These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Gunjack Discussion Thread

First post
Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#41 - 2015-08-03 22:11:37 UTC
That... looks... terrible...
But then again shoot em ups usually are.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Jevatoxa
Amandla Legion
Electus Matari
#42 - 2015-08-03 22:26:26 UTC
Would buy if it includes waves of CODE. Catalysts and taloses coming in to gank the mining rig.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#43 - 2015-08-03 22:36:22 UTC
It looks very much like a bog standard rail shooter. Or am I missing something?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Tallardar
PC Culture
#44 - 2015-08-03 23:18:06 UTC
Currently, iirc, the Gear VR is limited to just the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, S6, and S6 Edge.

I assume CCP will work on making the game compatible with the line up as it changes or is this going to be restricted to those devices? What about playing it on the Oculus Rift? To play this and Valkyrie, the only two VR games CCP are supporting, would cost the consumer a minimum of $400 in equipment not including the required phone.* I like EVE, I even like(d) DUST, but $400 to play EVE related products is a bit steep of an asking price for your community/consumers. That also doesn't account for the money spent on needing a PlayStation 3 for DUST. Can CCP at least say they'll look at making the game on the Oculus VR as well, please?

*The Gear VR, which doesn't include the phone, costs $200 while the Oculus Rift is, at present, estimated to cost between $200 to $400.
Brian Harrelstein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#45 - 2015-08-03 23:22:58 UTC
Don't care. I just want eve stuff. Cool
Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#46 - 2015-08-03 23:48:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tavin Aikisen
Sorry but this is all the proof I needed that CCP no longer cares about making EVE the best, complete and self-contained sci-fi universe possible as we used to hear so much in the past.

If this was being made 7 years ago, we'd be hearing talk of proper integration with EVE Online, DUST 514, atmospheric flight, EVAs, walking in stations and all the other prototypes and dreams.

We saw a hint of this when it was mentioned that Legion, EVE and Valkyrie would be linked between our characters and accounts, but I'm assuming with the shelving of Legion, that ideology is finally dead. :/

The last time CCP focussed on a specific platform, that excluded the core PC audience, it didn't go well at all...

Prove me wrong.

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#47 - 2015-08-04 00:08:14 UTC
Tavin Aikisen wrote:
Sorry but this is all the proof I needed that CCP no longer cares about making EVE the best, complete and self-contained sci-fi universe possible as we used to hear so much in the past.

If this was being made 7 years ago, we'd be seeing talk of proper integration with EVE Online, DUST 514, atmospheric flight, EVAs, walking in stations and all the other prototypes and dreams.

We saw a hint of this when it was mentioned that Legion, EVE and Valkyrie would be linked between our characters and accounts, but I'm assuming with the shelving of Legion, that ideology is finally dead. :/

The last time CCP focussed on a specific platform, that excluded the core PC audience, it didn't go well at all...

Prove me wrong.

Small, easy to make games like this can provide monetary support for EVE and Valkyrie.
Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#48 - 2015-08-04 00:48:04 UTC
Primary This Rifter wrote:
Tavin Aikisen wrote:
Sorry but this is all the proof I needed that CCP no longer cares about making EVE the best, complete and self-contained sci-fi universe possible as we used to hear so much in the past.

If this was being made 7 years ago, we'd be seeing talk of proper integration with EVE Online, DUST 514, atmospheric flight, EVAs, walking in stations and all the other prototypes and dreams.

We saw a hint of this when it was mentioned that Legion, EVE and Valkyrie would be linked between our characters and accounts, but I'm assuming with the shelving of Legion, that ideology is finally dead. :/

The last time CCP focussed on a specific platform, that excluded the core PC audience, it didn't go well at all...

Prove me wrong.

Small, easy to make games like this can provide monetary support for EVE and Valkyrie.


I'm sure they do, I just hope the changing vision is worth it.

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Aeon Amadii
#49 - 2015-08-04 00:51:32 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Chamile Eonic wrote:
Aliventi wrote:
I'mma let you finish, but we have been wanting a PC post of DUST for a few years now.


Legion isn't happening. Its possible they may decide to throw a bucket load of money at it to do a total redevelopment but as it stands the game is massively dated now. Unless they rebuild it from the ground up then I can't see people really playing it.

CCP are currently going balls deep into VR. If VR turns out to be a big thing they will make a load of cash, if not then its back to milking the Eve player base for cash to 'invest' in their next project



there is no evidence to support the claim that legion is 'not happening' there is also no evidence to support the claim that it is. However, reminding ccp that people want it might make them make it if they are on the fence. Kinda like WiS, people want it so they will keep remindning people they want it. *shrugs* And i would not say they are 'balls deep' into vr actually. From my understanding, the VR labs group is not that big, but meh. More money for ccp is good


In his defense, there's nothing to suggest Legion -is- happening, either. The last we heard about Legion was 337 days ago. After that, CCP went dark and the only sliver of evidence we have that CCP Rattati isn't the only one alive at CCP Shanghai is a few developer spotlights and... well, Gunjack.

(This character is the Eve version of Aeon Amadi since there is no cross-forum support)

Member of CPM 2

Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#50 - 2015-08-04 01:10:50 UTC
Aeon Amadii wrote:
DaReaper wrote:
Chamile Eonic wrote:
Aliventi wrote:
I'mma let you finish, but we have been wanting a PC post of DUST for a few years now.


Legion isn't happening. Its possible they may decide to throw a bucket load of money at it to do a total redevelopment but as it stands the game is massively dated now. Unless they rebuild it from the ground up then I can't see people really playing it.

CCP are currently going balls deep into VR. If VR turns out to be a big thing they will make a load of cash, if not then its back to milking the Eve player base for cash to 'invest' in their next project



there is no evidence to support the claim that legion is 'not happening' there is also no evidence to support the claim that it is. However, reminding ccp that people want it might make them make it if they are on the fence. Kinda like WiS, people want it so they will keep remindning people they want it. *shrugs* And i would not say they are 'balls deep' into vr actually. From my understanding, the VR labs group is not that big, but meh. More money for ccp is good


In his defense, there's nothing to suggest Legion -is- happening, either. The last we heard about Legion was 337 days ago. After that, CCP went dark and the only sliver of evidence we have that CCP Rattati isn't the only one alive at CCP Shanghai is a few developer spotlights and... well, Gunjack.



Actually there is plenty to say nothing is happening. CCP no longer hold the trademark for "EVE Legion".

Source: http://www.trademarkia.com/eve-legion-86233018.html

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Crasniya
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2015-08-04 03:11:47 UTC
I played the tech demo for this at Fanfest this year. It's a lot of fun for the few minutes I got to try it, and if anything, I was bummed they didn't have more levels at Fanfest for us to try.

I probably won't be owning it, since I won't be owning another Android (security on the platform is becoming more and more comical each month, nobody should own an Android at this point if they value their data), much less a Samsung. But the Gear VR shares a lot of tech with the Oculus, and I'm hopeful that at some point CCP will let Oculus users play it.

For those curious, when Falcon means "small team at Shanghai", AFAIK, it's very small. It isn't a huge impact on DUST's development, though some people who worked on DUST worked on Gunjack. (Think how EVR was originally created.)

My personal view is whether or not it's something I'll ever own and play, I am guessing they have a good arrangement with Samsung and it's a net positive for the company.

Soraya Xel - Council of Planetary Management 1 - soraya@biomassed.net

Invisusira
Escalated.
Project Gungnir.
#52 - 2015-08-04 03:30:36 UTC
JESUS ******* CHRIST CCP

LEARN TO PRONOUNCE AMARR NAMES ALREADY

ah-BAH-don


seriously it's just getting ******* embarrassing
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#53 - 2015-08-04 05:11:30 UTC
Then if this isn't the new name for Legion, what happened to Legion? Sad
You know, the PC game? Straight

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Kuronaga
Fatal Absolution
Bleeding Sun Conglomerate
#54 - 2015-08-04 05:17:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuronaga
Lucas Kell wrote:
That... looks... terrible...
But then again shoot em ups usually are.



The sidescroller Shmup they were showing off a couple years back looked a lot more passable than this.

They are buying so hard into the VR hype its getting ridiculous. I mean VR on a cellphone game?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's harder to get more impractical than this.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#55 - 2015-08-04 06:50:11 UTC
Tallardar wrote:
Currently, iirc, the Gear VR is limited to just the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, S6, and S6 Edge.

I assume CCP will work on making the game compatible with the line up as it changes or is this going to be restricted to those devices? What about playing it on the Oculus Rift? To play this and Valkyrie, the only two VR games CCP are supporting, would cost the consumer a minimum of $400 in equipment not including the required phone.* I like EVE, I even like(d) DUST, but $400 to play EVE related products is a bit steep of an asking price for your community/consumers. That also doesn't account for the money spent on needing a PlayStation 3 for DUST. Can CCP at least say they'll look at making the game on the Oculus VR as well, please?

*The Gear VR, which doesn't include the phone, costs $200 while the Oculus Rift is, at present, estimated to cost between $200 to $400.


Probably they're aiming at different target audiences. The Gear VR is meant as portable VR, whereas the Rift is barely portable (even if you plug it to a laptop).

Of course, we may discuss the practicality of portable VR: picture a guy sititng by you in a waiting room/bus/airplane, wearing a device that blinds him and deafens him and effectively cuts him from reality. Then he twists and turns his head around and chuckles and giggles at something only he can see and listen... And a whole new level of a-hole is born. What?

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Kuronaga
Fatal Absolution
Bleeding Sun Conglomerate
#56 - 2015-08-04 08:34:46 UTC
Yes, Valkyrie is aimed at diehard VR enthusiasts who recognize that this fun industry toy is going to die out very quickly but want to enjoy it while its briefly supported by the companies looking to lose money.


I have no idea who the hell Gunjack is aimed towards. What kind of ass even buys mobile VR in the first place?
Cypherous
Liberty Rogues
Aprilon Dynasty
#57 - 2015-08-04 08:36:33 UTC
Amarisen Gream wrote:
This just totally caught me off guard.
I find it to be really cool that you all are branching outing some smaller EVE offerings...

But a few questions that I have that haven't been answered..

1: 64 bit EVE... Speaking with a few people, it seems EVE is only 32 bit.

2: I'm a Mac user. What is going on with CIDER and its buy out...

3: . . . Wheres my hug!...

love you all... and hope you'll rested up form vacation... b/c i'm drooling to know what happens (for what little you tell us) on the 25th.


1: its not needed, the server already runs x64 code the client doesn't actually do anything that would benefit from the hassle of maintaining both an x64 and x86 branch and the extra QA overhead that generates, its the same reason most games dont actually bother with x64 either

2: well, you're a mac user, you have other options, like bootcamp :P

3: head on over to JB-007 its where the hug warehouse is located you're free to help yourself
Cypherous
Liberty Rogues
Aprilon Dynasty
#58 - 2015-08-04 08:44:29 UTC
Crasniya wrote:
I
I probably won't be owning it, since I won't be owning another Android (security on the platform is becoming more and more comical each month, nobody should own an Android at this point if they value their data), much less a Samsung. But the Gear VR shares a lot of tech with the Oculus, and I'm hopeful that at some point CCP will let Oculus users play it.


Android isn't really any more of a privacy issue than iOS and Win10 mobile these days so thats just some android hate right there, i'll give you partial points for the samsung rant, i owned the S3 and it was a glorious device, i got an S6 and i'm less happy with that, there were some initial teething issues that could only be resolved by rooting the device and ever since day 1 i've had "lag" on the device using the pin based lock screen so while the phone is gorgeous and performs great for the most part, there are some issues which is why you get partial points for the samsung hate :P

It all depends on if they made a deal with samsung or not, if sumsung provided stuff it could be a gear exclusive at which point you'll either have to miss out on this or hope someone creates a workaround, i own an S6, i wont be going near this game
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#59 - 2015-08-04 10:49:45 UTC
I find this announcement particularly interesting.
CCP cannot even manage to maintain EVE properly (going to vacation after the most profound game change in years? Really?) and have failed to maintain and advance DUST properly. Even these 2 projects (ignoring WOD as it's already dead) were too much for CCP to handle. Now they want to turn DUST into Legion and make that go totally awesome for sure, and attempt to develop Valkyrie. These are already 2 things more than CCP was able to handle in the past. And now they want to develop yet another game. This is going to be very interesting. Roll

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Anthar Thebess
#60 - 2015-08-04 12:09:22 UTC
When can i delegate my battleship/ dread guns to other players , and tell them :
SHOOT THE TOWER , FEEL THE POWER
Big smile