These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

First Maxed Eve account.

First post
Author
Avvy
Doomheim
#481 - 2016-02-16 18:38:04 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Big Lynx wrote:

Tell that the new instant gratification generation. Its like describing a rainbow to a blind man

They'll learn eventually (in game and out). They won't like it, but they'll learn.

That sounds more like a threat.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#482 - 2016-02-16 18:41:26 UTC
Avvy wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Big Lynx wrote:

Tell that the new instant gratification generation. Its like describing a rainbow to a blind man

They'll learn eventually (in game and out). They won't like it, but they'll learn.

It's a prediction that all of these people that don't understand why patience is a virtue (and seeking instant gratification leads to bad outcomes) will understand when they are older, because life (not me) will teach them. That's real life, and that's what I taught my children.

EVE is a lot like that too.
Avvy
Doomheim
#483 - 2016-02-16 18:47:43 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Avvy wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Big Lynx wrote:

It's a prediction that all of these people that don't understand why patience is a virtue (and seeking instant gratification leads to bad outcomes) will understand when they are older, because life (not me) will teach them. That's real life, and that's what I taught my children.

EVE is a lot like that too.

I doubt life will teach me anything new.

But at the end of the day it's CCP that makes the decisions.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#484 - 2016-02-16 18:48:54 UTC
Scott Dracov wrote:
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

So that means that a typical blob vs blob scenario goes something like this then: "Target that hurricane...no wait, he has maxed out all BC skills and medium projectiles and whatnot else, go for that other hurricane...he is a newbie scrub!"....

On a personal level after spending a long time maxing out armor comps to 5 and waiting that time then being in a trial by fire and watching your ship take the full brunt of the enemies fleet being within a hair of exploding into hull... and then being saved at the last second by guardian reps and saying to yourself thank god I spent that time on those skills or I would be in a pod and then in a new pod...

and now realizing that no one else has to wait like you did its all available right now if you pay for it.

and the price you paid in time investment. the choices you made with your meager skill points for what you wanted to do...

does not matter now as its all available... right now.

that cheapens the whole experience in ways beyond description to the point of futility.

Are you implying people could not buy a character with maxed out armor skill to get around the time investment needed?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#485 - 2016-02-16 18:52:25 UTC
Avvy wrote:

I doubt life will teach me anything new.

This is the least surprising statement I've ever read on this forum.
Josef Djugashvilis
#486 - 2016-02-16 18:58:21 UTC
Avvy wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Big Lynx wrote:

If it sounds like a threat to you, then the simple solution is for you to drink less Guinness - or whatever it is. What?

This is not a signature.

Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#487 - 2016-02-16 19:02:47 UTC
Can I have your beer?

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#488 - 2016-02-16 19:11:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:
Can I have your beer?

--Gadget
Guinness is not beer. It's the breakfast of champions.

Mr Epeen Cool
Jenshae Chiroptera
#489 - 2016-02-16 19:14:27 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
What do you base that hypothetical on?
Young players are tantrum kiddies and ...
Lack of maturity, regardless of ages coupled with demands for immediate self gratification of the support of those designs.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#490 - 2016-02-16 19:15:42 UTC
I can hear some CCP accountant or marketer masturbating in the corner.

I'd love to give a congratulatory handshake to this guy, but I'm assuming he's already sold both arms, likely to previous mentioned dev.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#491 - 2016-02-16 19:29:07 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
...works fine, ...
I mean the display, I see only empty graphs, regardless of character.
As stated, that's likely because for some reason your API key provided to eveboard isn't working.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#492 - 2016-02-16 19:39:31 UTC
Demica Diaz wrote:
Even though I am quite neutral about skill injecting feature. This makes me just tiny bit sad. Feels like something from EVE has lost. Wierd feeling. Straight

On the same token, imagine what a big deal it used to be to cross an ocean by boat. Then think about how you can cross it in hours by aircraft.

If you had to get across an ocean, what would you prefer?

But imagine if you had a boat ready with the host of concerns about it for crossing an ocean, and somebody gives you a plant ticket.

Would that not take off the pressure and leave your faculties up for other matters, like what you are going to do when you get to the other side?

Now that somebody is maxed out, it does not matter when somebody is maxed out. It's irrelevant, and Eve Online didn't implode. (and the server didn't crash either)

Consider it a good thing.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#493 - 2016-02-16 20:19:02 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Of course, that one week old character with a shed load of bought skills is actually an experienced pvp pilot who bought and paid for his new character and skill set with cash just for the fun of it.

How does one tell?

You can't, but it doesn't matter. Anyone can get into a destroyer at one week, experienced PvP'er or not, and clobber me. They don't need to buy injectors to do it... which was my point.
stg slate
State War Academy
Caldari State
#494 - 2016-02-16 20:20:22 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Lack of maturity, regardless of ages coupled with demands for immediate self gratification of the support of those designs.

Damn kids, and their sagging pants and their hip-hop and grinding, get off my lawn!
*shakes walker*
Scott Dracov
Hard Knocks Inc.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#495 - 2016-02-16 20:59:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Scott Dracov
circumventing the skill barrier was done in the back room and was easily dismissed as sanctioned cheating much the way concord was bribed to wardec... ccp gets its bribes every time a character is transfered.

Now its in your face and its the new meta. skill goo everything relevant to 5 in your face right now because that is so much more epic then facing the immutable unwavering barrier that is time itself.

oh and bribe CCP with aurum now instead of plex to do it of course because blah blah blah, money, reasons, gameplay, noobs...for the children... BS.

oh wait...

totally not epic at all anymore on any level especially level 5
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#496 - 2016-02-16 20:59:54 UTC
stg slate wrote:
Crosi Wesdo wrote:

Damn kids, and their sagging pants and their hip-hop and grinding, get off my lawn!
*shakes walker*

Was going to say, when did Eve turn into Seizure World? You guys really are starting to sound like old farts.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#497 - 2016-02-16 21:01:38 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
On the same token, imagine what a big deal it used to be to cross an ocean by boat. Then think about how you can cross it in hours by aircraft.

I'd probably opt to not cross an ocean, but if I really had to and could afford it, I'd pick the boat. Well - a ship, just because a "boat" implies that it's not actually capable of crossing an ocean. Through being able to cross an ocean in just a couple of hours people have come to expect you to. Everything needs to be fast, everyone needs to be mobile and available anywhere anytime. It's rather stressful.

I'm not saying that jet planes and mobile phones don't have their merits, but with them comes a lot of bullshit I have to deal with now every day.

If it was still socially acceptable (and possible) to not have a phone, travel by carriage or ship and send letters via horseback courier, I'd certainly prefer that. I don't need everything right now.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#498 - 2016-02-16 21:04:36 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

I'd probably opt to not cross an ocean, but if I really had to and could afford it, I'd pick the boat. Well - a ship, just because a "boat" implies that it's not actually capable of crossing an ocean. Through being able to cross an ocean in just a couple of hours people have come to expect you to. Everything needs to be fast, everyone needs to be mobile and available anywhere anytime. It's rather stressful.

I'm not saying that jet planes and mobile phones don't have their merits, but with them comes a lot of bullshit I have to deal with now every day.

If it was still socially acceptable (and possible) to not have a phone, travel by carriage or ship and send letters via horseback courier, I'd certainly prefer that. I don't need everything right now.

Too bad you died of cholera. P

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#499 - 2016-02-16 21:09:52 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Demica Diaz wrote:
Even though I am quite neutral about skill injecting feature. This makes me just tiny bit sad. Feels like something from EVE has lost. Wierd feeling. Straight

But imagine if you had a boat ready with the host of concerns about it for crossing an ocean, and somebody gives you a plant ticket.

Would that not take off the pressure and leave your faculties up for other matters, like what you are going to do when you get to the other side?

Now that somebody is maxed out, it does not matter when somebody is maxed out. It's irrelevant, and Eve Online didn't implode. (and the server didn't crash either)

Carrying the analogy forward...

While you can choose to slowboat across an ocean, to be competitive, one must choose the quickest route. Your competition will be.

In the not so far future, SP-injected characters will be the expectation.

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#500 - 2016-02-16 21:12:35 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Demica Diaz wrote:

Carrying the analogy forward...

While you can choose to slowboat across an ocean, to be competitive, one must choose the quickest route. Your competition will be.

In the not so far future, SP-injected characters will be the expectation.

--Gadget

Right nobody uses giant slow moving container ships ever. Roll