These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to fix eve for new players and increase eve population

First post
Author
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#181 - 2015-09-14 10:08:26 UTC
Fleets are flown without vets. Theres a list of killmails in this thread that show that.

And why are items sitting in station? Are you saying that because I can buy but cannot fit an invulnerable field II I am missing out on content despite the fact I can fit a meta version that does 80% of the job?

THATS your argument?

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Dror
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#182 - 2015-09-14 10:15:48 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Fleets are flown without vets. Theres a list of killmails in this thread that show that.

And why are items sitting in station? Are you saying that because I can buy but cannot fit an invulnerable field II I am missing out on content despite the fact I can fit a meta version that does 80% of the job?

THATS your argument?

Are there not whole ships and classes behind SP? Are those ships not way better, if not the only method of effectiveness at some forms of content or playstyles?

Quote:
"Why play if it's so limited?" There's no progression reward for playing. The reply is, obviously, that this is great for some demographics, but that's only with the idea that some form of XP system is helpful. How can a game seem interesting if it's unrewarding? How can the reward of flying well-fit and great-meta ships be found if it's gated? Why is it not OK to unsub from that?

"SP is helpful for the game?" Here's all of the research on motivation -- it says the opposite! What purpose does it serve, then? Starter corps are non-competitive. Sov is unchallenged. "Fix sov!" you say? Remove SP.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#183 - 2015-09-14 10:27:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
It is completely OK to unsub if this playstyle does not suit your taste. That is your choice. Everyone has different tastes and preferences. However, the playstyle itself does not need to bend so that it suits this particular kind of preference.

You do not need to fly T2 ships to have great fun in PVP, you do not need to use T2 or T3 ships in order to be efficient in PVE. You do not need to use T2 ships in order to be good at hauling. You do not need to use T2 modules and rigs in order to get a lot out of your ship. In fact, it is oftentimes outright unnecessary or counterproductive to use T2 over T1 meta items.

Specialized things are limited to those who commit to use them, who learn to use them. For those who do not want to commit time or SP, there are always T1 ships available to them. Specialized items and ships (are supposed to) offer an upgrade over the already powerful and versatile T1 and faction tools. Specialization requires you to train the skills in order to get the most -- not a lot like in T1 tools --, the most out of a hull. It is completely pointless to argue that people should be able to fly a HAC with 0 skills as a HAC with 0 skills performs worse in every regard than their T1 counterpart.

--

Also:
Quote:
They can realize that the gameplay/playstyles wasn't interesting or great enough without playing? Because they quit?

It is not about realizing whether something is great or not before you play it. It is about doing some research an activity and evaluating base on that research whether you want to invest time and money into the skill training. However, if you already stop before the research and think, that's not worth your sub, your idea was indeed not great and your way to play games is neither wanted nor welcome in this hobby/game.

Oh, and before I forget it: Playing Minecraft in creative mode is not what I was talking about and it is no way comparable to the real game. It is a simulation mode to test things, similar to the asset creator mode in Cities, but not to actually play the game.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Daichi Yamato
#184 - 2015-09-14 10:41:39 UTC
They are means to an end. And that end can be met with other means. There's nothing a carrier can do that 20noobs can do in various sub caps.

Some ships are more poweful than others, but thats progression. And progression itself is a gameplay for some. More than players leave because they cant fly a carrier on day one. So few are you compared to the players that enjoy progression and character building and so vague are your arguments for removing sp that I know sp is going to stay.

If you want to quit, go for it. Its not like 40% of the population are going to follow you.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Dror
Gallente Federation
#185 - 2015-09-14 10:57:17 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
It is completely OK to unsub if this playstyle does not suit your taste. That is your choice. Everyone has different tastes and preferences. However, the playstyle itself does not need to bend so that it suits this particular kind of preference.

This is oddly, still, setting up "playstyles" as something that can be judged without playing. Especially without a lot of experience, watching videos gives very little for even what target options a ship/fit includes. If unsubbing happens before even a decent interpretation of playstyles is plausible, how is that not a game problem?

Rivr Luzade wrote:
You do not need to fly T2 ships to have great fun in PVP, you do not need to use T2 or T3 ships in order to be efficient in PVE.

This isn't what's being stated, and is thus a strawman.

There is a ludicrous amount of training between starting and being effective. Inb4 "tackle frigates":

Aerasia wrote:
Removing SP isn't required, but it is preferred. SP doesn't provide anything but a time barrier for content. It's why some hulls have really weird pre-reqs - CCP just needed a skill with an X day training time to gate off piloting that hull. That's not an engaging system, it's a freemium game that forgot to give you the option of buying Smurfberries.

And I refuse to be content with "CONTRIBUTING" to a fight. New players aren't here to be your little sister, tagging along for the ride. If I can teach a week old player how Duffo did what he did, there's no reason they should be prevented from replicating that.

Following suit, responses in bold:
Rivr Luzade wrote:
It is not about realizing whether something is great or not before you play it. Why? Isn't a game about being played and experienced?

It is about doing some research an activity and evaluating base on that research whether you want to invest time and money into the skill training. With what game experience?

However, if you already stop before the research and think, that's not worth your sub, your idea was indeed not great and your way to play games is neither wanted nor welcome in this hobby/game. What prerogative is there deciding what subs CCP and the game deserve?

Daichi Yamato wrote:
Its not like 40% of the population are going to follow you.

Actually, supposedly, 50% already have.

Source

Warm memo that subscriber amount is overall less important for sustaining more subs than a decent amount of characters playing the game.

"SP is helpful for the game?" Here's all of the research on motivation -- it says the opposite! What purpose does it serve, then? Starter corps are non-competitive. Sov is unchallenged. "Fix sov!" you say? Remove SP.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#186 - 2015-09-14 11:11:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
It is absolutely what you state. You have been doing nothing but stating that any activity in the game is barred and gated behind massive SP walls that are prohibiting people from experiencing content and activities in the game. This is simply not true. It is, certainly, true that you are not as effective with your 5M SP in a BS as a char with 20M or 50M combat focused SP, but you can use the same tool. If you want to become as efficient (as far as SP go to make you efficient), you have to train to be as good as them. It's simple as that, and for the game this is a good way to function and provide long-term goals.

And in order to play the game, you do some research, see whether you could like something and then invest the time and effort into getting it. This is called experimenting and personal judgment capabilities.

You do not need comprehensive experience in the game after you watched a video or two to decide whether you want to try out a Solo Sleipnir or Solor Geddon or a Sub-Cap Blap Phoenix. It is about your own personal capability to judge whether you could like something or not and based on that judgment you start training for it and do further research. Personally, I can gather a lot of information from a video, and I am absolutely capable of determining whether I want to invest SP into a certain area or not from watching a video or two or three. I expect this same level or judgment capability from other players. Period. If they do not have it or are not willing to acquire it, they can unsub before trying something new and something they do not know.

The same prerogative that you employ in trying to force a playstyle on EVE that is not suitable for the game and does not match the game's principles? The same prerogative that you employ in introducing something to the game that virtually no other game follows or blaming dwindling subscriptions and kiddies leaving the game before they can grasp what's going on something that virtually every other game uses as well? Stop throwing stones in your glass house.

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Daichi Yamato
#187 - 2015-09-14 11:18:45 UTC
So now youre trying to say that everyone whos left between 2013 and now left because they couldnt fly a carrier from day one?

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#188 - 2015-09-14 11:34:44 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
So now youre trying to say that everyone whos left between 2013 and now left because they couldnt fly a carrier from day one?

I just took the time to read through the last five pages, and I can't figure out what he's trying to say besides spewing various flavors of entitlement all over the thread.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Arla Sarain
#189 - 2015-09-14 12:27:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Arla Sarain
Rivr Luzade wrote:
It is, certainly, true that you are not as effective with your 5M SP in a BS as a char with 20M or 50M combat focused SP, but you can use the same tool. If you want to become as efficient (as far as SP go to make you efficient), you have to train to be as good as them. It's simple as that, and for the game this is a good way to function and provide long-term goals.

That's fine and dandy in principle.

But as it stands playing with a 5mill SP character in a game with even 30mill SP characters is like swimming across a Sea instead of taking a boat. Sure, it is mechanically possible, but not realistic. If there was a margin of error large enough for people to compensate with actual real skill rather than stats then it'd be a fine gameplay pillar. But this is a numbers game. Hence the perception that you do nothing but wait till you arbitrarily pass the entry barrier. Which is even worse than grinding because you commit real money for what is seemingly no action time. You can argue as much as you want that, in the meantime, one can go and do whatever they want. There are very few mechanics that allow that... Siphoning would have been a fun activity newbros could have affected the game's landscape with whilst waiting to train into HACs or whatever meta stuff is, if it wasn't so API butchered...
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#190 - 2015-09-14 14:02:14 UTC
You do not need to wait. The character bazaar is there for a reason.

What I find intriguing, however, is that a person should be entitled to expect that they get as much candy as a person who has played for years to get that candy. You start a game after thousands others have been playing it. This is the case for literally all MMO that have been on the market for years.

I also do not see why a person should be able to get straight into a HAC from day one, or a BS or Bomber or Capital (right now it doesn't even matter as caps are marginalized to mostly ratting toys), just because people have been pampered by society and other stupid game developers and developments into this kind of behavior. You start this game as a complete Noob, a no body, behave like one. You can have PVP in frigates 2 days after you started the game (1.5 days even), you can rat in a frigate and destroyer from day 1 and earn a lot of money. You can explore and find things like complexes and wormholes for your corp. You can fly around your Null sec space and look for targets so that others can join in and fight them. However, you are not entitled to expect to fly T2 ships from day one, this is not how this type of progression works. And it is for the better that you cannot because these ships are expensive and you cannot afford expensive. Unless you want to dump in lots of money via Plex and then you could have bought a proper char on the bazaar to begin with and at least have enough SP to fly these things.

I highly doubt that siphons are anything for new players. They cost 10M to buy/build if you are lucky. Even if the API wasn't butchered, a ceptor patrol around the area by the tower holders can still quickly remove them. It takes hours on the highest end moons to get that investment money back. And it takes even longer to get the money to buy them in the first place. Furthermore, as it apparently is the case, people wouldn't even know which towers to siphon. Siphoning a Cobalt or Atmospheric Gases tower is clearly going to be amazing. And how do you get that stuff out of it? They cannot even cloak. A couple of seconds to long uncloaked on the grid and the tower shreds you.

There are manifold things for people to do nearly right away, but what you and Dror seem to expect that people should be able to do right away are things that require more than a big bank account.

Dror
Gallente Federation
#191 - 2015-09-14 17:01:29 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
It is absolutely what you state. You have been doing nothing but stating that any activity in the game is barred and gated behind massive SP walls that are prohibiting people from experiencing content and activities in the game. This is simply not true.

This seems a sort of reoccurring idea, so here. What is a main, alternative reason that characters would unsub? Ganking? That's been disproven and, in fact, is shown (in development keynotes) that the opposite is true. The characters who got ganked had the highest retention rate (1% of the study group), the ones who had gotten in a wardec or other purposeful engagement had slightly less retention (13.5%), and the ones who lost no ships were most likely to unsub (85.5%). As for account cancellation, less than 1% cited ship loss / harassment as the reason. That seems plenty of evidence against PvP being the deterring factor of the game, frankly.

If there's no alternative for the idea that SP limitations are unrewarding, then what basis is there for deemphasizing SP as a problem?

From one of the keynotes, the goals for fresh subs:

• Confidence
  • Progress
  • Purpose
  • Excitement

• Does SP promote literally any of these? In fact, what happens when a ship fitting is found, but it doesn't fit? Plausibly, a program like EFT would be downloaded, which shows not only a list of reasons why that's so, but also the ships performance next to Lvl 5s. The point is that figuring out how much training the game requires ("for decent effectiveness" at this point, because min-maxing is common in all games) becomes apparent. For "the type of playstyles that should be welcome to the game", as it's put in some of these replies, it becomes apparent just how ineffective any one ship is. How much more for the less "initialized" style of sub? Yet the truth is that these biases and stereotypes are unfounded and silly. A lot of the statistics for the keynotes aren't discussing the mobile game demographic, it's discussing those that have (beyond a starter account!) subbed for the game.

Rivr Luzade wrote:
    The character bazaar is there for a reason.

Dror wrote:
    What if a movie star finds the game? What's the likelihood of being interested in a spaceship game that only allows frigates for the majority of beginner action? ..What about for flying anything? The more interesting design is the system with the most chance of being suggested after playing it.Even if the movie star can afford a character, the low chance of that also being plausible or interesting for the relevant "crew", whether acquaintances or social media followers, disincentivizes that chain reaction -- in other words, if there's nothing to talk about, there's nothing to recommend.

Subs are important for the company and the game, as stated in the company's videos. "Better players.. because the best players are the ones that stay. It should scale well, in case there are tons of players coming in from 'This is EVE'. Players as content.. because that's great for setting up a lot of gameplay."

..Or why fresh subs are great for veterans: "Having friends that could get in the game but haven't. A lot of our best content comes from new players -- they're enthusiastic.. some are less than experienced, so they are great targets. New players as recruits.."

Even the company sets up fresh subs as great for content.

Daichi Yamato
    #192 - 2015-09-14 18:15:36 UTC
    And the amount of players who left the game because they couldnt train fast enough/didnt want to train at all were?

Rivr Luzade
    Coreli Corporation
    Pandemic Legion
    #193 - 2015-09-14 18:27:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
    The alternative reason is that those who unsub because they cannot get the kind of instant action they want are trying to play a game that is not made for them and should not be made for them. Even if you made all ships and modules available to players right from the start, without skilling (whether by grinding (and this is never to be implemented in EVE. Grind mechanics to gain SP/improve skills in something in MMO have time and again proven to be a terrible mechanic.) or time-based) an AF is worse than a a T1 frigate, a HAC is worse than a T1 frigate simply because they cost way too much. Skilling is fundamental to any game that has some kind of long-term orientation; and EVE is the epitome of long-term orientation.

A player builds Confidence over time from the small tools up to the big tools. Players in EVE learn to play the game with frigates, learn to kill people with frigates and, most importantly, learn the basics of the game in affordable tools. Frigates also offer the kind of instant, up close action.

A player progresses. Over time. Even when they do not play or cannot play. You can always skill as long as you are subscribed. You also progress with the personal skills. You learn to fight in frigates, reach a point where you want to start engaging bigger ships and learn to fly bigger ships. You research about the ships, about the capabilities, you ask people how to fly one, what to avoid, what you can engage. Or if you are an industry player, you start with building small things (modules, frigates, rigs) and as you skill more, progress into producing larger things, more things, higher volumes, for more hubs. Or you want to take on the challenge to find an corp/alliance that you want to supply with ships/modules.

A player finds their purpose by joining a player corp/alliance and fulfills duties, like scouting, logistics, supplying the alliance, working as master tackler, as a perfect bait cyno or hot-drop cyno. Or they find their purpose in monopolizing a trade hub over time (such thing is currently underway), or be a dedicated capital supplier for the greater populace of EVE (such thing already exists successfully for years) or become a leading force in finding and mapping wormhole connection (also exists). Or you want to be the theory crafter par excellence for frigate/cruiser/whatever ship fitting and show everyone that you can come up with amazing fittings for a variety of situations (very important role in many alliances). There are plenty purposes that someone can chose as their goal in EVE.

A player finds excitement by doing something. You can find a ton of excitement in frigates. You can even find a lot of excitement in a badly skilled cruiser if you work as a bait for a group. Players need to be made aware of these things. And players need to be educated that flying a HAC is simply not something you start with. If you want to, and waste tons of time, you get an account and buy a suitable character for that purpose and (hopefully, as you are a moron) realize what big mistake you made. Or you enjoy it and are really an amazing fast learner and get the hang on flying a HAC or BS without losing billions in ISK. that's also fine. I highly doubt that, however, as most people do not quite have the brain capacity for that. Those, who have it, do not to be told these kinds of things in the first place.

What all this requires, however, is time. If you are not willing to invest time, EVE is not for you. Fresh and new subs are nice, however, bending and breaking the game for the sake of making the underdeveloped, uncivilized, unskilled, unintelligent, impatient, ruined masses stay in the game is not the way to go -- ought not the way to go.

Personal opinion: Slaughtering new players is not something I think of as "great targets". They cause a laugh or a chuckle, but since they do not know what they are doing. It's a kill mail, but certainly none that I consider a great achievement. However, judging by your comments, some other people's comments, by the comment from CCP and by the general societal development in EVE, I am afraid that I am nearly alone with this sentiment. vOv

Dror
    Gallente Federation
    #194 - 2015-09-14 21:04:44 UTC
    Rivr Luzade wrote:
    The alternative reason is that those who unsub because they cannot get the kind of instant action they want are trying to play a game that is not made for them and should not be made for them.

What fantasy land is it where SP brings in heaps of subscribers?

Kaarous Aldurald
    Black Hydra Consortium.
    #195 - 2015-09-14 21:07:21 UTC
    Dror wrote:
    Rivr Luzade wrote:
    The alternative reason is that those who unsub because they cannot get the kind of instant action they want are trying to play a game that is not made for them and should not be made for them.

What fantasy land is it where SP brings in heaps of subscribers?

It's certainly one of the things keeping me subbed to EVE. The skillpoint system as it stands is extremely casual friendly, since even someone with severely limited playtime like me can earn progression. If this were like WoW, where nothing advances without significant playtime investments and the whole game is structured to favor no-lifers, I simply would not play it.

I'm not alone either, not by a long shot.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Dror
    Gallente Federation
    #196 - 2015-09-14 21:15:54 UTC
    Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
    It's certainly one of the things keeping me subbed to EVE. The skillpoint system as it stands is extremely casual friendly, since even someone with severely limited playtime like me can earn progression. If this were like WoW, where nothing advances without significant playtime investments and the whole game is structured to favor no-lifers, I simply would not play it.

I'm not alone either, not by a long shot.

Except, WoW provides almost-max level characters for money now, albeit a pretty low price -- some free.

Daichi Yamato
    #197 - 2015-09-14 21:59:27 UTC
    And it loses subscribers like a bucket with no bottom if they dont constantly create new expansions.

Progression and character development, character investment, is an attractive gaming experience for many and it keeps people playing for the next goal and then the next and the next.

Thats why they added such mechanics to just about every genre in gaming.

Dror
    Gallente Federation
    #198 - 2015-09-14 22:02:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Dror
    Daichi Yamato wrote:
    And it loses subscribers like a bucket with no bottom if they dont constantly create new expansions.

The only reason WoW is ECMing its sub numbers is because of some funky design decisions, like messing with professions. Most of the gameplay is solid, even after multiple tunings. It's getting boring, because it's not a full MMO. That's apprently plenty of reason to unsub.

Quote:
    Progression and character development, character investment, is an attractive gaming experience for many and it keeps people playing for the next goal and then the next and the next.

So, logically, non-progression would keep a similar demographic unsubbed?

Kaarous Aldurald
    Black Hydra Consortium.
    #199 - 2015-09-14 23:59:01 UTC
    Daichi Yamato wrote:

And lately, even if they do.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Daichi Yamato
    #200 - 2015-09-15 00:02:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Daichi Yamato
    No, its been a trend with wow for years. It was more severe recently because they didnt release an expansion for longer than usual. Supposedly because they were focusing on other games.

And yes 40% of players who finish levelling up their raven leave.