These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Playing on limited time/ Older gamers. How do you play??

First post
Author
Zen Dad
Solitary Sad Bastard In Space
#101 - 2015-08-01 20:04:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Zen Dad
This works for me in my own office in my own business /

BM some exploration sites, cloak up in the general area. Minimise screen, work work work.

Open up window every so often and check local for explorer victims - kill said victim or minimise screen and return to work.

Don't open wrong window when co-director or secretary in office though.

I can be 'involved' for 9 hours but actual play time is less than an hour .
Sindjin Hawke
Distant Light Syndicate
#102 - 2015-08-02 16:33:46 UTC
EVE is tough on good content for solo players. I'm in the same boat: wife, kids, work and all the other stuff that screws up men's lives. Just kidding of course. The previous suggestion about long term single player goals/content would be great. I recently came back after almost a year off and it's still the same old thing. Would love to be able to build my own remote star base without it costing an arm and a leg to operate. Not to generate ISK mind you because there has to be risk/reward but wouldn't mind dumping ISK into something to increase immersion.
Shawn Tivianne
Mining.Pirates
#103 - 2015-08-03 00:49:29 UTC
I do not want this game to become more casual. That's not why i made this post. I love the depth to it. I've been playing on and off for 4 years and im still learning new things. There is definitly plenty to do within a limited time frame. I'm just interested in hearing how others play because of the variety of ways that you can play.

So an update on what I've been doing... On the rare chance i get a 3-4 hour shot of EVE (some friday and saturday nights) I log in my main with my null sec corp. And see what they are up to. Maybe join in or roam around solo low sec. And if they are BSing . Bloping or taking forever to get their ish together, Ill still join but ill be on the other screen exploring with my other toon. Now the week days When i only get an hour or so. If the corp is BSing. I'm out... My time is valuable. I'll go around FW low sec looking for fights. Solo fights are plenty. Just have to pick your battles and not worry about losing your ship. And thats that so far!

tiberiusric
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#104 - 2015-08-03 06:46:35 UTC
have the same issue. but after years of playing I think low sec piracy is the best thing.. low sec is full of activity at the moment so if you not roaming then you're usually camping a gate hanging out with copies.. fw I wouldn't recommend personally as it's a bit blobby in the areas you need to be in to find fights.

All my views are my own - never be afraid to post with your main, unless you're going to post some dumb shit

BrundleMeth
Black Parrot
Sylvanas Super mercenary
#105 - 2015-08-03 10:54:04 UTC
Labaianoch wrote:
BrundleMeth wrote:
Marsha Mallow wrote:
1-2 hours sounds like plenty to me, even if it's just per month. It's not a race, and tbh I look on people playing for 10 hours a day with some disapproval if they try make it look normal and talk down to everyone else. It's not and they'll burn out faster than people who manage their time. There aren't many people who have been playing for 5+ years who have maintained consistent activity to that degree (and those who have are gibbering loonies who were 11 when they first subbed, and still are). This myth that EvE is only for hardcore nerds willing to commit to x hours per day is a problem and needs to be demolished.

Clearly you are not a "real" gamer and are a disgrace to true EVE players. Real gamers, wear a cathetar and a diaper and the only time they stop playing before 10 hours is if their house burns or PC breaks. Stopping for sex or a choking family members is a clear sign of an uncommitted pilot. I once played for 42 hours non stop and only quit when the store I was in cut the power while I was testing one of their new rigs...

Anyone else tired of the term "Gamer" being used like an occupational description? I'll never forget working for a cable/internet provider and having customers call and tell me "Well, I'm a gamer, so..." SO???? Congrats on being useless?

Every time I heard someone talk like that I would roll my eyes so hard they almost left my skull.
I only feel the same when people say "video games"...
Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#106 - 2015-08-03 11:19:41 UTC
Shawn Tivianne wrote:
So how do you play the game? Those who play on limited time 1-2 hours at a time. Or older gamers who have to bail at a moments notice. I enjoy EVE a lot. Different aspects. Mostly combat , and PVP. But sometimes it takes so long to get to where you need to be or sometimes these roams just take too long. I'm older, Married, own a home and a dog. I have a real life and responsibility to worry about. I guess im just trying to figure out my best use of time. Big smile

I got a dedicated eve Laptop, its running all the time, like that I'm camping YA0 Goonswarms hub, and from time to time I shoot one of their haulers down, for me its like an aquarium in the living room, if I see something interesting I look at it and maybe do something... I think thats the best way to play eve...
Zensasha
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#107 - 2015-08-03 15:53:03 UTC
I'm 43 years old, I have a wife and a house and a 1.5 hour commute to work. As many many others have said, it is a matter of finding the right group.

I could not be happier with the corporation I am in right now! Although targeted at newer players, KarmaFleet does accept players with all levels of experience. Being in KarmaFleet allows you to participate in all of The Imperium's content. They have Special Interest Groups for anything you might want to do in the game, and because the group is so large you will find PvP opportunities in any timezone. KarmaFleet has a very easy participation requirement; right now we ask that you participate in 1 fleet / month.

You might also look at groups like RvB, or any of the NPSI communities. I flew with RvB for a few years, and they have some great people there. They don't kick anyone for non-participation, and whenever you undock, you are going to be shooting people (or trying).

Since you are older, you might also be more senior, or in a leadership position where you work. I have worked at having the flexibility I want to play this game or do whatever else. My company tries to let people find a work-life balance. The people that work for me need flex-time quite often due to life happening. I have always felt that as long as the work gets done, it doesn't matter where the people are, or how many hours they spent at the office. When you create that sort of environment at work, you don't feel guilty leaving early because you have a timer or other important op. Lol

I think it also important to realize, that this or any other game might not take up as much time as it maybe once did. I have had periods of my life where games (MMOs in particular) took up all my free time. As long as you keep things in perspective and realize that EVERYTHING IS OPTIONAL, you will be fine. Everyone gets it. MMOs are no longer the domain solely of those who can devote most of their waking hours to it. EVE is no different, as long as you are flying with others who understand this.
Seniram Sproc
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#108 - 2015-08-03 16:01:48 UTC
I try to PvP in between frequent bio breaks. Getting older sucks...Thinking about wearing an adult diapers to ensure that I don't miss that next billion isk kill mail because of loose stool or frequent urination.....

just sayin............

What?
Rosa Pavlichenko
Eternal Evangelist Cooperative
#109 - 2015-08-04 21:52:52 UTC
During office hours I run a Lvl 4 mission and shoot a few rocks with lazers.

Bank the resulting money, and buy a few more kestrels to do low sec lulz in when I get home.
Nakito Kobara
Yamagata Syndicate
#110 - 2015-08-05 07:17:51 UTC
I spend my time in faction warfare. fleets are fairly regular and it doesn't have the same level of intensity as null sec.
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#111 - 2015-08-05 07:42:18 UTC
I work 84+ hours a week, which doesn't leave a lot of EvE time, although I theoretically could bring a laptop with me. But given where I work, not really feasible for playing. So I currently just plan my skill queue for the next five years, occasionally log in to adjust it, or to undock in a shiny. My wallet isn't growing much, but it doesn't really need to either.

I am probably the most inactive active CEO in the game.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

LowSkillAlt
State War Academy
Caldari State
#112 - 2015-08-05 18:02:44 UTC  |  Edited by: LowSkillAlt
I struggle with playing time, don't get back from work till 6, about half an hour or so trying to train a spaniel, out on the MTB 3 evenings a week plus dinner and wife time, I might be lucky to get an hour an evening. I've left EvE so many times but still always come back to it.

When time first got short, I used to do a lot of FW, and/or Bombers Bar, I used to lose bombers all the time in BB, in fact I lose ships all the time, so I funded ship losses by selling the odd Plex. The last 2 times I rejoined I spent/spend what time I have doing some exploration (that damn JohnnyPew keeps me coming back!!), either hisec, if really pushed for time or just jump in a WH and see where it takes me. I still try to get the odd BB run in, but haven't done for a while. The exploration pretty much pays for any ship losses.

I really miss being in a corp, just the banter, having someone to laugh at my mistakes and the impromptu roams. I know I am missing out on a hell of a lot of the game but as I'm getting older the belly is not getting any smaller so sitting on my 'arris playing Eve all evening can't take priority!
Minister of Death
Colossus Enterprises
#113 - 2015-08-05 21:10:36 UTC
I have access to a crazy number of L4 agents so I run around for 30 minutes a couple times a week lining up good missions, and then when I have a few hours to actually play I just rip missions like a crazy bastard.

It pays the isk bills.

Then when I occasionally have a weekend without parental duties and such, I sometimes day trip WH's or low/null exploring and very occasionally harass bears.
Leoric Firesword
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#114 - 2015-08-05 21:59:34 UTC
Shawn Tivianne wrote:
So how do you play the game? Those who play on limited time 1-2 hours at a time. Or older gamers who have to bail at a moments notice. I enjoy EVE a lot. Different aspects. Mostly combat , and PVP. But sometimes it takes so long to get to where you need to be or sometimes these roams just take too long. I'm older, Married, own a home and a dog. I have a real life and responsibility to worry about. I guess im just trying to figure out my best use of time. Big smile

in very small and quick bursts....

I basically don't play at all from march to ~ october so corp knows I'm just resetting PI or whatever when I come on. If they're already engaged in something they'll invite me along if I want, otherwise I may BS a little then head out.