These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Citadels] Carriers

First post
Author
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#341 - 2016-04-11 01:28:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Sekeris wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Agreed (mostly) Armor carriers are in a reasonable place, being able to use mids for fighter enhancements, which actually makes them useful for PVE, less so in PVP.
Sadly though this is not reflected over to shield carriers, 3 cpu upgrades to fit a 50/50 T2 - meta fit, that has way less utility then either of the armor carriers.

All carriers need CPU and PG balanced Prior to this going live.
They need 1 more launch tube and 10K more space in fighter bays, or support fighters need to be the same size as the others. One flight (3 support fighters) is 9K m3 of a relatively small holding bay and as you can only use 1 flight at a time it is a shame it has to be at the expense of being able to apply any real damage to larger ships.
If a new carrier is incapable of defending itself from and even killing a battleship, then what use are they?

Capital warfare should be about capital ships being able to kill each other - Not one whole class dedicated to killing subcaps but being killed by any other capital with no chance to defend itself. Especially when you have super carriers capable of volleying carriers off the field.

If the plan is to reduce carrier use by making them barely useful - Your on the right track.

Actually, as pointed out in the other thread, shield carriers work perfectly if you fit just buffer. The archon (armor) thanny and nid (shiled) are able to fit a ~1.6-1.8 mil buffer. The chimi might actually be OP buffer fit at just north of 3 mil buffer. However if you want active tank you will not be able to stick it on a shield carrier due to cpu limitations. As such i think now the problem is not with the carriers, but with the requirements for the mods.

Agree on the support fighters, as long as the space superiority fighters can kill em this quick, they need to be smaller. And they are not all that great to start with, as you lose 33% of your dps if you launch a tube of those.

Carriers need a defined role, and supers need to not be able to kill them quite so quickly..
Show me any fit that has over 1 mil EHP on new carriers please - My fitting skills must be pretty bad because I can't get anything close to that.

Oops, my bad - You can fit a 1.5 mil buffer tank on a niddy - 3 X T2 Shield Extenders, 2 X T2 invul, DCU and 3 T1 extender rigs. Only problem with it is, you need to have a fax close to you field or die really fast - 3 Squads of Heavy Fighters (not even maximum flights) will volley you off the field with their torp ability.
Reality is, using a buffer fit on any carrier requires a FAX, limitations with FAX should see 1 Fax per 2 carriers and hope the FAX doesn't get called primary.
Sekeris; Do you have an alt that can fly a FAX so you can field a Buffer Fit carrier?

And honestly - Isn't everyone over being pussies hiding in a blob. Carriers are meant to be anti subcap platforms - How much use do you think they will be if everyone has to sit on top of each other to get reps.

Everyone fitting buffer - doesn't that pretty much defeat the whole purpose of these changes. Has CCP failed before they are released? If the best option is to fit buffer and sit on logi, that is what everyone will do which is real shame as carriers (all carriers) need a role and that role shouldn't be as fodder for dreads and supers.

You more than anyone else in this thread have proven CCP need to take a long hard look at carriers before this release goes live.
Many thanks..

Buffer is for pussies too afraid to actually risk anything in a fight. And that is exactly what everyone will use.

-- - -- - -- - -- - --

Probably intended although I don't know why - If you abandon fighters, you can't reconnect to them. Your only options are to scoop them (reconnect to lost drones doesn't work, it just says no drones matching frequency).
So my thinking on these new mechanics was, you would be able to position fighters on a grid but not leave yourself defenseless by being able to abandon and reconnect as required. If your only option to get fighters back is to scoop them - Placing them around a grid is somewhat pointless.
*Carriers need a dedicated launch tube for support fighters and a much larger hangar if they are to be able to deal any dps for more than a few minutes.

NB; Sekeris - You might want to look at the limitations of the new Fax's before going head long into how good buffer fits could be. With a maximum of 2 remote reps per (3 if logi doesn't mind capping out fast) - Plus the fact logi is always in short supply (who constantly wants to go into fights and not get on killmails) - There will be a lot of buffer fit carriers not getting reps.
With a basic active tanked Niddy (half the fit being Meta to avoid using more than 2 CPU upgrades) I was able to kill 2 flights of Mantis Heavy Fighters before losing all my anti drone fighters and eventually getting popped. Whole fight took less than 3 minutes.

These changes were meant to bring versatility to carriers and create something new - If nothing changes because sitting in a blob still works best - Why is this being done at all.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
CK-0FF
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#342 - 2016-04-11 01:42:39 UTC
You say the only way to recover fighters is to scoop them. Are you aware that if you warp off grid and recall them they'll warp to you?
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#343 - 2016-04-11 01:49:30 UTC
Quick questions for CCP Larrikin - In an upside down world, where a friendly Hic pilot has caught a NYX out alone.

1; How many carriers would be needed to kill it? Presuming you can field nothing but buffer Carriers and the Nyx can't get help in less than 20 minutes (being the time you have to kill it).

2; How many carriers, presuming no FAX available, would the NYX kill before going down?

PS; I know it is more than 3 - We have tried.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#344 - 2016-04-11 01:50:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman wrote:
You say the only way to recover fighters is to scoop them. Are you aware that if you warp off grid and recall them they'll warp to you?

Sorry according to blogs - New Fighters have no warp ability.
Hmm seems Devs got it wrong again, they will warp to you if you abandon a grid. Doesn't help in the scenario I was referring to though.

Placing fighters around a grid for strategic purposes is meant to be a thing. Only problem is, if your fighters are say 1,000K from you in a strategic position, you are defenseless as the time it would take them to return to you would probably see you dead. Under attack, a carrier is going to need all of its 3 flights of fighters to defend itself. Once flight alone might save you from a couple of T1 cruisers but that's about all.

So, setting fighters in strategic positions (where an enemy "might" turn up) then abandoning them until they are needed seemed like a good idea - Except you can't do it.

Just another drawback to new fighter mechanics.

And seriously if you need to warp off grid to recover fighters - Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of fighters around a grid?

My opinions are mine.

CK-0FF
#345 - 2016-04-11 02:19:04 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Quick questions for CCP Larrikin - In an upside down world, where a friendly Hic pilot has caught a NYX out alone.

1; How many carriers would be needed to kill it? Presuming you can field nothing but buffer Carriers and the Nyx can't get help in less than 20 minutes (being the time you have to kill it).

2; How many carriers, presuming no FAX available, would the NYX kill before going down?

Well that's not the brightest thing to try. That's like using T1 frigates with no logi to take on a RLML Caracal. Not only are the ships you're using not designed to engage the target you're engaging, it is designed to kill the ships you're using. In addition, carriers are supposed to be fleet ships now, so not having logi is just crippling your side. If you want to kill capitals, use dreads, titans, or supers.

Sgt Ocker wrote:

Sorry - New Fighters have no warp ability.
PLEASE read the blogs.

And seriously if you need to warp off grid to recover fighters - Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of fighters around a grid?

Fighters do not warp with the one exception of following you off grid. While I wish there would be a faster way to recall them from long distances on grid, there isn't.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#346 - 2016-04-11 02:36:51 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Well that's not the brightest thing to try. That's like using T1 frigates with no logi to take on a RLML Caracal. Not only are the ships you're using not designed to engage the target you're engaging, it is designed to kill the ships you're using. In addition, carriers are supposed to be fleet ships now, so not having logi is just crippling your side. If you want to kill capitals, use dreads, titans, or supers.

Sgt Ocker wrote:

Sorry - New Fighters have no warp ability.
PLEASE read the blogs.

Fighters do not warp with the one exception of following you off grid. While I wish there would be a faster way to recall them from long distances on grid, there isn't.

Yeah I've done the 5 T1 frigates vs a caracal - he killed 2 before going down.
The question wasn't about ideal situations - It was about how much more powerful is a Nyx compared to a Carrier.
Mainly because right now, with what is on SISI, I would say a Nyx is an Abaddon and a carrier a T1 frigate when is comes to comparing.

So far these changes seem to be about - Dreads and Titans staying much the same, Supers getting sooo much better and carriers left to scramble through shite looking for something to make them usable.

Regarding the warping, originally new fighters were to have no warp capability, seems devs changed their mind so you can at least try to recover your fighters (if they aren't scrammed by support fighters) if you've lost or going to lose the fight and are running away.

Carriers need ONE ability/bonus to make them worth using - So far there isn't one.

For Devs;
If the desired meta is Archons and Fax, please just say so and stop hiding behind the pretext of carriers being balanced - they aren't.

My opinions are mine.

CK-0FF
#347 - 2016-04-11 03:03:46 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
For Devs;
If the desired meta is Archons and Fax, please just say so and stop hiding behind the pretext of carriers being balanced - they aren't.

There is no pretext of carriers being balanced. They've spend most of this time getting the mechanics working. While it's important to have some amount of balance to test the mechanics, a lot of the balancing has to come after everything is working.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#348 - 2016-04-11 03:19:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Sgt Ocker wrote:
For Devs;

There is no pretext of carriers being balanced. They've spend most of this time getting the mechanics working. While it's important to have some amount of balance to test the mechanics, a lot of the balancing has to come after everything is working.

not to mention the archon is probably the worst of the carriers atm

now another concern i have is the 6 second per charge reload for fighters thats 48 seconds if you use them all

are we just missing some way ccp sees fighters as extremely powerful or something

EDIT:

again in fairness 6 seconds could just be a place holder to better test the system i'm just commenting on it in case its not same with most of my posts
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#349 - 2016-04-11 07:58:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Sgt Ocker wrote:
For Devs;

Problem with that is; When the new capitals are released there will only be one really viable option so that is what doctrines will be built on.
From there on out it won't matter what Devs do, it will be too late, unless we can go in with something to make other carriers stand out as being new and different.

Looking at Archon - Thanatos, Chimera - Nidhoggur as paired for doctrine uses.
The idea being, having options to sitting in a blob on Logi (in triage) to survive.
Archon and Apostle are in a pretty good place (tank like there is no tomorrow), Thanatos and Lif need a role (idea below)
If the Minmatar carrier and Fax have a defined role (outlined below), it may encourage players to look at the Caldari carrier and Fax in a different light.
-- - -- - -- - --
Ideas :-
All carriers get one dedicated support fighter launch tube + 27K dedicated support fighter bay (allowing 3 flights, 1 loaded 2 in reserve)
All fleet hangars increase in size to 30K/m (20K for dreads to allow for carrying spare set of guns/launchers), at least make them able to fit something other than a few capital cap charges.

Nidhoggur / Thanatos role bonus's
200% bonus to AB speed
30% reduction to shield booster, armor repairer CPU and PG needs.
Add lock range to Networked sensor array. 4587.5 lock range as a role bonus is just a bit of overkill and a waste of a role bonus, you want a long range lock ability you pay for it with capacitor. Then the role bonus can be given to something meaningful, as suggested.

Lif, Ninazu role bonuses
200% bonus to AB speed
30% reduction to shield boosters, armor repairers and remote shield booster, remote armor repair CPU and PG requirements.
50% bonus to Minmatar, Gallente Carrier ship bonuses, while not in Siege.

Possibly a new triage module - that gives 50% of triage bonuses without the mobility drawbacks. Uses double the stront of standard triage modules (400 for T2 before skills), has a 5 minute cycle time with a 5 minute cool down before reactivation.

This would allow Minmatar and Gallente Carriers and their respective Fax's to become more mobile on a grid, while still leaving a place for the current triage with its increased repping bonuses. It also has the drawback of only being used for only 5 minutes of every 10 - So leaving those relying on it more vulnerable for 5 minutes at a time.

My opinions are mine.

Anthar Thebess
#350 - 2016-04-11 08:16:44 UTC
Archon and Chimera are still way to good compared to thanny and niddy.

I don't count any more that you will make thanny and niddy also good for fleet combat, or better for solo combat than amarr, or caldari carriers.
Consider then making them unique.
(i will burn in hell for this) Make thanny dps much bigger, or increase application. Make thanny the ultimate PVE boat Roll
Niddy, reduce EHP even more, remove additional fighter bonuses, increase fleet hangar a bit, reduce align speed, and offer 7.5 LY jump range and farigue reduction at lvl 5 skills

This way you will make all 4 carriers unique and give them a role.
Archon - armor king, fleet ship
Chimera - shield princess Twisted, fleet ship
Thanny - dps king, tormentor of the rats, and home defense fleets "i win/whelp button"
Niddy - logistics king, desired by many to move ships, and equipment all around the eve, useless in combat, but this is not his role.

Sekeris
Order of Celestial Knights
#351 - 2016-04-11 14:27:29 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Show me any fit that has over 1 mil EHP on new carriers please - My fitting skills must be pretty bad because I can't get anything close to that.

Oops, my bad - You can fit a 1.5 mil buffer tank on a niddy - 3 X T2 Shield Extenders, 2 X T2 invul, DCU and 3 T1 extender rigs. Only problem with it is, you need to have a fax close to you field or die really fast - 3 Squads of Heavy Fighters (not even maximum flights) will volley you off the field with their torp ability.
Reality is, using a buffer fit on any carrier requires a FAX, limitations with FAX should see 1 Fax per 2 carriers and hope the FAX doesn't get called primary.
Sekeris; Do you have an alt that can fly a FAX so you can field a Buffer Fit carrier?

And honestly - Isn't everyone over being pussies hiding in a blob. Carriers are meant to be anti subcap platforms - How much use do you think they will be if everyone has to sit on top of each other to get reps.

Everyone fitting buffer - doesn't that pretty much defeat the whole purpose of these changes. Has CCP failed before they are released? If the best option is to fit buffer and sit on logi, that is what everyone will do which is real shame as carriers (all carriers) need a role and that role shouldn't be as fodder for dreads and supers.

You more than anyone else in this thread have proven CCP need to take a long hard look at carriers before this release goes live.
Many thanks..

Buffer is for pussies too afraid to actually risk anything in a fight. And that is exactly what everyone will use.

-- - -- - -- - -- - --

Probably intended although I don't know why - If you abandon fighters, you can't reconnect to them. Your only options are to scoop them (reconnect to lost drones doesn't work, it just says no drones matching frequency).
So my thinking on these new mechanics was, you would be able to position fighters on a grid but not leave yourself defenseless by being able to abandon and reconnect as required. If your only option to get fighters back is to scoop them - Placing them around a grid is somewhat pointless.
*Carriers need a dedicated launch tube for support fighters and a much larger hangar if they are to be able to deal any dps for more than a few minutes.

NB; Sekeris - You might want to look at the limitations of the new Fax's before going head long into how good buffer fits could be. With a maximum of 2 remote reps per (3 if logi doesn't mind capping out fast) - Plus the fact logi is always in short supply (who constantly wants to go into fights and not get on killmails) - There will be a lot of buffer fit carriers not getting reps.
With a basic active tanked Niddy (half the fit being Meta to avoid using more than 2 CPU upgrades) I was able to kill 2 flights of Mantis Heavy Fighters before losing all my anti drone fighters and eventually getting popped. Whole fight took less than 3 minutes.

These changes were meant to bring versatility to carriers and create something new - If nothing changes because sitting in a blob still works best - Why is this being done at all.

Ok, i never ment to come across as thinking buffer is the be all, end all of fitting. The point i was trying to make is that carriers at the moment are *only* able to fit a buffer and have a fit that remotely works. Otherwise the fits are not possible. I am in a position to use multiple cap capable alts, but that should not be required (and in PVP multiboxing will not end well for me!).

I also seen that FAX are pretty terrible to fit, and almost impossible to fit to a degree that will also let them survive a doomsday. Heck, even a max buffer carrier will only barely take a hit from those.

In short, a lot of balancing still needs to happen on carriers, supers, fighters, bombers and possibly dreads and titans, and i hope they can manage before the launch deadline (and fanfest).

At the moment the long range lock is a nice gimic, but it wont 'save' carriers, or make them useful for anything other than ratting.
CK-0FF
#352 - 2016-04-11 22:47:38 UTC
The lock range won't even help for ratting since you need to be closer than you do now for flight time to be reasonable.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#353 - 2016-04-12 01:40:01 UTC
Anthar Thebess wrote:
Archon and Chimera are still way to good compared to thanny and niddy.

I don't count any more that you will make thanny and niddy also good for fleet combat, or better for solo combat than amarr, or caldari carriers.
Consider then making them unique.
(i will burn in hell for this) Make thanny dps much bigger, or increase application. Make thanny the ultimate PVE boat Roll
Niddy, reduce EHP even more, remove additional fighter bonuses, increase fleet hangar a bit, reduce align speed, and offer 7.5 LY jump range and farigue reduction at lvl 5 skills

This way you will make all 4 carriers unique and give them a role.
Archon - armor king, fleet ship
Chimera - shield princess Twisted, fleet ship
Thanny - dps king, tormentor of the rats, and home defense fleets "i win/whelp button"
Niddy - logistics king, desired by many to move ships, and equipment all around the eve, useless in combat, but this is not his role.

have you actualy tried using these in a fight yet?

Archon and Chimera are trash where the thanny and nid can actually be used

archon cant get any semblance of dps and the chimera runs out of fighters long b4 its tank is threatened

the only point when archon and chimera become more useful than the nid/than is in fights where the DPS is high generally do to other capitals on the field and in these situations using a super or a dread with HAW is far more effective
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#354 - 2016-04-12 01:46:31 UTC
Sekeris wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Many thanks..

-- - -- - -- - -- - --

Ok, i never ment to come across as thinking buffer is the be all, end all of fitting. The point i was trying to make is that carriers at the moment are *only* able to fit a buffer and have a fit that remotely works. Otherwise the fits are not possible. I am in a position to use multiple cap capable alts, but that should not be required (and in PVP multiboxing will not end well for me!).

I also seen that FAX are pretty terrible to fit, and almost impossible to fit to a degree that will also let them survive a doomsday. Heck, even a max buffer carrier will only barely take a hit from those.

In short, a lot of balancing still needs to happen on carriers, supers, fighters, bombers and possibly dreads and titans, and i hope they can manage before the launch deadline (and fanfest).

At the moment the long range lock is a nice gimic, but it wont 'save' carriers, or make them useful for anything other than ratting.
Hmm interesting concept - Long lock range and ratting, you don't even need to have a carrier in the anom. Warp in drop fighters then just align to the next anom, pos or station, you can't get out of range so align with AB on therefore reducing risk of being caught by an even larger factor. Someone warps to the anom and all that is on grid is a few light fighters And a carrier 3,000 or 4,000 K away. It may take a bit longer to finish each anom but reduces the risk of being caught doing it by so much it could be worth it.

As for balancing - I doubt very much if Devs even see a need for it, let alone look at it before Fanfest or next year for that matter. The rest of this year will be spent bug hunting and preparing the next half finished release to come to TQ.

The Devs have "balanced" Fax's and Carriers to what they expect from them -
For example, the Minokawa has 593,750 PG yet a T2 remote shield booster uses 107,500 PG, the new ancillary booster 97,500 PG + Triage Module 105,000, that's over half of the available PG for 3 modules relating specifically to that ships role, (not much of a logi if it can only fit 2 remote reps).
Of course you can drop to compact meta remote booster module, making reps far less effective but freeing up a little PG - Not sure how the fit would look though or perform as the meta modules along with the new faction ones aren't yet available on SISI.

I do understand your thinking regarding Buffer fits - My concern is that if carriers are released in their current guise, Archons and Apostles will be all we see, as no carrier is especially good at anything, less DPS for a good tank is a pretty decent trade off.
N+1 continues to rule capital engagements - Nothing changes..

It won't matter that one carrier has a better damage bonus, if it can't survive long enough to take advantage of it.

My opinions are mine.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#355 - 2016-04-12 02:21:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Sgt Ocker wrote:

I do understand your thinking regarding Buffer fits - My concern is that if carriers are released in their current guise, Archons and Apostles will be all we see, as no carrier is especially good at anything, less DPS for a good tank is a pretty decent trade off.

It won't matter that one carrier has a better damage bonus, if it can't survive long enough to take advantage of it.

but carriers are not built for capital engagements if it escalates to that they are mostly useless they have less tank than a dread with HAW (and less dps when in a fleet) and they are just worse than a super. but when it comes to supporting a sub cap fight (what the carriers are now built for) the thanny and the nid are far better

now if there was a reason to use them in larger fights

local e-war bonus

e-war fighter bonus

then there would be a reason to see these in larger fights
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#356 - 2016-04-12 02:55:31 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

but carriers are not built for capital engagements if it escalates to that they are mostly useless they have less tank than a dread with HAW (and less dps when in a fleet) and they are just worse than a super. but when it comes to supporting a sub cap fight (what the carriers are now built for) the thanny and the nid are far better

I agree - So we may as well just delete all carriers and be done with it.

As per my ideas a few posts back, I want ti try and see carriers have a roll. Give the Thany and Niddy a reason to be fielded.

Honestly though, if you are right and carriers are indeed not intended for capital fights, why are they even still in the game. Any group fielding carriers against subcaps is going to find themselves at the mercy of any dreads the subcap group drops in. So what really are carriers meant to be for?

I'd like to hear from CCP Larrikin regarding Devs thoughts on the role of Carriers in the coming meta.
Probably won't though because Devs are taking a lets wait and see approach, as they have no clear vision for carriers. Just lots of micro management crap (with 2 over sized UI's to deal with) leading to less than desirable damage and application.

What started out with good intentions, removing the ability for invulnerable remote repping Archon fleets, has degenerated into carriers with no real role on a capital battlefield.
The over riding presumption being, carriers will be an anti subcap platform with no role or defense against other capitals is somewhat demeaning to every carrier pilot who has wasted his or her time training carrier skills.

The "opportunities" team was able to find 5 mins to "waste" answering concerns of players in regard to something that is not going to have anywhere near the impact on TQ these changes will bring.
Is team "game of broken carriers" so up against it they can't address some of the player concerns?

My opinions are mine.

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#357 - 2016-04-12 04:08:07 UTC
The thanatos is great for rapidly killing cruisee sized targets. Just use 2x tp and a drone tracking computer + drone nav. They can be scary good against subcaps amd push 1mil ehp with t2 modules without using ehp rigs.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#358 - 2016-04-12 11:01:13 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
The thanatos is great for rapidly killing cruisee sized targets. Just use 2x tp and a drone tracking computer + drone nav. They can be scary good against subcaps amd push 1mil ehp with t2 modules without using ehp rigs.

1.5 mil buffer with decent skills.
Thing is how do you intend to use it?

Solo, small gang, fleet, with Fax, without Fax. All play a part in how long until you die because you know, the chances of you coming across 2 or 3 cruisers you admittedly could kill quite easily, is far less likely than you coming across a mid sized gang with Ewar, neuts and a lot more dps than your buffer Thany can tank for too long.

Try fitting it with an active tank, you know the type a solo Thany pilot would use to go hunting cruisers.

My opinions are mine.

CK-0FF
#359 - 2016-04-12 11:16:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:

Solo, small gang, fleet, with Fax, without Fax. All play a part in how long until you die because you know, the chances of you coming across 2 or 3 cruisers you admittedly could kill quite easily, is far less likely than you coming across a mid sized gang with Ewar, neuts and a lot more dps than your buffer Thany can tank for too long.

Try fitting it with an active tank, you know the type a solo Thany pilot would use to go hunting cruisers.

How about not solo? There are situations where one side will have a decent fleet with logi and be fighting a cruiser fleet. Maybe they need some help and have a cyno ready. You jump into a subcap fleet fight not as an unsupported carrier, but as some extra DPS to turn the tide of battle.

Now in that situation the other fleet would likely just tear up your fighters and/or ignore you till they've killed the logi and/or drop dreads and/or run away. But still, there are uses for a buffer-tanked carrier outside of a fight between capital fleets.
Gaius Clabbacus
Control Alt Delve
Goonswarm Federation
#360 - 2016-04-12 11:43:19 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:

Most of the solo carrier hotdrops I have seen are Thannies fitted with Damage Control & Bulkheads. It really takes a lot of cycles of the armor rep to match the EHP provided by a buffer tank. Not expecting that to change in the new system.