These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Gunjack Discussion Thread

First post
Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#81 - 2015-08-06 00:31:40 UTC
Jevatoxa wrote:
Webvan wrote:
Then if this isn't the new name for Legion, what happened to Legion? Sad
You know, the PC game? Straight

To be fair, I hear CCP have performed a miracle with DUST and 1) turned it profitable and 2) made it worth playing.

I can't verify the latter until I try it myself, but I've added a PS3 to my wedding anniversary wishlist (2nd week of September).

I would love it if they did port it to PC of course, as the PS3 isn't going to last forever. The original plan was, I believe, to transfer the DUST toons to Legion. More info on this required please CCP or else I might end up with a lawnmower for my anniversaryTwisted

This is correct, despite all of the nay saying and misinformation Dust is alive and doing rather well.

I'm not sure why people would be surprised about them giving up the Legion name... they said up front that Legion was merely the in house "code name" for the project. It was never intended to be the final release name of the game.

That's not to say they haven't decided to let DUST continue as is, now that it has it's second wind, but the Legion trademark issue is literally meaningless.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#82 - 2015-08-06 00:33:03 UTC
d0cTeR9 wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
DaReaper wrote:
why would this effect that? this was made by the dust team, not eve team


Because HUURRR DDURRR DUDUD DRRRR HRRRHHHHHHURRRR, apparently. Blink


/Thread

Everyone back to hot dropping supers on TQ.

I KNOW RIGHT?!?
I had to go log into the forum specifically to give that post a thumbs up. Big smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#83 - 2015-08-06 00:35:26 UTC
Masaaq wrote:
Looks all right. Much Pew. Abaddon was pronounced incorrectly though tehe.

SO glad you posted that link before this had a chance to become a "thing".

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#84 - 2015-08-06 02:50:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
So much rage in this thread.

DUST is actually doing well. It is portable--it's built on UNREAL--but there's not a lick of good in porting it before they have the shipping version where they want it. They already made that mistake, remember?

CCP is not going to hype, or even worry about, integration with the EVE Universe until the game is solid. They made that mistake too, with DUST. Remember?

This looks like a good little game. I don't have an Android, so I'm not in the target market, but it looks polished and fun in small doses, which looks about right for a phone game.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#85 - 2015-08-06 08:47:29 UTC
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#86 - 2015-08-06 11:09:25 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
its a simple game, did not take much resources form it seem seems like. My guess is its using some scrapped valk code. If it was cheap to make, and a few devs did it as a side project then who cares. If it makes money, then it means more money for ccp, and thats a GOOD thing. CCP needs more games or they go under if eve goes under.

It absolutely does not matter whether it is a small game with little effort or time involved. CCP cannot handle several projects. And this fact does not change if 2 large projects, which have outgrown their capabilities, are replaced by loads of small projects, which require even more granular expertise and attention. It's going to be fun for me to see them ruin it again. Twisted

I also wholeheartedly agree with Thead Enco' correction of your post.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#87 - 2015-08-06 17:38:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Rivr Luzade wrote:
It absolutely does not matter whether it is a small game with little effort or time involved. CCP cannot handle several projects.


If you're right, they'll need to learn how--the hard way, if necessary--because being a publisher of one game with no presence on any of the long-since-established portable platforms--never mind the current generation of consoles--is neither safe nor sustainable. One way or another, the pony has to learn more tricks.

I have more hope for these games than I did for the other ones just because they have small development teams, known and limited scopes, and a minimal amount of hype. After this and Valkyrie ship, CCP will be a frontline developer on two VR platforms, and they'll have a team with expertise developing on Android. Done right, they'll be able to reach people that EVE has never been able to reach, and get them familiar and comfortable with aspects of EVE's universe (Abaddon = imminent sunburn from a broadside).

There are still plenty of ways that this could go wrong. There always are. But they have to try.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#88 - 2015-08-06 21:50:05 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
DaReaper wrote:
its a simple game, did not take much resources form it seem seems like. My guess is its using some scrapped valk code. If it was cheap to make, and a few devs did it as a side project then who cares. If it makes money, then it means more money for ccp, and thats a GOOD thing. CCP needs more games or they go under if eve goes under.

It absolutely does not matter whether it is a small game with little effort or time involved. CCP cannot handle several projects. And this fact does not change if 2 large projects, which have outgrown their capabilities, are replaced by loads of small projects, which require even more granular expertise and attention. It's going to be fun for me to see them ruin it again. Twisted

I also wholeheartedly agree with Thead Enco' correction of your post.

The rest of your highly amusing post aside, you've overlooked one critical point.

It's already done. Blink

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Crimson Draufgange
The Seven Shadows
Scotch and Tea
#89 - 2015-08-07 04:28:09 UTC
Hey CCP,

When will you be making a FAQ for Gunjack?

Subtle rhyme intended.

My Velator is overpowered.

"I use my hairgel to tackle my targets because it has a long lasting firm hold." - Me.

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#90 - 2015-08-07 07:23:47 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
I'm not sure why people would be surprised about them giving up the Legion name... they said up front that Legion was merely the in house "code name" for the project. It was never intended to be the final release name of the game.
Well it's not just that, I think we've totally lost any clue where CCP is going with all this. The bond from 2012 paid back, by a new investor? ..calling the shots? Everything seems to have gone hidden (financial reports etc). Developing into platforms hardly anyone uses. If Gunjack is a Shanghai project as Legion was being developed, then likely Legion is scrapped for a year now, unless they say otherwise. But no word in a year one way or the other, sooo... seems really odd, ya know? Trying not to draw conclusions, but it is all rather hidden away now. Have seen other developers do that with bad results, dunno.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Daerrol
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#91 - 2015-08-08 01:16:25 UTC
I love rail shooters and arcade games. So yeah I'm excited. But VR, so won't be touching. I guess not excited. /me puts iin Starfox 64 Emulator
Aalysia Valkeiper
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#92 - 2015-08-08 02:09:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Aalysia Valkeiper
I could swear I saw something like this when my 8-year-old nieces and nephews played Mario Brothers on their play stations... and they're now in college or the armed forces.

In other words, this is NOT of the quality EvE players would expect from CCP and (except for the 'cameo' at the end of the trailer by the Amarr abaddon dreadnought) there was nothing to indicate EvE had anything to do with this.
La Rynx
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#93 - 2015-08-08 08:58:57 UTC
Sweet a tiny little 3D VR shooter.
Just watch the trailer, it is not a super huge development monster.
Since the Samsung VR is a cheap VR system it might sell in numbers rather than the 300 buck system.
Well, of course you'd need a samsung phone.
With some delicate development even an ingame shop could exist.

Anything that puts money into CCP's pocket will ensur, that EvE development will continue.

and my biggest smile from me:

"... lets show these pirates they messed with the wrong mining operation..."
Big smileSmileBear

Atomic Virulent : "You can't spell DOUCHE. without CODE."

La Rynx
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#94 - 2015-08-08 09:01:10 UTC
Aalysia Valkeiper wrote:
I could swear I saw something like this when my 8-year-old nieces and nephews played Mario Brothers on their play stations... and they're now in college or the armed forces.

In other words, this is NOT of the quality EvE players would expect from CCP and (except for the 'cameo' at the end of the trailer by the Amarr abaddon dreadnought) there was nothing to indicate EvE had anything to do with this.

Except the big ORE sign in the background of the guntower...
Blink

Atomic Virulent : "You can't spell DOUCHE. without CODE."

Tiffen Jouhinen
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#95 - 2015-08-09 11:37:52 UTC
Awesome graphics...as expected.

This actually will boost Samsung sales.

One request:

Please make it compatible with Google cardboard and not just for Samsung Gear VR.

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#96 - 2015-08-09 14:02:38 UTC
La Rynx wrote:
Sweet a tiny little 3D VR shooter.
Just watch the trailer, it is not a super huge development monster.
Since the Samsung VR is a cheap VR system it might sell in numbers rather than the 300 buck system.
Well, of course you'd need a samsung phone.
With some delicate development even an ingame shop could exist.

Anything that puts money into CCP's pocket will ensur, that EvE development will continue.

and my biggest smile from me:

"... lets show these pirates they messed with the wrong mining operation..."
Big smileSmileBear

An amazing boondoggle that eats tons of cash and then gets pssshheed is also likely

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2015-08-09 14:43:22 UTC
Aalysia Valkeiper wrote:
I could swear I saw something like this when my 8-year-old nieces and nephews played Mario Brothers on their play stations... and they're now in college or the armed forces.

In other words, this is NOT of the quality EvE players would expect from CCP and (except for the 'cameo' at the end of the trailer by the Amarr abaddon dreadnought) there was nothing to indicate EvE had anything to do with this.

What?
Pah Cova
Made in Portugal S.A.
#98 - 2015-08-10 14:22:34 UTC
Personally I dont like the idea that CCP ae trying to compete with other games like Star Citizens.

Guess the imagination are running out and they dont really know what to do more and how to do it.
Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#99 - 2015-08-10 15:05:08 UTC
Pah Cova wrote:
Personally I dont like the idea that CCP ae trying to compete with other games like Star Citizens.

Guess the imagination are running out and they dont really know what to do more and how to do it.


They already have EvE to compete with Star Citizen, assuming SC ever gets beyond a few broken pieces and a shedload of hype.

If you were at Fanfest and saw the amount of work theyve put into VR you wouldnt be surprised that they're released multiple products for it. Its a simple accessible game for a cheap VR system, exactly the sort of thing that you need when starting out in a new market.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

Jalon Sabir
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#100 - 2015-08-10 16:00:14 UTC
All these years CCP and you still haven't learned your lesson. You've had the full loot PvP market on lockdown for over a decade, everything else has been crap compared to EvE. But this entire time you keep investing the profits into expensive gimmicks that do not target your customer base, what is it this time, a copy of Incoming from the Dreamcast? Great market to move into.

Give it a few years and another company is going to come out with a better full loot PvP MMO, it's inevitable at some point, which assets are you going to be holding onto when this happens, a console shooter and a 3D Asteroids?