These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Plex hits 1b ISK in Jita

First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#601 - 2015-09-21 19:33:32 UTC
Aaron wrote:
Why do you think demand has gone down?
Which demand?
Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#602 - 2015-09-21 19:35:51 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Why do you think demand has gone down?
Which demand?

Tippia, Why do you think demand for PLEX has gone down?

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#603 - 2015-09-21 19:36:17 UTC
Aaron wrote:
Which one?
Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#604 - 2015-09-21 19:37:55 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Which one?

Tippia, Why do you think demand for PLEX purchased on the Eve market has gone down?

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#605 - 2015-09-21 19:40:41 UTC
Aaron wrote:
Tippia, Why do you think demand for PLEX purchased on the Eve market has gone down?
Has it?
Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#606 - 2015-09-21 19:50:36 UTC
It's a shame to see that CCP has decided to manipulate the PLEX market to get themselves more money.

They must really need it.

It's also a shame that we can't prove they aren't manipulating the plex market, that we can only speculate and try to pass off our opinions as facts.

Because they totally would, it would be in their best interests, of course.

Everyone knows this, well except for the few people with ailments that are rude to talk about in public.
Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#607 - 2015-09-21 21:02:07 UTC
Nice ninja edit
Zihao
Doomheim
#608 - 2015-09-21 21:51:08 UTC
Political correctness for thee, but not for me.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#609 - 2015-09-21 22:14:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Tippia wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
It assumes that the price elasticity is infinite...i.e. supply is potentially infinite, but when you add in demand you end up with a finite quantity on the market.
I think the fundamental problem is that you're mixing and matching different supplies and demands, and overloading two distinct parameters in one line.

No, there are essentially two markets here.

The first is the RL PLEX market. There the supply is very elastic--i.e. CCP will make as many PLEX as customers demand. If it is 100, they'll make 100. If somebody wants 10,000 they'll sell that many. This is why supply is shown in my graph as horizontal. PLEX are not cars, or tables, or the like. There are really no constraints on how many CCP can produce given that there is a willing buyer. Or as already noted, the only real constraint is the number of PLEX being demanded.

Then, some of the PLEX sold make it into the market in game. The supply there is not like the supply out of game because players cannot create them as costlessly as CCP can.

Quote:
By your graph, demand should go down as supply increase, and that's generally fine and good. But which demand? Since you're talking about RL cost, I can only assume that you also mean RL demand and quantity, but since the supply and price is constant, demand and quantity should be the the exact same — the quantity is the demand. So either you're confusing dependent and independent variable (the demand should really be the x-axis), or the demand shouldn't be represented at all (demand isn't a function of quantity here). Or you're mixing markets, which also means the demand shouldn't be represented. I'm tempted to say that demand should be constant in that graph, but it really shouldn't — it's just not contingent on anything else shown in the graph.

No. You are confusing the quantity on the market (due to the intersection of supply and demand) with demand and that is wrong. What we observe in any market is the quantity that results from the intersection of supply and demand. And the x-axis is quantity. That is almost always the case in graphical supply and demand analysis (yes, it is backwards from standard math, but that is the convention is economics, blame Alfred Marshall). And the quantity demanded is function of price.

And demand in the RL market exists and is a function of price. If this were not the case there’d be no market. You need supply and demand for there to be a market.

Quote:
I think what I'm trying to say is that: what are you actually trying to show here? That as supply remains constant (and infinite) and demand goes down (somehow) as quantity goes up, the two… do what? That price and supply are independent from quantity (which begs he question — it's the premise of the red line)? It looks like you're either massively overcomplicating things, or directly confusing what's what by trying to have in-game and out-of-game markets appear in the same graph.

If you're going to do a supply-demand analysis on a single good that isn't even a market — viz. real-life PLEX sales — you end up with something like this.

No, it is very simple. CCP faces very little costs when issuing a PLEX. So small I’m setting the supply curve to being perfectly elastic. Supply cannot be both constant and infinite by the way. The price however is constant, or at least it has been so far. And what do you mean by “demand goes down” do you mean a movement along the demand curve, a movement of the demand curve? They are very different. For example, if incomes go up, then the demand curve itself moves. It would shift outward in the graph I have drawn. If incomes go down, then it would shift inwards. To move along the demand curve, CCP would have to change the price of PLEX. And price and supply are not independent of price. The price determines the supply curve; that is what it means when a good is perfectly elastic.

Interesting graph, but not really valid for doing supply and demand analysis. That looks more like a time series of the quantity of PLEX over time. The supply and demand analysis I’m showing is for an instant in time, not time series. You cannot use time series data to get a demand or a supply function. The problem is that each point in the time series is the result of the intersection of supply and demand—i.e. you have an identification problem meaning you’d have to use something like two-stage least squares to estimate either the demand or supply curves, but not both.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Zihao
Doomheim
#610 - 2015-09-21 22:21:24 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

CCP faces very little costs when issuing a PLEX.

Their cost to generate the pixels that correspond to a PLEX is effectively irrelevant; however, their revenue being predicated on a certain percentage of their income coming from the more-valuable (PLEX) avenue over the less valuable (sub, especially long-term sub) is what you will need to contend with.

It's quite possible that reducing PLEX to a level closer to that of sub cost would not bring in or retain sufficient subscribers to off-set the loss and there's no way you can accurately model that with the information we have.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#611 - 2015-09-21 22:28:59 UTC
Zihao wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

CCP faces very little costs when issuing a PLEX.

Their cost to generate the pixels that correspond to a PLEX is effectively irrelevant; however, their revenue being predicated on a certain percentage of their income coming from the more-valuable (PLEX) avenue over the less valuable (sub, especially long-term sub) is what you will need to contend with.

It's quite possible that reducing PLEX to a level closer to that of sub cost would not bring in or retain sufficient subscribers to off-set the loss and there's no way you can accurately model that with the information we have.

I pretty much agree. The cost is irrelevant (or it is very, very small). And I agree, that lowering the price of PLEX out of game may not offset the loss from having a lower price. It all depends on the price elasticity of demand. If it is more elastic (i.e. a small price decrease results in a larger increase in the quantity demanded) then it’s all good. If on the other hand it is more inelastic, then decreasing the price may end up costing CCP revenues. And nobody has the answer to that, maybe not even CCP as I noted, one of the problems with trying to identify the demand curve is you have to have a variable that will shift the supply curve. But the only real way to do that…would be to change the price. And even then there is the issue of does the demand exhibit a constant elasticity? A linear demand curve does not have a constant elasticity, but a region that elastic, unit elastic, and inelastic.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#612 - 2015-09-21 22:48:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Teckos Pech wrote:
No, there are essentially two markets here.
I understand that. The problem is that you're mixing them up in a very unclear way in your graph and not actually displaying what a supply-demand graph normally shows.

You list the RL price, so we have to assume that the rest is RL as well, but that's where the problem starts: what you're displaying is not actually a market. There is no supply-demand intercept that determines price, and neither supply nor demand are determined by the quantity on the (non)market. Demand may be determined by the quantities available on the in-game market, but then you have the unclear market mixing I'm talking about. It could just be that you need to label each quantity to explain which market you're referring to in order to clear the matter up.

Quote:
No. You are confusing the quantity on the market (due to the intersection of supply and demand) with demand and that is wrong. What we observe in any market is the quantity that results from the intersection of supply and demand. And the x-axis is quantity. That is almost always the case in graphical supply and demand analysis (yes, it is backwards from standard math, but that is the convention is economics, blame Alfred Marshall). And the quantity demanded is function of price.
But that's just it: your graph doesn't really show this.

First, I don't confuse quantity and demand — I'm saying that if this is showing the RL (non)market, which seems reasonable since we're looking at the RL price, then the two are the same: the elasticity means that the demand is the quantity. The two follow in complete lock-step, which goes against intuition and doesn't let us say which is a function of which. The intersection between supply and demand that would normally let us derive an optimal price or expected quantity is entirely arbitrary since the price is fixed, and demand/quantity can be anything along that axis… until we figure out what it is that actually determines the fluctuations in demand and/or quantity so we can put the right value in, which that chart does not let us do. It should actually just be a single line going in the wrong direction trying to intersect with infinity.

Quote:
And demand in the RL market exists and is a function of price. If this were not the case there’d be no market.
That's exactly it: it isn't a market. It's a fixed cost and an infinite supply. No matter how demand moves, those two will not change.

Quote:
No, it is very simple. CCP faces very little costs when issuing a PLEX. So small I’m setting the supply curve to being perfectly elastic. Supply cannot be both constant and infinite by the way.
Sure it can. No matter what, it is always (i.e. constantly) infinite. Nothing affects it short of CCP discontinuing the program.

Semantics aside, we're left with the same fundamental problem regardless: we can either see it as the intersection being completely arbitrary because demand will never intersect with the unlimited supply; or it being completely arbitrary because the completely elastic supply intersects with demand at every point. We end up with a useless non-answer either way.

Quote:
Interesting graph, but not really valid for doing supply and demand analysis.
I know. That was kind of the point. Blink
It's an illustration of what the RL (non)market of PLEX looks like and why we can't use supply-demand analysis on that part, at least not in isolation. We have to start elsewhere.

It provides us with one insight: that out of game, and in isolation, demand ≡ quantity, which is completely contrary to how it should be. To resolve this little paradox, we have to figure out a way to determine what quantity and demand actually look like, and we have to look at the in-game market for that. This will most likely also unveil the fact that the two are not equivalent and that we can indeed set up a regular demand-quantity relationship. With that in hand, we could conceivably go back to the RL market and start experimenting with how quantity would be affected by different price points. We're still not really looking at a market, though, we'd still be looking for a (different) fixed price and an infinite supply.

I think that we basically agree on everything — I'm just taking issue with your representation of the OOG situation as a market that can be analysed according to supply and demand as one would normally do.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#613 - 2015-09-21 22:50:11 UTC
Removed some off color/troll posts. Keep it on topic and civil. Thank you.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Paranoid Loyd
#614 - 2015-09-21 22:55:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
Removed some off color
I see what you did there. Blink

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Anne Dieu-le-veut
Natl Assn for the Advancement of Criminal People
#615 - 2015-09-21 22:58:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Anne Dieu-le-veut
Assuming for argument's sake the number of people buying PLEX from CCP is down, maybe it's because ISK is so easy to make, fewer people feel the need to spend money for PLEX for a quick infusion of ISK. This would lead space rich people are to offer to pay more to entice someone to sell them one.

It doesn't matter to me if PLEX is $19.95 or $14.95 when it comes to deciding if I am going to buy one. If they dropped the price to $14.95 tomorrow, I still wouldn't buy any, because I don't need the ISK, and if I did, I'd still sell it for as much as I could get, and not pass my savings on to the user.
Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#616 - 2015-09-21 23:19:27 UTC
Anne Dieu-le-veut wrote:
Assuming for argument's sake the number of people buying PLEX from CCP is down, maybe it's because ISK is so easy to make, fewer people feel the need to spend money for PLEX for a quick infusion of ISK. This would lead space rich people are to offer to pay more to entice someone to sell them one.

It doesn't matter to me if PLEX is $19.95 or $14.95 when it comes to deciding if I am going to buy one. If they dropped the price to $14.95 tomorrow, I still wouldn't buy any, because I don't need the ISK, and if I did, I'd still sell it for as much as I could get, and not pass my savings on to the user.

Or that there is nothing in game to spend said isk on. No conflict drivers, no shinny things, no capitals, no end game goods.

Deflation is starting to show up in several areas of the market recently, not just T3 prices, T2 mods and rigs, but also in certain mineral and ice markets as well. Pith/Gist stuff was just the beginning. Even the LP store for SoE is taking a hit right now.

Everything is costing less on the market, there is less need to buy it and there is less people buying. Thus Plex rises because Out of game supply is diminished, and in game demand increases (Not going to pay real money myself to play a game im not enjoying, but will use in-game assets to keep the skill queue running)

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

40.7% Join a fleet. The idea that Eve is a PVP game is false, the social fabric is in Missions and Mining.

Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#617 - 2015-09-21 23:40:42 UTC
Market McSelling Alt wrote:
Anne Dieu-le-veut wrote:

Or that there is nothing in game to spend said isk on. No conflict drivers, no shinny things, no capitals, no end game goods.

Deflation is starting to show up in several areas of the market recently, not just T3 prices, T2 mods and rigs, but also in certain mineral and ice markets as well. Pith/Gist stuff was just the beginning. Even the LP store for SoE is taking a hit right now.

Everything is costing less on the market, there is less need to buy it and there is less people buying. Thus Plex rises because Out of game supply is diminished, and in game demand increases (Not going to pay real money myself to play a game im not enjoying, but will use in-game assets to keep the skill queue running)

I agree with you again. (Oh dear what is happening to me). The days when a group would lose 200 tengus, 100 HACs and 30 logi which need all needed to be replaced within 48 hours seem to be gone.

To kick start the isk inflation CCP should present some speculative concepts that make supers and titans very attractive for vets whilst offering plex sales.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#618 - 2015-09-21 23:50:33 UTC
Tippia wrote:

Snipping due to quoting limits. Tippia’s post is here.

I am not mixing anything. That graph with the horizontal supply is the RL PLEX market. The subsequent graphs are the in-game market, which I note rather explicitly by writing something to the effect, “The effect on the in-game market….”

Why do you keep calling the RL market a non-market? It is a market. A commodity is sold there are buyers and there is a seller. It’s pretty obvious, it is a market.

“The elasticity means that the demand is the quantity”? I’m sorry but what? And if demand is identical to quantity…are you implying that the demand is perfectly inelastic

The in-game market is related to the RL market and vice-versa. As the in-game price goes up, the RL implicit exchange rate changes so that ISK becomes relatively cheaper—i.e. people using PLEX to fatten their wallet will find RL PLEX relatively cheaper. And if there is a change in RL demand (e.g. fewer players buying PLEX because they have left the game) then that will have an effect on the in-game market (e.g. a price increase). There are definitely feedbacks between the two, but that does not mean that standard supply and demand analysis cannot be used to show why prices can be going up for reasons no more nefarious than fewer players reducing the demand in the RL market, which then translate into a reduced supply in game, and then adding on the inclusion of additional items people buy in game with PLEX causing an increase in demand (outward shift). All of these would result in price increases. All the various threads about PLEX prices and speculation, hoarding, manipulation, and the like are just errant nonsense that never have a coherent story behind them. Just kooky ranting by people who are annoyed that they can no longer afford the PLEX and play for “free”.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#619 - 2015-09-21 23:52:14 UTC
Anne Dieu-le-veut wrote:

That is why competition is so awesome. It leads to that whether the seller wants to or not.

Tiberius Heth
Doomheim
#620 - 2015-09-21 23:52:15 UTC
Cancel Align NOW wrote:
I agree with you again. (Oh dear what is happening to me). The days when a group would lose 200 tengus, 100 HACs and 30 logi which need all needed to be replaced within 48 hours seem to be gone.

To kick start the isk inflation CCP should present some speculative concepts that make supers and titans very attractive for vets whilst offering plex sales.

Your (not so) hidden agenda is showing.