These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Plex hits 1b ISK in Jita

First post
Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#621 - 2015-09-21 23:54:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Market McSelling Alt wrote:
Anne Dieu-le-veut wrote:
Assuming for argument's sake the number of people buying PLEX from CCP is down, maybe it's because ISK is so easy to make, fewer people feel the need to spend money for PLEX for a quick infusion of ISK. This would lead space rich people are to offer to pay more to entice someone to sell them one.

It doesn't matter to me if PLEX is $19.95 or $14.95 when it comes to deciding if I am going to buy one. If they dropped the price to $14.95 tomorrow, I still wouldn't buy any, because I don't need the ISK, and if I did, I'd still sell it for as much as I could get, and not pass my savings on to the user.

Or that there is nothing in game to spend said isk on. No conflict drivers, no shinny things, no capitals, no end game goods.

Deflation is starting to show up in several areas of the market recently, not just T3 prices, T2 mods and rigs, but also in certain mineral and ice markets as well. Pith/Gist stuff was just the beginning. Even the LP store for SoE is taking a hit right now.

Everything is costing less on the market, there is less need to buy it and there is less people buying. Thus Plex rises because Out of game supply is diminished, and in game demand increases (Not going to pay real money myself to play a game im not enjoying, but will use in-game assets to keep the skill queue running)

Well prices might be dropping, but not due to deflation…unless you got some reason for us to believe that the amount of ISK in the economy is shrinking.

Sheesh...I blew that. Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#622 - 2015-09-21 23:56:28 UTC
That is what I got on about lots. Isk should be cyclical. It isnt small ships, but large losses to make a gain should be a norm so over time, if a warmonger, your wins can come at a cost which over time can fall apart, like the empires of old. The isk in system will stay there unless a player goes. Plexes should be just a side benefit to skilled play, not an expectation of play. If we fix play, plex prices will find a nice medium determined by the value sellers put on isk to dollars.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#623 - 2015-09-22 00:01:38 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Anne Dieu-le-veut wrote:
Assuming for argument's sake the number of people buying PLEX from CCP is down, maybe it's because ISK is so easy to make, fewer people feel the need to spend money for PLEX for a quick infusion of ISK. This would lead space rich people are to offer to pay more to entice someone to sell them one.

It doesn't matter to me if PLEX is $19.95 or $14.95 when it comes to deciding if I am going to buy one. If they dropped the price to $14.95 tomorrow, I still wouldn't buy any, because I don't need the ISK, and if I did, I'd still sell it for as much as I could get, and not pass my savings on to the user.

Or that there is nothing in game to spend said isk on. No conflict drivers, no shinny things, no capitals, no end game goods.

Deflation is starting to show up in several areas of the market recently, not just T3 prices, T2 mods and rigs, but also in certain mineral and ice markets as well. Pith/Gist stuff was just the beginning. Even the LP store for SoE is taking a hit right now.

Everything is costing less on the market, there is less need to buy it and there is less people buying. Thus Plex rises because Out of game supply is diminished, and in game demand increases (Not going to pay real money myself to play a game im not enjoying, but will use in-game assets to keep the skill queue running)

Well prices might be dropping, but not due to deflation…unless you got some reason for us to believe that the amount of ISK in the economy is shrinking.

Deflation by definition is the price of goods dropping. Doesn't matter why for this discussion. Isk availability shrinking is one of the ways deflation could happen.

Good example of how money supply has no effect on prices is the current economic conditions of the United States. Their dollar value is rising, but the amount of money being created from thin air has never been higher. Lots of reasons for Inflation, Stagflation and Deflation.

Eve is deflating in prices, for many reasons.

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

40.7% Join a fleet. The idea that Eve is a PVP game is false, the social fabric is in Missions and Mining.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#624 - 2015-09-22 00:08:56 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Anne Dieu-le-veut wrote:

Deflation by definition is the price of goods dropping. Doesn't matter why for this discussion. Isk availability shrinking is one of the ways deflation could happen.

Good example of how money supply has no effect on prices is the current economic conditions of the United States. Their dollar value is rising, but the amount of money being created from thin air has never been higher. Lots of reasons for Inflation, Stagflation and Deflation.

Eve is deflating in prices, for many reasons.

Prices decreasing is not deflation. Deflation is a decrease in the general price level. Typically this can be due to a decrease in the money supply or the velocity of money. Another reason could be excessive risk that leads people to hold cash vs. investing it. Noting some prices have dropped is not really sufficient. It would be like somebody noting that the relative price of computers has been dropping like a rock…so therefore deflation.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Zihao
Doomheim
#625 - 2015-09-22 00:15:33 UTC
It's important to specify when speaking of inflation and deflation whether you mean monetary inflation/deflation or asset inflation/deflation. The two are related, but not necessarily corollaries since a price contraction can occur for reasons other than the value of money going up, eg. a more efficient way of producing something is found or a surplus exists that was unanticipated.

I don't think there's any question that both monetary inflation and many instances of asset deflation can be found in the game. The former coming from plentiful isk fountains like incursions, anomaly and mission bounties, or sleeper loot; and the latter coming from the increasing surplus of goods in the absence of the usual or anticipated rate of destruction.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#626 - 2015-09-22 00:19:40 UTC
Zihao wrote:
It's important to specify when speaking of inflation and deflation whether you mean monetary inflation/deflation or asset inflation/deflation. The two are related, but not necessarily corollaries since a price contraction can occur for reasons other than the value of money going up, eg. a more efficient way of producing something is found or a surplus exists that was unanticipated.

I don't think there's any question that both monetary inflation and many instances of asset deflation can be found in the game. The former coming from plentiful isk fountains like incursions, anomaly and mission bounties, or sleeper loot; and the latter coming from the increasing surplus of goods in the absence of the usual or anticipated rate of destruction.

Well said.

Tiberius Heth
Doomheim
#627 - 2015-09-22 00:21:25 UTC

Deflation by definition is the price of goods dropping. Doesn't matter why for this discussion.

What?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#628 - 2015-09-22 00:22:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Teckos Pech wrote:
I am not mixing anything. That graph with the horizontal supply is the RL PLEX market. The subsequent graphs are the in-game market, which I note rather explicitly by writing something to the effect, “The effect on the in-game market….”

The mixing I'm talking about is the quantity, that has no sensible meaning in the RL market. It only means something on the in-game market, where it may start affecting (or effecting) the kind of interplay we expect between supply and demand.

Quote:
Why do you keep calling the RL market a non-market? It is a market. A commodity is sold there are buyers and there is a seller. It’s pretty obvious, it is a market.
I'm calling it a non-market because there is no supply-demand relationship; no way of establishing price or quantity as a function of either, or vice versa. The forces that are supposed to determine all of this don't exist — it's a single source with an infinite supply at a fixed price, and there is no opposition, reinforcement, or push-back to any of this within this exchange. Almost all market dynamics are disabled. We can assume that price will change the quantity, but we cannot predict how (or even if it will at all) since we don't have the relevant opposing market forces that are supposed to intercept each other at a specific point.

Quote:
“The elasticity means that the demand is the quantity”? I’m sorry but what? And if demand is identical to quantity…are you implying that the demand is perfectly inelastic
I'm saying that demand is not contingent on anything else that appears in this “market”, and that quantity holds no useful meaning. They do have meaning once we move to the in-game market, and this may carry back to the OOG “market”, but that doesn't help much since, again, the OOG “market” is almost static.

Quote:
The in-game market is related to the RL market and vice-versa. As the in-game price goes up, the RL implicit exchange rate changes so that ISK becomes relatively cheaper—i.e. people using PLEX to fatten their wallet will find RL PLEX relatively cheaper. And if there is a change in RL demand (e.g. fewer players buying PLEX because they have left the game) then that will have an effect on the in-game market (e.g. a price increase). There are definitely feedbacks between the two, but that does not mean that standard supply and demand analysis cannot be used to show why prices can be going up for reasons no more nefarious than fewer players reducing the demand in the RL market, which then translate into a reduced supply in game, and then adding on the inclusion of additional items people buy in game with PLEX causing an increase in demand (outward shift). All of these would result in price increases.
And the point is twofold: one is that you have to start in-game to determine the OOG demand and quantity — we can't find them by looking at the OOG model. Yes, there are feedbacks between the two, but all that can happen on the OOG side is that quantity and demand changes (since everything else is static)…

And the other point is that those two parameters are already fully contained by the in-game model. So what does looking at the OOG model even give us? We can't use supply-demand analysis on the RL market because the price is fixed and supply always matches demand. We have completely arbitrary or completely tautological intercepts that tell us nothing new. We have no way of telling how OOG pricing will affect quantity because there is no variance to analyse and no intercepts (or infinite intercepts) to track. We cannot decouple IG from the OOG demands in a way that lets us say anything about how the OOG “market” would respond to OOG change.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your conclusions about the price increases — just questioning what the OOG part is good for and how it is represented. At most, we could take the IG supply; try to translate backwards it into OOG demand; and then speculate about what a RL price change would do to the quantity (and consequently on the IG supply-demand-price relationship) but we'd still miss any kind of empirical data to actually prove these assumptions. It's still just the same assumption and any “conclusion” is effectively begging the question.
Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#629 - 2015-09-22 00:37:25 UTC
Tiberius Heth wrote:
Cancel Align NOW wrote:
I agree with you again. (Oh dear what is happening to me). The days when a group would lose 200 tengus, 100 HACs and 30 logi which need all needed to be replaced within 48 hours seem to be gone.

To kick start the isk inflation CCP should present some speculative concepts that make supers and titans very attractive for vets whilst offering plex sales.

Your (not so) hidden agenda is showing.

Just offering a potential temporary solution. FYI I am firm beliver in death to all supers. FYI I personally would rather see plex prices rise in game than stabalise or fall.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#630 - 2015-09-22 00:41:45 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
I am not mixing anything. That graph with the horizontal supply is the RL PLEX market. The subsequent graphs are the in-game market, which I note rather explicitly by writing something to the effect, “The effect on the in-game market….”

The mixing I'm talking about is the quantity, that has no sensible meaning in the RL market. It only means something on the in-game market, where it may start affecting (or effecting) the kind of interplay we expect between supply and demand.

Quote:
Why do you keep calling the RL market a non-market? It is a market. A commodity is sold there are buyers and there is a seller. It’s pretty obvious, it is a market.
I'm calling it a non-market because there is no supply-demand relationship; no way of establishing price or quantity as a function of either, or vice versa. The forces that are supposed to determine all of this don't exist — it's a single source with an infinite supply at a fixed price, and there is no opposition, reinforcement, or push-back to any of this within this exchange. Almost all market dynamics are disabled. We can assume that price will change the quantity, but we cannot predict how (or even if it will at all) since we don't have the relevant opposing market forces that are supposed to intercept each other at a specific point.

Quote:
“The elasticity means that the demand is the quantity”? I’m sorry but what? And if demand is identical to quantity…are you implying that the demand is perfectly inelastic
I'm saying that demand is not contingent on anything else that appears in this “market”, and that quantity holds no useful meaning. They do have meaning once we move to the in-game market, and this may carry back to the OOG “market”, but that doesn't help much since, again, the OOG “market” is almost static.

Quote:
The in-game market is related to the RL market and vice-versa. As the in-game price goes up, the RL implicit exchange rate changes so that ISK becomes relatively cheaper—i.e. people using PLEX to fatten their wallet will find RL PLEX relatively cheaper. And if there is a change in RL demand (e.g. fewer players buying PLEX because they have left the game) then that will have an effect on the in-game market (e.g. a price increase). There are definitely feedbacks between the two, but that does not mean that standard supply and demand analysis cannot be used to show why prices can be going up for reasons no more nefarious than fewer players reducing the demand in the RL market, which then translate into a reduced supply in game, and then adding on the inclusion of additional items people buy in game with PLEX causing an increase in demand (outward shift). All of these would result in price increases.
And the point is twofold: one is that you have to start in-game to determine the OOG demand and quantity — we can't find them by looking at the OOG model. Yes, there are feedbacks between the two, but all that can happen on the OOG side is that quantity and demand changes (since everything else is static)…

And the other point is that those two parameters are already fully contained by the in-game model. So what does looking at the OOG model even give us? We can't use supply-demand analysis on the RL market because the price is fixed and supply always matches demand. We have completely arbitrary or completely tautological intercepts that tell us nothing new. We have no way of telling how OOG pricing will affect quantity because there is no variance to analyse and no intercepts (or infinite intercepts) to track. We cannot decouple IG from the OOG demands in a way that lets us say anything about how the OOG “market” would respond to OOG change.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your conclusions about the price increases — just questioning what the OOG part is good for and how it is represented. At most, we could take the IG supply; try to translate backwards it into OOG demand; and then speculate about what a RL price change would do to the quantity (and consequently on the IG supply-demand-price relationship) but we'd still miss any kind of empirical data to actually prove these assumptions. It's still just the same assumption and any “conclusion” is effectively begging the question.

Sure the quantity in the RL market has a sensible meaning. It is the number of PLEX CCP sold and it means something to CCP because they get money for such transactions and can have an effect in game as well. It also means something for the people who bought them, either additional game time or additional items in game.

And yes, it is a market and there is a supply/demand relationship. Say what you will, but it just sounds like metaphysical hogwash to me.

As for the rest of you post, it sounds like hogwash to me. For example, taking in game supply and translating it back to OOG demand. Bunk. People do hold PLEX on their accounts so at any given time the amount of PLEX in game probably exceeds the number of PLEX bought. It just looks like a whole lot of hand waving to me.

Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#631 - 2015-09-22 00:41:51 UTC
Tiberius Heth wrote:

Deflation by definition is the price of goods dropping. Doesn't matter why for this discussion.

What?

Apparantely you are getting the cause of most types of Inflation/Deflation confused with the actual definition of Deflation.

Let me help you out

As you can see, money supply is credited as the often likely cause. In the case of our Eve Economy, it likely is not. Oversupply of raw materials is likely the cause of deflation in Eve.

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

40.7% Join a fleet. The idea that Eve is a PVP game is false, the social fabric is in Missions and Mining.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#632 - 2015-09-22 00:51:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Teckos Pech wrote:
Sure the quantity in the RL market has a sensible meaning. It is the number of PLEX CCP sold and it means something to CCP because they get money for such transactions and can have an effect in game as well. It also means something for the people who bought them, either additional game time or additional items in game.
Ok, yes, fine. The quantity holds no meaning in the context of determining how supply, demand, and price relate to each other in the OOG “market”.

Quote:
And yes, it is a market and there is a supply/demand relationship.
Only in the useless sense that supply = demand = quantity @ fixed price at any and all points. It tells us nothing.

Quote:
As for the rest of you post, it sounds like hogwash to me. For example, taking in game supply and translating it back to OOG demand. Bunk. People do hold PLEX on their accounts so at any given time the amount of PLEX in game probably exceeds the number of PLEX bought.
Yes. That's kind of the point. We can try. We can speculate. We can't actually conclude anything because any such conclusion is effectively just restating the initial assumption, meaning we're begging the question. We can't actually determine what would happen on the OOG side due to the aforementioned tautological relationship on that “market”.

We can analyse the in-game market, and that's well and fine. If we try to conclude anything about the out-of-game (non)market based on this, we're instantly just speculating.
Zihao
Doomheim
#633 - 2015-09-22 00:56:43 UTC

As you can see, money supply is credited as the often likely cause. In the case of our Eve Economy, it likely is not. Oversupply of raw materials is likely the cause of deflation in Eve.

I'd be curious to know why you think monetary inflation isn't also a culprit. I don't have any reason to suppose that both aren't a strong factor or that one is stronger than the other, but plentiful reminders can be found here that "incursions and high class wh are the best isk/hr," and these are rather explicitly pumping isk into the economy.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#634 - 2015-09-22 01:03:17 UTC

The SOE LP hit may be a localised phenonema related to burners.

However as a case in point it seems to me the volume of PI being traded this month is around half what was being traded in the same period last year though I have limited access to accurate figures.
Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#635 - 2015-09-22 01:11:03 UTC
Zihao wrote:

I'd be curious to know why you think monetary inflation isn't also a culprit. I don't have any reason to suppose that both aren't a strong factor or that one is stronger than the other, but plentiful reminders can be found here that "incursions and high class wh are the best isk/hr," and these are rather explicitly pumping isk into the economy.

Because monetary inflation wouldn't cause prices to drop... Shocked

Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#636 - 2015-09-22 01:12:08 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:

The SOE LP hit may be a localised phenonema related to burners.

However as a case in point it seems to me the volume of PI being traded this month is around half what was being traded in the same period last year though I have limited access to accurate figures.

You are correct, LP values are just a localized part of the economy. But it was just one of the examples for how asset deflation is taking hold in a shrinking game economy.

Zihao
Doomheim
#637 - 2015-09-22 01:14:04 UTC
Zihao wrote:

The two aren't mutually exclusive though. Specifically, isk spent on PLEX or not spent at all doesn't can't drive asset prices up. The existence of isk along is not sufficient to cause general asset inflation. Players have to compete for those items to drive the price up.
Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#638 - 2015-09-22 01:16:43 UTC
Zihao wrote:
Zihao wrote:

The two aren't mutually exclusive though. Specifically, isk spent on PLEX or not spent at all doesn't can't drive asset prices up. The existence of isk along is not sufficient to cause general asset inflation. Players have to compete for those items to drive the price up.

That is exactly what I said. But for some reason you are trying to make a point about monetary inflation that simply is having no effect on asset prices.

Monetary inflation effecting Plex? Yes
Asset deflation effecting Plex? Yes
Monetary inflation causing asset deflation... lol no

Zihao
Doomheim
#639 - 2015-09-22 01:25:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Zihao
You didn't specify asset deflation in the post I quoted.

Obviously, I agree that monetary inflation does not cause asset deflation.

Monetary inflation causing asset deflation... lol no

Also

monetary inflation that simply is having no effect on asset prices.

It certainly would have an effect on any asset that players still demand. I don't know if any of those still exist, but I would assume some do.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#640 - 2015-09-22 05:05:45 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Ok, yes, fine. The quantity holds no meaning in the context of determining how supply, demand, and price relate to each other in the OOG “market”.

Quote:
And yes, it is a market and there is a supply/demand relationship.
Only in the useless sense that supply = demand = quantity @ fixed price at any and all points. It tells us nothing.

Quote:
As for the rest of you post, it sounds like hogwash to me. For example, taking in game supply and translating it back to OOG demand. Bunk. People do hold PLEX on their accounts so at any given time the amount of PLEX in game probably exceeds the number of PLEX bought.
Yes. That's kind of the point. We can try. We can speculate. We can't actually conclude anything because any such conclusion is effectively just restating the initial assumption, meaning we're begging the question. We can't actually determine what would happen on the OOG side due to the aforementioned tautological relationship on that “market”.

We can analyse the in-game market, and that's well and fine. If we try to conclude anything about the out-of-game (non)market based on this, we're instantly just speculating.

You overstate your case with regards to the RL market, IMO. Yes the supply IG is larger, but that does not mean that the RL market plays no role. My view is that the IG market is a function of what people are buying to sell and what people sell from their existing stock. For example, Kaarous Aldurald has noted he planned on cashing out at a certain price. That is why I had the IG supply curve with a positive slope--not perfectly elastic--unlike the RL market.

As for supply = demand => a price/quantity pair...yeah...useless. Never mind it is the very definition of market equilibrium.

And I'm not trying to predict anything here. IMO, economics is generally rubbish at predicting things like market up turns, down turns, etc. (and I am an economist if it wasn't obvious). I was merely trying to point out that people posting that there is some sort of manipulation or some other nefarious reason for high PLEX price is not needed. We can look at simply supply and demand analysis and see why the price has gone up.

And while I haven't made the point here, I am probably the last person on these forums who will see market speculation as a bad thing. In fact, I'll say it outright, I think speculation can often be a good thing. It helps ensure that market prices are correct and signalling the appropriate information. Higher prices usually means "we need more resources here now". In regards to PLEX the higher price translates, roughly, into buy more PLEX and sell them in game and fatten up your wallet if you are too lazy or cannot take the time to fatten it up in game.

And we can make some pretty good educated guesses about the RL market too. For example, the RL demand is a function of the number of players. The higher the number of players, the higher the number of PLEX that are being bought. We could probably even restrict that to the number of players logging in. Currently that is down...so players on the RL market buying PLEX is also probably down. Do I know this for a fact? No. But it seems a reasonable guess.

The current situation regarding PLEX price can be summarized thusly:

1. Fewer players buying PLEX on the RL market.
2. That leads to a reduction in supply in game.
3. 1 & 2 translate into higher in game prices for PLEX.
4. Add on the NEX store items and skins which may increase the in game demand for PLEX and we get....
5. An additional increase in PLEX prices.

Some people have brought up the ban on multiplexing and how that should have reduced the price...yeah, maybe. The price did stabilize for quite some time after that...again this fits with a supply and demand analysis. The ban on multiplexing/broadcasting with things like ISBoxer probably reduced the in-game demand...lowering the price or slowing/stopping the rise in prices we have seen in the long term in the time series.

These are reasonable and simple explanations. No need for any sort of complicated theories or explanations. Supply and demand is an amazingly powerful model when used by somebody who knows how to use them.