These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

How do Corps in Eve Usually work ?

Author
Avvy
Doomheim
#41 - 2015-09-04 08:05:15 UTC
Lulu Lunette wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Hans Riesel wrote:

This will only catch the absolute worst type of spy. The way you catch spies is with IT and just by watching their behavior, not APIs.

API checks and do a lot to keep out: thieves, spies, and drama queens. If you don't think so then you just are not using them well. Either that or you are one of the: thieves, spies, or drama queens trying to convince other people not to check APIs.

hers a little trick our security guy told me a while back.

Did you know that award and medals show on the api regardless of if they are set to public or not?
this means that directors can actually tattoo "thief" or "****ing drama queen" onto someone and anyone can see this on the apiBlink


A quick google search would accomplish what your API does. Good spies still get through. The 99% of spies you guys talk about would be caught with just Eve-Search, Pirate's Little Helper, Eve Who, zkill.


So are you saying those that use API are just being lazy?

Avvy
Doomheim
#42 - 2015-09-04 08:07:20 UTC
Hans Riesel wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Hans Riesel wrote:

This will only catch the absolute worst type of spy. The way you catch spies is with IT and just by watching their behavior, not APIs.

API checks and do a lot to keep out: thieves, spies, and drama queens. If you don't think so then you just are not using them well. Either that or you are one of the: thieves, spies, or drama queens trying to convince other people not to check APIs.



I have checked APIs for years. In all of my time I have found ONE instance that led to an applicant being rejected, and I go through everything, I can spend an entire day checking someones api. A good spy will ALWAYS slip through because there is 0 trace that is detectable with an API, only an idiot would spend so much time making a spy character to stupidly burn it with a wallet transaction.

Every time my alliance has found a spy, it has been because of their behavior or because of the forums catching them.


This actually makes sense, considering how long it takes to learn skills in this game.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2015-09-04 08:17:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Lan Wang
api's are also good to show what you can actually do and some corps make some pretty cool websites which use api's to show stats for pretty much everything, fleet-up can use apis to show fc's and other members who can fly whatever doctrine.

you tell corp you can fly capitals, api will show if you can and if you actually have one available. i personally see no issue with giving out my api, a corp can troll my mails, see how much isk i dont have and they can drool over my assets list if they wish :)

But if you dont want to give api then dont expect to get on comms, most corp sites have validation now which require api to grant access to teamspeak etc

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Avvy
Doomheim
#44 - 2015-09-04 08:39:40 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
api's are also good to show what you can actually do and some corps make some pretty cool websites which use api's to show stats for pretty much everything, fleet-up can use apis to show fc's and other members who can fly whatever doctrine.

you tell corp you can fly capitals, api will show if you can and if you actually have one available. i personally see no issue with giving out my api, a corp can troll my mails, see how much isk i dont have and they can drool over my assets list if they wish :)

But if you dont want to give api then dont expect to get on comms, most corp sites have validation now which require api to grant access to teamspeak etc



You showed me one of those sites.

I made a mental note of the warning, about if you suspect that someone is using your API...

The fact that someone else can use your API is a slight concern.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2015-09-04 08:46:44 UTC
they cant use your api for anything which interferes with your actual account, its like a potential employer looking at your facebook page, because, you know everyone posts there whole life on facebook

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Avvy
Doomheim
#46 - 2015-09-04 08:50:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Avvy
Lan Wang wrote:
they cant use your api for anything which interferes with your actual account, its like a potential employer looking at your facebook page, because, you know everyone posts there whole life on facebook


I wouldn't know about that, I don't use facebook.

Although the warning did say use, I took that to mean more than just look at.


Edit:

I actually know someone that said something on facebook and actually got into trouble for it with their employer so you also need to be careful what you say on it and who you have as friends on the account. That's one reason I'd never use facebook. Plus I've seen some of the kinds of drivel some people put on them as your friends can show their friends.
Scarlett Stolas
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#47 - 2015-09-04 09:01:55 UTC
The API just lets people with the key and id view some details about your characters. No one can make any changes to your account with it so I wouldn't worry, that warning is probably only there to cover someones arse.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#48 - 2015-09-04 10:35:37 UTC
Hans Riesel wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Hans Riesel wrote:

This will only catch the absolute worst type of spy. The way you catch spies is with IT and just by watching their behavior, not APIs.

API checks and do a lot to keep out: thieves, spies, and drama queens. If you don't think so then you just are not using them well. Either that or you are one of the: thieves, spies, or drama queens trying to convince other people not to check APIs.



I have checked APIs for years. In all of my time I have found ONE instance that led to an applicant being rejected, and I go through everything, I can spend an entire day checking someones api. A good spy will ALWAYS slip through because there is 0 trace that is detectable with an API, only an idiot would spend so much time making a spy character to stupidly burn it with a wallet transaction.

Every time my alliance has found a spy, it has been because of their behavior or because of the forums catching them.

you guys keep leaving out all of the characters that don't even bother applying to corps that do API checks. Back in the day there was a device called "The Club" and it attached to your stearing wheel to prevent theft. Some guy made a press release that they were useless and showed how you could hacksaw through the stearing wheel in 30 seconds.

The funny thing is though that cars that had the club almost never got stolen. Cases of it happening were virtually non-existent. So what the insurance companies said was the deal is that a car thief is typically in and driving away with your car in about 17 seconds. That 30 extra second to saw the steering wheel would triple the time it takes him to steal the car thus tripling his chances of getting caught. Just because you can figure a way around something does not make it useless.

Now could all of you people saying that API checks are worless (who can clearly be proven incorrect) stop trying to derail the OP's thread and get back to his original question or start your own post?

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#49 - 2015-09-04 11:47:58 UTC
Just because I can force your door open doesn't mean locking the damn thing is stupid.

Api checking is a good thing,
not the best thing but good regardless and its absence is quite frankly akin to leaving your front door open.

Though one thing is obvious from this thread (as I said in comment #4) plenty of fail Corps willing to let anyone in without checking the most obvious things.

Op should avoid these corps unless it's with the intention to shinaniganise said Corp.
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#50 - 2015-09-04 11:58:15 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Just because I can force your door open doesn't mean locking the damn thing is stupid.

Api checking is a good thing,
not the best thing but good regardless and its absence is quite frankly akin to leaving your front door open.

Though one thing is obvious from this thread (as I said in comment #4) plenty of fail Corps willing to let anyone in without checking the most obvious things.

Op should avoid these corps unless it's with the intention to shinaniganise said Corp.


I never said it was useless but saying that he should avoid a corp that don't do api checks is not right either.

API keys go hand in hand with serious gameplay. People that fly expensive ships, or corp's that have to share pos hangars in a wormhole, of course they are gonna need an API.

Not all of them are so serious and it would be a waste of time tbh.

@lunettelulu7

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#51 - 2015-09-04 12:18:25 UTC
Lulu Lunette wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Just because I can force your door open doesn't mean locking the damn thing is stupid.

Api checking is a good thing,
not the best thing but good regardless and its absence is quite frankly akin to leaving your front door open.

Though one thing is obvious from this thread (as I said in comment #4) plenty of fail Corps willing to let anyone in without checking the most obvious things.

Op should avoid these corps unless it's with the intention to shinaniganise said Corp.


I never said it was useless but saying that he should avoid a corp that don't do api checks is not right either.

API keys go hand in hand with serious gameplay. People that fly expensive ships, or corp's that have to share pos hangars in a wormhole, of course they are gonna need an API.

Not all of them are so serious and it would be a waste of time tbh.

Oh you can certainly make the considered decision to ignore this advice,
feel free by all means but it would be disingenuous of me to advise anything other than avoiding a Corp that doesn't even do the minimum amount of screening as I would have massive reservations about joining such a Corp myself.

I value my assets, I worked for them and as such they are valuable to me.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2015-09-04 12:26:42 UTC
if a corp cant be bothered to check the safety of the rest of the corp would they bother to help if you got in a bit of trouble?

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Avvy
Doomheim
#53 - 2015-09-04 12:32:15 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:


I value my assets, I worked for them and as such they are valuable to me.


But can't you just keep your assets in your hanger, you don't have to put them in a corp hanger surely.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2015-09-04 12:40:02 UTC
Avvy wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:


I value my assets, I worked for them and as such they are valuable to me.


But can't you just keep your assets in your hanger, you don't have to put them in a corp hanger surely.


corp thiefs have some pretty creative ways to screw corps over

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#55 - 2015-09-04 12:45:20 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
Avvy wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:


I value my assets, I worked for them and as such they are valuable to me.


But can't you just keep your assets in your hanger, you don't have to put them in a corp hanger surely.


corp thiefs have some pretty creative ways to screw corps over

Not just thieves, think about wars, how easy it would be to maul a Corp if you had an alt in it and knew where everyone was , what they're doing and flying where their poses are,

never mind if you manage to get some roles in the Corp.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2015-09-04 12:47:27 UTC
yup and the fact you got into the corp undetected so easily i bet they throw roles around to anyone who shows a bit knowledge to the game

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#57 - 2015-09-04 12:55:23 UTC
Worst case scenario:

* gets director roles
* flicks aggression switch to the off position
* has up to 23 hours (46 if another director or CEO isn't online) to have a good old-fashioned safari I.e.
gets to hunt the rest of the Corp with impunity
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#58 - 2015-09-04 15:44:07 UTC
How do they function?


Usually quite badly.

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#59 - 2015-09-04 20:34:11 UTC
Lulu Lunette wrote:


I never said it was useless but saying that he should avoid a corp that don't do api checks is not right either.

API keys go hand in hand with serious gameplay. People that fly expensive ships, or corp's that have to share pos hangars in a wormhole, of course they are gonna need an API.

Not all of them are so serious and it would be a waste of time tbh.

For high sec carebear corps a common practice is for war decers to make an alt and not even train that alt and apply to corp and upon acceptance have his main's corp war dec the carebear corp. Since a quick look at war dec history and employment history would be a dead give away those players have to biomass the spy alts frequently.

A simple API check to make sure the character has enough skill points to make sure someone had to pay money or isk to train that alt makes it a bit less throw away. Doing that one simple API check will eliminate probably 90% of those.

Just because you can't find much use for API checks does not mean that they are not important. I would say any new player should be looking for a corp that does API checks as well as any vet but for different reasons.

If you have a playstyle that makes it not that big of a deal fine but for a new player just coming to the game looking for a corp that does API checks is good advice. Once he learns more about the game he can make the decision if he wants to or not. However until you find a reason that giving out an API impinges upon your playstyle look for a corp that does them.

I repeat to the OP as a new player it is in your best interests to look for a corp that does API checks.
Avvy wrote:

But can't you just keep your assets in your hanger, you don't have to put them in a corp hanger surely.

It's not that simple Avvy. Yes in the beginning when you are not involved in much it is pretty simple to keep to yourself. Once you learn more about the game and amass more assets and broaden your interests you almost inevitably start getting involved in group efforts which means mixing each other's "stuff" together to accomplish common goals.

It's not something that you need to worry about until you need to worry about it and even when you do what you need to be aware of will be very situational. So for now just don't worry about it and know that it is a thing.

Certainly however corp hangars are not the only issue PoSes are another but those are far from the only two.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Sal Marshall
State War Academy
Caldari State
#60 - 2015-09-04 22:15:49 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Sal Marshall wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Highly dependent upon the Corp you join, remember literally anyone can set up a Corp so there's plenty of incompetent and inept ones out there.

The thing I would recommend is finding one that's interests align with yours.
Preferably one that can actually defend themselves,
check their zkill board and if it's painted red with industrial and PvE fit ships then avoid,
combat fit ships would mean they at least try to fight so you might be able to have some fun.

Typical things to check/ask about would be their peak active hours, primary activities, PvP experience and for the love of God do not join a Corp that doesn't ask you for an api key.

Best thing imo for you to do would be hop on com's with whomever and see if you get on with them, people will make allowances if they feel they're getting to know you and like having you around.



Could you expand on this statement?: for the love of God do not join a Corp that doesn't ask you for an api key.

Why do you think that is important?

I've been an off again/on again player with a few truly terri-bad experiences with Corps.. I just came to the conclusion that most Corps were populated with jerks in love with drama.. just NOT.. MY.. CUP.. OF.. TEA

I'm older and just don't have the patience for that type of stupidity anymore.. .

I'm 44. Welcome to the old man playing Eve club.

So API checks can do a lot of things especially in the hands of someone that knows how to use them. I personally am not one of those people but I can tell you a few things. First off it makes players with ill intent have to put some effort into covering their tracks which right there eliminates probably 70% or more of them.

Another thing it can do when combined with minimum SP requirements is make sure someone has to invest money into the character and that it is not a low skill point disposable alt on a trial account.
j

And thanks for your reply! Much appreciated..