These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Would it be possible for CCP to make Eve Online free to play?

First post
Author
Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#281 - 2015-09-10 08:29:48 UTC
Verstal wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:
if eve went f2p i would quit, so would my alts which pay subscriptions and i also buy plex for real money. so what is more important, players who stay in the game long term or people like your friends who will play for a few months and move onto some other flavour of the month f2p mmo?


So you are saying that a system that has changed a lot over 12 years on how accounts are managed that if it changes in anyway you are going to quit?

You are saying that no system that someone can express in words that could allow new player more time to fall in love with the game is not possible?

I have no ego about the ideas I wrote down I come up a ton of bad ideas all the time.

Are you telling me that you cant think of one thing that could help new players not run away from Eve like its a burning building?

Not one idea. At least try if not go help someone with your knowledge in Rookie Chat, take a new player under your wing, be a good human help your fellow man in a video game or better yet go do it in the real world.


I play eve because i like the fact it roots out the stereotypical players who play free to play games, the people who dont want to pay for a game so they dont take it seriously, if it went f2p it would attract the type of people i do not like in the gaming world. subscription model games are for serious gamers, f2p are fisher-price gamers.

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#282 - 2015-09-10 08:34:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Verstal wrote:
I go into great detail how I softened my stance, and why. If you have constructive feedback and how to keep more the .1% of new player past 3 months then lets hear it or break down each idea on the front page and give an alternative.

That's easy: change nothing.

One the other hand, something that's bound to create the level of retention you're envisioning there is to implment all the things you've suggested and completely break the game to the point where it will soon shut down. None of your ideas actually address any kind of problem with the game, and they most certainly do not address the issue of the topic — they're just random bits of industry buzzword thrown out with any understanding of purpose and intent. Hell, you haven't even managed to articulate what benefits the original idea was supposed to bring.

The entire OP can now be answered in a single question: why?!

Quote:
The topic is -- Would it be possible for CCP to make Eve free to play?
This has been answered in full: no. The game is not designed to allow for it and doing so would break the game on a fundamental level. Actual game designers have looked into this; the EVE devs have looked into it; everyone with any kind of insight into the game, its audience, and the gameplay it is trying to provide has looked into this. The answer from all of them is no. The two are not compatible even on a conceptual level, and with the game as it has been developed, they are wholly incompatible on a practical level too.

Your unfamiliarity with the game and your absolute refusal to actually discuss the many many many points in opposition to your half-baked and uninformed ideas only serve to demonstrate that you are not anywhere close to being in a position to actually have a constructive discussion on the topic of EVE development, much less on EVE customer retention.
Verstal
Incredibuilders United
#283 - 2015-09-10 08:43:18 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Verstal wrote:


Open rookie chat and help some new players learn the game? Give it an hour. People that want to learn that are trying to learn are in the process of learning right now. I am sure 1000+ people in rookie chat.



you seem to have a very limited understanding of EVE and what has happened in the last few years.
this is a worry to hear you are helping new people and perhaps this is one of the reasons new bros are not sticking.
i know if i was new and i happened to be lucky enough to get help from someone like you who has this attitude that you have the answers to everything and refuse point blank to answer simple questions about statements you've made claiming all sorts of nonsense. i'm sure it wouldn't be long before i'd be thinking people in this game are full of shite.
rookie help channel should be moderated in some way. perhaps CCP should vet the vets that want to help and give them a different colour name in the channel letting rookies know this guy has been approved to help me.
you wanted constructive feed back. there ya go Roll

from what i've seen here so far, you should not be helping anyone. you could do with some help yourself.




You could say that its my turn to give back to the community. I appreciate your thoughts and contribution to this thread.
Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#284 - 2015-09-10 08:45:36 UTC
you are not giving back to the community you are trying to attract a playerbase which is clearly not suitable for this game

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Captain Awkward
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#285 - 2015-09-10 08:46:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Awkward
Verstal wrote:
Captain Awkward wrote:
stuff

Its closer to 26 years I started pretty young. :-) I am sure you helped a lot of people today learn Eve so they will get excited about making the commitment to sending a few dollars to CCP so that the servers and sandbox will open to all for another 10 years. If not, please do your part and go help someone.

The topic is -- Would it be possible for CCP to make Eve free to play?

Have you contributed any ideas, I cant remember.



Wow. 26 years and your still more naive than I was on my first day.

Have I help new players into this game? Well I intruduced firends to EvE. And contrary to your game designer friends, they are still playing and paying to this day.

Your topic is a question. The question has bin answered multiple times. The answer was NO. So unless you ask a question and ignore all answers that are not the answer you wanted to hear, this thread can be closed now.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#286 - 2015-09-10 08:48:48 UTC
Verstal wrote:


You could say that its my turn to give back to the community. I appreciate your thoughts and contribution to this thread.


Are you doing the same with every other response you're getting?

so far i'm seeing a huge NO (for very good reason) to your question.

free to play = NO!

take it on the chin and move along.
Verstal
Incredibuilders United
#287 - 2015-09-10 08:48:55 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
Verstal wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:
if eve went f2p i would quit, so would my alts which pay subscriptions and i also buy plex for real money. so what is more important, players who stay in the game long term or people like your friends who will play for a few months and move onto some other flavour of the month f2p mmo?


So you are saying that a system that has changed a lot over 12 years on how accounts are managed that if it changes in anyway you are going to quit?

You are saying that no system that someone can express in words that could allow new player more time to fall in love with the game is not possible?

I have no ego about the ideas I wrote down I come up a ton of bad ideas all the time.

Are you telling me that you cant think of one thing that could help new players not run away from Eve like its a burning building?

Not one idea. At least try if not go help someone with your knowledge in Rookie Chat, take a new player under your wing, be a good human help your fellow man in a video game or better yet go do it in the real world.


I play eve because i like the fact it roots out the stereotypical players who play free to play games, the people who dont want to pay for a game so they dont take it seriously, if it went f2p it would attract the type of people i do not like in the gaming world. subscription model games are for serious gamers, f2p are fisher-price gamers.


Yes I like that about Eve as well the brutality was my favorite part for years, do you think Eve is getting enough new players?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#288 - 2015-09-10 08:51:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Verstal wrote:
Yes I like that about Eve as well the brutality was my favorite part for years, do you think Eve is getting enough new players?

Perhaps not, but F2P is not the answer to that regardless. There are never “enough” players to replace an existing customer base. Trying to do so only ever has one outcome: the game has to shut down.

If you're going to feign industry experience, you should at least take the time to learn this simple fact first.
Verstal
Incredibuilders United
#289 - 2015-09-10 08:51:52 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Verstal wrote:


You could say that its my turn to give back to the community. I appreciate your thoughts and contribution to this thread.


Are you doing the same with every other response you're getting?

so far i'm seeing a huge NO (for very good reason) to your question.

free to play = NO!

take it on the chin and move along.


I am sorry sir I dont understand and lost the concept your are trying to express that can help new players learn Eve.
Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#290 - 2015-09-10 08:52:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Lan Wang
Verstal wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:
Verstal wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:
if eve went f2p i would quit, so would my alts which pay subscriptions and i also buy plex for real money. so what is more important, players who stay in the game long term or people like your friends who will play for a few months and move onto some other flavour of the month f2p mmo?


So you are saying that a system that has changed a lot over 12 years on how accounts are managed that if it changes in anyway you are going to quit?

You are saying that no system that someone can express in words that could allow new player more time to fall in love with the game is not possible?

I have no ego about the ideas I wrote down I come up a ton of bad ideas all the time.

Are you telling me that you cant think of one thing that could help new players not run away from Eve like its a burning building?

Not one idea. At least try if not go help someone with your knowledge in Rookie Chat, take a new player under your wing, be a good human help your fellow man in a video game or better yet go do it in the real world.


I play eve because i like the fact it roots out the stereotypical players who play free to play games, the people who dont want to pay for a game so they dont take it seriously, if it went f2p it would attract the type of people i do not like in the gaming world. subscription model games are for serious gamers, f2p are fisher-price gamers.


Yes I like that about Eve as well the brutality was my favorite part for years, do you think Eve is getting enough new players?


new players? do i really care if the game is getting enough new players, no i dont because i leave my work at 5pm where i have worked for 8 hours to get my company new customers so id rather drop rattlesnakes on some poor cruiser fleet than worry if ccp marketing department are doing their job properly.

so as long as i have daily targets to shoot at i couldnt really care because i pay a subscription to have fun not run a 2nd job for free

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Verstal
Incredibuilders United
#291 - 2015-09-10 08:57:29 UTC
Captain Awkward wrote:
Verstal wrote:
Captain Awkward wrote:
stuff

Its closer to 26 years I started pretty young. :-) I am sure you helped a lot of people today learn Eve so they will get excited about making the commitment to sending a few dollars to CCP so that the servers and sandbox will open to all for another 10 years. If not, please do your part and go help someone.

The topic is -- Would it be possible for CCP to make Eve free to play?

Have you contributed any ideas, I cant remember.



Wow. 26 years and your still more naive than I was on my first day.

Have I help new players into this game? Well I intruduced firends to EvE. And contrary to your game designer friends, they are still playing and paying to this day.

Your topic is a question. The question has bin answered multiple times. The answer was NO. So unless you ask a question and ignore all answers that are not the answer you wanted to hear, this thread can be closed now.


I have to look at who is contributing to thread and judge what is motivating the response to it.

I am finding the discussion very interesting myself, and really amazed at how many people want to help the community.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#292 - 2015-09-10 08:59:17 UTC
Verstal wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Verstal wrote:


You could say that its my turn to give back to the community. I appreciate your thoughts and contribution to this thread.


Are you doing the same with every other response you're getting?

so far i'm seeing a huge NO (for very good reason) to your question.

free to play = NO!

take it on the chin and move along.


I am sorry sir I dont understand and lost the concept your are trying to express that can help new players learn Eve.



what part of NO to free to play do you not understand? ffsRoll

Verstal
Incredibuilders United
#293 - 2015-09-10 09:06:40 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
Verstal wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:
Verstal wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:
if eve went f2p i would quit, so would my alts which pay subscriptions and i also buy plex for real money. so what is more important, players who stay in the game long term or people like your friends who will play for a few months and move onto some other flavour of the month f2p mmo?


So you are saying that a system that has changed a lot over 12 years on how accounts are managed that if it changes in anyway you are going to quit?

You are saying that no system that someone can express in words that could allow new player more time to fall in love with the game is not possible?

I have no ego about the ideas I wrote down I come up a ton of bad ideas all the time.

Are you telling me that you cant think of one thing that could help new players not run away from Eve like its a burning building?

Not one idea. At least try if not go help someone with your knowledge in Rookie Chat, take a new player under your wing, be a good human help your fellow man in a video game or better yet go do it in the real world.


I play eve because i like the fact it roots out the stereotypical players who play free to play games, the people who dont want to pay for a game so they dont take it seriously, if it went f2p it would attract the type of people i do not like in the gaming world. subscription model games are for serious gamers, f2p are fisher-price gamers.


Yes I like that about Eve as well the brutality was my favorite part for years, do you think Eve is getting enough new players?


new players? do i really care if the game is getting enough new players, no i dont because i leave my work at 5pm where i have worked for 8 hours to get my company new customers so id rather drop rattlesnakes on some poor cruiser fleet than worry if ccp marketing department are doing their job properly.

so as long as i have daily targets to shoot at i couldnt really care because i pay a subscription to have fun not run a 2nd job for free


I understand man I work 10-16 hours a day for months at a time so do a lot of game devs, and CCP fired the Marketing people in SF office a while ago. So don't worry about I am putting this effort in so you have people to shoot for a few more years.
Luscius Uta
#294 - 2015-09-10 09:06:42 UTC
Few years ago, I would dismiss OP's ideas as silly and for reasons already described in this thread. But today I see ever-increasing PLEX prices and numbers of active players steadily falling (I am also rather convinced that the number of subscribed accounts hasn't been so low ever since I started playing in 2011, but CCP is no longer willing to give us that information, and after they fired their Ph.D. economist we know less about their business results than ever) and it makes me wary about the future of the game. While I'm still hoping that EVE won't die, some changes are necessary (and I don't mean things that Fozzie is usually responsible for, since most new players don't care about sov or rebalancing changes).

Hopefully most people here will agree with me on these two points:
1) EVE needs new players desperately or it will face a slow death.
2) Subscription-model MMORPGs are outdated and won't attract new audiences.

Therefore it seems necessary for CCP to change subscription model. Turning EVE into a F2P may have its disadvantages, but most of them should have a way to remedy them. Allowing only one F2P account per player, changing trial accounts so their subscription never runs out or giving some limits to F2P accounts (for example, capping their SP/hour to 1800 or less) are some of the ways that could be worth considering.
But I would be satisfied if CCP would just lower subscription and PLEX prices (which is unlikely since with rising PLEX prices, more people are likely to use their credit card to pay their sub instead of their hard-earned ISK). However, if nothing of the above happens, I give EVE maybe 3 more years before CCP decides to shut down TQ for good.

Workarounds are not bugfixes.

Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#295 - 2015-09-10 09:20:26 UTC
Luscius Uta wrote:
Few years ago, I would dismiss OP's ideas as silly and for reasons already described in this thread. But today I see ever-increasing PLEX prices and numbers of active players steadily falling (I am also rather convinced that the number of subscribed accounts hasn't been so low ever since I started playing in 2011, but CCP is no longer willing to give us that information, and after they fired their Ph.D. economist we know less about their business results than ever) and it makes me wary about the future of the game. While I'm still hoping that EVE won't die, some changes are necessary (and I don't mean things that Fozzie is usually responsible for, since most new players don't care about sov or rebalancing changes).

Hopefully most people here will agree with me on these two points:
1) EVE needs new players desperately or it will face a slow death.
2) Subscription-model MMORPGs are outdated and won't attract new audiences.

Therefore it seems necessary for CCP to change subscription model. Turning EVE into a F2P may have its disadvantages, but most of them should have a way to remedy them. Allowing only one F2P account per player, changing trial accounts so their subscription never runs out or giving some limits to F2P accounts (for example, capping their SP/hour to 1800 or less) are some of the ways that could be worth considering.
But I would be satisfied if CCP would just lower subscription and PLEX prices (which is unlikely since with rising PLEX prices, more people are likely to use their credit card to pay their sub instead of their hard-earned ISK). However, if nothing of the above happens, I give EVE maybe 3 more years before CCP decides to shut down TQ for good.


again what is more important, people who happily pay subscriptions for themselves and dozens of alts and have been playing for years or the people who just cry because they cant afford 9.99 and want everything for free and really only stay in the game for a month because they cant make enough to buy a plex? seriously are you complaining about 9.99 a month? a pint in the pub now costs more than that.

lower subscription costs = not enough money going to ccp, meaning lack of support, features etc etc the list goes on, go f2p and you will lose most of the current playerbase and have to find constant scrubs who will play for maybe 2 months then go somewhere else, yay you killed eve because you are a scrub

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#296 - 2015-09-10 09:21:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Luscius Uta wrote:
Therefore it seems necessary for CCP to change subscription model. Turning EVE into a F2P may have its disadvantages, but most of them should have a way to remedy them.
They really don't, short of redesigning the entire game from the ground up — i.e. by creating a completely new game.

There would have to be an entirely new way of making more people pay more money than they do now, and it would have to be done in a way that doesn't in any way affect the competitiveness of the individual. You'd also have to create a game where N+1 > N is no longer true. Restricting the number of accounts is a foolish idea because it's simply not technically feasible and would only serve to restrict the ways in which the N crowd can overcome the N+1 one.

The monetisation scheme of a game is an integral part of its design. You cannot change it without fundamentally change how the game is played. To make EVE F2P, you have to make not-EVE and hope that it will attract the same customers (and more), when there is absolutely nothing to even suggest that it would attract either of those two groups… and we haven't even gotten to the far more crucial problem of actually retaining this fantasy customer base.
Verstal
Incredibuilders United
#297 - 2015-09-10 09:26:49 UTC
Luscius Uta wrote:
Few years ago, I would dismiss OP's ideas as silly and for reasons already described in this thread. But today I see ever-increasing PLEX prices and numbers of active players steadily falling (I am also rather convinced that the number of subscribed accounts hasn't been so low ever since I started playing in 2011, but CCP is no longer willing to give us that information, and after they fired their Ph.D. economist we know less about their business results than ever) and it makes me wary about the future of the game. While I'm still hoping that EVE won't die, some changes are necessary (and I don't mean things that Fozzie is usually responsible for, since most new players don't care about sov or rebalancing changes).

Hopefully most people here will agree with me on these two points:
1) EVE needs new players desperately or it will face a slow death.
2) Subscription-model MMORPGs are outdated and won't attract new audiences.

Therefore it seems necessary for CCP to change subscription model. Turning EVE into a F2P may have its disadvantages, but most of them should have a way to remedy them. Allowing only one F2P account per player, changing trial accounts so their subscription never runs out or giving some limits to F2P accounts (for example, capping their SP/hour to 1800 or less) are some of the ways that could be worth considering.
But I would be satisfied if CCP would just lower subscription and PLEX prices (which is unlikely since with rising PLEX prices, more people are likely to use their credit card to pay their sub instead of their hard-earned ISK). However, if nothing of the above happens, I give EVE maybe 3 more years before CCP decides to shut down TQ for good.


I agree on both points!

I don't think CCP has 3 years, they borrowed money payed it back and went dark, the new products which cannibalize Eve wont make money they will maybe if they are lucky get someone excited enough to buy them. They make about 12-13 mil a year in profit which isn't enough to keep the staff they have or grow at all.

I have stated this a few different times but the WOD 100m disaster left CCP at 10% Hull 0% Armor they are on fire, and this fire is pretty because its driven by new tech that everyone turns off because they zoom the ships out as soon as they can to avoid getting motion sickness from every gate jump with no option to speed it up or slow it down or turn it off.

Yes CCP they understand human perceptions to the point that the golden path to a VR Facebook buyout is all but certain.

I wish CCP was doing a better job I really do but I know better.

Real question is if the large Swiss banking firm will loan CCP money if they do try to go to a free to play models since they have been using sub money to stock the shelves with content have been for years.

I am trying to help CCP survive even themselves, I love Eve that much, I really do.
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#298 - 2015-09-10 09:29:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
Lan Wang wrote:
if eve went f2p i would quit, so would my alts which pay subscriptions and i also buy plex for real money. so what is more important, players who stay in the game long term or people like your friends who will play for a few months and move onto some other flavour of the month f2p mmo?
Don't worry, CCP already said some years back that it wouldn't be possible for EVE. It's not technically possible and would have had to be done pre-launch by design. I completely agree with them, it's not possible by the design architecture of EVE, and there is no magic wand to do such a thing w/o destroying the game as it is; what makes EVE, EVE.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#299 - 2015-09-10 09:35:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Lan Wang
Verstal wrote:
Luscius Uta wrote:
Few years ago, I would dismiss OP's ideas as silly and for reasons already described in this thread. But today I see ever-increasing PLEX prices and numbers of active players steadily falling (I am also rather convinced that the number of subscribed accounts hasn't been so low ever since I started playing in 2011, but CCP is no longer willing to give us that information, and after they fired their Ph.D. economist we know less about their business results than ever) and it makes me wary about the future of the game. While I'm still hoping that EVE won't die, some changes are necessary (and I don't mean things that Fozzie is usually responsible for, since most new players don't care about sov or rebalancing changes).

Hopefully most people here will agree with me on these two points:
1) EVE needs new players desperately or it will face a slow death.
2) Subscription-model MMORPGs are outdated and won't attract new audiences.

Therefore it seems necessary for CCP to change subscription model. Turning EVE into a F2P may have its disadvantages, but most of them should have a way to remedy them. Allowing only one F2P account per player, changing trial accounts so their subscription never runs out or giving some limits to F2P accounts (for example, capping their SP/hour to 1800 or less) are some of the ways that could be worth considering.
But I would be satisfied if CCP would just lower subscription and PLEX prices (which is unlikely since with rising PLEX prices, more people are likely to use their credit card to pay their sub instead of their hard-earned ISK). However, if nothing of the above happens, I give EVE maybe 3 more years before CCP decides to shut down TQ for good.


I agree on both points!

I don't think CCP has 3 years, they borrowed money payed it back and went dark, the new products which cannibalize Eve wont make money they will maybe if they are lucky get someone excited enough to buy them. They make about 12-13 mil a year in profit which isn't enough to keep the staff they have or grow at all.

I have stated this a few different times but the WOD 100m disaster left CCP at 10% Hull 0% Armor they are on fire, and this fire is pretty because its driven by new tech that everyone turns off because they zoom the ships out as soon as they can to avoid getting motion sickness from every gate jump with no option to speed it up or slow it down or turn it off.

Yes CCP they understand human perceptions to the point that the golden path to a VR Facebook buyout is all but certain.

I wish CCP was doing a better job I really do but I know better.

Real question is if the large Swiss banking firm will loan CCP money if they do try to go to a free to play models since they have been using sub money to stock the shelves with content have been for years.

I am trying to help CCP survive even themselves, I love Eve that much, I really do.


seems you just pulled these numbers out your head in a last ditch hope to project "eve is dying"

http://marketsforisk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ccp-financial-statements-for-2014-review.html

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Raffael Ramirez
Alcohol Fuelled
#300 - 2015-09-10 09:35:45 UTC
Verstal wrote:
Luscius Uta wrote:
Few years ago, I would dismiss OP's ideas as silly and for reasons already described in this thread. But today I see ever-increasing PLEX prices and numbers of active players steadily falling (I am also rather convinced that the number of subscribed accounts hasn't been so low ever since I started playing in 2011, but CCP is no longer willing to give us that information, and after they fired their Ph.D. economist we know less about their business results than ever) and it makes me wary about the future of the game. While I'm still hoping that EVE won't die, some changes are necessary (and I don't mean things that Fozzie is usually responsible for, since most new players don't care about sov or rebalancing changes).

Hopefully most people here will agree with me on these two points:
1) EVE needs new players desperately or it will face a slow death.
2) Subscription-model MMORPGs are outdated and won't attract new audiences.

Therefore it seems necessary for CCP to change subscription model. Turning EVE into a F2P may have its disadvantages, but most of them should have a way to remedy them. Allowing only one F2P account per player, changing trial accounts so their subscription never runs out or giving some limits to F2P accounts (for example, capping their SP/hour to 1800 or less) are some of the ways that could be worth considering.
But I would be satisfied if CCP would just lower subscription and PLEX prices (which is unlikely since with rising PLEX prices, more people are likely to use their credit card to pay their sub instead of their hard-earned ISK). However, if nothing of the above happens, I give EVE maybe 3 more years before CCP decides to shut down TQ for good.


I agree on both points!

I don't think CCP has 3 years, they borrowed money payed it back and went dark, the new products which cannibalize Eve wont make money they will maybe if they are lucky get someone excited enough to buy them. They make about 12-13 mil a year in profit which isn't enough to keep the staff they have or grow at all.

I have stated this a few different times but the WOD 100m disaster left CCP at 10% Hull 0% Armor they are on fire, and this fire is pretty because its driven by new tech that everyone turns off because they zoom the ships out as soon as they can to avoid getting motion sickness from every gate jump with no option to speed it up or slow it down or turn it off.

Yes CCP they understand human perceptions to the point that the golden path to a VR Facebook buyout is all but certain.

I wish CCP was doing a better job I really do but I know better.

Real question is if the large Swiss banking firm will loan CCP money if they do try to go to a free to play models since they have been using sub money to stock the shelves with content have been for years.

I am trying to help CCP survive even themselves, I love Eve that much, I really do.


I really hope you are not having a conversation with your alt here.

Also - if you love EvE as you say , why do you want to break it and alienate the complete player base?
Remember when they burned Jita ? That's because they care and do not want this game to go down the free to play , pay to win path (and other issues). I would quit my subscription and recycle my characters to make a point if if would come to EVE F2P.

If things are as you say ,doomsday around the corner (which I do not really believe). Then I would gladly wait for EVE II and prefer to not violate a lady like EVE in her final days.