These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Tab not working

First post
Author
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
CK-0FF
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#41 - 2016-02-23 10:04:58 UTC
RIP using the map or ship tree. Since the change I've never used the ship tree and I've gone to Dotlan for most of my map needs. It's a major pain to individually minimize 8-12 windows just to look at something for 30 seconds and get all the windows back. I'd imagine PI would be a pain too if I did that anymore.
Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#42 - 2016-02-23 15:20:14 UTC
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman wrote:
RIP using the map or ship tree. Since the change I've never used the ship tree and I've gone to Dotlan for most of my map needs. It's a major pain to individually minimize 8-12 windows just to look at something for 30 seconds and get all the windows back. I'd imagine PI would be a pain too if I did that anymore.

PI is kinda of annoying now with the missing feature. Lots of minimizing or shifting windows when working with my factories (3x accounts)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE BACK TAB FUNCTION

@dominousnolen

"Fly dangerously, Fly safe, Fly whatever, just keep Flying." - Lee Blackwood

Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#43 - 2016-02-25 16:46:02 UTC
Bump for updates

CCP - Can we get a UI team member to comment on this please?

@dominousnolen

Natya Mebelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2016-02-26 11:20:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Natya Mebelle
I wish we would get a comment from someone who has the "power to talk about" it that actually will change something for the better, like... being able to unbind and rebind that functionality to serve both sides of the playing field.
But what I rather think instead is, as seen with previous issues, that even if the issue is commented on, it will not be resolved now. It may be resolved in months, but definitely not now. Because, you know, "knee jerk reactions" are discouraged.
CCP Surge wrote:
That's not true. We're definitely still keeping tabs on this thread and assessing the situation. Just don't expect any knee-jerk reactions from us so soon. For now keep the feedback coming, keep it constructive. Thanks
( Here is the Source and if you notice the topic, you should feel the irony )

But it might not be resolved AT ALL. That doesn't mean I want to sit back and twiddle my thumbs.
But what CAN we do? Shooting monuments is stupid. Organizing a "Not logging into the game" day is stupid. Whatever protest is stupid. Keeping silent and accepting it is stupid. Just going away is stupid..
We need a way that will not boycott our own playing while still putting more weight behind our voices without just rambling on the forums.

The only thing that comes to mind is go the same way the change happened in the first place.
Going to customer service about it, and let those support tickets go out, one per person.

CCP has just basically allowed us to use customer service to protest about things in the game to have them change.
Customer support tweeted it. I don't think they would be making things up like that.
So let us give them what they apparently can deal with best.
Hard, solid data. Let the well mannered and constructive tickets roll c:

A CCP employee or anyone else with the representative power is free to correct me on why support tickets are the wrong way and not the intended use, IF they can prove me how that change with the tab key that was verified via a customer support tweet has happened if not through support tickets. I just want to know how those silly people managed to change a fundamental aspect of the game's UI so silently. So we are allowed to use the same method.

PS: someone may feel free to quote my post here into the other topic with the camera UI, and may feel free to drop the idea wherever you deem necessary, if nobody with authority speaks against this suggested method of use.

PPS: And screenshot your ticket after you created it, and edit away your username.
Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#45 - 2016-02-26 18:22:07 UTC
Natya Mebelle wrote:

CCP has just basically allowed us to use customer service to protest about things in the game to have them change.
Customer support tweeted it. I don't think they would be making things up like that.
So let us give them what they apparently can deal with best.
Hard, solid data. Let the well mannered and constructive tickets roll c:

A CCP employee or anyone else with the representative power is free to correct me on why support tickets are the wrong way and not the intended use, IF they can prove me how that change with the tab key that was verified via a customer support tweet has happened if not through support tickets. I just want to know how those silly people managed to change a fundamental aspect of the game's UI so silently. So we are allowed to use the same method.

As I state in one of these two threads, I have the sneaking suspicion this was a change done due to player feedback in new player testing. I could be wrong though and we really need some comment from CCPs UI team to validate..

@dominousnolen

Natya Mebelle
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2016-02-27 05:03:19 UTC
Dominous Nolen wrote:
As I state in one of these two threads, I have the sneaking suspicion this was a change done due to player feedback in new player testing. I could be wrong though and we really need some comment from CCPs UI team to validate..
What new player feedback? Where? Which "new players" qualified for that feedback? Who was qualified to be a new player and not an eve veteran making a new trial?
I'm regularly doing trial accounts to check on the new player experience, especially since the fiasco that is called opportunities. Never was I messaged about any new player feedback form, neither ingame nor in my mailbox.

These questions are not specifically targeting you, Dominous, it's a general statement to everyone reading who might have an answer to that c: I just felt like using it as a rather prickly example to poke some holes into the "what if it was really new player feedback" case.
Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#47 - 2016-02-27 05:07:34 UTC
Natya Mebelle wrote:
What new player feedback? Where? Which "new players" qualified for that feedback? Who was qualified to be a new player and not an eve veteran making a new trial?
I'm regularly doing trial accounts to check on the new player experience, especially since the fiasco that is called opportunities. Never was I messaged about any new player feedback form, neither ingame nor in my mailbox.

These questions are not specifically targeting you, Dominous, it's a general statement to everyone reading who might have an answer to that c: I just felt like using it as a rather prickly example to poke some holes into the "what if it was really new player feedback" case.

I wouldn't be surprised they've done some form of testing with folks that don't normally play to gauge the ease of adaptability to the new player experience.

They do focus groups on other areas, so I would imagine NPE might fall into one those focus group scenarios as well.

Just a thought mind you. Cannot confirm 100%

@dominousnolen

Natya Mebelle
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2016-02-27 06:13:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Natya Mebelle
Oh yes, please! Let it be that focus group that made the opportunity system appear to be working so well as demonstrated by powerful graphs (which withstood no amount of scrutiny) and blocking all naysayers, only to then admit a few months later that they didn't quite work out in the real world as anticipated.
Oh please let it be that focus group. That would be hilarious! :D

Edit: I guess that is unlikely though. Because that focus group feedback is months and months old.
Axhind
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2016-02-27 11:08:16 UTC
Natya Mebelle wrote:
Oh yes, please! Let it be that focus group that made the opportunity system appear to be working so well as demonstrated by powerful graphs (which withstood no amount of scrutiny) and blocking all naysayers, only to then admit a few months later that they didn't quite work out in the real world as anticipated.
Oh please let it be that focus group. That would be hilarious! :D

Edit: I guess that is unlikely though. Because that focus group feedback is months and months old.

Hey statistics is hard and it's even harder to realise that EVE caters to a certain type of player who are not mentally challenged (or they would be playing console games or CoD/BF). A lot of us here managed to start, learn and continue playing (10 years for me in a month or two) with Tab there and were not confused (or if we were it did not last long). Suddenly they draft a few console kids and start messing around with perfectly working functions and mapping.

I mean what the hell are they going to do? Change Tab to show a list of players and their scores?
Soltys
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2016-02-27 15:25:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Soltys
Axhind wrote:
I mean what the hell are they going to do? Change Tab to show a list of players and their scores?

Don't give them ideas .... or they will implement per-local system deathmach zkillboard or some other nonsense like that.

Jita Flipping Inc.: Kovl & Kuvl

Chatarina DeBeers
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#51 - 2016-03-03 15:53:19 UTC
So because of some dim-wit, we now have to make due without the ship tree and PI? Just because some idiot found it "confusing"? I'll give you confusing: Changing a core UI feature so that it messes up many other important aspects of the game, like PI, the Ship Tree, or just the ability to peek around and/or enjoy the scenery while still maintaining tactical awareness. That confuses me, and I find it immensely annoying and frustrating, because it was something that actually made the game better. I probably found the usage of the tab key just as confusing when I was new too, but then I learned to love it. Oh ****, the game made me learn something! Can't have that! No, better remove that feature before more people confuse this with an intelligently designed game. (Sorry, I guess I ran out of constructive there. It's because this frustrates me greatly.)
Jaantrag
#52 - 2016-03-05 18:44:06 UTC
damn .. and i toght i had the key misplaced to something else .. 2 hours of looking thro shortcuts to wonder where it went .. duno how many times i went thro em ..

BRING TAB BACK

EVElopedia < add this to your sig to show u WANT it back

Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#53 - 2016-03-07 20:32:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Dominous Nolen
Anyone from the CCP UI Dev side able to confirm if we are going to see this feature restored in the next release or a point release?

Feeling like this one is going to get left out to dry here.

It's a small change but a useful one.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit:

Turtlepower advised in the Camera thread the following
Quote:

Dominous Nolen wrote:
Turtlepower - Can you comment on the loss of the tab function, please?

We are aware of this issue and hope to fix it soon, most likely as a bindable hotkey.

@dominousnolen

xXxNIMRODxXx
Arial Enterprise
Sigma Grindset
#54 - 2016-03-09 19:20:41 UTC
Would be great if the TAB function could not only be restored, but also ADDED to when you do PI on a planet, cause TAB there never worked, and it's the place that MOST would need it. IMO.
Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#55 - 2016-03-09 20:49:32 UTC
xXxNIMRODxXx wrote:
Would be great if the TAB function could not only be restored, but also ADDED to when you do PI on a planet, cause TAB there never worked, and it's the place that MOST would need it. IMO.

Holy Hell, Yes. It was the one place I actually want it enable. Everywhere else was a nice to have, not a need to have.

@dominousnolen

Chatarina DeBeers
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#56 - 2016-03-21 18:47:24 UTC
The only place I missed TAB was in PI. The workaround was to press TAB before entering PI, and then press TAB again after exiting. Now not even that is possible. :p
Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#57 - 2016-04-28 14:05:48 UTC
Bump for updates because, I'm not letting this one fall through the cracks.

CCP - Are we going to restoral of this function? the new features are great and all but please confirm if you've considered implementation of some form of the roll up keybind again as you advised on the March release issues thread..

@dominousnolen

Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#58 - 2016-06-27 23:33:45 UTC
Bumping, once again.

Camera Thread reply from CCP Turtlepower.

@dominousnolen

xXxNIMRODxXx
Arial Enterprise
Sigma Grindset
#59 - 2016-07-13 05:18:23 UTC
BRING
BACK
TAB

Stop going 1 direction forward and 5 backwards ffs.
Dominous Nolen
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#60 - 2016-07-13 17:15:58 UTC
Been talking to Turtlepower about this. Seriously hoping this comes back.

@dominousnolen