These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

What is CCP giving to The Mittani?

First post First post
Author
Aoife Fraoch
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2015-11-03 21:13:54 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Licensing for the book to use the EVE Universe IP.



Guess that explains the 150,000 $. What?


That did seem a little high. a History of the Great Empires (what is the acceptable abbreviation of this anyway?) was only pitching for 12,500, and they had to pay for art as well. The break down for Fountain war would be interesting.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#22 - 2015-11-03 21:14:30 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Licensing for the book to use the EVE Universe IP.



Guess that explains the 150,000 $. What?


I hear people will spend a year working for nothing and people will publish/print and do all the legal stuff for free.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#23 - 2015-11-03 21:20:03 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Licensing for the book to use the EVE Universe IP.



Guess that explains the 150,000 $. What?


I hear people will spend a year working for nothing and people will publish/print and do all the legal stuff for free.


See the answer above yours. An even larger project (in scope, duration and investment) it's being done for 12,500 $.
Aoife Fraoch
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2015-11-03 21:26:56 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Licensing for the book to use the EVE Universe IP.



Guess that explains the 150,000 $. What?


I hear people will spend a year working for nothing and people will publish/print and do all the legal stuff for free.


See the answer above yours. An even larger project (in scope, duration and investment) it's being done for 12,500 $.


To be fair, I think they finished their campaign at just under $100,000. (It was a very cool sounding project and I look forward to my copy)
Nafensoriel
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2015-11-03 21:37:39 UTC
Publishing a book...
hmm..
45-65/hr editor + 25-70hr Copy Editor... A good 3 Grand conservatively. More if you actually hire people that actually reads the book and knows proper grammar and spelling.

Cover Art: Eh debatable.. but since this is EVE IP its probably CCP licence + 50-5000 bucks depending on the quality of the artist and the detail you want.

Media format.. Don't remember if MOBI needs a licence or not.. EPUB is free as are most other formats so zero bucks here.

ISBN: ISBNs in canada are free provided certain conditions.. IIRC American/EU rates are 125/unit or something close to that.

Distribution is complex for this one.. North American and European markets have semifree digital publishing.. physical not so free. Id have to ask a few questions to know how much it would run but it aint cheap.

Book printing is again more complex.. but you can assume a standard paperback costs around 9-12 dollars a unit for a 350 page paperback of standard size being sold for between 7-12 dollars. Yes this means you can actually lose money if you get the wrong print on demand service. Plus side.. its very easy to print on demand now so no more mentally ******** lot sizes that YOU have to pay for before you even sell your first copy.

Professional Reviews.. Yeah bet you didnt realize you actually have to PAY for these did ya mister reader? They aint cheap either. around 150-650 per review set from the big lots. You could just put it on the shelf and hope for the best.. but its a product.. reviews are life.

Finally you get hype! Radios are between 250 - 10000 bucks a month depending on station, time, and length. TV can get into the tens of thousands easy. Millions if you are stupid or have a "sure thing". Heck even ad purchasing on the interwebs is a monthly cost.

This is all before the "cuts" come out in the form of personal time.. Bills gotta get paid ya know.

/Reference Published a few technical manuals. Were paid for by the business but damn I never knew how expensive that crap could be until I had done it.




mech res
Fwaction Warfare Corporwation
#26 - 2015-11-03 21:52:58 UTC

According to the Mittani.com writer, Sion Kumitomo, CCP and the Mittani are partners.

"TheMittani.com in partnership with CCP and best selling author Jeff Edwards is proud to announce that we'll be bringing you the incredible story of the Fountain War."

https://www.themittani.com/news/themittanicom-and-ccp-games-announce-kickstarter-campaign

According to CCP Falcon it appears CCP is only allowing the eve intellectual property rights to be used.

It's unclear who is getting what from this. Are the rest of the profits being split between the mittani and the author?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#27 - 2015-11-03 21:53:23 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:


See the answer above yours. An even larger project (in scope, duration and investment) it's being done for 12,500 $.


Said guy is not working on it full time as his job.

Your grr gon is showing.
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#28 - 2015-11-03 22:12:35 UTC
mech res wrote:

According to the Mittani.com writer, Sion Kumitomo, CCP and the Mittani are partners.

"TheMittani.com in partnership with CCP and best selling author Jeff Edwards is proud to announce that we'll be bringing you the incredible story of the Fountain War."

https://www.themittani.com/news/themittanicom-and-ccp-games-announce-kickstarter-campaign

According to CCP Falcon it appears CCP is only allowing the eve intellectual property rights to be used.

It's unclear who is getting what from this. Are the rest of the profits being split between the mittani and the author?


What profits? They have to make the book first. Kickstarter donations aren't profit. And most of the Kickstarter money goes to the author so he can work full-time on the book.
Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2015-11-03 22:21:02 UTC
SilentAsTheGrave wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Licensing for the book to use the EVE Universe IP.


Will there be punishment handed out for mittens being caught RMTing via the Kickstarter? Or was that part of the deal setup with CCP and it gets him a free pass? Not trying to start ****, but the community deserves to know what is going on considering CCP has been giving perma-bans for the exchange of real money for in game items before.


Has there actually been an exchange of real money for in game items in this case?
Lord LazyGhost
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2015-11-03 22:21:54 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Licensing for the book to use the EVE Universe IP.



thats good support...

will not sue the **** out of you happy xmas :)

good old CCP :)
Camios
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2015-11-03 22:26:58 UTC
I wish The Mittani the best in this endeavour, thinking about pledging.
A comment though: why the hell would anyone pledge 250 euros for that? That's a cool thing, but... This I will never understand.
Aoife Fraoch
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2015-11-03 22:29:40 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:


See the answer above yours. An even larger project (in scope, duration and investment) it's being done for 12,500 $.


Said guy is not working on it full time as his job.

Your grr gon is showing.


I have no grr to give, it seems like effort, look at my first post in this thread.

Anyway it's a kick starter. I will back/not back based on the idea and the tiers. The back-end cost structure is mostly irrelevant to me as a backer (unless the need to start selling photos of pages after the campaign to keep the project afloat....)

It is interesting that they might be treating it as a fully paid pre-order with any post campaign sales as profit.

mech res
Fwaction Warfare Corporwation
#33 - 2015-11-03 22:32:09 UTC
Owen Levanth wrote:
mech res wrote:

According to the Mittani.com writer, Sion Kumitomo, CCP and the Mittani are partners.

"TheMittani.com in partnership with CCP and best selling author Jeff Edwards is proud to announce that we'll be bringing you the incredible story of the Fountain War."

https://www.themittani.com/news/themittanicom-and-ccp-games-announce-kickstarter-campaign

According to CCP Falcon it appears CCP is only allowing the eve intellectual property rights to be used.

It's unclear who is getting what from this. Are the rest of the profits being split between the mittani and the author?


What profits? They have to make the book first. Kickstarter donations aren't profit. And most of the Kickstarter money goes to the author so he can work full-time on the book.


Will the book not continue to sell after it is made? Or is it then given out for free? If it is to be sold who gets the money?

Generally partners share the costs and the profits. They also generally need to have aligned goals.

According to the Mittani.com, CCP and the mittani are partners in this with the author.

According to CCP Falcon, CCP is only allowing them to use the EVE name and related ip. Well he said they are allowing that. He technically didn't say that is all the involvement ccp has. I would be interested in knowing if CCP is partnering with the mittani.



Aoife Fraoch
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2015-11-03 22:40:49 UTC
mech res wrote:
Owen Levanth wrote:
mech res wrote:

According to the Mittani.com writer, Sion Kumitomo, CCP and the Mittani are partners.

"TheMittani.com in partnership with CCP and best selling author Jeff Edwards is proud to announce that we'll be bringing you the incredible story of the Fountain War."

https://www.themittani.com/news/themittanicom-and-ccp-games-announce-kickstarter-campaign

According to CCP Falcon it appears CCP is only allowing the eve intellectual property rights to be used.

It's unclear who is getting what from this. Are the rest of the profits being split between the mittani and the author?


What profits? They have to make the book first. Kickstarter donations aren't profit. And most of the Kickstarter money goes to the author so he can work full-time on the book.


Will the book not continue to sell after it is made? Or is it then given out for free? If it is to be sold who gets the money?

Generally partners share the costs and the profits. They also generally need to have aligned goals.

According to the Mittani.com, CCP and the mittani are partners in this with the author.

According to CCP Falcon, CCP is only allowing them to use the EVE name and related ip. Well he said they are allowing that. He technically didn't say that is all the involvement ccp has. I would be interested in knowing if CCP is partnering with the mittani.






Now this is grrrr goons with a side of manufactured controversy.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#35 - 2015-11-03 22:44:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
CCP Falcon wrote:
Licensing for the book to use the EVE Universe IP.
... to Mittens?
Are you insane?!

Erotic EVE hentai fiction incoming in 5 ... 4 ... 3...

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#36 - 2015-11-03 22:46:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
mech res wrote:
According to CCP Falcon, CCP is only allowing them to use the EVE name and related ip. Well he said they are allowing that. He technically didn't say that is all the involvement ccp has. I would be interested in knowing if CCP is partnering with the mittani.
By allowing the use of their intellectual property they are de facto partners in the same way that they're partners with Baltasar Korm√°kur for the TV series and with Dark Horse Comics for the comics. They're essentially licensing their property (the stories we create with their game) to 3rd parties, it's a fairly normal occurrence in the real world.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

mech res
Fwaction Warfare Corporwation
#37 - 2015-11-03 22:59:44 UTC  |  Edited by: mech res
Aoife Fraoch wrote:
mech res wrote:

Will the book not continue to sell after it is made? Or is it then given out for free? If it is to be sold who gets the money?

Generally partners share the costs and the profits. They also generally need to have aligned goals.

According to the Mittani.com, CCP and the mittani are partners in this with the author.

According to CCP Falcon, CCP is only allowing them to use the EVE name and related ip. Well he said they are allowing that. He technically didn't say that is all the involvement ccp has. I would be interested in knowing if CCP is partnering with the mittani.






Now this is grrrr goons with a side of manufactured controversy.


Ok yet another eve-o thread sidetracked with silly mantras like "grrr goons."


I like(d) plenty of goons but I admit the mittani (the real person) strikes me as pretty slimy and less than honest. I would like to know if ccp thinks they are partnering with him or if they think that is a bit of a stretch. Are they more involved in this project than they were about the other book about the history of eve? Either they are or not. I am not trying to manufacture anything. Just asking some questions that ccp likely anticipated, given Mr. Gianturco's past actions and statements.

edit:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
mech res wrote:
According to CCP Falcon, CCP is only allowing them to use the EVE name and related ip. Well he said they are allowing that. He technically didn't say that is all the involvement ccp has. I would be interested in knowing if CCP is partnering with the mittani.
By allowing the use of their intellectual property they are de facto partners in the same way that they're partners with Baltasar Korm√°kur for the TV series and with Dark Horse Comics for the comics. They're essentially licensing their property (the stories we create with their game) to 3rd parties, it's a fairly normal occurrence in the real world.


That is a bit of stretch of the term partnership. The author of the other book did not claim he was partnering with ccp. That is why I ask if that is the extent of ccp's involvement.
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#38 - 2015-11-03 23:05:05 UTC
i guess it's the done thing these days to try to squeeze a dollar out of any amount of e-celebrity. There is a gulf of disconnect between the small gaggle of nerds who are in the market for a book on this and the larger group who have no clue beyond an ignorant sort of grrr gons hat gons outlook.
Both those groups together add up to a tiny pool to be fishing in, are these kickstarters all just begging?
Jeff Edwards' writing is weak. He's basically a technical writer with no real turn of phrase, using the word hilarious for rice cakes.
I can't stay awake watching EvE, or imagine a book about it. EvE fiction is uniformly awful, with some of the clunkiest descriptive passages i've ever seen dropped into inert by-the-numbers listing of events.
Go ahead, call me negative, i see nothing here deserving thousands of dollars, just a low key attempt to milk.


Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Brian Harrelstein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#39 - 2015-11-03 23:40:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Brian Harrelstein
.
Estelie Heyan
Xri
#40 - 2015-11-04 00:05:13 UTC
mech res wrote:
Will the book not continue to sell after it is made? Or is it then given out for free? If it is to be sold who gets the money?

Generally partners share the costs and the profits. They also generally need to have aligned goals.

According to the Mittani.com, CCP and the mittani are partners in this with the author.

According to CCP Falcon, CCP is only allowing them to use the EVE name and related ip. Well he said they are allowing that. He technically didn't say that is all the involvement ccp has. I would be interested in knowing if CCP is partnering with the mittani.

The amount of stupid in this thread is amazing

1. Mittens is a trust fund babby and doesnt care about isk ingame/ out of game or making money from game

2. Why do pubbies wanna **** on somebody trying to do something good for this dying game

3. If it was a chribba or sugar kyle it wouldnt have nearly the same exposure/backing but all of your little grr goon hearts would feel better about it.