These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Citadels] Carriers

First post
Author
Lugh Crow-Slave
#781 - 2016-05-15 01:42:57 UTC
[Thanatos, cheap shield]

Drone Damage Amplifier II
Damage Control I
Co-Processor I

Capital Shield Extender I
Pithum C-Type Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Pith X-Type EM Ward Field

Fighter Support Unit I
Fighter Support Unit I
Fighter Support Unit I
Networked Sensor Array
Heavy Energy Neutralizer I

Capital Core Defense Field Extender I
Capital Drone Durability Enhancer I
Capital Drone Speed Augmentor I

there you go cheaper(particularly since you get far more dps with t1s than the armor gets with t2 fighters) tanks more and does more DPS

you can use warfare links if you wish but i find that role better left to a t3 or command ship
Lugh Crow-Slave
#782 - 2016-05-15 02:01:23 UTC
back onto carriers alphaing all sub caps

[Maller, Brick]

Energized Armor Layering Membrane II
1600mm Steel Plates II
Mark I Compact Reactor Control Unit
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

10MN Afterburner II
J5b Enduring Warp Scrambler
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier

Heavy Pulse Laser II, Multifrequency M

Medium Trimark Armor Pump II

very cheep does not give up to much for tank and will survive the alpha of a 4 Dread guristas DDA thanny
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#783 - 2016-05-15 02:25:54 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

[Maller, Brick]

-snip-

very cheep does not give up to much for tank and will survive the alpha of a 4 Dread guristas DDA thanny

How much of that is due to sig radius interactions? See, people sometimes forget that fighters used to be subjectively better when they can land a wrecking hit for 2000 damage, multiply by 15 fighters.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#784 - 2016-05-15 02:31:53 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
[Thanatos, cheap shield]

-snibbidty snib-

Networked Sensor Array

there you go cheaper(particularly since you get far more dps with t1s than the armor gets with t2 fighters) tanks more and does more DPS

you can use warfare links if you wish but i find that role better left to a t3 or command ship

You see, this is the same kind of problem people who fit caldari vessels run in to.

What if, for the sake of discussion, you acknowledge that people might not necessarily make a 1.7m ehp ship the primary? What if we acknowledge that - by the time the fleet gets around to killing you, you're going to die no matter if you have 500k ehp or 50mil ehp?

This is why despite being a guy who flies shield ships 99.5% of the time I still know that when the chips are down damage application and versatility is the realms of armour and hence armour doctrines are still widely used in game. Perhaps not at the supercap level? I don't know. But regular carriers are much closer to battleships now, I suspect they'd have been given even lower EHP if CCP could have internally rationalised it against the skill system.

As I said earlier they aped the idea of our current carriers from other games.. in those games carriers are the 2nd fastest things on the field. They have big hp but literally no armour at all.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#785 - 2016-05-15 02:34:52 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

[Maller, Brick]

-snip-

How much of that is due to sig radius interactions? See, people sometimes forget that fighters used to be subjectively better when they can land a wrecking hit for 2000 damage, multiply by 15 fighters.

If it perfectly applies you still live but toy would not last much longer lol
Lugh Crow-Slave
#786 - 2016-05-15 02:38:05 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
[Thanatos, cheap shield]

-snibbidty snib-

Networked Sensor Array

You see, this is the same kind of problem people who fit caldari vessels run in to.

What if, for the sake of discussion, you acknowledge that people might not necessarily make a 1.7m ehp ship the primary? What if we acknowledge that - by the time the fleet gets around to killing you, you're going to die no matter if you have 500k ehp or 50mil ehp?

This is why despite being a guy who flies shield ships 99.5% of the time I still know that when the chips are down damage application and versatility is the realms of armour and hence armour doctrines are still widely used in game. Perhaps not at the supercap level? I don't know. But regular carriers are much closer to battleships now, I suspect they'd have been given even lower EHP if CCP could have internally rationalised it against the skill system.

As I said earlier they aped the idea of our current carriers from other games.. in those games carriers are the 2nd fastest things on the field. They have big hp but literally no armour at all.

Well that's what makes us differant when I'm flying a carrier I'm relying on my support fleet to assist my application not my own hull. The extra tank is not the important part even with less I would go woth shield on the thanny in order to utilize its dps.

The fit you are using I can get more tank and dps out of a chimera and still have mids for utility.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#787 - 2016-05-15 02:39:31 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

[Maller, Brick]

-snip-

Even without fighters the older carriers were far more effective in many places thanks to sub cap drones
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
CK-0FF
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#788 - 2016-05-15 02:53:05 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
[Thanatos, cheap shield]

Damage Control I
Co-Processor I

Fighter Support Unit I
Fighter Support Unit I
Fighter Support Unit I
Networked Sensor Array

That's an interesting fit. I wonder how important the drone rigs are though. You could fit the modules a bit better with the extra CPU from dropping one of those rigs.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#789 - 2016-05-15 02:56:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
[Thanatos, cheap shield]

Damage Control I
Co-Processor I

Fighter Support Unit I
Fighter Support Unit I
Fighter Support Unit I
Networked Sensor Array

That's an interesting fit. I wonder how important the drone rigs are though. You could fit the modules a bit better with the extra CPU from dropping one of those rigs.

only reason they are there was to make it similar to his fit i would go with full shield rigs

EDIT

however the rigs are valid and if you use the fit i had b4 everything fits fine

the extra tank i think would be huge but i will need to take it into a fight to find out while the nav rig does give it a bit more range ultimately i would say it depends on how you use it. If you are like me and use these in WH the extra tank probably is not needed.

over all though i find the nid and chimera to be much better (now that my guys have found a work around for the lower fighter bay on the chimera)
Lugh Crow-Slave
#790 - 2016-05-15 03:00:48 UTC
while we are on the topic of fits does anyone have an Archon fit? and a reason it is better than using any other carrier?
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#791 - 2016-05-15 05:31:53 UTC
I really don't ever expect to see carriers used in massive fights ever again. Maybe only as super defanging anti-fighter ships but otherwise no they really don't have any place in an environment where the question of their fighter hp pool or raw tank is going to be tested. At least now they can fight while catching reps if that's your thing.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#792 - 2016-05-15 05:47:14 UTC
not true we have been in fights where we have needed to restock fighters twice in a fight that lasted just over an hour. while unless you have a FAX on feild carrier tanks don't last long. while they will probably see almost no use in large capital fights there are still plenty of areas where large fights happen that involve very few capitals i feel this is where carriers are intended to be used.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#793 - 2016-05-15 06:44:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Caleb Seremshur
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
not true we have been in fights where we have needed to restock fighters twice in a fight that lasted just over an hour. while unless you have a FAX on feild carrier tanks don't last long. while they will probably see almost no use in large capital fights there are still plenty of areas where large fights happen that involve very few capitals i feel this is where carriers are intended to be used.

What kind of fights are these? Slippery pete vs rattlesnake fights?

Machariels?

Nightmare fleets?
Lugh Crow-Slave
#794 - 2016-05-15 06:59:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

Machariels?

Nightmare fleets?

WH

i suppose large is relative i count large as anything over 150 tottal
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#795 - 2016-05-15 11:38:36 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

Machariels?

Nightmare fleets?

WH

I guess WH space is different, in known space 100,150 is a decent fight but lowsec in particular, where you can field carriers you can field dreads. Which leaves carriers in a somewhat awkward position.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#796 - 2016-05-15 12:06:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

Machariels?

Nightmare fleets?

WH

I guess WH space is different, in known space 100,150 is a decent fight but lowsec in particular, where you can field carriers you can field dreads. Which leaves carriers in a somewhat awkward position.

as i stated a while back in this thread dreads put carriers in a very overshadowed position in most areas even WH. but i am starting to see their uses. turns out being able to take reps is extremely powerful (who knew right?) in most cases it doesn't make up for the minute long reload but we have started using that time to bring more fighters into the carriers as they need to wait out a weapons timer anyway
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#797 - 2016-05-16 01:09:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

Machariels?

Nightmare fleets?

WH

as i stated a while back in this thread dreads put carriers in a very overshadowed position in most areas even WH. but i am starting to see their uses. turns out being able to take reps is extremely powerful (who knew right?) in most cases it doesn't make up for the minute long reload but we have started using that time to bring more fighters into the carriers as they need to wait out a weapons timer anyway
Again, that may well be useful in WH Space, if your carrier survives long enough to lose all its fighters. Personally I wouldn't be counting on waiting out a timer in preparation to throw away another billion isk in fighters. In any other part of space, it only takes a blink of an eye and your carriers are surrounded by dreads and or even more subs.

In known space, the current role of carriers is to get in kill and get out before they can be hot dropped by - well, just about anything really.

3 carriers and a fax counter drop for a 15 man gate camp that has engaged a 10 man roam (carriers with gate camp have this won?) - Hics decloak, second cyno goes up, dreads land at optimal's, carriers dead (whoops).
This actually happened 2 days ago, unfortunately the fax managed to survive long enough to jump out and dock up next door, he just de-agressed as soon as the dreads landed leaving his carrier buddies to their fate. Fax was at zero on the gate, carriers (around 20 off the gate) too far away to make it out

While it was fun, the only real threat the dreads faced was an additional counter drop from a larger group while in siege, the carriers were utterly helpless and were disposed of as easily as a cerb fleet decimates T1 destroyers caught in bubbles.

Having said that, carriers are ok at what they do, which unfortunately isn't much or very well.
Light fighters are too disposable for the prices - They need to come down at least 50% in build costs. They are currently the most expensive "ammo" in the game..

Carriers themselves have no utility - They are restricted to fighting large subcaps (BC's and Battleships), without bringing enough support that you don't need carriers.

Income with carriers - Your better of with just about anything other than a carrier. Lose one squad of fighters, you've lost any profit you may have made from the site and as most rats will attack light fighters (in my testing) this is quite possible. Add to this, npc capital spawns which carriers just die to, carriers are a last choice for ratting or lvl 5's.

While carriers may well have a place in WH fleets, that same place is not really viable elsewhere unless you are the local sov holder in which case carriers can be pretty OP due to the limited mobility (jump ranges and fatigue) of anything that could potentially counter them.

NB; I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to show the differences. Devs did a good job at keeping carriers viable in WH space, (which was a design goal) but that usefulness doesn't work outside of a wormhole.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#798 - 2016-05-16 01:35:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
like i said even in WH a lot of the time you are better off with a dread just because you do not need logi and your HAW are far more reliable and consistent while having the same DPS and not needing a reload

i was just trying to point out small areas that carriers can still be used and ways we have found to make use of their re-load time.

i feel if they gave them more e-war options even if it was just with the support fighters and not local based carriers would have a place that dreads couldn't fill themselves. even with out that the current support fighters are a joke even if i could launch them w/o giving up DPS no way i would have them take valuable space in my fighter bay.

EDIT;

wait maybe carriers will not be as bad as we think

what if they have been pre-nerfed to allow for the new guitarists drone set?
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#799 - 2016-05-16 04:01:48 UTC
Imagine the drama if geckos become actual fighter drones.

Yeah I can't imagine the gurista capital being a bonused carrier. It will be some tardy phoenix variant that noone will ever use.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#800 - 2016-05-16 04:12:35 UTC
oh i meant the guitarists implant set that is supposed to affect drones and fighters not the capital

i'm worried the faction capitals will be as rare as the supers so i don't think i'll ever wind up dealing with them. it would be nice if the dread/carriers were just rare enough to make them worth about 5-8b so they could bridge the gap between cap and supper cap though :/