These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why High Sec Gankers?

First post
Author
Odie McCracken
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2015-08-21 11:27:34 UTC
Duke Morgan-Elite wrote:

The question is why they do it, not how to avoid being hit.

Because they can and it's in the rules of the game? Why do they need more of a reason than that?
Black Pedro
Mine.
#42 - 2015-08-21 12:19:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Black Pedro
Duke Morgan-Elite wrote:
I like how you've used word adult, yet missing the qualities of the word your self. The only toxic is your attempt in defending such behaviour in the game. May be you can inform us on why you do this? Since you have not yet contributed to the post itself.

I am not sure why this matters since playing as a criminal is legal, expected gameplay, but I will tell you.

CCP has designed a beautiful, complex sandbox game where the role of the "bad guys" is intended to be taken by other players. These villains are the criminals, scammers, pirates and so forth which have been explicitly coded into the game. Now, if no players took up that challenge, Eve would be a pretty boring game - people just grinding resources and making stuff that would have no value as nothing would get destroyed.

So, I take much satisfaction in acting as an agent of risk in this game. The risk my criminal actions pose I realize are minor in the grand scheme of things, but do provide some pressure on other players to take precautions and not completely put all their optimizations into maximizing yield, and prevents them from completely going AFK. Important for you to understand is these reasons are the exact reasons why CCP has made criminals able to operate at all. The risk we present makes for a more interesting game for everyone, and that is what keeps me logging in.

The best kill for me is the one that hurts the target the most. Eve is a competitive, single-universe sandbox and thus meaningless, consensual 1v1 or drunken roams have little interest for me. Blowing up a ship that the other person has already written off might provide a momentary diversion, but has no consequence on the greater universe of New Eden. The best kills are the ones that affect the target the most, are the most costly, and the most unexpected - the stronger and richer the target the better. Blowing up fat, entitled carebears is endlessly entertaining, and each one is a win in my quest to gather resources and power in the sandbox.

But whether it is an overloaded freighter laden with riches that was AFKing, or just some dude in an untanked Retriever mining while they watch Netflix on another screen, players all over highsec need to be regularly reminded that highsec is not safesec. They are intended by the game designers to protect their stuff and when a player does just that and avoids or even stops my gank I give them a 'gf' in local or at least a mental nod to their success in foiling or preventing my attack. Sure I'll ask targets and victims to buy a permit, but that is part of my role as a villain who is part of an organization that claims highsec. Villains are there to drive conflict and to fight against, and I have nothing but respect for my fellow gamers who choose to do so.

Who I do not respect are those that choose to hurl vile, personal insults at me, call me mentally ill (as you have), or threaten my family with death or harm. This is a video game and I am playing it within not only the rules, but in accordance with the intentions of the game designers. You have no right to personally attack me, the person behind the keyboard for playing a video game because you are unable to separate fantasy from reality, or recognize the difference between a video game villain and a mentally ill person in real life.

You should take a good, long look at yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself if this demonization and name-calling behaviour would be appropriate anywhere else in your real life.
Kooshti
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2015-08-21 12:20:16 UTC
sometimes i like to play with my nipples, simply because i can, sometimes code like to shoot miners, simply because they can
Mike Adoulin
Happys Happy Hamster Hunting Club
#44 - 2015-08-21 12:30:50 UTC
Duke Morgan-Elite wrote:
sociopathic self-entitlement drivel

Welcome to EVE. The ads for this game say 'Be The Villain!' and make a lot of fuss about getting revenge on people that blow up your Merlin.

The devs for this game have made it abundantly clear the game is a sandbox, and human nature being what it is, the sand gets kicked over quite a bit. See the CCP musical group Permaband for more examples. Youtube is your friend.

Since this game apparently seems to be too adult for you, in that Bad Things Happen To Internet Spaceships, with or without the owners consent, I recommend you to Star Trek Online, where PVP does not exist. You may also want to look at Elite Dangerous, which while being very similar to EVE in many ways.....on the OPEN (multiplayer) server........also gives you the option of playing in single-player mode or even lets you set up a private server for just you and your friends.

Then there is Star Citizen.

Straight

I'd check back on that in another 10 years or so.

So, in closing, we bid you a fond farewell, and, as always, remember to give me all your stuff. I promise it will be used for the betterment of Space Pirate Hamsters everywhere, not just hi sec.

Adios, arrivederchi, bon voyage, etc, etc, goodbye.

It wasn't us....it was you.

*sniffs*

Everything in EVE is a trap.

And if it isn't, it's your job to make it a trap...:)

You want to know what immorality in EVE Online looks like? Look no further than Ripard "Jester" Teg.

Chribba is the Chuck Norris of EVE.

Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#45 - 2015-08-21 12:51:23 UTC
Mephiztopheleze wrote:
hisec is a cesspit full of self proclaimed tossers and carebears. Seriously, get out of HiSec.

Have a look at a newbie friendly 0.0 corp, like for example: KarmaFleet.

Or Brave Newbies inc.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2015-08-21 14:01:34 UTC
Duke Morgan-Elite wrote:
If you want to know why they do it, you need to understand mentality behind their actions.

No you don't, and unless you're a qualified psychologist, you won't be able to. What you can understand is the motives, and that understanding comes with learning how EVE works, and what it is. Everything else you say is salty posturing, little more than a sad attempt to 'other' people that don't play the way you want them to.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Revis Owen
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#47 - 2015-08-21 14:10:18 UTC
Yong Shin wrote:
Posts like yours may bring unwarranted attention

I think you meant "unwanted attention". The potential in-game attention toward people who cry about PvP in Eve never is unwarranted. :)

Agent of the New Order http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html If you do not have a current Mining Permit, please contact me for issuance.

Revis Owen
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#48 - 2015-08-21 14:24:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Revis Owen
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
The presumption that they are latently bad people IRL because they choose to play the role of a villain in a game that specifically advertises being the bad guy as one of it's major selling points is pretty far off the mark though.
Yes, there are likely certain individuals for which this is true.

Spend a little time in AG channels and reading how miners react to their pixels exploding. Then you'll see what groups of players truly have a high number of people with IRL sociopathic tendencies. :)

Agent of the New Order http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html If you do not have a current Mining Permit, please contact me for issuance.

Bellatrix Invicta
Doomheim
#49 - 2015-08-21 15:22:26 UTC
Duke Morgan-Elite wrote:
The question is why they do it, not how to avoid being hit.

1. Because it's fun.
2. Because I can.
3. Because of the glorious salt it produces.
4. Content.

There, that's why. Any other reason is a ******* lie.

If you think you've won, think again.

The CODE always wins.

Yong Shin
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2015-08-21 16:28:24 UTC
Revis Owen wrote:
Yong Shin wrote:
Posts like yours may bring unwarranted attention

I think you meant "unwanted attention". The potential in-game attention toward people who cry about PvP in Eve never is unwarranted. :)

Touche, but I used "unwarranted" in the sense that this poor sap is not representative of the Center's average member, who most certainly would not cry about pvp in Eve~ As my own combat history would happily attest to Cry
Avi Shekelstien
Doomheim
#51 - 2015-08-21 16:47:09 UTC
For the OP and any other lazy miners who need their hands holding while shooting defenceless rocks the way to avoid ganks is simple. Buy a procurer and fit it for tank instead of trying to maximise your 1 click per hour Isk farming.
Meloddy Sev
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2015-08-21 18:25:13 UTC
Some good advice being shared here. I feel the warmth and love flowing into me. The nastiness just bounces off.

I've figured out a good way to avoid being ganked by them for now, while I work on my combat. I'll keep playing the game.

It's funny, posting here as opened my eyes to the wider scope of the game and how people play it. You have to admit, it's a lot to take in all at once. My first reaction was to wine and complain, now that reality has sunk in, I see the other paths I can take.

Now when I see another miner, I check their info, about 80% have their CODE mining permits.

I consider myself a fighter, and a thinker, looking forward to fighting back as well as learning how to play the game better.
Revis Owen
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#53 - 2015-08-21 18:52:08 UTC
Meloddy Sev wrote:
looking forward to fighting back

Finally! An anti-Code rebel stands up in the forums and declares personal jihad on the New Order! You will train intensely and bring the fight! Fear will someday lurk in the heart of every Code agent, and James 315 himself! You will . . . . . Oh, wait.

Sorry.

You're, like, #82937 in that line.

No, what will happen is that you will either get a permit or for the rest of your days in Eve fear will lurk in your heart every time you undock in highsec.

Praise James!

Bellatrix Invicta
Doomheim
#54 - 2015-08-21 18:55:00 UTC
Meloddy Sev wrote:
I've figured out a good way to avoid being ganked by them for now, while I work on my combat.

We call it "Skillqueue Online" or "shipspinning". It's really the only way, other than holding a valid Permit, to avoid having the Law of Highsec enforced upon you.

If you think you've won, think again.

The CODE always wins.

Anne Dieu-le-veut
Natl Assn for the Advancement of Criminal People
#55 - 2015-08-21 19:10:37 UTC
Duke Morgan-Elite wrote:
take CCP to court

You're not even trying to be a good troll Sad
Meloddy Sev
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2015-08-21 22:52:28 UTC
Revis Owen wrote:
Meloddy Sev wrote:

Finally! An anti-Code rebel stands up in the forums and declares personal jihad on the New Order! You will train intensely and bring the fight! Fear will someday lurk in the heart of every Code agent, and James 315 himself! You will . . . . . Oh, wait.

Sorry.

No, what will happen is that you will either get a permit or for the rest of your days in Eve fear will lurk in your heart every time you undock in highsec.

Praise James!

I'm not impressed by a group of thugs who are clearly afraid to fight actual war ships, only pathetic mining barges...
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2015-08-21 23:33:22 UTC
Meloddy Sev wrote:
Revis Owen wrote:
Meloddy Sev wrote:

Sorry.

Praise James!

I'm not impressed by a group of thugs who are clearly afraid to fight actual war ships, only pathetic mining barges...

You keep assuming that's all we do. I, for one, welcome the underestimation of our tactical ability Twisted

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Azov Rassau
Iron Destiny
#58 - 2015-08-22 00:28:39 UTC
Meloddy Sev wrote:
Why

Because EVE.

Meloddy Sev wrote:
^ the bingo is strong.

Even mining ships can fight back (if its pilot knows how to use it). Especially the SKIFF. Use it. It's amazing.

Be the change you want to see in Highsec.

Anti-Ganking Fun: www.gankerjamming.com

Damnskippy
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2015-08-22 01:17:48 UTC
Azov Rassau wrote:
Meloddy Sev wrote:
Why

Because EVE.

Meloddy Sev wrote:
^ the bingo is strong.

Even mining ships can fight back (if its pilot knows how to use it). Especially the SKIFF. Use it. It's amazing.

Oh God I hate skiffs. Many of my lonely interceptors have died to those tanky bastards. The bait is just too tempting.

But back on topic, Good luck on the white knighting. This is Eve. Feel free to attempt to steal their stuff, gank their ships ( most are -10 so can be shot at by anyone, anywhere ) disrupt their ops, sow discord and whatever else you can think of ( rules permitted ). Get creative. Who knows? You might actually come up with something new.
Ralph Bryden
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2015-08-22 23:02:38 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
Duke Morgan-Elite wrote:
I like how you've used word adult, yet missing the qualities of the word your self. The only toxic is your attempt in defending such behaviour in the game. May be you can inform us on why you do this? Since you have not yet contributed to the post itself.

I am not sure why this matters since playing as a criminal is legal, expected gameplay, but I will tell you.

CCP has designed a beautiful, complex sandbox game where the role of the "bad guys" is intended to be taken by other players. These villains are the criminals, scammers, pirates and so forth which have been explicitly coded into the game. Now, if no players took up that challenge, Eve would be a pretty boring game - people just grinding resources and making stuff that would have no value as nothing would get destroyed.

So, I take much satisfaction in acting as an agent of risk in this game. The risk my criminal actions pose I realize are minor in the grand scheme of things, but do provide some pressure on other players to take precautions and not completely put all their optimizations into maximizing yield, and prevents them from completely going AFK. Important for you to understand is these reasons are the exact reasons why CCP has made criminals able to operate at all. The risk we present makes for a more interesting game for everyone, and that is what keeps me logging in.

The best kill for me is the one that hurts the target the most. Eve is a competitive, single-universe sandbox and thus meaningless, consensual 1v1 or drunken roams have little interest for me. Blowing up a ship that the other person has already written off might provide a momentary diversion, but has no consequence on the greater universe of New Eden. The best kills are the ones that affect the target the most, are the most costly, and the most unexpected - the stronger and richer the target the better. Blowing up fat, entitled carebears is endlessly entertaining, and each one is a win in my quest to gather resources and power in the sandbox.

But whether it is an overloaded freighter laden with riches that was AFKing, or just some dude in an untanked Retriever mining while they watch Netflix on another screen, players all over highsec need to be regularly reminded that highsec is not safesec. They are intended by the game designers to protect their stuff and when a player does just that and avoids or even stops my gank I give them a 'gf' in local or at least a mental nod to their success in foiling or preventing my attack. Sure I'll ask targets and victims to buy a permit, but that is part of my role as a villain who is part of an organization that claims highsec. Villains are there to drive conflict and to fight against, and I have nothing but respect for my fellow gamers who choose to do so.

Who I do not respect are those that choose to hurl vile, personal insults at me, call me mentally ill (as you have), or threaten my family with death or harm. This is a video game and I am playing it within not only the rules, but in accordance with the intentions of the game designers. You have no right to personally attack me, the person behind the keyboard for playing a video game because you are unable to separate fantasy from reality, or recognize the difference between a video game villain and a mentally ill person in real life.

You should take a good, long look at yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself if this demonization and name-calling behaviour would be appropriate anywhere else in your real life.

you are right; no one has any right to insult anyone, but when coders or gankers do it in abundance in local they are setting the precedence for things to come for them and their alliance mates. What goes around comes around in some way shape or form (even if not in the same magnitude or scale)

Many a times i have been target of coders verbal attacks on local but i just ignore them as 100% of them are on an ego high (cuz of superior #s) and now quite a few are blocked lol. Also, when you coders and code sympathizers are behind a keyboard you sure show a big lack of respect to your fellow gamers just because its 'online' and the typical 'cannot be compared to RL, yo!' LOL. But you expect no lash back or push back and everyone to be amicable and kind to you.

one good example that comes to mind: erotica1 that your code messiah is friends with and the code alliance wants reinstated goes after some one with a speech impediment with his buddies outside of the game and then comes back on the forums and posts his 'fun' with a victim who has a speech impediment; this is not disturbing in your eyes? Glad that CCP stepped in and drew the line.

Taking pleasure out of cyber bullying a person with a speech impediment is already bad enough and then the alliance you align yourself with or represent or look up to in game has quite a few members asking for his reinstatement and now one has to seriously wonder if people in this alliance are actually mentally stable or vice versa.

But it all just 'online' correct? lol Pirate