These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The state of Highsec

Author
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2015-09-29 13:04:36 UTC
admiral root wrote:
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
If a pirate wants the benefit of operating in hisec without CONCORD interference they should be expected to use a POS and thus be just as at risk of wardecs as the player corps with a POS.

Risk comes from players, not mechanics, and as long as the vast majority of those in highsec are going to sit on their butts and scream impotently for Someone to do something(TM) I don't see why CCP should waste any more time on you whinebears. CODE. have had POSes up multiple times over the years and no-one has had the fortitude to come at us (even the people who had declared war on us at the time), so what makes you think this would magically change if we were driven out of stations in your crusade to nerf highsec into the ground?

This all sounds a lot like "if highsec was much safer, players would have time to accumulate enough isk to progress to PvP in lowsec and nullsec". Followed by "if carebears had this" and "if carebears had that". You have more than enough tools to deliver risk directly and indirectly to our pods - use them.

Actually it is none of those things but rather a proposal to level the playing field between the haulers and gankers in such a way that allows the hauler/indy chars to retaliate somewhere.
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#102 - 2015-09-29 14:08:59 UTC

Actually it is none of those things but rather a proposal to level the playing field between the haulers and gankers in such a way that allows the hauler/indy chars to retaliate somewhere.

Guns are a thing and everyone can get, or hire, them.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#103 - 2015-09-29 14:43:41 UTC
admiral root wrote:
afkalt wrote:
admiral root wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Docking in highsec for criminals and enemy fw players is a joke. A joke that Rise supported. I guess I can see the reason why they have made this stance but it does break the internal consistency of the game. It would be like being a nightelf and sitting inside orgrimmar and being left alone because its a city and apparently the home defence only functions outside the walls of the city.

There's a lot more to it than that.

Actually, there's a lot less to it than that. The stations are owned by for-profit corporations who really don't give a damn who you are, they just want your isk.

The FW one is foobar though. They don't allow it in lowsec, but the space faeries make them allow it in high?

It's weird.

I guess that's a case of things are probably different at the Coke factory in Mogadishu (assuming it's still operational) being in a warzone than they are in one in the US. I don't do faction warfare so I can't really comment.

LOL I may steal that P
Black Pedro
Mine.
#104 - 2015-09-29 19:32:51 UTC
admiral root wrote:
If a pirate wants the benefit of operating in hisec without CONCORD interference they should be expected to use a POS and thus be just as at risk of wardecs as the player corps with a POS.

Risk comes from players, not mechanics, and as long as the vast majority of those in highsec are going to sit on their butts and scream impotently for Someone to do something(TM) I don't see why CCP should waste any more time on you whinebears. CODE. have had POSes up multiple times over the years and no-one has had the fortitude to come at us (even the people who had declared war on us at the time), so what makes you think this would magically change if we were driven out of stations in your crusade to nerf highsec into the ground?

This all sounds a lot like "if highsec was much safer, players would have time to accumulate enough isk to progress to PvP in lowsec and nullsec". Followed by "if carebears had this" and "if carebears had that". You have more than enough tools to deliver risk directly and indirectly to our pods - use them.

Yes, this is why I am not worried for organized criminal organizations like CODE. if docking restrictions were put in place. The mechanics are already extremely punitive for criminals in highsec - you just need to prevent a free-to-shoot -10 from warping and they will explode in a less than a minute - yet there have been only a handful of times anyone has tried an organized effort to stop me (outside of the usual freighter ganking vultures who themselves seem there more for killmail whoring than actual fights) from doing the Saviour's work. Organized criminals will be just fine, especially if they have an ecosystem of player-built citadels to use as bases. Highsec bears will in general not lift a finger to fight back: the vast majority of them are just there to endlessly grind resources and have no fortitude to actually shoot back, especially when it lowers their ISK/h. And if they do it is still a win, as it is just more content.

But such a system would hurt new players and lowsec pirates much more and is why CCP has not, and is not likely to ever make this change. It would be extremely harsh to lock a new player who doesn't fully understand the Crimewatch mechanics and pods a few people out from highsec. As the mechanics are they can join up with FW to get some pew-pew experience, and a few days later find themselves unable to get back to their stuff in highsec . Similarly, new player who decides to take up ganking would be unable to do so alone anymore. They would need to join an established criminal organization which will reduce the number of players choosing that career.

The bottom line is that suicide ganking is an intended mechanic. Criminals are suppose to exist, even in highsec. There are already enough NPC-enforced mechanics to jump through for outlaws, CCP is not going to add any more without a very compelling reason. In fact, from CCP Seagull's vision of a more player-driven universe, I expect we will start to see the pendulum finally start to swing back a bit and crime mechanics that stifle player-driven content, like the faction police (the Empires are losing control!), go away/get nerfed.
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#105 - 2015-09-29 19:42:41 UTC
So the whinebears get this latest nerf to highsec and the good guys fight back by tricking lots and lots of newbies into blowing their sec status. Suddenly, lowsec gets a whole load of fresh meat and maybe we prevent the next generation of highsec carebears.

Not that they ever make suggestions that blow up in their faces or anything.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#106 - 2015-09-29 19:49:56 UTC
admiral root wrote:

"Make bumping deal damage!" is my favorite one.

Sure, carebears, we can turn each and every Stabber in the game into a one shot super torpedo. That won't go badly for you at all.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#107 - 2015-09-29 20:02:55 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
admiral root wrote:

Sure, carebears, we can turn each and every Stabber in the game into a one shot super torpedo. That won't go badly for you at all.

They obviously only want the bumper to take damage because ... well... it hmmm... you see...

It's not like differentiating the aggressor between 2 ships colliding is gonna be hard right? RIGHT??
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#108 - 2015-09-29 20:09:11 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
admiral root wrote:

They obviously only want the bumper to take damage because ... well... it hmmm... you see...

It's not like differentiating the aggressor between 2 ships colliding is gonna be hard right? RIGHT??

"Realism only when it favors me."

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.