These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why do off grid links exist?

Author
Lesovyk Mara
Funtime Factory
#21 - 2015-11-10 06:50:25 UTC
As an OGB alt, stop oppressing me.

Don't be so scared. I'm not even on grid with you, so I can't hurt you at all.
Yang Aurilen
The Mjolnir Bloc
Templis CALSF
#22 - 2015-11-10 07:37:44 UTC
Lesovyk Mara wrote:
As an OGB alt, stop oppressing me.

Don't be so scared. I'm not even on grid with you, so I can't hurt you at all.

No you are everything wrong in this world. You're even worse than those AFK cloakers in Jita. How can I 0.01 isk in peace if I know there is someone out there afk cloaking!

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#23 - 2015-11-10 17:02:00 UTC
Calm down everyone. Boosters are moving on grid in the fall of 2016.

t3 boosters will lose a bit more ooomph and the tankier command ships will get a leg up.

Master Sergeant MacRobert
Space-Brewery-Association
Two Maidens One Chalice
#24 - 2015-11-10 17:07:29 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Boosters are moving on grid in the fall of 2016.

Ack... my Serendipity is lost

"Remedy this situation or you shall live out the rest of your life in a pain amplifier"

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
It Burns When I'm PvPing
#25 - 2015-11-10 17:12:45 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:

t3 boosters will lose a bit more ooomph and the tankier command ships will get a leg up.

Source please.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#26 - 2015-11-10 18:13:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Ares Desideratus
Bastion Arzi wrote:

not everyone has links. links wont win u every fight. they give u an edge.

Daerrol wrote:

My point is this: I am terrible at PVP. Like the worst. I can still make some kills though, what's your excuse?

Abannans Forum Alt wrote:
chances are, the guy who killed you with links would've probably killed you without them too

Posts like these are missing the point of why OGBs are so terrible.

The stats you gain from an AFK T3 alt are insanely over powered for their price, this is well documented. You get advantages you can't get anywhere else in the game for such a cheap price.

On top of those epic bonuses, the AFK T3 alt can also Cov Ops cloak, is very difficult to probe down, is interdiction nullified, and so is at very little risk itself.

Plus, the idea of creating a second account, training it for six months (just a vague estimation, I don't care if I'm technically wrong; I think you can get the point), and then dragging this secret alt around with you everywhere you go for PvP, is just really lame gameplay, I mean come on, that is such garbage. Does anyone really feel good or have fun dragging a Loki around with their main everywhere they go so that they can be risk averse with a cloaky nullified scout that boosts them from a safe spot every time they decide they want to fight? Sorry but that is just plain stupid.

I have an alt that just finished training for Loki, I used it a few times last month (I admit the actual PvP I did was pretty fun), but I've put it away and I'm going to sell the account (or the character, I'm not exactly sure how that works) based on principle. This type of gameplay is just too boring. It's boring, it's lame, it's any bad word you want to call it, but it's anything but interesting.

Of course links are not the only thing that matters, or they won't win you every fight, and it's not impossible to beat someone who used links, but that's all beside the point; links are insanely OP, they're relatively inexpensive, there's almost no risk involved in using them, and the gameplay itself that they provide is just garbage. It's an AFK second account that sits in space and gives your ship steroids. Wow, so awesome. /s

Links are cancer. They're the opposite of fun or interesting gameplay and they're completely imbalanced.

That's all I have to say about that. It's the last post I'll make in this thread, I didn't want to post in here again because it's redundant but I couldn't sleep thinking about it :D

Links are going to get fixed, you can be sure of that. There's no way around it, it's obvious how bad they are and a change is inevitable.
Bastion Arzi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2015-11-10 19:14:32 UTC
same sort of thing someone said when i posted a thread asking ccp not to nerf the mach few years ago.
Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#28 - 2015-11-10 19:37:33 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:

Prepare for Incursion runner outrage in fall of 2016.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#29 - 2015-11-10 20:54:10 UTC
IIRC, the commonly cited reason has been that bringing them on grid represented some significant technical hurdles re: the relatively expensive re-calculation of stats.

That issue should hopefully go away with brain in a box.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#30 - 2015-11-10 22:11:42 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:

And grids are expanding to be several hundreds of kilometres wider than they currently are (maybe even a few thousand kilometres).

On grid won't really change much for many people and the whinging will continue.
Berendas
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2015-11-11 00:03:50 UTC
Ares Desideratus wrote:
Bastion Arzi wrote:

not everyone has links. links wont win u every fight. they give u an edge.

Daerrol wrote:

My point is this: I am terrible at PVP. Like the worst. I can still make some kills though, what's your excuse?

chances are, the guy who killed you with links would've probably killed you without them too

Posts like these are missing the point of why OGBs are so terrible.

The stats you gain from an AFK T3 alt are insanely over powered for their price, this is well documented. You get advantages you can't get anywhere else in the game for such a cheap price.

On top of those epic bonuses, the AFK T3 alt can also Cov Ops cloak, is very difficult to probe down, is interdiction nullified, and so is at very little risk itself.

Plus, the idea of creating a second account, training it for six months (just a vague estimation, I don't care if I'm technically wrong; I think you can get the point), and then dragging this secret alt around with you everywhere you go for PvP, is just really lame gameplay, I mean come on, that is such garbage. Does anyone really feel good or have fun dragging a Loki around with their main everywhere they go so that they can be risk averse with a cloaky nullified scout that boosts them from a safe spot every time they decide they want to fight? Sorry but that is just plain stupid.

I have an alt that just finished training for Loki, I used it a few times last month (I admit the actual PvP I did was pretty fun), but I've put it away and I'm going to sell the account (or the character, I'm not exactly sure how that works) based on principle. This type of gameplay is just too boring. It's boring, it's lame, it's any bad word you want to call it, but it's anything but interesting.

Of course links are not the only thing that matters, or they won't win you every fight, and it's not impossible to beat someone who used links, but that's all beside the point; links are insanely OP, they're relatively inexpensive, there's almost no risk involved in using them, and the gameplay itself that they provide is just garbage. It's an AFK second account that sits in space and gives your ship steroids. Wow, so awesome. /s

Links are cancer. They're the opposite of fun or interesting gameplay and they're completely imbalanced.

That's all I have to say about that. It's the last post I'll make in this thread, I didn't want to post in here again because it's redundant but I couldn't sleep thinking about it :D

Links are going to get fixed, you can be sure of that. There's no way around it, it's obvious how bad they are and a change is inevitable.

This tbh
Demerius Xenocratus
Rapid Withdrawal
Pen Is Out
#32 - 2015-11-11 13:05:37 UTC

Some of us would relish the opportunity to find out. And some of us seem to be afraid to do so. I'd rather face off against a player's skill than their willingness to spend more dollars on the game.

In other news, my corpmates are presently flying a Svipul that, with links has 40k EHP, two neuts, a 45m sig radius, does 4k cold in prop mode and over 400 DPS cold. CCP can't release decent ships because links make them batshit insane.
Master Sergeant MacRobert
Space-Brewery-Association
Two Maidens One Chalice
#33 - 2015-11-11 13:16:10 UTC
Demerius Xenocratus wrote:

Some of us would relish the opportunity to find out. And some of us seem to be afraid to do so. I'd rather face off against a player's skill than their willingness to spend more dollars on the game.

In other news, my corpmates are presently flying a Svipul that, with links has 40k EHP, two neuts, a 45m sig radius, does 4k cold in prop mode and over 400 DPS cold. CCP can't release decent ships because links make them batshit insane.

Yeah, been talking about this sort of thing on comms and the skirmish links need to be smashed into something alternative new. Remove them and lower the % on the armor and siege links (particularly on T3C's).

"Remedy this situation or you shall live out the rest of your life in a pain amplifier"

Abannans Forum Alt
Doomheim
#34 - 2015-11-11 13:40:06 UTC
still whining over an extra 15 dollars? lol
Verlyn
Minmatar Secret Service
Ushra'Khan
#35 - 2015-11-11 14:17:12 UTC

Yea sure, so force the layman to pay double to be able to compete.

You're also an idiot.
Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#36 - 2015-11-11 15:25:17 UTC
Verlyn wrote:

You're also an idiot.

Or find someone who is willing to follow you around in a OGB. It is an MMO after all.
Reah Darknorth
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2015-11-11 19:24:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Reah Darknorth
Estella Osoka wrote:
Verlyn wrote:

You're also an idiot.

Or find someone who is willing to follow you around in a OGB. It is an MMO after all.

Congratulations! That's the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Edit: Sorry for being rude, but seriously...
Demerius Xenocratus
Rapid Withdrawal
Pen Is Out
#38 - 2015-11-11 20:26:32 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
Verlyn wrote:

You're also an idiot.

Come on you're smarter than that. People use alts for these roles because they are tasks no human player would be willing to perform consistently, + the alt is at your command 24/7.
Demerius Xenocratus
Rapid Withdrawal
Pen Is Out
#39 - 2015-11-11 20:31:47 UTC

What if it becomes 3 accounts? Or 4? This is a bad trend. I don't want my chances at a game to be so heavily dependent on how much extra cash, on top of the initial subscription, that I'm willing to fork over to the developer.
Abannans Forum Alt
Doomheim
#40 - 2015-11-11 21:34:46 UTC
i pay for 5 v0v