These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Citadels] Carriers

First post
Author
Lugh Crow-Slave
#421 - 2016-04-18 01:36:01 UTC
Narku Bourgeoisie Tonisilitis wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
ok this is new they were working yesterday (and while tethered) i could even take fighters out of other ppls fleet bays to do it
EDIT:
i just now went onto sisi you can put fighters into the bay when using a mobile depot

Huh, it wasn't working for me. I'll check later but if it was working at some point I'm sure it'll work when it goes live.

aye seems the fighter "q" command is also broken

also noticed fighters now orbit the carrier and the drone return hotkey now works

looks like they are really geting the mechanics down even if it is two steps forward one bug back :p

just hope they get them down in time to finish the balance issues
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#422 - 2016-04-18 03:07:12 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Why shouldn't it be possible to move fighters in and out of the fighter bay while tethered? It's bad enough that (it seems) you can't swap them out when your bay is full

Because no ship can refit in space

And no you can't swap them out when full either to prevent people from carrying more than they should

Sorry but the ONLY way to load or unload new fighters is to be in space - Docked or Tethered to a Citadel, you can't move fighters to or from launch tubes.

Bay size is one pretty encouraging reason to not use support fighters - At 3k/m each, that is a lot of space that could go to something else.
That aside - You will need 12K/m of space in your fighter hangar if using anti drone fighters, 9Km if just using support or fighters capable of hitting other ships.

Seems there are still more reasons not to use a carrier over a subcap or dread.

-- - -- - -- - --
Anti-drone fighters - With a total of 72 HP damage difference between fastest and slowest - There is no reason to use anything other than Gram II's, unless your going for a specific damage type.
Equite II's may be useful at 55m/s slower than the Gram II and potentially 24 more HP damage per volley.
Locust II's don't have much going for them being Kinetic and 165m/s slower than the Gram II, Satyr II could be useful if your target is right on top of you and does less than 1Km/s.

It seems a shame Devs didn't bother to make the different faction types different enough to make a difference. Hopefully they are not at release stats yet and some thought may yet be put into making them unique. Maybe the Gram could get its Tackle attribute changed to target painting, the Satyr changed to scram for stopping heavy fighters just MJDing out of range, leaving the other 2 with the web bonus.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
CK-0FF
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#423 - 2016-04-18 03:27:10 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Why shouldn't it be possible to move fighters in and out of the fighter bay while tethered? It's bad enough that (it seems) you can't swap them out when your bay is full

And no you can't swap them out when full either to prevent people from carrying more than they should

Sorry but the ONLY way to load or unload new fighters is to be in space - Docked or Tethered to a Citadel, you can't move fighters to or from launch tubes.

Bay size is one pretty encouraging reason to not use support fighters - At 3k/m each, that is a lot of space that could go to something else.
That aside - You will need 12K/m of space in your fighter hangar if using anti drone fighters, 9Km if just using support or fighters capable of hitting other ships.

-- - -- - -- - --
Anti-drone fighters - With a total of 72 HP damage difference between fastest and slowest - There is no reason to use anything other than Gram II's, unless your going for a specific damage type.
Equite II's may be useful at 55m/s slower than the Gram II and potentially 24 more HP damage per volley.
Locust II's don't have much going for them being Kinetic and 165m/s slower than the Gram II, Satyr II could be useful if your target is right on top of you and does less than 1Km/s.

It seems a shame Devs didn't bother to make the different faction types different enough to make a difference. Hopefully they are not at release stats yet and some thought may yet be put into making them unique. Maybe the Gram could get its Tackle attribute changed to target painting, the Satyr changed to scram for stopping heavy fighters just MJDing out of range, leaving the other 2 with the web bonus.

I'm not sure, but I believe the tackle ability prevents heavy fighter MJDs, considering it already acts like a scram and stops MWDs.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#424 - 2016-04-18 07:27:32 UTC
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman wrote:

I'm not sure, but I believe the tackle ability prevents heavy fighter MJDs, considering it already acts like a scram and stops MWDs.

it does tested this during one of the mass tests
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#425 - 2016-04-18 10:30:55 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

-- - -- - -- - --

You may be right but so far I've only noticed it slow other fighters down and they are still able to activate their MWD attribute. All 4 of the anti fighter/drone fighters have the same ability, -6% to velocity per fighter. MWD's still work although at a slowed pace on normal fighters, I don't know about MJD for heavies as my testing buddy hasn't been on for a few days.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#426 - 2016-04-18 10:41:01 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

So the tackle ability, -6% to velocity per fighter, on anti fighters acts as a scram?

My opinions are mine.

CK-0FF
#427 - 2016-04-18 11:18:42 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

So the tackle ability, -6% to velocity per fighter, on anti fighters acts as a scram?

Yes. Did you perhaps use it against superiority fighters and see them still activate their ability? They have afterburners instead of MWD/MJD so it would be reasonable if they still work.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#428 - 2016-04-18 21:45:42 UTC
I think it would be better if we made carriers have larger fighter hangers but made it take longer to reload fighters this would prevent them from having to sit on their hands half way though a moderately long fight
Gary Webb
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#429 - 2016-04-18 22:29:27 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
ok this is new they were working yesterday (and while tethered) i could even take fighters out of other ppls fleet bays to do it
EDIT:
i just now went onto sisi you can put fighters into the bay when using a mobile depot

Huh, it wasn't working for me. I'll check later but if it was working at some point I'm sure it'll work when it goes live.

also noticed fighters now orbit the carrier and the drone return hotkey now works

looks like they are really geting the mechanics down even if it is two steps forward one bug back :p

does this meed there is now a hot key for fighters to attack again? will test tonight
CK-0FF
#430 - 2016-04-18 22:46:37 UTC
Gary Webb wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
EDIT:

does this meed there is now a hot key for fighters to attack again? will test tonight

F1?
Lugh Crow-Slave
#431 - 2016-04-18 22:47:35 UTC
Gary Webb wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
EDIT:

F1?

thats what i keep telling people
Zenafar
#432 - 2016-04-18 23:27:52 UTC
And "Q" is working fine. Also Shift + R, Shift + Alt + R now working aswell.
Can't understand why many ppl have problems with ratting, wrong fighters perhaps. Some ppl still don't know that there are 2 types of light fighters.
Also I tried to kill Domi and Gila today, with simple but pretty tanky fit. Domi destroyed within 30 sec and Gila was on armor after 1 shot and 1 rocket salvo (it's 1 sec). Gila with mwd and 1 nano can't run away from fighters. I used Thanatos with 1 DDA 4 FSU 2 DNC and 1 OTL with tracking script. It was just stupid test but carrier isn't worthless
Lugh Crow-Slave
#433 - 2016-04-18 23:32:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Zenafar wrote:
Can't understand why many ppl have problems with ratting, wrong fighters perhaps. Some ppl still don't know that there are 2 types of light fighters.
Also I tried to kill Domi and Gila today, with simple but pretty tanky fit. Domi destroyed within 30 sec and Gila was on armor after 1 shot and 1 rocket salvo (it's 1 sec). Gila with mwd and 1 nano can't run away from fighters. I used Thanatos with 1 DDA 4 FSU 2 DNC and 1 OTL with tracking script. It was just stupid test but carrier isn't worthless

kill a dromi with what?

also q is still not working for me the overlay comes up but that is it(figured it out it does not work if you are using a lap top touch pad no idea what this changes)

and it's not that carriers are worthless its that they are worth less than dreads with HAW still

the fact that you got a gila into 1/2 armor after one salvo is surprising how close were you when you launched fighters and how many died b4 they made it?

then you now have to deal with getting to your next target

soon you will need to deal with the 48 second reload

all of that lowers your true DPS to less than a T2 cruiser

i have no issue with a carrier being burst DPS but the burst needs to be high enough to warrant it

otherwise if CCP does not feel more DPS is balanced give them more E-war potential
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#434 - 2016-04-19 01:30:28 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Zenafar wrote:

kill a dromi with what?

also q is still not working for me the overlay comes up but that is it

and it's not that carriers are worthless its that they are worth less than dreads with HAW still

the fact that you got a gila into 1/2 armor after one salvo is surprising how close were you when you launched fighters and how many died b4 they made it?

At zero without the Gila fighting back, 1 rocket salvo (from 3 squads of light fighters) will put it into armor.
At anything over 30K the Gila if used right will have killed half of your first squad of fighters before they get in range - With logi, the Gila is in no fear of getting killed. Even an XLASB will out rep rocket salvos long enough to kill off enough fighters to reduce their damage and chances of killing you (in a 1 v 1 scenario). All the Gila needs to do is keep you pointed long enough for dreads to arrive and pop the carrier.
PS; You don't need to kill a complete squad of light fighters - Just 3 or 4 from each squad reduces their damage enough to be manageable. Hint; don't kill them all - Force the carrier pilot to recall the squad or abandon them and reload tubes.

Gila has no need to run away from fighters, it just has to not land at zero on a carrier and know how to use its DPS - That pair of hammerheads chew through light fighter squads pretty efficiently. Not easily mind you, just well enough to reduce incoming DPS to a decent level.
-- - -- - -- - --

Also when testing, it is easy to set up a ship to die to light fighters if it is 1 on 1 but in a fleet where your 3 squads of fighters will get called primary - Be ready to recall whats left of the squads often.
Light fighters will be a nice distraction for enemy subcaps while their dreads volley carriers off the field.
-- - -- - -- - --

Miss 'Assassination' Cayman - I don't know what happened in my previous tests but the velocity ability is pretty effective. Bombers are like ducks in a shooting gallery once hit with it.

My opinions are mine.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#435 - 2016-04-19 01:36:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Miss 'Assassination' Cayman - I don't know what happened in my previous tests but the velocity ability is pretty effective. Bombers are like ducks in a shooting gallery once hit with it.

the superiority fighters seem to be the only ones they got right

they do one thing but they do it well and at the same time they can still be shut down and handled by an organized fleet keeping them from being op

i also went and tested against a Gila i could only get about 40% shield with the salvo and it had more than enough time to be repped up b4 i could go again. he was safe even if he didn't want to kill my fighters
Lugh Crow-Slave
#436 - 2016-04-19 01:47:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
i'm starting to wonder if the disadvantages are making them to hard to balance

the line between op and u.p. is very very thin this combined with the fact that ccp is trying to make one capital only work on sub caps and at the same time giving the rest an option to chose

another thing is fighters are not cheap by any means making HAW even more attractive
CK-0FF
#437 - 2016-04-19 03:16:55 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
i'm starting to wonder if the disadvantages are making them to hard to balance

the line between op and u.p. is very very thin this combined with the fact that ccp is trying to make one capital only work on sub caps and at the same time giving the rest an option to chose

another thing is fighters are not cheap by any means making HAW even more attractive

Yeah, balancing carriers and light fighters is ridiculously hard. First of all you have to deal with supers using light fighters, so you can't make the fighters themselves too strong and have to figure out what goes in the base stats and what goes in carrier bonuses. Then there's the matter of balancing their DPS so they don't beat dreads at sustained damage over time, while still making their damage viable despite time spent moving to the target and the ability to kill fighters. Then there's a whole mess with range/speed/DPS/application to balance how well they do against small ships vs big ships.

I don't envy whoever has to figure out the balance, but I also don't think they're getting it right.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#438 - 2016-04-19 03:20:32 UTC

I don't envy whoever has to figure out the balance, but I also don't think they're getting it right.

i'll give them this much they are going in the right direction it feels i'm just not sure it's fast enough.

i wish we could get some feed back from them so we could be more help

right now we are going off what we think they are trying to do as far as we know they want them to be titan killers
CK-0FF
#439 - 2016-04-19 03:26:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
I think light fighters need better speed for moving between targets while still having questionable ability to keep up with targets once engaged. It seems like giving them back the ability to warp around on grid might need to be considered. Now that they have to be within the carrier's lock range to initiate the attack or use missiles, and can't automatically follow targets, a lot of the concerns about warping fighters would be non-issues. Without that, a speed increase, or shorter MWD cooldown, fighters aren't going to have any meaningful range in actual fights due to concerns about ammo and fighters dying. Since they can be scrammed/pointed and are only 3 targets instead of 10-15, warping to recall squadrons still wouldn't be an issue.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#440 - 2016-04-19 04:04:57 UTC
That point about them now being 3 targets not 15 is huge because it means you only need to catch one target to lock down 1/3 the dps

Just reiterating the idea of them having differant drawbacks adds to the gameplay but ccp needs to be able to balance these cons with appropriate pros. The new game play with these is amazing and I can't wait to use them on tq but if they ate not a valid choice do to ballance all this will be pointless