These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Vanguard] 350k added skillpoints for new characters!

First post
Author
Bernin
#121 - 2015-09-25 20:44:44 UTC
so in the end. ccp will give me 350k sp's?
since i already trained those. so the boost for the training pool is fair?

:D
Poranius Fisc
State War Academy
Caldari State
#122 - 2015-09-25 22:17:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Poranius Fisc
Dr Cedric wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Hi!

I was going to type out the full list of skills but you know what, you guys are pretty much better at everything than us and have already created an imgur album of the skill list so I'll just give you that!

Can't tell if Rise is butt-hurt by players doing some of the work or excited that he gets 20 extra minutes to drink some kind of Icelandic adult beverage!

I would have liked to see these SP given out in a more NPE kind of way, but I'm sure people appreciate it anyway.

/me walks away thinking...300k SP's wouldn't even take a day off the 45 day training time for Capital Ships V

We all loves and wants free skillpoints.

300k can definately go a long way.. remember when you created your toon to allocate those 50k?

Wouldn't it be easier (and satisfy the larger player base) to award to 300k to all characters and that same day change the base start? just saying.
Poranius Fisc
State War Academy
Caldari State
#123 - 2015-09-25 22:26:22 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Nice one.

It would be nice if you could influence your starting skill pack with some background choices during character creation, but this is still great.

That is how it was back when I first started in late 2007. My first character was going to be a miner. I had visions of having a huge mining empire. Then I tried mining and was like...ugghhh no. Back to the character creation process and go combat....later on, I did do another character with an industry focus to help make ISK.

BTW, I still have that first character and I know I did not train him for very long and he has around 880,000 SP. So starting SP were significantly higher back then.

I think it was even higher than 880k at one point...
Hemmo Paskiainen
#124 - 2015-09-26 01:12:50 UTC
So.... everyone starts as a Amarr pilot? Big smile

If relativity equals time plus momentum, what equals relativity, if the momentum is minus to the time?

Aaril
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#125 - 2015-09-26 01:19:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Aaril
I agree this is a good move by CCP, but...

Instead of giving a 2 week old character 300k SP, you should apply these skills to ALL characters in the game. If a character has already spent the time to train these, THEN apply unallocated SP up to the 300k to all characters. This is the fairest solution to both newbros and bitter vets.

While the 300k would be nice on my main, I have an alt right now that is not very old and is slogging through support skills, and I would love to have these already trained.
NaK'Lin
Seamen Force
#126 - 2015-09-26 04:29:46 UTC
Mag's wrote:
The only issue I see with this approach, is the giving of skills one may not want. Could you look to making focused skill set choices.
I.E. PvP focused, Trader focused, mining focused etc.

This from a perspective of someone who has industry and mining at one, with no intention on ever using them. But no choice as to their inclusion.

Starbuck05
Abiding Ormolus
#127 - 2015-09-26 08:50:03 UTC
Rough estimate in my head .. around a week , maybe abit less of training .

The skills you added are quite good , really makes life easier when making a new char .

Well done +1

Also side question , im gonna assume that if you start with a Caldari toon you will get missle support skills instead of gunnery skills ? cause in that list im seeing only gunnery support skiils while missles got squat ( knowing the toon was amarr race from the list )

Just because i am blond does not make me stoopid !

Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#128 - 2015-09-26 10:34:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Azda Ja
Nevermind, didn't notice part 2 of the album. RollLol.

Grrr.

Ernest Shakleton
Doomheim
#129 - 2015-09-26 11:27:16 UTC
Good idea CCP,

but why not apply this skillpoints to the career one has choosen. In the beginning nobody knows how to allocate the skillpoints correctly. This would give the newbies some idea how to proceed.
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#130 - 2015-09-26 11:29:26 UTC
It could help. I, for one think it needs to remain given to fresh characters and not older ones. Hate me for that or don't, but the point is to aid players that are new, not give a 350k point gift to everyone. My two isk.

That said, I'd rather see some more improvements geared towards NPE especially if it's not already planned or in process. After watching one of JonnyPew's vids walking through some NPE struggles, I was shocked to find out that it's got some glaring holes in design that's negatively impacts it's mission: to teach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XREA7cvj6OY

It's actually a really good look at some problem areas regarding particularly the Opportunities System being too vague of the instructions and as he demonstrates, a seasoned player will be able to walk through such a course of instructions fine, but a newer player will likely get held up on the constant lack of direction.

I made a comment about adding glowing or highlighting effects to areas of the UI to point them out more when giving players each step. Especially in events where players are told by Aura to do something, but then never given even a clue as to how to go about doing those things, something like highlighting UI elements would go miles.

I want to point out that this was an idea by another player some time ago and I can't quite remember that player's name, but I remember thinking that would be worth a shot at adding in. It suprises me that it hasn't. I wanted to bring that forward because it's likely that CCP Dev's just didn't see that. Any thoughts, guys? Dev's, is that possible with the current UI and NeoCom? I really think it would be a lot of help for the "day one" players. Maker knows they could use all the help we can give them.

Finally, big shout-outs to JonnyPew for the vids; Awesome stuffs, mang.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#131 - 2015-09-26 13:05:47 UTC
Ernest Shakleton wrote:
Good idea CCP,

but why not apply this skillpoints to the career one has choosen. In the beginning nobody knows how to allocate the skillpoints correctly. This would give the newbies some idea how to proceed.

Agreed, most new players already have a good idea before they start what would interest them and they'll train down that path anyway - but they won't know which skills are optimal to get a decent start.

Obviously it can't be done now because it's a lot of work but if they ever come back to this in the future it should be considered. If done right it could be a useful way of drawing new players into the game more and showing them some of the different playstyles in eve. I'd even say get the marketing team or whoever is responsible for the promo videos to make a brief promo video for each sub race showing a little bit about the history of that sub-race tied in with information about what play style they suit, and maybe some game play footage etc. So new players will learn a lot about eve from making that first decision, and it's more engaging than reading text on a wiki or tutorial.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#132 - 2015-09-26 13:50:02 UTC
Ernest Shakleton wrote:

How would you do that? I, for one, have run all career agents one after another so that I get a grasp of what's going on in EVE. I doubt that many newbies do not do exactly the same. On the other hand, you could probably ask them after they have completed all the tutorials which path they want to chose in EVE, lay down a basic skill plan curated by experienced players in that field and hand them the free SP.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Quisarious
Therapy
It's a Skill Issue.
#133 - 2015-09-26 14:23:06 UTC
can we give them cyno III too please ? )
Nox Shadow
Lumberjack Commandos
#134 - 2015-09-26 14:29:37 UTC
So I created this account on the 12th of September, which is apparently 3 days to old to get the free sp? Seems a little harsh, maybe make it for all accounts created in September?

Other then that seems like a good change.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#135 - 2015-09-26 21:51:36 UTC
Nox Shadow wrote:
So I created this account on the 12th of September, which is apparently 3 days to old to get the free sp? Seems a little harsh, maybe make it for all accounts created in September?

Other then that seems like a good change.

But what about the guy who created on august 31 at that point? Any place they draw the line will amke some people think it's bad because they are just a bast it...
Morgan Agrivar
Doomheim
#136 - 2015-09-27 03:12:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Morgan Agrivar
Wow.

Just wow.

All the bittervets have come out from the cracks and swarmed all over this. They are giving newbros some more skill points so they don't feel useless starting out. It isn't like they are handing out free Nightmares to newbros for subbing.

Some people are just overreacting. I am ok with them getting it and not having 300k sp added for me since I just passed 35m sp. Sheesh.

If you are getting worked up over this, please go visit a psychiatrist. You have issues.
Valarian Dumonte
Tactical Grace.
Vanguard.
#137 - 2015-09-27 05:52:33 UTC
Its like raising minimum wage. It really only benefits new bros. Oh well.

If it helps keep new players around then awesome.
Pic'n dor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#138 - 2015-09-27 08:10:56 UTC
Pic'n dor wrote:

Nice move for newbros

But can you remove all those skills that are comon for every characters from the npc market ?

Free plug them to every existing characters and then remove them from NPC. It will lighten the market windows and loading time for everyone.

Thx

Let me insist on that point please.

On the other hand, if we want to keep newbros around, there could be an incentive like 1M Free SP when the account goes subscribed and 1M SP after 6 month (with some retroactiv thingy for the emo rage out there)

COUCOU TOUCHE TOUCHE

Anthar Thebess
#139 - 2015-09-28 13:58:02 UTC
Good idea!
New players should start having even more skill points.
Can we get all characters <400k sp to have difference gifted to unallocated pool?

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#140 - 2015-09-28 14:34:28 UTC
Morgan Agrivar wrote:
Wow.

Just wow.

All the bittervets have come out from the cracks and swarmed all over this. They are giving newbros some more skill points so they don't feel useless starting out. It isn't like they are handing out free Nightmares to newbros for subbing.

Some people are just overreacting. I am ok with them getting it and not having 300k sp added for me since I just passed 35m sp. Sheesh.

If you are getting worked up over this, please go visit a psychiatrist. You have issues.

I have no problem with it,but do wonder how long it will be before people start 'requesting' that it should be more...