have worked every day of my life to learning new ways to deal with it and unfortunately having to learn new ways to try and hide it from those jerks in this world that have no clue what they are talking about but believe you are flawed as a human being simply because of it. You know people like this.
Serendipity Lost wrote:
If we were to stop pandering to dyslexics, they would just fall out of the gene pool over time. Dyslexia and many other genetic issues are getting out of control due to this constant pandering.


Your comment here are typical of those who think they know but have never actually dealt with it and that makes me wonder.
Do you deal with it everyday?
Have you been labeled and ridiculed for being "re tard ed" simply because you are dyslexic? apologies for the spaces needed to get past nanny bot.
In school have you been FORCED into classes for the "re tard ed" because you are dyslexic?
Are you even old enough to know a time when "special" classes were simply labeled by the schools as classes for the "re tard ed"?
Have you ever been given a failing grade in a class in college or other school simply because you struggle with some / many of the basic reading / writing difficulties common to a person with dyslexia?
Have you ever lost a job or not been given a promotion because of being dyslexic?
Unfortunately you are completely incorrect in your assumption that people with dyslexia do not "suffer".


Lol i was in those classes from grade 2 all the way into my last year of HS(though by then i had been keeping myself in them) do i deal with it every day? yeah particularly with "b" "d" and "p". have i been ridiculed? i don't think so occasionally teased a bit and there is one bloke who has made it his mission to publicly correct every little mistake i make even if it was a typo and not a true error on my part. Don't let it bother me though if you let ppl get under your skin over something so small you have a bigger issue.

but yes we are flawed there is no way you can spin it to be otherwise. Accept you flaw and do what you can to compensate for it. Luckily unlike when i was growing up almost everything we need to do is done on a computer and even the most rudimentary programs have spell check now. Only ones that don't it generally doesn't matter if you mess up so there is no real impedance. I'll say it again having this is far from suffering.

dear god you went from spending to much time on a wiki to full blown obsession Shocked

and no one in this thread truly wants to eradicate our kind. I'm not sure if you don't understand Poe's law or if you are a master of it.

EDIT:
as for the font those guys made it doesn't seem to be any better than comic sans (at least for me) personally if i had any advice for them it would be make differences in "d"and"p" a bit more pronounced
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#28 - 2016-05-21 14:58:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
snipped all of it

I am glad to hear that you have not had that bad of a time based on this, but that does not mean that others have not, and I wonder how much the age difference between us has to do with that.

But you are right I do obsess over it, unlike you I have had a life long battle with significantly more than what amounts to simple name calling. I have been kick around literally when I was younger, in one ugly case I was beat to the point that I was hospitalized simply because I was different. I have been made to stand in front of classes at all levels including college and try to read to a class while my fellow students and in some cases even the teachers / professors were laughing out loud at my struggles, you may not classify such things as suffering but I do. And the part of this that concerns me the most is these attitudes and actions are not relics of the past they are alive and thriving in today's society.

I am sorry that you consider your gift to be a flaw. Dyslexia can be a gift for those who can come to terms with it, can overcome the social stigma surrounding it and can fully understand how to use it to their advantage. As a group the dyslexic people I have known in my life all posses a unique perspective on life and it's problems and they are often the ones who find / think up the most creative solutions to many problems. Taken as a whole they are the most creative as well, often being highly successful as painters, sculptors, musicians and even writers.
Mundi Kundoni
Perkone
Caldari State
#29 - 2016-05-24 11:10:38 UTC
Dirty Pool wrote:


Please, no. One of the few ways I can identify an moron in a chat-based game is by their inability to put together a simple sentence.



There are other ways. For example - do they believe that dyslexia stops people from reproducing but a spell checker fixes their junk? Or did their Tinder account just have too many spelling mistakes to get the good swipes?

Hmmmmmm
Previous page12