These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to fix eve for new players and increase eve population

First post
Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#81 - 2015-08-27 00:06:18 UTC
Aerasia wrote:
Responses in bold, because that's a lot of rhetorical questions.
Delt0r Garsk wrote:

What i train has an opportunity cost. Not exactly. Most skills are "train them, or you're an idiot."

Actually he is totally right. Every time you make a choice, in game, in RL, everywhere entails opportunity cost.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#82 - 2015-08-27 00:58:58 UTC
Aerasia wrote:

Quote:
The way EVE works does not mean you are hopelessly out matched when you are new. Having loads of SP does not make you excellent at PvP and having little SP does not make you poor at PvP.
Yes it does. You are fantastically, insurmountably, unbelievably outmatched when you've got low SP. Don't make the mistake of confusing "hanging out with people who have SP" for having SP yourself.

12 one month old chars will easily out match one 12 month old char in almost any situation.

You dont need sp, you need friends.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#83 - 2015-08-27 04:55:41 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Aerasia wrote:

Quote:
The way EVE works does not mean you are hopelessly out matched when you are new. Having loads of SP does not make you excellent at PvP and having little SP does not make you poor at PvP.
Yes it does. You are fantastically, insurmountably, unbelievably outmatched when you've got low SP. Don't make the mistake of confusing "hanging out with people who have SP" for having SP yourself.

12 one month old chars will easily out match one 12 month old char in almost any situation.

You dont need sp, you need friends.

What, playing a massivly MULTI-PLAYER online game and making friends? You are simply talking nonsense. P

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Aerasia
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#84 - 2015-08-27 05:39:53 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Except combat.

Teckos Pech wrote:
Actually he is totally right. Every time you make a choice, in game, in RL, everywhere entails opportunity cost.
That's like saying there's an opportunity cost between having breakfast, or taking a **** in the morning.

I'm going to do both - I just pick which order.

EVE skills are largely the same. There are a few ways to completely ignore some mechanics, yes. I can choose to go full combat and put nothing into trading (can't entirely do that the other way around, as you start with some combat skills). But take trading. Once you have Industrial I, Trading I and Contracting I, that's largely going to be what you need mechanically to be a market trader. You certainly won't be a titan of industry or anything, but from there on out all the skills are "What I can do now, only more so."

So that's not really an 'opportunity cost', considering your options are to become better at what you've chosen to do... or become better at what you've chosen to do in a different order.
Daichi Yamato
#85 - 2015-08-27 12:47:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Daichi Yamato
Aerasia wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Except combat.

Lol

You realise that Mr Duffo has less SP than several chars he kills in that vid right? What happened there was a fit designed to hard counter a frig/dessie gang did its job such that even opponents with more SP were taken down. Thanks for proving my point.

Then just yesterday the same guy loses against a char younger than him and in a ship his own should counter. Look through his loss history for more solo losses against chars much younger than himself.

2008 vagabond dies to a bunch of 2014/2015 chars
6mth vs 12mth
And so on...

And its not like im digging deep for these kills...

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Aerasia
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#86 - 2015-08-27 14:06:46 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Thanks for proving my point.
No, your point was that in a 12 v 1 the bigger group should easily win even against even a far older character. That is not true.

The idea of 1 month old characters being competent at PvP is particularly egregious. It's 3-4 months (depending on hull) to get the basic SP competencies down, and the better part of a year to get yourself flying at full potential. And that, Duffo does have. Just imagine how that fight would have gone if it was a purely trial account gang. Or if he had spent some of his extra SP on an OGB.

Winning at low SP levels can happen. Even suitonia managed to get a few wins in that Rifter video. But as that same video proves, you need an incredibly lopsided fight in order to make it work.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#87 - 2015-08-27 14:51:01 UTC
All the debate over a highly volatile situation.

There is no such thing as SP will always win since it ignores 3/4 of the rest of the factors.
Likewise stating that SP has no affect is ignoring 3/4 of the factors.

The actual human being behind the characters is perhaps the most important factor in this. Given a player that is highly trained by years of experience and they can and often do overcome a significant disadvantage in SP and ship/fit. The reversse is also true given a player that has poor personal skills and they will often lose despite a significant SP and ship / fit advantage.

The elephant in the corner that no one likes to acknowledge in these fights is connection speed and to some degree the power of the computer that each is using.
I know for a fact that internet connection speed plays a role and that is why I do not PvP in this game, no matter how good your are or how much SP you have it is impossible to over come a connection that essentially limits you to 2 second ticks when your opponent is working with the game standard 1 second ticks.
Likewise a low powered computer that cannot display full graphics can limit your ability to visually identify how your opponents ship is fit. My son did realize how badly this handicapped him until he bought a new computer recently.

So here we get to the end of this and you can go on forever posting links to entertaining videos that you claim prove your side of the debate. And in reality both sides of this one are correct.
On any given day and in any given situation a player with less experience controlling a character that has less SP and a less than optimal ship / fit can and do win fights.

However when you step back from the macro view and look at the game as a whole and over time the higher SP characters and those with more ISK to invest(lose) will come away victorious in the vast majority of the situations.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#88 - 2015-08-27 14:52:59 UTC
Aerasia wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Except combat.

Teckos Pech wrote:
That's like saying there's an opportunity cost between having breakfast, or taking a **** in the morning.

I'm going to do both - I just pick which order.

EVE skills are largely the same. There are a few ways to completely ignore some mechanics, yes. I can choose to go full combat and put nothing into trading (can't entirely do that the other way around, as you start with some combat skills). But take trading. Once you have Industrial I, Trading I and Contracting I, that's largely going to be what you need mechanically to be a market trader. You certainly won't be a titan of industry or anything, but from there on out all the skills are "What I can do now, only more so."

So that's not really an 'opportunity cost', considering your options are to become better at what you've chosen to do... or become better at what you've chosen to do in a different order.

There is an opportunity cost between taking a **** and having breakfast...or in which order you do them. It might be small and most people wont even spend more than a fraction of a second on the decision, but still there is a cost. All choices entail an opportunity cost, even if small.

In game, depending on what you want to do, the order in which you train skills also comes with an opportunity cost.

And no the skills are not "largely the same". Some skills, core skills, are good to train across multiple "professions" in the game, for example the capacitor based skills are usually good if you are going to be in space in a ship. Of course, if you are training a pilot to fly a freighter then you might want to put those skills further down the list...like maybe when he will be getting ready to train/use a jump freighter. Of course, if you are going to be a station trader, training such a skill would be pretty close to a complete waste relative to training yet-to-be-trained trade skills. In this case the opportunity cost of training the capacitor skills or weapons upgrades is very high.

And with a station trading character you don't need alot of skills, true. However, if you want to maximize your gains there are a number of skills you can train. And there is yet another option open to this player, once that trader is "maxed out" start another character. This one could supplement the trader--i.e. is a hauler. Or does something else...and of course the choices come with and opportunity cost.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#89 - 2015-08-27 15:05:40 UTC
Aerasia wrote:
The idea of 1 month old characters being competent at PvP is particularly egregious.

And 35 million SP is going to do little to help that. Nor would 70 million, or no SP and letting said player get into any ship with any modules in the game for that matter.

Daichi Yamato
#90 - 2015-08-27 15:09:02 UTC
Lopsided fight? You mean like friends, superior piloting or a better fit? Well thats terrible. Most of the players in that fight were capable od flying a cruiser and bc. Imagine how that fight would have went if they had chosen not to fly frigs and dessies. And lets remember, duffo didn't hold the field. He had to bail.

-Your proposal Is that sp be removed, but clearly thats not necessary.

-The op's proposal is that new players start with 35mil sp, but clearly thats not necessary.

-Building something, like a char, from a low and basic level clearly has mass appeal.

-Sp/hour system is better than a grind system in particular for eve as eve has a large population of mature players with fulltime jobs and family.

Im not denying that new players could do with an extra boost to sp and I have posted that else where. In fact it makes sense to me that with an ever aging population, New players gradually get more and more starting sp. But the notion that new players must have 35mil sp or even wait 3-4 months before CONTRIBUTING to a fight is false.

Aerasia
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#91 - 2015-08-27 15:31:35 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
All choices entail an opportunity cost, even if small
Follow that thread if you like, but I'm not going to argue the existence of infinitesimal opportunity cost in choosing between "Adv. Industry I" vs. "Mass Production II" for the next spot in my skill queue.

Teckos Pech wrote:
And 35 million SP is going to do little to help that.
It changes the dynamic from "You can't win a fight because your stats aren't high enough" to "You didn't win the fight because you made a mistake". It doesn't change the result of the fight, but the difference is huge.

Daichi Yamato wrote:
Imagine how that fight would have went if they had chosen not to fly frigs and dessies.
Which is part of the reason I chose that clip. It had roughly the right size of fight, and the ships being used were representative of what a month old character would be flying.

I could go for the pure technicality of "Oh, well even playing EVE isn't necessary", but that might be a bit hypocritical after criticizing Teckos for that. Blink

Removing SP isn't required, but it is preferred. SP doesn't provide anything but a time barrier for content. It's why some hulls have really weird pre-reqs - CCP just needed a skill with an X day training time to gate off piloting that hull. That's not an engaging system, it's a freemium game that forgot to give you the option of buying Smurfberries.

And I refuse to be content with "CONTRIBUTING" to a fight. New players aren't here to be your little sister, tagging along for the ride. If I can teach a week old player how Duffo did what he did, there's no reason they should be prevented from replicating that.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#92 - 2015-08-28 04:36:52 UTC
Aerasia wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
All choices entail an opportunity cost, even if small
Follow that thread if you like, but I'm not going to argue the existence of infinitesimal opportunity cost in choosing between "Adv. Industry I" vs. "Mass Production II" for the next spot in my skill queue.

Teckos Pech wrote:
And 35 million SP is going to do little to help that.
It changes the dynamic from "You can't win a fight because your stats aren't high enough" to "You didn't win the fight because you made a mistake". It doesn't change the result of the fight, but the difference is huge.

Daichi Yamato wrote:
Imagine how that fight would have went if they had chosen not to fly frigs and dessies.
Which is part of the reason I chose that clip. It had roughly the right size of fight, and the ships being used were representative of what a month old character would be flying.

I could go for the pure technicality of "Oh, well even playing EVE isn't necessary", but that might be a bit hypocritical after criticizing Teckos for that. Blink

Removing SP isn't required, but it is preferred. SP doesn't provide anything but a time barrier for content. It's why some hulls have really weird pre-reqs - CCP just needed a skill with an X day training time to gate off piloting that hull. That's not an engaging system, it's a freemium game that forgot to give you the option of buying Smurfberries.

And I refuse to be content with "CONTRIBUTING" to a fight. New players aren't here to be your little sister, tagging along for the ride. If I can teach a week old player how Duffo did what he did, there's no reason they should be prevented from replicating that.

Here is your problem, you are constantly confusing and equivocating. If we want to be explicit we can write it out this way,

Prob(Win A fight | SP, Skill),

the position Daichi and I are arguing is that the effect of changing SP on that probability is small. The other factor, "skill" which is everything not captured by the skill point system, is the dominant factor. The latter comes with time. This is why you'll see "veterans" who have a new character beating players with more SP than their new character. The skill factor is the dominant factor.

As for opportunity cost, its funny that Eve players are often so well versed in it when it comes to "I mine my own minerals there for they are free," but then fall flat on their ****ing faces when applying the concept of opportunity cost elsewhere. That describes you perfectly Aerasia.

Oh, and for the record, I'd argue the better course is to train Advanced Industry first since it will help you with researching BPOs which you should do before you use them to build. But considering that Advanced Industry is rank 3 vs. Mass Production which is Rank 2 you could alternate skills as well. And apparently you think that training various skills comes with a massive opportunity cost...so much so that all skills and SP should simply be removed and that the only barrier to flying any ship you want be ISK....which will still necessitate time until "content".

As for "CONTRIBUTING to a fight" (by the way, might I suggest a decaffeinated brand of coffee or maybe a therapist, you sound rather angry) even long time veterans merely "contribute" to a fight. Heck, lately I've been trying my hand at logistics. Not exactly the sexiest role in PvP although FCs will love you long time for flying such ships.

Aerasia
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#93 - 2015-08-28 05:13:57 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
The other factor, "skill" which is everything not captured by the skill point system, is the dominant factor. The latter comes with time. This is why you'll see "veterans" who have a new character beating players with more SP than their new character.
You're forgetting the factor of ship fitting. That's a bit of a blended one, as it's the skill which tells you what type of modules to fit, but it's the SP that gives you the hull and lets you actually fit them.

The skill factor contributes, but SP sets a hard limit on what you can do. It's why suitonia's "low SP" videos have such a tiny engagement range - you just can't take on a combat frigate with only a million SP.

Teckos Pech wrote:
And apparently you think that training various skills comes with a massive opportunity cost.
They do, just not amongst themselves. Choosing to do Cruiser V over Long Range Targeting V doesn't matter when you need both of them to get into a Guardian.

And flying an Augoror in the meantime isn't "opportunity cost" either. You're choosing to fly a Guardian as fast as you can, but the game is just telling you to wait until it's happy you've been subscribed long enough to earn flying a different ship.
O2 jayjay
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#94 - 2015-08-28 05:19:12 UTC
Allysa Nar wrote:
I would like to say that I consider myself new to Eve online having played about every other MMO out there. I don't know if this is an appropriate forum to post this, but I know what limits Eve from attracting new players.

Simply it takes too long to skill up. There is no way too power level skills. New players have the Eve learning curve to contend with. A daunting challenge in and of itself. To make matters worse the skills necessary to actually do anything in the game take years.

Eve character development needs to be faster. When a new pilot joins eve they should be given way more skill points.. by way more I mean starting around 35 million skill points or so. Honestly I believe even more skill points would be better. New players would still have the eve learning curve to contend with. It would open the marketplace for new players to buy more plex to use more of the ships they normally couldn't pilot for a long time. This can easily be balanced by giving existing players the skill points that new players start with. In the end veterans and people who understand Eve will be the benefactors, but for a new player it will mean that they don't have to wait for years before feeling that they have the skill points necessary to do anything in eve.

To be honest as a new player all I do anymore is queue my skills. I started my career with other characters doing mining/industrial to generate isk to do other things. Long story short I made tons of isk but my playstyle choices were limited despite having multiple accounts. Ultimately I made mistakes in building all of these as I learned the game.

Anyways. Just logged on with one of my dudes to train skills. Wide variety of ships available for one race. I am considering playing again in 6 months when I have the flexibility to fly more ships.
35 mil sp is way too mucj! 2-3 is enough and you can grind it out like the rest of us. A new player doesnt need to go beyond frig/destroyer for about 6 months. If done right you should be skilled enough to fly crusiers. I personally think BS should take alittle over a year to get into. 35mil SP! Youre drunk kid! Go Home!
Dror
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#95 - 2015-08-28 12:21:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Dror
Teckos Pech wrote:
Prob(Win A fight | SP, Skill)

Actually, just winning is already stated as much less than the whole of the argument; so if that's the only point here, it's way more shallow than all of the points and ideas provided for no SP.

Teckos Pech wrote:
The effect of SP on that probability is small.

The benefits mentioned include showing a 1 week sub how to 1v10. I'd like you to find an example where that's plausible with starter-level SP. In fact, that idea is just one of interesting gameplay. That 1vAll playstyle is prevalent in videos, and it's a major example (for fresh subs) of a goal, because of the obvious blobbing trends.

Probably the most profound benefit of no SP is the "word-of-mouth" recruitment options. What if a movie star finds the game? What's the likelihood of being interested in a spaceship game that only allows frigates for the majority of beginner action? ..What about for flying anything? The more interesting design is the system with the most chance of being suggested after playing it. Even if the movie star can afford a character, the low chance of that also being plausible or interesting for the relevant "crew", whether acquaintances or social media followers, disincentivizes that chain reaction -- in other words, if there's nothing to talk about, there's nothing to recommend.

"SP is helpful for the game?" Here's all of the research on motivation -- it says the opposite! What purpose does it serve, then? Starter corps are non-competitive. Sov is unchallenged. "Fix sov!" you say? Remove SP.

Kasey Wolf
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#96 - 2015-08-30 04:09:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Kasey Wolf
so as a new pilot i have seen only a few things new players actually can do that isnt being bait. 1. new players can get just a little over 1 mil sp and can tank just like everyone else as i can tank fit almost any ship i fly. 2. as a 1mil sp pilot you can do ecm things with tank things. 3. some people think FC is hard but if a new player is good at talking and leading they can FC to as its not hard and most FC's dont need to do anything particularly special. the downsides within these three. 1 even if you tank hard you cant get decent DPS without tech 2 weapons. this means you still need to train for about 1 or 2 months JUST for your guns. 2 ecm is nice and all but solo ecm doesnt really work so this means you limit yourself to at least small fleets with ECM. 3. if you die first as FC just because they saw your character was new this renders that whole argument invalid. the issue with SP in this game is that tech two is the only viable thing in pvp 90% of the time. if the other guy/guys can out tank you your doomed and there is no argument to fight this. the current meta/ what everyone is doing now is also BLackops which anyone on trial cant even TOUCH due to trial restrictions so all of those blackops fleets are suddenly null for real nubs at the game and any other fleet will barely want you if you cant do more then 170 dps on your frig which on a few ships i have fitted is the max you can get with meta fours. also you dont want to fit faction guns it makes your ship to shiny. correct me where im wrong but as it is with my 1.5 mil sp my only downside that i have and i NOTICE is in a 1v1 with anything on my level they do that extra 100DPS over my 170 to 200. this means that solo pvp is very very hard to do without either A losing lots of isk and ships or B doing pve to keep the isk income which is hard when everytime you turn around your getting ganked cause people in eve are pretty much all assholes 50 to 90% of the time. if i missed something let me know if im wrong dont just say im wrong explain it because as i see it im litterlly paying ONLY to train my character and when my time runs out i probably WONT buy another plex or game time from CCP because of this huge gape simply because of SP. also if you say speed tank eff off everytime i try to speed tank i get pointed and webbed all at the same time my afterburner and MWD are both useless active tanking is the only real option. my thought is make the skills matter less i like the game cause of the ships i want to fly but if i have to spend 3 years just to fly them and be worth something i dont want to play. i bet hundreds of other people feel the same way to who are new.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#97 - 2015-08-30 06:11:07 UTC
Dror wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Prob(Win A fight | SP, Skill)

Actually, just winning is already stated as much less than the whole of the argument; so if that's the only point here, it's way more shallow than all of the points and ideas provided for no SP.

Teckos Pech wrote:
The effect of SP on that probability is small.

The benefits mentioned include showing a 1 week sub how to 1v10. I'd like you to find an example where that's plausible with starter-level SP. In fact, that idea is just one of interesting gameplay. That 1vAll playstyle is prevalent in videos, and it's a major example (for fresh subs) of a goal, because of the obvious blobbing trends.

Probably the most profound benefit of no SP is the "word-of-mouth" recruitment options. What if a movie star finds the game? What's the likelihood of being interested in a spaceship game that only allows frigates for the majority of beginner action? ..What about for flying anything? The more interesting design is the system with the most chance of being suggested after playing it. Even if the movie star can afford a character, the low chance of that also being plausible or interesting for the relevant "crew", whether acquaintances or social media followers, disincentivizes that chain reaction -- in other words, if there's nothing to talk about, there's nothing to recommend.

Regarding the number of new accounts...I got bad news. Go look at the Bass diffusion model. The best strategy for CCP is not to go for new accounts, but to get those people with accounts who are not logging in to start logging in again. Your aim, the OPs aim, and everyone with a similar position to yours is way off the mark.

Dror
Gallente Federation
#98 - 2015-08-30 12:13:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Dror
Teckos Pech wrote:
Go look at the Bass diffusion model. The best strategy for CCP is not to go for new accounts, but to get those people with accounts who are not logging in to start logging in again. Your aim, the OPs aim, and everyone with a similar position to yours is way off the mark.

It seems worth betting that this statement has absolutely nothing of accuracy for the conversation. Actually read any studies implementing the Bass diffusion model for video game products? Either way, how about providing literally any reasoning on that a product should focus on subscriptions that have already been cancelled for *some* reason (likely multiple reasons over the distribution) over either innovating the game (probably a reason for both quitting and not initially subbing) or making it accessible (which again, effects both veteran and amateur experiences). The amount of those "not logging in" is much less than those that haven't played the game, and the latter group constantly receives more numbers.

On the actual model, here's a direct quote from a videogame industry study:

Quote:
Our main empirical findings using videogame console sales, prices and software titles data
from the 32-64 bit generation are as follows. Both prices and software availability have significant
effects on hardware growth. Prices have a bigger effect on sales of consoles in the initial time
periods, while the number of software titles in the market has a bigger effect in the later time periods.

Analogously, that's price of entry (getting skills, which could add up to $1,000 or more for purchasing characters or as advancing, in another method, the obvious barrier of entry), and that's experience availability (what goes "in" the game). So, if the sales of a product are directly related with that product -- the best idea is probably improving it.

Summarized, is the barrier of entry (for example, seeming relevant in the game) ludicrous? Is the experience availability after the first logical goal (for example, frigates) open?

"SP is helpful for the game?" Here's all of the research on motivation -- it says the opposite! What purpose does it serve, then? Starter corps are non-competitive. Sov is unchallenged. "Fix sov!" you say? Remove SP.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#99 - 2015-08-30 19:06:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Dror wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Go look at the Bass diffusion model. The best strategy for CCP is not to go for new accounts, but to get those people with accounts who are not logging in to start logging in again. Your aim, the OPs aim, and everyone with a similar position to yours is way off the mark.

It seems worth betting that this statement has absolutely nothing of accuracy for the conversation. Actually read any studies implementing the Bass diffusion model for video game products? Either way, how about providing literally any reasoning on that a product should focus on subscriptions that have already been cancelled for *some* reason (likely multiple reasons over the distribution) over either innovating the game (probably a reason for both quitting and not initially subbing) or making it accessible (which again, effects both veteran and amateur experiences). The amount of those "not logging in" is much less than those that haven't played the game, and the latter group constantly receives more numbers.

On the actual model, here's a direct quote from a videogame industry study:

Quote:
Our main empirical findings using videogame console sales, prices and software titles data
from the 32-64 bit generation are as follows. Both prices and software availability have significant
effects on hardware growth. Prices have a bigger effect on sales of consoles in the initial time
periods, while the number of software titles in the market has a bigger effect in the later time periods.

Analogously, that's price of entry (getting skills, which could add up to $1,000 or more for purchasing characters or as advancing, in another method, the obvious barrier of entry), and that's experience availability (what goes "in" the game). So, if the sales of a product are directly related with that product -- the best idea is probably improving it.

Summarized, is the barrier of entry (for example, seeming relevant in the game) ludicrous? Is the experience availability after the first logical goal (for example, frigates) open?

It works for pretty much all products even video games, as you have found one of the studies on video games. But you misunderstood their point about price. It is a significant variable early on in the life cycle of the product. The authors explain why elasticities decline over the life cycle of the product.

Quote:
Nevertheless, it is important to answer why the elasticities decline over time. Note that in the initial time periods, the prices are higher and so is the potential market available for adoption. And the sales levels are low. Hence a price reduction at this point can draw from a larger pool of customers and since the sales levels are relatively low, the number of customers that can be attracted in percentage terms is high. Consequently, the initial elasticities are high. As adoption progresses, the potential market declines and the sales level rises. So in percentage terms, the attractiveness of a price cut is smaller thereby explaining the smaller elasticities.

In other words, even if we accept your narrative that giving players 35 million SP is a "price cut", it is considerable well into the products life cycle (i.e. Eve is a rather old video game).

And that study is for both video game consoles and video games. They conclude that aggressive initial pricing, low console costs followed up by lots of video game titles is ideal. For Eve there is no console, hence the initial aggressive pricing suggestion is questionable.

As for your claim that SP is a significant barrier I find that dubious since for quite a long time people were signing up and logging in and playing despite that barrier. Now suddenly it is a problem? Sorry not buying it.

Dror
Gallente Federation
#100 - 2015-08-30 19:43:43 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

Quote:
As adoption progresses, the potential market declines and the sales level rises.

There's no "decline" in a game without a competitor. That quote explains consoles, because they're a platform that's being antiquated with every innovation. There being no competitor -- no innovation -- makes this "point" completely underwhelming. There are no other sandbox MMOs.

The whole model with, frankly, the whole argument and set of responses for it, are ham-fisted completely. Noted, there has been no actual definition for the model in this.. neither "imitation" nor "innovation". So, unless there is one, the whole discussion from this relies on making up definitions. So why imply understanding of the statements? Price is what it takes getting to any goal, analogous because the only goal of a console is getting the console and playing games. So it stands, that barrier of entry for any "first" goal (plausibly stats or relevancy in a niche) and the accessibility of goals beyond that are relevant for figuring out the quality of the game.

If an end product of "gameplay" is decent stats, is SP not ludicrous? If the further goal is playing multiple roles and classes well, does that not seem inaccessible? Obviously, recruiting for the game could have that recruit doing very little of their playstyle for as much as they're interested.

Quote:
The benefits of no SP include showing a 1 week sub how to 1v10. I'd like you to find an example where that's plausible with starter-level SP. That 1vAll playstyle is prevalent in videos, and it's a major example (for fresh subs) of a goal, because of the obvious blobbing trends.