These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why is it like this?

First post
Author
Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#21 - 2015-08-03 19:13:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Hal Morsh
They have added exploration content throughout the game, also increasing what you can get from highsec, including through wormholes to easy null exploration sites within, but things added in highsec with any player conflict in suspect status removed. Ghost sites don't add a way for players to clash outside of wardecs. They just blow you up if your ship isn't well tanked enough or if you weren't fast enough at fleeing in a smaller ship, no player conflicts.. Ways for people to put themselfs at risk for a peice of someone elses stuff shouldn't be removed. If that were the case why do tractor units cause suspect? That would be easymode too right? if I bump someone off the unit and kill it isn't that around the same level as exploration theft? If so why have one and not the other?

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Austneal
Nero Fazione
#22 - 2015-08-03 19:22:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Austneal
I agree with the OP.

Highsec has been hit with a very large PvP nerfbat lately, which makes the game a bit of a pain to play without being able to devote half of your life + your first born child to it.

Just my opinion (and call me a scrub if you will) but I had unsubbed after feeling more and more like I'm being pushed into low / null. I've just recently re-subbed to see if anything had been added that might make it bit more fun for me, and I'm saddened to see that its only gone further towards "easy mode"

Someone with a grudge or a good threat used to be enough cause for fear... now the only thing to fear are suicide gankers (and bumpers, if you're a miner)
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#23 - 2015-08-03 19:46:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Hal Morsh wrote:
But how would it be my favor?
Because of how S-flagging works.
You do understand how S-flaggin works, right, and how the engagement parameters for the two parties are vastly different — i.e. that it very explicitly and inherently does not “work both ways”? You're just not asking for something that you've vaguely heard about and don't quite fully grasp the repercussions of?

Quote:
I can't really go to low or null
Yes you can. There is literally nothing stopping you. It provides the kind of environment you're asking for (well, aside from it being skewed in your favour) and only you are keeping you from experiencing that environment for some reason. You don't need a wallet; you don't need alts; you don't need anything other than what you'd use in highsec.

Beyond that, the scenario you're asking for actually requires those things more than what the existing environments would ask for you in the same situation.

Quote:
people really don't like it when you learn EVE on their killboards

Nonsense. People love it when you do that — in fact, it's been shown to be a highly effective way to find people you'd want to play with, especially if you're after some excitement. The only instance where anyone would be upset is if you've gotten yourself mired in a particularly toxic corporation and you corp-“mates” are trying to ruin your fun. In that case you absolutely must do the exact opposite, sever immediately, and tell them to f themselves on the way out. You will never find good gameplay with such people.

Quote:
So any excitement where I live would be great.
Stop blaming mechanics and go have some, then, assuming that's what you actually want. But that's not really what you're asking for — you're asking for fights to happen entirely on your terms and with everything set up in your favour. That's not a particularly compelling reason to change anything.

The excitement is there if you just start looking at the terms of the competition you're engaging in, and actively compete in it with the tools at your disposal. Combat is not particularly necessary to create any of that.

Quote:
What i'm saying is I can't compete against Russians camping gates or a bunch of roaming drunk brits.
Good news: both are almost completely irrelevant to what you want to achieve.

The “problem” you're having is a fabrication; it's something you've created for yourself, not something the game forces on you.
Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#24 - 2015-08-03 20:06:38 UTC
I still don't see how suspect is in my favor.

He steals, and he either gets away or I fight him.
I steal, and either I get away or we fight.

They removed PVP from highsec exploration. Competition for a site can't be settled between two in a site. You have to get someone to gank and someone to loot, in stead of the easier (for both parties) "I want your loot, but risk repercussions". Risk reward was fine.

Do you really encourage ganking over two people trying to outdo each other with a PVP risk? An alt to gank and an alt to loot. Forget competion right? "Let's just get 2 accounts and blow them up, or not be involved" is not the better side of things.

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#25 - 2015-08-03 20:19:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Hal Morsh wrote:
I still don't see how suspect is in my favor.
Ok. Then you need to stop asking for it and go read up on how the different criminal flags work, in particular the details of who can do what to whom and under what circumstances. Before you do, you don't understand your own request and simply cannot contribute to the conversation.

Quote:
They removed PVP from highsec exploration. Competition for a site can't be settled between two in a site.
You also need to go read up on what PvP means. No, they have not removed PvP from highsec exploration — it is as much PvP as ever, and all you're showing is that you choose not to compete. Your decision to yield means that the competition has been settled in the site, so your second claim is instantly disproven even if it weren't obviously false to begin with.

Again: you compete by being faster, better, by picking different cans, or, if it comes to that, by blowing the other guy up. Choosing “none of the above” does not mean there is no competition; it means you choose to forfeit. You lose, by choice and by default.

What you want already exists. What you're asking for is tons of advantages for no good reason. What you're asking for also requires all the things you think are obstacles, whereas none of those requirements actually exist at the moment.
Moth Eisig
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2015-08-03 20:32:58 UTC
Hal Morsh wrote:

I can't really go to low or null because I don't have a huge wallet and an army of alts, and people really don't like it when you learn EVE on their killboards.

One character and a covops frigate is all you need to make plenty of isk doing nullsec exploration. And then you can use that to pay for blowing up/losing ships wherever and against whomever you want. Nullsec's really not that scary as long as you put some effort into learning the ropes.
Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#27 - 2015-08-03 20:45:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Hal Morsh
Tippia wrote:
You do understand how S-flaggin works, right, and how the engagement parameters for the two parties are vastly different — i.e. that it very explicitly and inherently does not “work both ways”? You're just not asking for something that you've vaguely heard about and don't quite fully grasp the repercussions of?

Tippia wrote:
Ok. Then you need to stop asking for it and go read up on how the different criminal flags work, in particular the details of who can do what to whom and under what circumstances. Before you do, you don't understand your own request and simply cannot contribute to the conversation.

Trying to derail the topic and point it towards me by repeatedly throwing your opinion at "suspect flag ineptitude" means I am done with talking to you.

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2015-08-03 20:46:48 UTC
Hal Morsh wrote:
What i'm saying is I can't compete against Russians camping gates or a bunch of roaming drunk brits. So removing places to compete with similar minded PVP incompetents is upsetting.
+1 this made me laugh Lol

My first ever kill (100% luck, btw) was a hilarious highsec deathmatch between two month-old wannabe mission baiters/pvp noobs. Neither of us even had a point I think...

That would never had happened in lowsec, where our cute t1-fit t1-cruisers would have very probably been put out of their misery 1 or 2 jumps in from highsec, before even meeting.

Can't see any harm in allowing people to steal your data/relic can, if I correctly understood the mechanics the OP speaks of.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Buoytender Bob
Ronin Exploration Mission and Mining
#29 - 2015-08-03 20:55:09 UTC
You claim that "Asians", "Russians", and ""drunk Brits" are ruining hi-sec exploration or your EVE options?

Perhaps the UN and not CCP should be asked to correct the problem.

Tippia is correct

To buck the popular trend, I began to Rage Start instead of Rage Quit.

...and every time I get another piece of Carbon, I know exactly what CCP is getting this Christmas.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#30 - 2015-08-03 21:01:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Hal Morsh wrote:
Trying to derail the topic

No. Trying to make you understand what it is you're talking about. Without such an understanding, you don't even know what the rails in question look like.

You are asking to be given huge advantages because you want to experience gameplay that is already available to you but which you choose not to engage in for bogus reasons.

I am trying to determine whether you are being dishonest about what you actually want to achieve, or if you're just not familiar enough with the game to understand the reasons for the design and repercussions of changing them. Without that information, discussing your idea becomes pointless. The question of flag ineptitude is for you to answer and establish, but has a huge impact on the validity of your complaint. The fact that you're using bogus reasons for your choices is worrying in and of itself, but at least that provides an implicit explanation for your request.
Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#31 - 2015-08-03 21:06:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Hal Morsh
Tippia wrote:
So what do you suggest to replace them with for the purpose of engaging in warfare with other players?

e: Oh, and no industrialist has ever left the game due to wars — quite the opposite. Wars are what sustain them and give them any reason to play.

There is my argument, suspect status on exploration theft for the
Tippia wrote:
purpose of engaging in warfare with other players
In highsec another way to PVP without wars.

Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#32 - 2015-08-03 21:08:09 UTC
A lot of people like high-sec the way it is. Given that 70% of players choose to spend most if not all of their time here, CCP must be doing something right. Every time I hear someone complain about high-sec - it always seems to be that life is too easy - it's harder to kill people.

Well, if you want to kill people go to low or null or wormhole space. You have no right to expect kills to be handed to you on a silver platter. Industrial players pay their subscriptions and have just as much right to enjoy the game as you do.

And don't worry about high-sec being too easy. As someone who flies freighters through Uedama and Niarga on a regular basis, I can assure you there is plenty of risk here.
Calima Arzi
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2015-08-04 15:06:04 UTC
'They removed PVP from highsec exploration.'

They removed PvP from highsec data and relic sites, where the loot is basically worthless. They did not remove PvP from highsec combat sites, where the loot can be worth tens, even hundreds of millions. If you want PvP in your highsec exploration, run combat sites, and contest those you find other pilots in.
Rhoxy Runekin
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#34 - 2015-08-04 16:48:26 UTC
To answer your initial question:
That's the way it is.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#35 - 2015-08-04 17:21:03 UTC
Hal Morsh wrote:
There is my argument, suspect status on exploration theft for the purpose of engaging in warfare with other players In highsec another way to PVP without wars.
…but as mentioned, S-flags don't work that way so that can't actually happen. They are in every way wholly unsuited for creating wars. That's why I keep asking you to read up on them: because you are proposing stuff that works almost the exact opposite of how you want them to be, for reasons that have no basis in reality and only exist because you have misunderstood what the game has to offer.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#36 - 2015-08-04 17:56:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Vimsy Vortis
I think what the OP is trying to say is "I want people to be able to steal my loot so they go suspect so I can shoot them."

More opportunities to do pvp in highsec is a good idea and I generally support it, but I'm not sure if exploration sites are the first place I'd go to put that in.

The thing that drives me insane is that I can shoot mobile depots at will, but I get concorded for shooting an anchored container. Any small mobile object like that should be shootable on penalty of suspect flag.
Darth Terona
Horde Vanguard.
Pandemic Horde
#37 - 2015-08-04 21:51:41 UTC
Haha. Back in the days.. It was only a mechanic of exploration for a blink of the eye.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#38 - 2015-08-04 21:59:11 UTC
There's actually highsec exploration goodies worth fighting over?

I've been away from exploration far too long.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Orlacc
#39 - 2015-08-04 22:39:50 UTC
Asian?

High sec is for scrub explorers. Period.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#40 - 2015-08-05 00:29:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Hal Morsh
How about you stop telling me I dont know how suspect flags work and apply it to the damn situation. I have no time for trolls.

I ask why suspect flag related combat was removed from exploration theft, and you get into this whole suspect flag thing, and now your incinuating that my thoughts have no basis in reality?? Do you mean EVE? And then you go on to tell me I don't know what EvE has to offer. Well for one they removed something it was offering.

Discuss, don't troll.

Tippia wrote:
Hal Morsh wrote:
But how would it be my favor?

If I loot a yellow wreck the same thing happens to me as another person looting another yellow colored wreck. Is there something I am missing? That used to apply to exploration in highsec, and I am curious "why" they removed it. So instead of telling me "you don't know how S-flags work" how about you tell me why they removed it.