These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

First Maxed Eve account.

First post
Author
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#461 - 2016-02-16 17:21:14 UTC
Samsara Toldya wrote:
When JonnyPew extracted 100m+ SP CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar tweeted, that his mind was blown by this action
Or in other words: "We didn't see that coming!"

Can't wait for his Tweet on what this thread is about. With his mind already blown away by JonnyPew I'm afraid IronBank might have blown Hilmars balls... in one way or the other.

Did you pay attention to what JonnyPew was saying? He did it for three main reasons:

1: To keep a record of him doing something so incredible that he could look back on it and recall it completely.

2: To show all of us how to work with the extractors/injectors

3: To move his active main from Sir Livingston to JonnyPew.

His 4th sub reason was 'to get rid of all the skills he had trained that he'd trained just to keep his character training'.

This is EXACTLY what the entire SP Trading was intended to be for, so maybe the CEO's mind was blown by someone actually using it for what it was intended for.

JonnyPew demonstrated that he had to blow large amounts of his stored PLEX to get enough extractors to get the extractors. Then he LOST SP value in putting it into injectors and had to be careful not to inject too much to avoid the 70% penalty at 80 mil SP. The entire video was a veteran doing what CCP planned vets to do with it.

Yes they can convert them into PLEX and get richer... so what, you can do the same by just playing the game as an expert and being efficient at ISK gathering.

Yes, you can do what IronBank did and WASTE MASSIVE AMOUNTS of SP by maxxing out a character with SP. This isn't something that is cool or even remotely damaging to the game. It demonstrates that someone with enough time or money or both can blow it all on a useless exercise. There is nothing in the game he can fly that can't be killed in. His skills will not save him.

I don't admire what Ironbank did, it was a useless waste of resources and now people are holding it as an example of how the game is ruined. I'm sorry, I don't agree at all. There are controls on the SP trading/injecting process and you have to be willing to completely blow away massive resources to get past them. No sane person will do this for an actual playing toon unless they like wasting time/money.

I do admire what JonnyPew did and thank him greatly for his example of how the system works and how it can be used by vet players to continue to make their EVE experience fun and new. It gives me hope for keeping the game fresh. +10 to JonnyPew.

Instead of griping about it, just play the game your way, who cares what anyone else does. Go blow away IronBank if you ever run across him- THAT is bragging rights. I play for me and don't care how well trained your toon is. I'm working on my toon!
pajedas
Doomheim
#462 - 2016-02-16 17:27:26 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
I play for me and don't care how well trained your toon is. I'm working on my toon!

How can we measure the impact on the "community" if we only view ourselves?

🐇

Avvy
Doomheim
#463 - 2016-02-16 17:30:46 UTC
Scott Dracov wrote:

This kill the patient to heal them SP injector fiasco simply makes SP mandatory to have at level 5 in whatever your flying and make no mistake Corps and FC's will now be expecting you to be at level 5 in any ship that is FOTM right now and not in three months from now because everyone they are fighting could be or is at level 5 so that's the way it is now.

Not sure I'd want to join them anyway, as having sp doesn't necessarily make you a decent pilot. Those that think it does, won't be worth joining.
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#464 - 2016-02-16 17:32:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Zifrian
The only thing I don't like about skill injectors is no cap. The limits don't really prevent something like this from happening. Is this really bad? No, not really because SPs <> skill, but the reason for skill injectors was to allow people to customize and obtain something like from the Character Bazaar. No one could ever create this character and sell it on the Bazaar.

So it seems a little unbalanced imo for those that have the means. Huge cash influx for CCP thought so I doubt they care but I'd like to see a limit on the amount of skill points injected. That would balance this out a bit more imo.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#465 - 2016-02-16 17:33:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Neuntausend
Avvy wrote:
Characters from the bazaar already tainted the purity of the sp tree. The fact it was an out of game process ment that most people didn't even notice.

That alone makes the CB much better (or less bad) than SP trading. Now it's pushed into everybodys face, which in and of itself creates some kind of pressure to buy some SP already.

Also - you could never buy anything on the CB that was impossible to achieve without normal skill training. So, you could not buy a maxed out character. Now you can. True, it's much more expensive than the CB, but the simple fact that this character exists is proof that balancing something through the price does not work.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#466 - 2016-02-16 17:36:34 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
Avvy wrote:
Characters from the bazaar already tainted the purity of the sp tree. The fact it was an out of game process ment that most people didn't even notice.

That alone makes the CB much better (or less bad) than SP trading. Now it's pushed into everybodys face, which in and of itself creates some kind of pressure to buy some SP already.

Also - you could never buy anything on the CB that was impossible to achieve without normal skill training. So, you could not buy a maxed out character. Now you can. True, it's much more expensive than the CB, but the simple fact that this character exists is proof that balancing something through the price does not work.

Except there are no real value in a maxxed out character except the e-fame of having one. Alts with the same capabilities are more powerful than a single character that can do it all.

Also, LOL at the supposed fact that this is more in our face than character trading was. I can't spend 20 minutes in the game without reading or hearing someone talk about buying/selling an alt for reason X, Y or Z. Everyone knew character trading was relatively common.
Avvy
Doomheim
#467 - 2016-02-16 17:39:36 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Everyone knew character trading was relatively common.

Not everyone, I realised much later on, after I'd see the figures.
pajedas
Doomheim
#468 - 2016-02-16 17:42:53 UTC

FLASHBACK!!!

Only need to listen for about a minute :-)

🐇

Nick Bete
Highsec Haulers Inc.
#469 - 2016-02-16 17:43:47 UTC
Meh, who cares? Just because someone may be willing to spend massive amounts of isk/RL cash to max a character doesn't mean a damned thing. Just because he/she has the SP doesn't mean he/she has the skill, experience and/or common sense needed to use them.

Can we now move on to the next big bittervet ***** session item please?
Gillia Winddancer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#470 - 2016-02-16 17:44:14 UTC
Don't see why people are upset. In the end this changes nothing whatsoever. In fact it was expected that a handful of players would do what this guy did.

And lets be honest, when you people are flying out there, does the majority truly give a crap about what skills your opponents have maxed out?

So that means that a typical blob vs blob scenario goes something like this then: "Target that hurricane...no wait, he has maxed out all BC skills and medium projectiles and whatnot else, go for that other hurricane...he is a newbie scrub!"

A typical 1vs1 scenario "Nope, he's maxed out all his skills, I am so ******* out of here!"

Yeah right, as if.

In the end if everyone were to end up with all maxed out skills I honestly doubt that things would change all that much. Now it would be an entirely different story if titans suddenly dropped in price to 100 isk....
Avvy
Doomheim
#471 - 2016-02-16 17:57:49 UTC
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

And lets be honest, when you people are flying out there, does the majority truly give a crap about what skills your opponents have maxed out?

I wouldn't know what anyone has got, as I don't use 3rd party programs. don't even use Evemon.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#472 - 2016-02-16 17:58:28 UTC
pajedas wrote:

I never said that we should only view ourselves. I said we should focus our play on ourselves. There is a world of difference in those two positions. I don't play for the community good, I play for my own entertainment. If I choose to wedge my play value against someone else's actions, perceptions or even their play value, then I deserve what I get when those conditions change.

So far, none of what CCP has done affects my play value, my ego, or anything else I do. I couldn't afford to play in the SP trading game if I tried, so it's like an asteroid impact on Pluto... sure it happens, but man it has NO impact on me.

As far as I can ferret out, it should only have good impact on the game, even with these 'maxxed out' toons. I can get wiped by a 1 week old player in a destroyer, so I have to watch everyone. If IronBank comes and wipes me out, where's his bragging rights? He's accomplished nothing and is EXPECTED to wipe me out. However, if I take him out, then WHOA everyone else is utterly shocked. So, I have nothing to lose, he has everything to lose.
Scott Dracov
Hard Knocks Inc.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#473 - 2016-02-16 18:09:52 UTC
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

So that means that a typical blob vs blob scenario goes something like this then: "Target that hurricane...no wait, he has maxed out all BC skills and medium projectiles and whatnot else, go for that other hurricane...he is a newbie scrub!"....

On a personal level after spending a long time maxing out armor comps to 5 and waiting that time then being in a trial by fire and watching your ship take the full brunt of the enemies fleet being within a hair of exploding into hull... and then being saved at the last second by guardian reps and saying to yourself thank god I spent that time on those skills or I would be in a pod and then in a new pod...

and now realizing that no one else has to wait like you did its all available right now if you pay for it.

and the price you paid in time investment. the choices you made with your meager skill points for what you wanted to do...

does not matter now as its all available... right now.

that cheapens the whole experience in ways beyond description to the point of futility.
Josef Djugashvilis
#474 - 2016-02-16 18:15:39 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
pajedas wrote:

I never said that we should only view ourselves. I said we should focus our play on ourselves. There is a world of difference in those two positions. I don't play for the community good, I play for my own entertainment. If I choose to wedge my play value against someone else's actions, perceptions or even their play value, then I deserve what I get when those conditions change.

So far, none of what CCP has done affects my play value, my ego, or anything else I do. I couldn't afford to play in the SP trading game if I tried, so it's like an asteroid impact on Pluto... sure it happens, but man it has NO impact on me.

As far as I can ferret out, it should only have good impact on the game, even with these 'maxxed out' toons. I can get wiped by a 1 week old player in a destroyer, so I have to watch everyone. If IronBank comes and wipes me out, where's his bragging rights? He's accomplished nothing and is EXPECTED to wipe me out. However, if I take him out, then WHOA everyone else is utterly shocked. So, I have nothing to lose, he has everything to lose.

Of course, that one week old character with a shed load of bought skills is actually an experienced pvp pilot who bought and paid for his new character and skill set with cash just for the fun of it.

How does one tell?

This is not a signature.

Gillia Winddancer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#475 - 2016-02-16 18:15:57 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
pajedas wrote:

Well, frankly this would only be true if IronBank were to utilize all of his skills that his character possesses in combat...besides that, odds are that IronBank has already had all his important combat skills maxed out for years already. It was a rather old main char to begin with, right? Correct me if I am wrong here :p

Come to think of it, the salty tears whining becomes that much more amusing considering that an overwhelming majority of the more experienced players insist that having alts is the best way to play the game cause of...you know, multitasking which increases efficiency and all that stuff.

The only real reason for why people are whining is the fact that IronBank managed to produce a huge e-peen in notime and slap everyone in the face with it - hard.

By the way....who expects that even 5% of the EVE population will do what IronBank did?
Avvy
Doomheim
#476 - 2016-02-16 18:17:47 UTC
Scott Dracov wrote:
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

So that means that a typical blob vs blob scenario goes something like this then: "Target that hurricane...no wait, he has maxed out all BC skills and medium projectiles and whatnot else, go for that other hurricane...he is a newbie scrub!"....

On a personal level after spending a long time maxing out armor comps to 5 and waiting that time then being in a trial by fire and watching your ship take the full brunt of the enemies fleet being within a hair of exploding into hull... and then being saved at the last second by guardian reps and saying to yourself thank god I spent that time on those skills or I would be in a pod and then in a new pod...

and now realizing that no one else has to wait like you did its all available right now if you pay for it.

and the price you paid in time investment. the choices you made with your meager skill points for what you wanted to do...

that cheapens the whole experience in ways beyond description to the point of futility.

I don't really see it that way, but then I've sent loads of sp to Doomheim over the years.

Even if I had all the skills trained it wouldn't matter, as I said somewhere else, it's a sandbox the important part is using those skills.
Big Lynx
#477 - 2016-02-16 18:18:19 UTC
Scott Dracov wrote:
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

Tell that the new instant gratification generation. Its like describing a rainbow to a blind man
Gillia Winddancer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#478 - 2016-02-16 18:23:30 UTC
Scott Dracov wrote:
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

To be honest, I could care less what others do. I have no real intention of using skill injectors on such a grand scale or if at all. It wont affect my gameplay whatsoever. And I am not so petty as to think about what other suddenly can or cannot do where the means doesn't change the end result.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#479 - 2016-02-16 18:32:40 UTC
Big Lynx wrote:

Tell that the new instant gratification generation. Its like describing a rainbow to a blind man

They'll learn eventually (in game and out). They won't like it, but they'll learn.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#480 - 2016-02-16 18:35:12 UTC
Gillia Winddancer wrote:
Scott Dracov wrote:
Gillia Winddancer wrote:

To be honest, I could care less what others do. I have no real intention of using skill injectors on such a grand scale or if at all. It wont affect my gameplay whatsoever. And I am not so petty as to think about what other suddenly can or cannot do where the means doesn't change the end result.
Couldn't. Couldn't care less. If you have no interest, then you couldn't - not could - care less.

I was watching one of the GOP debates the other day and even these supposed well read and educated bastions of conservatism were saying it wrong.

What has happened to the first world that so many people get so many common phrases so wrong?

Mr Epeen Cool