These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Open petition against EVElopedia closure

Author
Arkoth 24
Doomheim
#21 - 2016-03-01 13:06:35 UTC
Tisiphone Dira wrote:
Why stop there?! Long as we've got devs working on useless and redundant content, lets get them working on walking in stations as well!

You're blind. Totally.

"Lore is useless, WiS is useless, gimme more crap to grind!!" - i heard dat bullshit thousand times. Lore makes world of EVE interesting for newcommers and RP-freaks. WiS is a new base for interaction among capsuleers, which also makes New Eden to be not only raw mechanics and mindless "search-and-destroy" thing.

New Eden needs to be a world out of pod, not some sort of cooperative butt-kickin'. At least for those, who's not rеtаrdеd.

Aviola von Yodalgut wrote:
From what the guy says in this thread

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=471658&find=unread post #13

It sounds like the lore will still be accessible.

And as i answered there - i doubt it will be so easily accessible as on wiki engine. It would probably be one more "lore-which-no-one-read" site, not some short and easily gained right from NeoCom information.
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#22 - 2016-03-01 13:13:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Lulu Lunette
Signed

The other day, I was running some COSMOS mission and there was some interesting dialogue and items from a previous and ancient civilization called the Yan Jung. I read about them in Evelopedia, there wasn't much but it was something and just enough for that 'empty canvas and paint' so I could go and make a blog post or whatever. (Since we are the lore, right)

A quick Google and there is no where that has general information on the Yan Jung civilization. I could create the page on Uniwiki sure; after I trust them with my in game browser. Not that I don't trust Eve University to my information, but Evelopedia was a truly neutral place.

Lore was hard enough to find out about before. Ugh

@lunettelulu7

Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#23 - 2016-03-01 15:08:20 UTC
It makes me wonder why players prefer to update player-run wikis rather than the official one. Is there something specific about CCP that deterred players from updating the official wiki?

Anyway, an official wiki would be nice. Simply because it's a sign of professionalism.
Molpadia Devaux
Kamikaze Lemmings
#24 - 2016-03-01 15:26:51 UTC
With no game manuals, it is incumbent upon CCP to have an in game link to the RULES that govern the Eve universe. Lore, fittings guides etc. might be handled well by 3rd party sites. But CCP is obliged to provide players with the official rules. Imagine a pirate or goon site giving you the "official" rules of engagement.
Tisiphone Dira
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2016-03-01 15:35:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Tisiphone Dira
Arkoth 24 wrote:

WiS is a new base for interaction among capsuleers,

Citation needed.

@ above poster the rules are here
http://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/eve-eula-en/
http://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/terms-of-service-en/

Not evelopedia, it's not needed (notice my disrespectful intentional lack of capital letters)

My character may be blind, but even I can see that this is a good decision, e-uni wiki is betters anyway.

There once was a ganker named tisi

A stunningly beautiful missy

To gank a gross miner

There is nothing finer, cept when they get all pissy

Lykouleon
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#26 - 2016-03-01 15:55:43 UTC
All of the current information on the Eve wiki was dumped and can be downloaded from the news article. Community sites are already up which host the data contained in the dump:

https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/evelopedia/index.php/Main_Page

Lykouleon > CYNO ME CLOSER so I can hit them with my sword

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#27 - 2016-03-01 16:58:43 UTC
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#28 - 2016-03-01 17:00:21 UTC
I can't sign on against the closure of something that I felt had limited use in its current form. I might sign on against the timing of it, I think it still has use and its replacement(s) aren't fully functional yet. Closing something before it's truly redundant isn't the smartest thing to do unless there is another serious set of pressures driving it.

Newbie help, in so far as getting to know the basic concepts and working the game properly, should be IN-GAME as far as I'm concerned. I haven't seen this in-game help enough other than to start up a new toon and at that point it's really not done well.

What the game needs for help is actual video, either animated or live action (which would be fun to get some fans together and shoot with some props and such), that goes over the various concepts and forces you into simulations that show how things work. The game is super complex and the videos only need to cover the basics, but that's what it should have. I've seen some of the stuff they are doing now and it's not as far along as I'd have hoped.

The videos can be supplemented by an official library reference that details exactly how to do all the functions of the game but leaves the theory-crafting out of it (which can be confusing to a beginner as they don't understand the ramifications of it) which most 3rd party libraries include. Cross linking stable 3rd party resources is also a good idea for those that are ready to dive into theory-crafting.

So, I can see why CCP is dropping the resource, just not happy with the timing. The replacement needs to be fully operational first.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#29 - 2016-03-01 17:05:28 UTC
tiberiusric
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#30 - 2016-03-01 17:27:25 UTC
i was thinking about hosting it so ill try do it i have a eve site im working on so it should fit in. ive downloaded the database so watch this space.

All my views are my own - never be afraid to post with your main, unless you're going to post some dumb shit

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#31 - 2016-03-01 17:30:55 UTC
More toilet paper, please

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#32 - 2016-03-01 17:36:02 UTC
Molpadia Devaux wrote:
With no game manuals, it is incumbent upon CCP to have an in game link to the RULES that govern the Eve universe. Lore, fittings guides etc. might be handled well by 3rd party sites. But CCP is obliged to provide players with the official rules. Imagine a pirate or goon site giving you the "official" rules of engagement.

When you say 'obliged' do you actually mean "I want them too"?

Because I'm not aware of any such obligation, and CCP have never done so in the past.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Arkoth 24
Doomheim
#33 - 2016-03-01 17:46:07 UTC
tiberiusric wrote:
i was thinking about hosting it so ill try do it i have a eve site im working on so it should fit in. ive downloaded the database so watch this space.

Sounds nice. Take a try and tell us how we can support it.

The 102 Mb download linked in news post is just a dump for "player content" only, i guess. And i don't think there was a lot.

Bumblefck wrote:
More toilet paper, please

Sure thing, i'll send you some to fight your diarea.
Aquiileia
Mors et Vectigalia
#34 - 2016-03-01 18:25:37 UTC
Signed.

I can't fathom why such a resource would be shut down to begin with...

Samantha Calderon
Heavenly Forge
#35 - 2016-03-01 18:37:01 UTC
Signed.

Wherever I May Roam: Blog sobre EVE Online en castellano!

Dominique Saint-Clair
Les Gardiens
#36 - 2016-03-01 18:44:26 UTC
Just can't believe it. It's a base of New Eden. Are you joking? To say that it's biggest step down it's to say nothing. This is the final destruction of the universe we knew.
tiberiusric
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#37 - 2016-03-01 19:05:28 UTC
i think the initial post says alot really it was never up to date. players never really took to it and updated it and they are right wikis like eve university is far far more detailed and thats ccp problem always has been. dont worry someone else will do it attitude. killboards, wikis, help sites and eft for example and all the sites chribba does are to name but a few.

but why waste resource and money if someone else builds it, right?

we need everyone contributing to it to make it work just like wikipedia. im not sure how passionate people are to do that? its been up for a few years and im thinking if it aint been working then its probably not going to change
. would need some serious show of hands to bring it back.

All my views are my own - never be afraid to post with your main, unless you're going to post some dumb shit

Ibutho Inkosi
Doomheim
#38 - 2016-03-01 19:43:23 UTC
Oh joy! Another internet petition! I so love these! They're testimonies to how delusional people can actually be!!

PS This isn't a signature!

As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

Sim Cognito
Obani Gemini Corporation
#39 - 2016-03-01 19:53:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Sim Cognito
Signed.
Nick Bete
Highsec Haulers Inc.
#40 - 2016-03-01 22:06:59 UTC
Signed.

In such a complex game it's really CCP's responsibility to provide documentation and not an unpaid third party's.