These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

What are you reading?

First post
Author
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#101 - 2017-03-19 19:13:24 UTC
Jno Aubrey
Galactic Patrol
#102 - 2017-03-22 01:03:49 UTC
Monster Hunter International - Larry Correia.

Awesome Urban Fantasy mixed with gun porn.

Name a shrub after me.  Something prickly and hard to eradicate.

Lord Harrowmont
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#103 - 2017-03-27 08:20:34 UTC
Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler
Gneeznow
Ship spinners inc
#104 - 2017-03-27 15:01:54 UTC
Lord Harrowmont wrote:
Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler


I found myself a pre-war 1938 British library copy of Mein Kampf at the bottom of a stack of books in a dark corner of a second-hand bookshop. Got it for a steal at 25 euro, now it sits on my desk while I play Company of Heroes as my wehrmacht StuGs and Ostwinds yolo across the map.
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#105 - 2017-03-27 17:02:37 UTC
Lord Harrowmont wrote:
mein kampf by adolf hitler

Sure, people should read that...as a warning against what can happen when we allow our human frailties to be manipulated.
Same with 'the communist manefesto' and mao's 'little red book'

As "Comrade" Jeeves said "t it is as well to know what tunes the devil is playing.”



Gneeznow
Ship spinners inc
#106 - 2017-03-28 09:22:13 UTC
Vortexo VonBrenner wrote:
Lord Harrowmont wrote:
mein kampf by adolf hitler

Sure, people should read that...as a warning against what can happen when we allow our human frailties to be manipulated.
Same with 'the communist manefesto' and mao's 'little red book'

As "Comrade" Jeeves said "t it is as well to know what tunes the devil is playing.”





Have you ever read any of those books or are you just parroting redditisms?
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#107 - 2017-03-28 17:53:27 UTC
Gneeznow wrote:
Vortexo VonBrenner wrote:
Lord Harrowmont wrote:
mein kampf by adolf hitler

Sure, people should read that...as a warning against what can happen when we allow our human frailties to be manipulated.
Same with 'the communist manefesto' and mao's 'little red book'

As "Comrade" Jeeves said "t it is as well to know what tunes the devil is playing.”





Have you ever read any of those books or are you just parroting redditisms?


1. yes, I have, and much more about communism, actual fascism, the histories of such, and their interactions with humanity.

2. I don't do reddit, sorry.

3. Since you bring it up - have you?
Kirie Kumamato
Ascension From Okomon
#108 - 2017-04-01 21:24:00 UTC
The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#109 - 2017-04-02 20:41:10 UTC
About to finish The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, first novel of the Discworld series. Not as good as I'd hoped, maybe I was expecting too much. Do the books get better as you go along?
LordOdysseus
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#110 - 2017-04-02 21:20:13 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
About to finish The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, first novel of the Discworld series. Not as good as I'd hoped, maybe I was expecting too much. Do the books get better as you go along?


They get funnier and more awesome after the third. The second book in the series is the continuation of the first but then the books begin to divide into storylines.I was bored by the third and stopped reading it mid-way.My all-time favorite book is the 5th,Sourcery.

Upon searching on a search engine for 'discworld reading order',these storylines come up:


  • Rincewind.
  • Death.
  • Witches.
  • City Watch.
  • Wizards.
  • Tiffany Aching.
  • Moist von Lipwig.
  • Discworld cultures.


What I did when I first started reading was reading up to the 8th book and then reading each storyline one by one.

This flowchart is from 2015.The most recent version I could find.

Enjoy! Smile
Sarker Calidan
Calidan Union
#111 - 2017-04-02 22:09:07 UTC
Just started reading a series called the Zombie Chronicles...
Interesting so far, not the best writing style, but its a good story.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#112 - 2017-04-03 00:45:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
LordOdysseus wrote:
Khergit Deserters wrote:
About to finish The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, first novel of the Discworld series. Not as good as I'd hoped, maybe I was expecting too much. Do the books get better as you go along?


They get funnier and more awesome after the third. The second book in the series is the continuation of the first but then the books begin to divide into storylines.I was bored by the third and stopped reading it mid-way.My all-time favorite book is the 5th,Sourcery.

Upon searching on a search engine for 'discworld reading order',these storylines come up:


  • Rincewind.
  • Death.
  • Witches.
  • City Watch.
  • Wizards.
  • Tiffany Aching.
  • Moist von Lipwig.
  • Discworld cultures.


What I did when I first started reading was reading up to the 8th book and then reading each storyline one by one.

This flowchart is from 2015.The most recent version I could find.

Enjoy! Smile

That is awesome! OK, going to follow the flowchart. After I read Clark Ashton Smith, which I had to special order from a neighboring library, good a deadline. And then My Struggle, Book 1, by intense depressed Norweigan guy Karl Ove Knausgård. He's on Book 6 by now, and people love them and wait for them.
LordOdysseus
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#113 - 2017-04-07 19:29:00 UTC
Bruce Kemp
x13
#114 - 2017-04-14 15:01:12 UTC
KPAX
Permutation
Ready player one
Merchant Rova
Miata Waifu Club
#115 - 2017-04-15 09:41:57 UTC
(I think it counts, maybe?) I've finally gotten around to reading the Initial D manga after watching the show. It's better than the show if you read it listening to eurobeat.
Ash Ray
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#116 - 2017-05-01 10:16:41 UTC
Just got done with Brave New World and started Fahrenheit 451
Cybertherion
Sani Sabik Blood Bank
#117 - 2017-05-01 11:37:49 UTC
The Revolt of the Angels - Anatole France.

I only post here if EvE is offline. Which means my posts are never well timed.

EAT KRABSAK.

Rain Saisima
Doomheim
#118 - 2017-05-03 08:14:45 UTC
Galactic Milieu series, by Julian May.

Classic, has anyone else read it?
CMDR-HerpyDerpy Hurishima
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#119 - 2017-05-04 02:04:37 UTC
"What are you reading?"
This post
LordOdysseus
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#120 - 2017-05-08 00:50:09 UTC