These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wine support for Mac

First post First post
Author
Slickrock Wildlight
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#181 - 2016-04-21 06:30:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Slickrock Wildlight
EVE unplayable right now.

Updated my system (MacPro2013) to 10.11.4, and it started wigging out. (Prior to the update, I was getting the frequent crashes others have reported).

Under Cider, which had been the default setup, no graphics would load, I'd only get overlay screens. So I found this thread, told the launcher to download all files to improve performance, and switch to Wine.

Wine looks, nicer, but one fatal flaw. No overlays will work. Hit the button for them, and you see them appear to zoom to minimize. I've tried with and without DX9, and multiple Wine versions. Same problem.

Also, when it was in fullscreen on my two-monitor system, the billboard that you see when you are docked would take up the whole screen. Windowed mode got rid of that.

Help!!!
Niobe Maken
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#182 - 2016-04-21 09:46:52 UTC
Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to play EVE Online with WINE, because although I come into play in but everything is just black. It is also not possible a ticket to create or change settings.

IMac late 2013
3,4 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
Wine : Released
Launcher: 1024032
GUI: 1.907

Help needed^^
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#183 - 2016-04-21 10:00:21 UTC
Niobe Maken wrote:
Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to play EVE Online with WINE, because although I come into play in but everything is just black. It is also not possible a ticket to create or change settings.

IMac late 2013
3,4 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
Wine : Released
Launcher: 1024032
GUI: 1.907

Help needed^^

Please file a bug report with logs:

Go to settings in the launcher, enable 'Run clients with logging'. This will then start up LogLite when you press Play. Once the game has started, let it sit for a minute or so on the black screen, then go to LogLite and save the log.

Then go here: https://community.eveonline.com/support/bug-reports/ and fill in the report (mention my name in the title so I can find it quickly), with as much detail as you can and attach the log file you just saved.

I'll take a look as soon as I can and see if the logs give me a clue as to what is going wrong.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#184 - 2016-04-21 10:17:36 UTC
Slickrock Wildlight wrote:
EVE unplayable right now.

Updated my system (MacPro2013) to 10.11.4, and it started wigging out. (Prior to the update, I was getting the frequent crashes others have reported).

Under Cider, which had been the default setup, no graphics would load, I'd only get overlay screens. So I found this thread, told the launcher to download all files to improve performance, and switch to Wine.

Wine looks, nicer, but one fatal flaw. No overlays will work. Hit the button for them, and you see them appear to zoom to minimize. I've tried with and without DX9, and multiple Wine versions. Same problem.

Also, when it was in fullscreen on my two-monitor system, the billboard that you see when you are docked would take up the whole screen. Windowed mode got rid of that.

Help!!!

I need to see logs - see post above for details on how to file a bug report with logs.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Niobe Maken
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#185 - 2016-04-21 11:32:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Niobe Maken
Everytime I try to upload a file (5.3MB) your system told me after 100% "Upload failed"

external file link added
Report is up
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#186 - 2016-04-21 13:23:53 UTC
@ CCP Snorlax - it seems a recent patch changed the launch multi-client time back to 1 sec. When I go back to change the settings it is in the 60 sec spot but it shows 1 sec between start up. I have had to do this many time over the last week.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#187 - 2016-04-21 18:24:15 UTC
Niobe Maken wrote:
Everytime I try to upload a file (5.3MB) your system told me after 100% "Upload failed"

external file link added
Report is up

I think I know what´s going on - Wine is underestimating available video memory. For now, you could try disabling post-processing. It's a bit bit tricky when there's nothing visible on screen, though. If the client works under Cider you could try switching back, changing settings, then going to Wine again.

I should be able to address this in Wine sometime next week.

Niobe Maken
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#188 - 2016-04-21 21:16:17 UTC
Post-processing disabled in cider and then switch to WINE - still black screen.
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#189 - 2016-04-21 22:21:35 UTC
Niobe Maken wrote:
Post-processing disabled in cider and then switch to WINE - still black screen.

Right, settings are stored in a different place, forgot about that. After you've changed this in Cider you need to copy your settings again. In Preferences in the launcher is a big button labeled 'Copy client settings from Cider to Wine'. Press that after switching back to Wine.

Again, I'm hoping to sort this out next week - this convoluted process is just a temporary workaround.

Slickrock Wildlight
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#190 - 2016-04-22 03:11:36 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:

I think I know what´s going on - Wine is underestimating available video memory. For now, you could try disabling post-processing. It's a bit bit tricky when there's nothing visible on screen, though. If the client works under Cider you could try switching back, changing settings, then going to Wine again.

I should be able to address this in Wine sometime next week.

I've submitted a report.

The memory issue sounds like a probably cause, as what I'm seeing is graphics that fail to load when changing environments (either docking or undocking) or at highest settings overlays don't load.

thanks for looking into this CCP Snorlax!!!
Niobe Maken
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#191 - 2016-04-22 06:04:26 UTC
Switching post-processing off has no effect.
So I try a little bit and disable antialiasing. *boing*
Everything fine until now with post -processing active.
Slickrock Wildlight
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#192 - 2016-04-23 00:35:24 UTC
Niobe Maken wrote:
Switching post-processing off has no effect.
So I try a little bit and disable antialiasing. *boing*
Everything fine until now with post -processing active.

That helped with me as well, but I'm still seeing sporadic instances of the captain's quarters being completely black, or only partially loading, and instances where some popup overlays won't load.
Slickrock Wildlight
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#193 - 2016-04-23 03:20:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Slickrock Wildlight
I discovered what might be part of the problem I'm seeing since my OS update and going to Wine...

Some overlay windows automatically minimize, and I can't get them back open without either docking/undocking or restarting.

Testing this some more, and it seems like some sort of memory issue.. after a certain point new windows won't open.
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#194 - 2016-04-23 13:18:13 UTC
http://prntscr.com/avtmiz

thats a picture of my settings and i've never had issues with post-processing. and i never have anti-aliasing turned on.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

Bodaaa
Bokkenrijders
#195 - 2016-04-23 13:59:59 UTC
Retina Windowed mode resolutions issue:

Wine works fantastic in fullscreen in 2880x1800, but unfortunately I am used to play in windowed mode. On Cider this is set at 2560x1600 which nicely takes up the middle of the screen.

Getting this setup is not possible under Wine. If you try windowed mode it reverts to a very low resolution of 1280x800 or even lower if resized. Setting anything higher, the screen is off screen. I am fairly certain the way the retina display works under OS X is the culprit.

Best regards,

PS: does Mumble overlay work with Wine?
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#196 - 2016-04-23 19:57:53 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Known issues

• Settings profiles don't migrate automatically As of version 1024032 settings profile are copied automatically
  • Launcher needs to be restarted after changing wrapper type
  • Launcher needs to be restarted after changing Wine version
  • When starting in windowed mode, window grows slightly each time

I believe the last one has been fixed - don't know if I could consider restarting the launcher after changing to wine or changing version of wine would be considered a issue.
Guess it depends on the player.

Slickrock Wildlight
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#197 - 2016-04-24 04:39:55 UTC
One thing's for certain.. with the persistent graphical problems, there's no way I could do anything more that be a mining carebear until these issues are resolved. I almost lost my venture tonight because I couldn't get drones launched, because I couldn't get the drone window to appear.
Cesar Sunn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#198 - 2016-04-25 13:02:34 UTC
Finally got round to trying this and I'm so chuffed that I can finally spread Eve across two monitors! Woo! Space looks huge now!

One issue I've found is that on undock the camera isn't locked to your ship and I have to select "look at" to lock it. Not a big issue but could be annoying.

Macbook Pro 13 inch 2013
El Capitan 10.11
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#199 - 2016-04-25 20:26:47 UTC
CCP Snorlax, been having issues that last few days where jumping gates once again is locking up the screen so I can rotate my view tell I change camera type.

Started up after I logged into my alt to do some MCT, had issues on her and now on the main again. This might now be your department but thought you should know.

Happens in Orbit camera mode - have to switch to tactical (might take two to three changes)

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#200 - 2016-04-25 22:25:06 UTC
Amarisen Gream wrote:
CCP Snorlax, been having issues that last few days where jumping gates once again is locking up the screen so I can rotate my view tell I change camera type.

Started up after I logged into my alt to do some MCT, had issues on her and now on the main again. This might now be your department but thought you should know.

Happens in Orbit camera mode - have to switch to tactical (might take two to three changes)

Please file a bug report with logs:

Go to settings in the launcher, enable 'Run clients with logging'. This will then start up LogLite when you press Play. Once you experience the camera issue, then go to LogLite and save the log.

Then go here: https://community.eveonline.com/support/bug-reports/ and fill in the report (mention my name in the title so I can find it quickly), with as much detail as you can and attach the log file you just saved.

I'll take a look as soon as I can and see if the logs give me a clue as to what is going wrong, and get the dev who worked on the camera to help if needed.