These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wine support for Mac

First post First post
Author
Black Pedro
Mine.
#241 - 2016-06-08 06:18:21 UTC
In general, I agree that WINE support has made for a much smoother experience. But there is still one strange behaviour I consistently get with opening a new contract. It takes a long time. Like a minute or two long to create a contract when I select some items and choose 'Create Contract' from the right-click menu. But this delay only seems to happen for the first one. If I create a second contract it works near instant as usual.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?
Neve Talie-Ko
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#242 - 2016-06-08 16:18:00 UTC
Thanks for the Wine support.

I got the in game browser back!

Tass Caffington
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#243 - 2016-06-08 20:04:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Tass Caffington
I switched to Wine yesterday.
However, the settings were not copied although I clicked the copy-button.
How can I fix this?

regards,
Tass

EDIT 1:
switched back to Cider and settings are back.
now, how do I copy them over to Wine?

EDIT 2:
I retried to use Wine and now it runs
even with all settings back on.

very nice

Tass.

WiNGSPAN Delivery Services

"We're not happy until you're content!"

Grella Khurelem
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#244 - 2016-06-08 22:55:37 UTC
Wine looks fine, but there are problems in a windowed environment that forced me to switch back so I can use multiple clients.

The problems are with every button on the screen. The location of where they are activated seem to be off by a half-inch or so on the screen. I'm assuming that this is related to the window bar, but I'm not exactly sure.

I've also not been able to get multiple clients to run at the same time either, but I'll need to try that again another day.
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#245 - 2016-06-08 23:02:02 UTC
Grella Khurelem wrote:
Wine looks fine, but there are problems in a windowed environment that forced me to switch back so I can use multiple clients.

The problems are with every button on the screen. The location of where they are activated seem to be off by a half-inch or so on the screen. I'm assuming that this is related to the window bar, but I'm not exactly sure.

I've also not been able to get multiple clients to run at the same time either, but I'll need to try that again another day.

I've noticed this intermittently when running on my laptop, but haven't yet seen a reliable repro, making it hard to track down. When this has happened, resizing the window has resolved the issue. I know this isn't ideal, but it's a workaround at least.

I will keep an eye on this issue and see if I can fix it. If anyone runs into this and finds a reliable repro case I'd be very interested to hear about it.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#246 - 2016-06-08 23:32:17 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Grella Khurelem wrote:

I've noticed this intermittently when running on my laptop, but haven't yet seen a reliable repro, making it hard to track down. When this has happened, resizing the window has resolved the issue. I know this isn't ideal, but it's a workaround at least.

I will keep an eye on this issue and see if I can fix it. If anyone runs into this and finds a reliable repro case I'd be very interested to hear about it.

I have been using WINE since i first learned about it. I only run windowed mode, lowest graphic settings.
The only thing i have issues with is every once in awhile you go to click and the mouse drags, the camera pans slowly. it seems this has something with the control/option/alt/command key seeming to become sticky. focusing on a different client/application seems to fix it most times, or changing the camera.

If there was only a way to log everything and have it send the logs at the push of a button, vs trying to file bug reports overtime.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Ian Tucenghi
Tucenghi and Company
#247 - 2016-06-09 02:34:55 UTC
Hi All,

Does switching to wine helps in lowering the heat that is generated by Mac while playing EVE? Further, it is now worth the switch? I would love to hear your guidance and advise on this matter.

Thank you, and Fly safe o7
Trisk Hurenlor
Ascendance
Goonswarm Federation
#248 - 2016-06-09 03:27:00 UTC
Spent 20 minutes typing up my experience. Pressed "Post", nothing got posted, back button didn't show all I wrote. So here's the super short version:

I too had v.2.2.999545 launcher.
- had to read 12 pages to see the solution (yes i googled, but didn't want to invest huge amounts of time until i had confirmation - Thanks Bro!!)
- ran old launcher once to get latest updates. installed new launcher, which loaded 82 MB more data then automatically installed yet a newer launcher which loaded another 50 MB of data
- ran Eve (left launcher on Cider for first run)
- lost all settings, bookmarks, overview and chat channels
- switched to Wine, restarted launcher, ran Eve - seems a little better, more Mac compliant (app switcher shows other apps when in Eve).

Op: Can you edit your 1st post and add the solution for those with launcher v.2.2.999545. Include a warning about losing settings, bookmarks, overview and chat channels. Thanks.

Regards,
Trisk

P.S. Now I know to copy my reply to clipboard before pressing "POST". Here's hoping it works this time.
Ian Tucenghi
Tucenghi and Company
#249 - 2016-06-09 13:17:59 UTC
Ian Tucenghi wrote:
Hi All,

Does switching to wine helps in lowering the heat that is generated by Mac while playing EVE? Further, it is now worth the switch? I would love to hear your guidance and advise on this matter.

Thank you, and Fly safe o7

In addition to the above, I took the plunge and tried wine. At the initial stage, it was all good and I can feel that it was light to the resources and the heat was down. It was pretty nice. However, it broke down specifically my mouse did not work and can't correctly press the UI in the game. Hence, I had to go back to Cider.

But I like wine. I hope it gets fixed soon.

I am running a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) with the following specs:

2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
intel Iris 1536 MB

Thank you, and looking forward to a more stable wine.

Fly Safe o7
zuranus
Gamma Rising Sun
#250 - 2016-06-09 14:18:25 UTC
Linux user here ,just installed the new launcher (1045952.1.948) with wine and was successfull launching the game but

no luck with saving/copying my settings.

Hope to see wine option in the launcher for my Linux machine

Good work CCP!
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#251 - 2016-06-09 14:24:49 UTC
zuranus wrote:
Linux user here ,just installed the new launcher (1045952.1.948) with wine and was successfull launching the game but

Good work CCP!

You mean like this: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6503381#post6503381 ?

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

zuranus
Gamma Rising Sun
#252 - 2016-06-09 21:45:10 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
zuranus wrote:

Good work CCP!

You mean like this: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6503381#post6503381 ?

Arg.. somehow I thought mac clients had a different directx version since directx9 is phasing out ,hmm well

fingers crossed that wine comes up with directx11 soon.

I'm able to play for now with the new launcher .
Coyote DelSur
Elysian Technologies Enclave
Fraternity.
#253 - 2016-06-10 00:31:20 UTC
Last night I switched to the new Wine and lost the Command Click. The game is all but unplayable now.

A support ticket has produced no response in close to a full day.

Any ideas?
Johny Rambo
Eastern Windmill
#254 - 2016-06-10 04:50:56 UTC
Use control?
Runsha
Pearlgate Associates
#255 - 2016-06-10 06:15:37 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
In general, I agree that WINE support has made for a much smoother experience. But there is still one strange behaviour I consistently get with opening a new contract. It takes a long time. Like a minute or two long to create a contract when I select some items and choose 'Create Contract' from the right-click menu. But this delay only seems to happen for the first one. If I create a second contract it works near instant as usual.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

Have had that issue for quite some time. Like you said its only first contract I create each session and its not that long so figured was just a matter of loading assets not used except for contracts.
Runsha
Pearlgate Associates
#256 - 2016-06-10 06:40:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Runsha
I seem to be the odd one out here even as far as Mac users goes. At least not seen anyone else comment that is using a Mini. So figure I should toss out my two bits on what I'm seeing with Wine. (and I mean other than the faint vapor trails from drinking it) Smile

MAC Mini (Mid 2011)
2.5Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Had to swear at it a few times and kill the new launcher before it finally took over from the old one and stopped hanging up. Had to play with it a bit before figured out how to get it to transfer settings then wanted to facepalm as its kinda obvious when you do figure it out. (delete the "default" settings when you do transfer so that it now defaults to what you transferred).

First run I had a couple instances where things paused while Wine data was loaded but was not long and has not occurred since. (I did not have any form of Wine loaded previous). Run in Windowed mode normally and tho I did notice my "notifications" button has drifted a bit and seems a few previously unpinned windows somehow became pinned, I have not noticed the window size to alter between sessions. Tho I honestly did not look to verify the resolution numbers so it might have grown slightly.

Only real item of notice came after about 90 minutes online with lots of jumps and docking transitions. And that that there started to be a screen shear during transition. By this I mean I started getting what appears to be a brief (half a second to 2 seconds) period during transition where screen used to go black and now is a fairly colorful burst of cubic noise. Tried to grab a screenshot but so far not caught it. Will keep trying tho. [It is possible my graphic issue is due to running on 32" HDMI display, really don't know if or how that might effect things]

Definitely seem to be able to run higher better graphics levels without the lag it used to cause so overall I'm a much happier MAC than I was just a week ago.
Coyote DelSur
Fraternity.
#257 - 2016-06-10 13:07:08 UTC
Johny Rambo wrote:
Use control?

I tried that, but it didn't work either.
Kai Lyn Katano
Deadspace Knights
#258 - 2016-06-10 17:55:16 UTC
How does one capture screenshots under Wine? With Cider I used the extended-keyboard key, "Print Screen" (located above the Insert, Delete, Home, End, Page Up, Page Down sextet). Since upgrading to Wine, no new png files show up on my disk searches which tells me that my screenshots are no longer getting captured.
Coyote DelSur
Fraternity.
#259 - 2016-06-10 22:22:47 UTC
Coyote DelSur wrote:
Last night I switched to the new Wine and lost the Command Click. The game is all but unplayable now.

Any ideas?

Over two days now and no response to the support ticket, no usable response here, and no usable response in Help Chat or OS X Chat.

I can't undock until this gets fixed.

Do I have to go back to Cider? If so, for how long will that be supported. Is that going to be discontinued on June 30?

Coyote DelSur
Fraternity.
#260 - 2016-06-11 02:35:04 UTC
Coyote DelSur wrote:
Coyote DelSur wrote:

Any ideas?

Over two days now and no response to the support ticket, no usable response here, and no usable response in Help Chat or OS X Chat.

I can't undock until this gets fixed.

Do I have to go back to Cider? If so, for how long will that be supported. Is that going to be discontinued on June 30?

Screwit. I went back to Cider--and lost all my settings again.

If Cider disappears on June 30, so do I.