These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Minmatar Militia: Directives

Author
Alizabeth Vea
Doomheim
#61 - 2015-12-11 00:17:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Alizabeth Vea
Arrendis, I will not ever try and argue that what happened to Starkman Prime was not an aberration, an atrocity, and a failure of the highest order. It was wrong.

I do not know why Lord Idonis Ardishapur was not publicly punished; he was dead before I met Sister Rahma and learned about the Amarr faith.

As someone whose homeworld was ordered destroyed by a maniacal despot, I can only be thankful that Admiral Yanala had the honor to disobey such an order. I wish that someone in the fleet over Starkman Prime had done something similar. I do believe now, based on all the Amarr that I have met, were a similar order to be given (which I do not believe it would be) that it would be refused. Which is where I stand today. The Empire that I have come to know is one which has learned from its failures and defeats. Though, to call Starkman Prime a failure is to woefully understate the magnitude of such a thing.

Retainer of Lady Newelle and House Sarum.

"Those who step into the light shall be redeemed, the sins of their past cleansed, so that they may know salvation." -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

Virtue. Valor. Victory.

Nauplius
Hoi Andrapodistai
#62 - 2015-12-11 00:29:49 UTC
The only crime of Starkman Prime was Arzad Hamri's disgusting liberalism. Working in the fields alongside slaves? Giving slaves days of rest seemingly every other day? Giving slaves a replica symbol of divine authority?

So great were these crimes and blasphemies that even the wayward, liberal Theology Council understood that the extermination of the entire planet's population was the only option. Would that the Empire exterminate liberalism in this manner today.
Gaven Lok'ri
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#63 - 2015-12-11 01:12:11 UTC
As a commoner who presumes to hold slaves and believes that God speaks to him personally, you are probably one of the most "liberal" Amarrians posting on this forum, Nauplius.

Admiral of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore 24th Imperial Crusade

Holder. Vassal of the Emperor Family

Gaven Lok'ri
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#64 - 2015-12-11 01:14:53 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Gaven Lok'ri wrote:
How can you possibly make pronouncements about what rights Amarr has or does not have using this definition? It would seem by your own barbaric definition that if we are capable of doing something we have the right to do so.

Only if you are expressly saying that you place your personal interests over the interests of society. That you, personally, and what you want, are more important than everyone else.

Are you? Are you personally more important than what's best for trillions of people?

No, but then I don't subscribe to any portion of your silly idea of natural rights.

The only rights are those given by God.

Admiral of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore 24th Imperial Crusade

Holder. Vassal of the Emperor Family

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#65 - 2015-12-11 01:42:08 UTC
The intent of Arzad was to discourage uprising. It was a demonstration of the cost of rebellion. Whether it succeeded or failed, that is why it happened.
ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#66 - 2015-12-11 02:03:37 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Arrendis wrote:
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
None of us can provide empirical evidence for our beliefs - even those of us who believe nothing, because absence of proof isn't proof of absence.

It certainly isn't. But how many of us are presuming to force our beliefs on others, and justifying it purely on 'because my belief says I should'? I'm not going to tell the Amarr they shouldn't believe in God. I don't have that right. And they don't have the right to enslave others in the name of forcing them to believe in God.

Preaching cultural non-interference to the Caldari? Of course I agree with you.

And this is worth more than all of the aid shipments could ever be to me.
Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2015-12-11 02:49:27 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:
The intent of Arzad was to discourage uprising. It was a demonstration of the cost of rebellion. Whether it succeeded or failed, that is why it happened.

And that turned out to be adding more fuel to the flames of rebellion. That incident taught our forefathers exactly how little we are worth (seriously, millions of us for the life of one Holder? Are we really worth this little?) and how lopsided Amarrian justice is (those not involved in the instigation of the uprising were also targets for extermination).

Try something else next time.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Alizabeth Vea
Doomheim
#68 - 2015-12-11 13:48:08 UTC
I think they did try something else the next time, by not bombarding any planets in the actual rebellion. Wide scale orbital bombardment would have been the military expedient, but morally wrong choice when whole worlds are in an open state of rebellion.

"Those who step into the light shall be redeemed, the sins of their past cleansed, so that they may know salvation." -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

Virtue. Valor. Victory.

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#69 - 2015-12-12 04:29:13 UTC
Alizabeth Vea wrote:
I think they did try something else the next time, by not bombarding any planets in the actual rebellion. Wide scale orbital bombardment would have been the military expedient, but morally wrong choice when whole worlds are in an open state of rebellion.

By then, the damage is already done. The rebellion is on full swing and more violence didn't quell the situation.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Arrendis
TK Corp
#70 - 2015-12-12 06:19:42 UTC
Gaven Lok'ri wrote:
The only rights are those given by God.

The one you still haven't proven exists?
Arrendis
TK Corp
#71 - 2015-12-12 06:29:57 UTC
Alizabeth Vea wrote:
Arrendis, I will not ever try and argue that what happened to Starkman Prime was an aberration, an atrocity, and a failure of the highest order. It was wrong.

I do not know why Lord Idonis Ardishapur was not publicly punished; he was dead before I met Sister Rahma and learned about the Amarr faith.

As someone whose homeworld was ordered destroyed by a maniacal despot, I can only be thankful that Admiral Yanala had the honor to disobey such an order. I wish that someone in the fleet over Starkman Prime had done something similar. I do believe now, based on all the Amarr that I have met, were a similar order to be given (which I do not believe it would be) that it would be refused. Which is where I stand today. The Empire that I have come to know is one which has learned from its failures and defeats. Though, to call Starkman Prime a failure is to woefully understate the magnitude of such a thing.

I wouldn't call it an aberration at all. Only the most extreme example of the same thought processes that have guided the Empire all along.

Believing yourself worth more than another, that's what allows the Amarr to attempt to force others to adhere to their beliefs. It's what led them to build a social structure based on subjugating everyone else. It's why they brought aggression, violence, abuse, and oppression to a peaceful race - and have the temerity to call their victims 'savages'.

It's what drives them still - not all of them, individually, of course, but structurally, doctrinally - a True Amarr is held to be worth more than a Ni-Kunni, who is held to be worth more than a Matari.

And the only thing that prevents another Starkman Prime is the individual forbearance of the nobility. You say you don't think that order would be obeyed today? Why not? If anything, it might not be obeyed because some officer might realize it would cause more problems. But it won't be disobeyed on moral grounds. Not in a society where obedience is the highest moral obligation.
Alizabeth Vea
Doomheim
#72 - 2015-12-12 07:30:34 UTC
Granted, my understanding is more limited, but it's only the True Amarr that stand above. And they stand above simply because of a longer experience of living righteously and in accordance with God's law.

Virtue. Valor. Victory.

Lyn Farel
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#73 - 2015-12-12 11:17:13 UTC
Everyone of the four main civilizations in New Eden, without a single exception, believes they are worth more and superior to all the other ones.

Not a single one defaults that statement.

For the True Amarr, they believe themselves superior exactly because they are the ones that never strayed away from the path of the Divine.
Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
United Caldari Space Command.
#74 - 2015-12-12 11:56:13 UTC
I can propose only one Directive to Minmatar Militia:

1) TO DIE.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Deitra Vess
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#75 - 2015-12-12 14:43:06 UTC
Really? No "stupid tribal" comment or anything? Nothing more elaborate? Someone's getting lazy.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#76 - 2015-12-12 17:02:49 UTC
Alizabeth Vea wrote:
Granted, my understanding is more limited, but it's only the True Amarr that stand above. And they stand above simply because of a longer experience of living righteously and in accordance with God's law.

And by that measure, the Ni-Kunni, Reclaimed earlier and no longer enslaved en masse would stand higher than the Minmatar, no?
Alizabeth Vea
Doomheim
#77 - 2015-12-12 18:33:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Alizabeth Vea
From my reading of Scripture, no. The champion of House Sarum was Ni-Kunni, but the champion of House Ardishapur was Reclaimed Minmatar.
I am prepared to be wrong in this instance, though. As I said, I am not actually an Amarr citizen. This pilgrimage is supposed to be a learning experience for me to find out more about the Amarr Empire, not just the Amarr faith.

Virtue. Valor. Victory.

Arrendis
TK Corp
#78 - 2015-12-12 18:36:22 UTC
Alizabeth Vea wrote:
From my reading of Scripture, no. The champion of House Sarum was Ni-Kunni, but the champion of House Ardishapur was Reclaimed Minmatar.

Individuals can always present outliers, capsuleers trebly so. You know that.
Alizabeth Vea
Doomheim
#79 - 2015-12-12 19:22:57 UTC
True enough. I really only know my place in the social order, which can be summed up as 'somewhere near the bottom.'

Virtue. Valor. Victory.