These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

All most interesting ideas for mining rewamp, in one place

Author
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2015-09-24 17:16:22 UTC
erg cz wrote:
Helios Panala wrote:

Greatly reducing the amount of belts in highsec would be interesting. Outright removing them is never going to happen though.

How exactly this will make mining more interactive? Push miners into low sec? They will not go there.

I think what they're pushing for is to move miners into deadspace pockets.

It's a nice idea, but all those fighting for it seem to mostly want the benefits:
1.) mining safety
2.) lowsec ores in highsec, or nullsec ores in lowsec
But I hear none fighting for where it can/will hurt botters:
1.) force miners to scan down pockets with probes
2.) progressive ore respawn throughout the day, so no scan once then let the bot run all day

I'd like to see more deadspace mining options exploring all of this, and I want to see those lower-space ores occurring only in sparse quantities in pockets that must be scanned, while auto-scan pockets should if anything have poorer ores than the belts.

================================================================

I was playing Starmade a few days back and it made me think back to Abrazzar's thread (Multi Ore, Multi Methods) which is linked in the OP. While I was aiming my mining beams across the surface of the asteroid, I was able to soak up minerals faster by actively searching around the asteroid with my eyes to look for mineral pockets and aim for them, or I could just eat up the asteroid and take everything along with the junk soil. The second option was certainly easier but the first option could potentially lead to much higher rates of income.

Now in Starmade you can just get a bigger mining ship, but in EVE Online there are limits to the size, so it could make a lot of sense to have a system like that. I must admit there was a significant amount of fun to be had simply aiming lasers and scooping ores. And part of that was because the asteroid broke apart before my very eyes, and I could watch as my beams carved deep scars into the asteroid and exposed lava within.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2015-09-24 17:25:44 UTC
erg cz wrote:
With current PLEX price development we will soon face increasing mineral prices due to tons of unsubscribed mining alts.

I need to make a separate point about this. It's unrelated to the current topic but it needs to be said because here is a perfect example of how most people fail to understand the basics of macroeconomics.

The PLEX price going up is not going to cause people to use fewer passive income alts. On the contrary, the price rises compared to passive income because there are comparatively more folks using and PLEXing passive income alts. In short, the price of PLEX compared to passive income is controlled by the price of passive income relative to other forms of income--when the margin over PLEX is more than worth the work involved in managing the alts, more will be made until it balances again.

If mineral prices go up relative to PLEX prices, you will see more mining alts--but ultimately it simply balances out.

The only other factor with any power to affect this is the spending power of the playerbase--how willing people are to buy PLEX with money versus how determined they are to fund it with ISK in-game. That's really the driving force for PLEX prices and everything else is at the whim of this one factor.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Ecrir Twy'Lar
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2015-09-24 18:13:09 UTC
erg cz wrote:
With current PLEX price development we will soon face increasing mineral prices due to tons of unsubscribed mining alts. It is time to let those, who stay, make mining more effective / rewarding through constant interaction. You still can AFK mine, but for less income. If you mine actively interacting with the game - you can get more in less time.

Apart from numerous simple (and stupid, IMHO) suggestions like buff yield of lazers, mining drones, ships or rorquals, I like those completely new approaches. They ensure more effective mining through pilot activity, not through plain "more m3 per hour cause I have bigger ship/laser"

Comet mining: fast movable mineable objects, that need to be scanned down, reqiure manually piloting to stay close and avoid toxic cloud

Mining probes and planet ring mining: probe down the proper place in planet ring, where you can mine, requires manually piloting to avoid collision with random moving piece of rock.

Multi Ore, Multi Methods: asteroids change during the process of mining it, requires manual adjusting of minig beam to ensure reasonable efficiency of mining laser, you can follow veins, etc

Not sure I want mining to be more engaging. If and when I choose to mine, I do it because I want something mindless to do in the game. lol If I want something more engaging, I will get out and do something more engaging. Which wouldn't be mining.
Boom Laison
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2015-09-25 07:33:01 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:

Dont change it.

This reaction is not so constructive as it could be, IMHO.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2015-09-25 20:07:19 UTC
Ecrir Twy'Lar wrote:
Not sure I want mining to be more engaging. If and when I choose to mine, I do it because I want something mindless to do in the game. lol If I want something more engaging, I will get out and do something more engaging. Which wouldn't be mining.

Abrazzar's suggestion (Multi Ore, Multi Methods) would ensure your playstyle is available while allowing players to opt for a greater amount of gameplay in order to receive a greater yield. You could still choose to set your Retriever or Mackinaw mining and go AFK, then come back for easy money.

Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2015-09-25 20:34:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Tiddle Jr
It's been talked a lot and i do cba to link here those threads, but it would be good to have some designated mining bc or t3 to run ore anoms. So basically it should combine bonuses for exploration and mining.

Also i wouldn't mind to have a separate Epic Arc storylines designated for miners only "trip to miners paradise" which supported by ORE and to be rewarded by ORE's faction mods or their bpc's.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#27 - 2015-09-26 02:54:56 UTC
I had a proposal for using PI materials like explosives etc to make mining more interactive. You could use a laser and ggo to sleep in your chair for X-low yield or you could do the highly man hoursbintensive version with explosives and chasing high grade areas and get Z-high yield. I should go dig that thread up.

Also gib third turret slot for prospect.
Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#28 - 2015-09-26 03:12:04 UTC
erg cz
Eye to Eye
Synergy of Steel
#29 - 2015-09-28 10:41:27 UTC
Ecrir Twy'Lar wrote:

Thats why all those suggestions are supposed to add something to current mining. You still can AFK mining in belt as before, but you will get less ore, than now. And anyone, who will use new interactive mining will get much more ore. High income from quickly depleting sources... Ideally you will not be able to increase your mining income using bots.
Boom Laison
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2015-09-30 07:57:31 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
I had a proposal for using PI materials like explosives etc to make mining more interactive. You could use a laser and ggo to sleep in your chair for X-low yield or you could do the highly man hoursbintensive version with explosives and chasing high grade areas and get Z-high yield. I should go dig that thread up.

Also gib third turret slot for prospect.

"Explosives" yes, ship buff no. Though I agree, that prospect capabilities are very poorly designed ...
Raphendyr Nardieu
Avanto
Hole Control
#31 - 2015-10-13 20:00:44 UTC
Sorry skipping most of the chat for now, but was looking up the other thread.

Check if there is anything to add to ones listed from here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=431265
Rosira
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#32 - 2015-10-15 14:03:18 UTC
Make grav sites need to be scanned down again. That any idiot in a interceptor can fly right in with no effort has been galling since they changed it.
erg cz
Eye to Eye
Synergy of Steel
#33 - 2015-10-22 09:02:23 UTC
Raphendyr Nardieu wrote:
Sorry skipping most of the chat for now, but was looking up the other thread.

Check if there is anything to add to ones listed from here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=431265

Asteroid drift - yes, but it is part of already listed suggestions. Better ships / lasers - no, as it is not making mining more interactive, it just make it more rewarding.
Boom Laison
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2015-10-23 11:37:33 UTC
Rosira wrote:
Make grav sites need to be scanned down again. That any idiot in a interceptor can fly right in with no effort has been galling since they changed it.

Well, actually not only gravity sides. I do not get why we have to see all those anomalies straight away...
erg cz
Eye to Eye
Synergy of Steel
#35 - 2015-10-26 12:18:55 UTC
I would still suggest to leave it aas it is. Visible for every one. Just make it not so profitable like the comet or belt mining. Both comet and belt mining require scaning.
Boom Laison
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2015-10-27 10:02:37 UTC
Ok.
erg cz
Eye to Eye
Synergy of Steel
#37 - 2015-11-05 14:58:59 UTC
Added "New Module -- Mining Laser Optimization" suggestion to the list.
erg cz
Eye to Eye
Synergy of Steel
#38 - 2015-11-12 16:40:35 UTC
Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#39 - 2015-11-13 10:52:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Xe'Cara'eos
whatever else I will say this - the new mining methods should be open to being done in at least 1 mining barge, and at least 1 exhumer.... otherwise you've made those skills worthless.....

Also - the barges also have their roles, which seem to work, methinks, (though solo mining seems to be equating to AFK mining....)

one suggestion that might help - strip the ret/mack of a turret slot, give it to the proc/skiff, forcing the 'solo' miner to run through rocks quickly, meaning he has to come back to his desk often.
I will make a thread for this, and link it.....

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6164829#post6164829

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.

erg cz
Eye to Eye
Synergy of Steel
#40 - 2015-11-13 15:50:05 UTC
Xe'Cara'eos wrote:
whatever else I will say this - the new mining methods should be open to being done in at least 1 mining barge, and at least 1 exhumer.... otherwise you've made those skills worthless.....

I am not sure if listed suggestions would make any skill worthless. Ship, specialized on ring, comet or asteroid vein mining can utilise those skills just as well.