These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Always able to run? And no Concord? Unknowable missions?

First post
Author
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2016-02-15 19:55:07 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
That gun is the epitome of useless (And, really, a faction blaster?).

Meh. Junk you have laying around the hangar.

Quote:
Problem #1: You warped directly to the gate.

Nope. I jumped. They weren't on the side you warp to. They were on the blind side.

Quote:
A scout is obviously better.

Its easy to solve every problem by adding more people.

Quote:
I'm betting you jumped through as soon as you landed.

Nope. Told you I waited.

Quote:
There's a VERY good chance you could have escaped if you had fit a cloak and MWD.

I could have gone cov ops. I could have gone through wh space.

All this is academic and not the point.
Annemariela Antonela
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2016-02-15 19:58:27 UTC
Bro you just got some of the most rock-solid advice you are ever gonna get. Maybe you should heed it, instead of wishing the game was changed for your sake.

“Culture is like a smog. To live within it, you must breathe some of it in and, inevitably, be contaminated.”

― Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#63 - 2016-02-15 19:58:53 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Fa Xian wrote:

I could have gone cov ops. I could have gone through wh space.

All this is academic and not the point.

Well, no, a cov-ops isn't really a replacement good for a Nereus. Additionally, my solution gives you a means to escape - not avoid, but actually escape - the bad situation you landed in.

You just claimed your fit was fine. Your fit was not fine, because it left you with no tactical options once you blundered into a bad situation.

You can't completely fail to employ any degree of strategic or tactical thinking and then complain that there aren't any tactical options. There are. You're not good at taking advantage of them.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#64 - 2016-02-15 20:04:24 UTC
Annemariela Antonela wrote:
Bro you just got some of the most rock-solid advice you are ever gonna get. Maybe you should heed it, instead of wishing the game was changed for your sake.

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea.
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2016-02-15 20:11:07 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Well, no, a cov-ops isn't really a replacement good for a Nereus.

Different ship of course.

Quote:
You can't completely fail to employ any degree of strategic or tactical thinking and then complain that there aren't any tactical options. There are. You're not good at taking advantage of them.

I give up. I'm not getting my message across and this is turning into a silly thread about telling me things I already knew. I don't need fitting advice; I have MWD cloak ships in hangars now. I was set up for a different kind of engagement. I'm not complaining about my loss... I'm not interested in even preventing it. Wasn't then. Still don't care now.

If you think this is about one encounter, you're sadly mistaken and I've failed to be clear.

Enjoy the game.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#66 - 2016-02-15 20:18:25 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Fa Xian wrote:

If you think this is about one encounter, you're sadly mistaken and I've failed to be clear.

Enjoy the game.

The one encounter is merely an example being used to illustrate the fact that your statement about the lack of tactical options was demonstrably false.

As we've established, now, that there are numerous tactical options, the rest of your thoughts seem to be proceeding from false assumptions.

Quote:
I was set up for a different kind of engagement.

What possible engagement could have warranted that fit?

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#67 - 2016-02-15 20:43:25 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
[You will be told you are useless, I see they did that above. You will be ridiculed, you be told that you are on meds or something else like that, then some lame twit will come along and war dec you to be cheered on by other ladies, its how Eve is.

...also, welcome to the forums, where a small subset of the player-base are tiny-brained misogynists like Dracvlad.

What a barleyjack.

I presume you reported my post hence the highlight., one can use turns of phrase without people getting all offended, its what adults do, when I was working in Lloyds of London I used to get a broker come up and say hello ladies, it was affectionate you know, he was a real sweetie too, used to have two pairs of glasses hanging on a chain.

What pray tell is a barleyjack?

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Poddington Bare
Infinite Destruction.
Unspoken Alliance.
#68 - 2016-02-15 21:13:02 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
when I was working in Lloyds of London

Dracvlad wrote:

When I was...

...CEO of a Fortune 500 company*...
...secretly cured cancer and witheld it so big Pharma could cash in*...
...negotiated an interstellar peace treaty with secret Chinese colony on Mars*...
...invented the United Nations*...

*delete as applicable

...I learned to use the internet.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=barleyjack
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#69 - 2016-02-15 21:21:59 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:

I presume you reported my post hence the highlight., one can use turns of phrase without people getting all offended, its what adults do, when I was working in Lloyds of London I used to get a broker come up and say hello ladies, it was affectionate you know, he was a real sweetie too, used to have two pairs of glasses hanging on a chain.

Sorry, you presume wrong

Quote:
one can use turns of phrase without people getting all offended

Really? So language is a completely objective artefact, that has one meaning (in this case, the situation you outlined), and no other? You do realise that the context in which you used it originally was completely different to that which you just outlined now - basically, that of ladies somehow being twittering idiots running around mindlessly. Shall I refresh your memory?

[quote]then some lame twit will come along and war dec you to be cheered on by other ladies

It's really obvious what you're insinuating with this phrase.

By the way, you've proven my initial point about language being completely subjective and meaning different things to different people.

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#70 - 2016-02-15 21:48:21 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Also, upon further reflection, you're already "always able to run".

If you're scrammed and burning away from the other guy, you're running. If you can't outrun him, you're still running... you're just being outrun.

Entering warp isn't just running - you are nigh invincible in a warp tunnel.

So, your suggestion is more accurately read as either..."Always able to run faster than the other guy," or, alternatively, "Always able to achieve temporary invulnerability."

The former is clearly nonsensical. We clearly can't have a situation where two people are always capable of outrunning each other.

The latter is even worse, from a gameplay perspective.

Annemariela Antonela
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2016-02-15 22:05:14 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Also, upon further reflection, you're already "always able to run".

If you're scrammed and burning away from the other guy, you're running. If you can't outrun him, you're still running... you're just being outrun.

Entering warp isn't just running - you are nigh invincible in a warp tunnel.

So, your suggestion is more accurately read as either..."Always able to run faster than the other guym" or, alternatively, "Always able to achieve temporary invulnerability."

The former is clearly nonsensical. We clearly can't have a situation where two people are always capable of outrunning each other.

The latter is even worse, from a gameplay perspective.

How about a big blue button that instantly heals your ship and breaks lock, linked to your credit card. Say two bucks a pop.

“Culture is like a smog. To live within it, you must breathe some of it in and, inevitably, be contaminated.”

Poddington Bare
Infinite Destruction.
Unspoken Alliance.
#72 - 2016-02-15 22:17:30 UTC
Annemariela Antonela wrote:
How about a big blue button that instantly heals your ship and breaks lock, linked to your credit card. Say two bucks a pop.

May as well.

We are >< this close to buying magic ammo directly anyway.

Does anyone else view the CCP quote along the lines of "you guys are so happy with SP injectors we're going to change even more stuff" with anything other than total dread?
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#73 - 2016-02-15 22:23:41 UTC
Go for it

Can we have also just have a 'doomsday' button that pops your targeted opponent and invents some flimsy lore as to why you suddenly and mysteriously get a billion ISK every time you do that? Might as well, just cut the PLEX out and go straight to the source

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Memphis Baas
#74 - 2016-02-15 22:24:15 UTC
A few opinions:

1. You want to change a chess / strategy game into a DnD session. EVE is ultimately a strategy game; large alliances conquer the map with their "units" much like a strategy game. Units are rock/paper/scissors in chess and in strategy games; you don't see the queen suddenly developing magic attacks or the bishops starting to cast healing spells. The standard attacks that they have are it. The game of chess isn't about the valiant fight between the knight and the pawn when the knight takes the pawn; it's about winning the overall strategy / game. Basically, this is not the sci-fi dogfighting game you're looking for.

2. The way you fit your ship is important. People don't toss in "a few random items lying around", they min/max their ship fittings after long hours of reading, and careful consideration of each module. Those warp core stabs allow you to run away, but you can't target worth ****, which makes the guns redundant. You're playing the game wrong and then complaining that you lose.

3. Game is 13 years old... kinda late to be suggesting changes to the core gameplay, don't you think?
Memphis Baas
#75 - 2016-02-15 22:26:32 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Go for it

Can we have also just have a 'doomsday' button that pops your targeted opponent and invents some flimsy lore as to why you suddenly and mysteriously get a billion ISK every time you do that? Might as well, just cut the PLEX out and go straight to the source

Better idea (for CCP): you shoot the doomsday, and you and everyone in the area of effect gets to push X repeatedly as fast as possible in order to either push the damage through or block the damage. Like in a console game. Only instead of X it's the "pay" button.
Poddington Bare
Infinite Destruction.
Unspoken Alliance.
#76 - 2016-02-15 22:31:08 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Better idea (for CCP): you shoot the doomsday, and you and everyone in the area of effect gets to push X repeatedly as fast as possible in order to either push the damage through or block the damage. Like in a console game. Only instead of X it's the "pay" button.

No no, how about this?

Before you undock, you input your credit card details and an amount you are willing to put on deposit...say $100.

Then, when you get in a fight your amount is compared against your opponent
- if yours is higher, you either win or get away and the amount is paid
- if yours is lower, you get a limited timer to raise the amount to a level that would let you win or get away
- if you are higher but are then outbid by your opponent, it goes to a full auction and everyone in local can bid amounts to add to one pool or the other until a winner is declared
Annemariela Antonela
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2016-02-15 22:33:18 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:
Go for it

We are finally getting somewhere. Financial transaction network latency worz will be the next meta. "Heh, what are u using noob, paypal?"

I feel I should also be treated to a motion-picture quality CGI cutscene any time I get a killmail. You know, for cinematics.

Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#78 - 2016-02-15 22:42:56 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
3. Game is 13 years old... kinda late to be suggesting changes to the core gameplay, don't you think?

Read the last section, first post.
Darth Terona
Fancypants Inc
Pandemic Horde
#79 - 2016-02-15 23:42:09 UTC
Op has no pvp experience.

Come back and lecture us after you have at least tried to pvp
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#80 - 2016-02-15 23:51:49 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
When I started playing Eve I thought the same as the OP, still have a feeling that these modules are just too final, which is what I like about Elite Dangerous and the system suggested for Star Citizen, you can flee. Eve nope you are locked in unless you clear the attacker with the point.

I would like points to have the same chance percentage as ECM, would make the game more interesting for the prey, but of course most people who play this game don't care about their challenge they just want sure and easy kills so they would go up the wall at this suggestion.

Where it up to me, I would have copied the real world effect of too many targeting systems lighting up one target would cause disruption in tracking. Having once maintained and repaired such systems on fighter jets, I've seen many cases of this along with other "jam" situations real and imagined (by the flight suit insert , also known as the pilot).

A frigate could be locked by several frigates, but degradation occurs beyond that. A plurality of larger ships attempting to lock up a smaller one would even have less positive results, maybe even none of them being able to or suffering enough signal corruption to be worthless.

On the opposite end, smaller ship lighting up larger ones would be better. You can get a half dozen frigates on a cruiser for example.

But I'm thinking of fleets actually. No more F1 monkeys. Imagine these fleet battles if the fighting had to be squad versus squad, wing versus wing... instead of "Primary.... *SPLAT*... Primary.... *SPLAT*"

But those jams... since we can steer ships with controls and get a first person view, it would be a real boon to the game if, once jammed up to all hell, you could still fire your turrets and missiles in a "dummy mode" - like the bomb launcher: Straight ahead where you are pointing". This would make strafing runs possible. Not a sure bet for anybody but it's better than sitting there waiting to get killed because you can't do a thing.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!