These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Playing on limited time/ Older gamers. How do you play??

First post
Author
Cypherous
Liberty Rogues
Aprilon Dynasty
#61 - 2015-07-29 00:02:06 UTC
I mostly just play with NPSI guys, roams tend to be short so i get pew pew and can leave at any time, seems to work for me, none of this mandatory OP or CTA junk of null sec and lots of cheap pew pew
Anthar Thebess
#62 - 2015-07-29 08:47:17 UTC
I login my accounts and come to PC when i have some free time - so people see me constantly online , but i am like 10% of this time actually doing something. (this is good as logging to eve take some time)

Bad thing is that most of the fleet leave when my kid don't sleep , but RL >>> EVE.

But yes , i miss PAUSE button in this game :D
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#63 - 2015-07-29 09:42:11 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
I came to work at CCP... now no one can berate me for playing EVE!

Lol

But instead, you are getting called out on not playing the game every now and then, whether it's true or not P

OT: If everything else fails, playing Skill Training Offline saves the day (week / month / more) Lol
Valkyriane
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#64 - 2015-07-29 09:42:23 UTC
Wife, kids, fulltime job.. I take playtime out of sleepytime. Others sleep, I play.

I like to kill stuff.. and stuff.

Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
BLACKFLAG.
#65 - 2015-07-29 10:18:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tora Bushido
44, 2 kids, gaming since the Pong. Secret of gaming when you're older, have kids, etc :

* Always keep the wife happy (coffee, flowers, tell her she looks good, notice the new haircut, etc).
* Always tell them they're more important then some space game (even if you dont think that).
* Keep playing when they go to bed.
* Adapt to the lack of sleep.
* Have the pc in the living room for easy adapting.

And remember the secret words passed on for generations ..... "Yes dear".

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

Lady Areola Fappington
#66 - 2015-07-29 11:46:19 UTC
I've made sure to schedule some "me time" during the week, where I just do whatever it is I want to do at the time.

I've found that most people give recreation and downtime very low priority when it comes to day to day living, and that's just not healthy at all. You've got to set aside some time just for yourself, and consider that time to be just as important as, say, your job.

That's how I manage to play Eve with a full-time and then some job, a spouse, family, etc...

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Blacksuns
Doomheim
#67 - 2015-07-29 12:22:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Blacksuns
27, a daughter, a wife, a fulltime job, a sideline and hobby's.

Obviously dedicating a lot of time to RL shizzle. But whenever the ladies are sleeping it's time to chillax and play Eve.
Which is a good 2 or 3 hours on a good day and about 4 to 5 hours during the weekend.

If I don't get the pew I want I'll simply go play MK-X instead.
Blacksuns
Doomheim
#68 - 2015-07-29 12:34:02 UTC
double posted, remove please.
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#69 - 2015-07-29 16:45:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Bronson Hughes
40, work full time, do lots of traveling. I keep all of my characters* in one corp with limited in-space assets (POSes, POCOs, etc.) and small rental bills set to auto-pay out of a well-funded corp wallet. This lets me walk away for weeks or more on short notice and everything will be right where I left it when I come back. Finding content does rely heavily on forming relationships with neighbors and fellow small-corpers like me, but I've made a pretty good run out of it.

*All of my publicly acknowledged characters that is....

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#70 - 2015-07-29 17:03:06 UTC
Tora Bushido wrote:
45, 2 kids, gaming since the Pong. Secret of gaming when you're older, have kids, etc :

* Always keep the wife happy (coffee, flowers, tell her she looks good, notice the new haircut, etc).
* Always tell them they're more important then some space game (even if you dont think that).

So be a doormat is what your saying? LOL
Jenn aSide
Worthless Carebears
Pandemic Horde
#71 - 2015-07-29 17:06:43 UTC
Harrison Tato wrote:
Tora Bushido wrote:
45, 2 kids, gaming since the Pong. Secret of gaming when you're older, have kids, etc :

Keeping life in context and being a man by doing your duty to your family instead of selfishly forsaking all that for a ******* video game is not being a 'doormat'.
Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#72 - 2015-07-29 17:24:48 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Harrison Tato wrote:
Tora Bushido wrote:

Keeping life in context and being a man by doing your duty to your family instead of selfishly forsaking all that for a ******* video game is not being a 'doormat'.

Being an adult who resorts to kissing butt so their spouse will ALLOW them to pursue a hobbie is. The other stuff is reasonable. I barf when I hear the ol' "happy wife happy life" slave song.
flakeys
Doomheim
#73 - 2015-07-29 17:29:49 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Harrison Tato wrote:
Tora Bushido wrote:

It doesn't mean you have to suck up all day solely for the purpose of playing a video game.I try to keep my wife happy , give her compliments and find common ground as much as i can , but i have never done it just so she would not ***** at me for putting on my xbox or laptop and i have never ever had to tell her she's more important then a video game because when your wife has doubts the game is more important then you allready ****** up in giving someone the attention they need.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Labaianoch
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#74 - 2015-07-29 17:31:59 UTC

[/quote]Keeping life in context and being a man by doing your duty to your family instead of selfishly forsaking all that for a ******* video game is not being a 'doormat'.[/quote]

Here, here. I started playing eve almost 3 years before my daughter was born. Having hours on end to play, get drunk, **** talk and accumulate vast swaths of enemies hardly compares to the fun I have arguing with a tiny version of me about how to properly use the bathroom.... The wife is fun too.

On my point earlier about feeling of no use to my old corps, when I was in 0.0 based corps there were mandatory kills per month. Mandatory log on reqs. Constant CTA's and late night emails saying "URGENT!!! FULL EVAC NOW!!!"... which I usually found about well after a POS had been overrun. I'd log in to find myself in a station full of reds, in a system full of reds, with bubbles at every gate out, 100's of millions of isk worth of ships and crap in my hangar. Fire sale!

I was definitely of little to no use to those guys and could read their frustration in the emails some times. That was enough for me.

PvP? Meh, I suck at it. No I mean I really suck at it. Casual? Yes I am. And I still love this game as much as anyone with thousands of kills under their belt.

Key theme here ...its much easier for me to find time to do something that doesn't require comms and fleets and that allows me to dock or cloak up at a moments notice when I hear "Baaaabe? Can you come here for a second???"

To each his own.

O/
Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#75 - 2015-07-29 17:32:54 UTC
flakeys wrote:

It doesn't mean you have to suck up all day solely for the purpose of playing a video game.I try to keep my wife happy , give her compliments and find common ground as much as i can , but i have never done it just so she would not ***** at me for putting on my xbox or laptop and i have never ever had to tell her she's more important then a video game because when your wife has doubts the game is more important then you allready ****** up in giving someone the attention they need.

Exactly!
Shawn Tivianne
Mining.Pirates
#76 - 2015-07-29 17:58:07 UTC
My wife doesn't have a problem with my gaming because I don't make it more important than the actual important things. She knows my routine and has no problem with it. She isn't a gamer or anything. She goes about as far as guitar hero on the wii with me lol. I let her do the things she likes, and she lets me do the things I like. We communicate well. I told her the other night that I was tired from staying up late playing EVE, and she said, well sometimes why don't you start earlier so you can get to bed ontime. So last night I went on a bit early and got about 2.5 hours in and went to bed on time. So then maybe tonight I wont go on at all and hang out with the wife.
Mohandar Sabezan
Doomheim
#77 - 2015-07-29 18:10:12 UTC
Shawn Tivianne wrote:
My wife doesn't have a problem with my gaming because I don't make it more important than the actual important things. She knows my routine and has no problem with it. She isn't a gamer or anything. She goes about as far as guitar hero on the wii with me lol. I let her do the things she likes, and she lets me do the things I like. We communicate well. I told her the other night that I was tired from staying up late playing EVE, and she said, well sometimes why don't you start earlier so you can get to bed ontime. So last night I went on a bit early and got about 2.5 hours in and went to bed on time. So then maybe tonight I wont go on at all and hang out with the wife.

I think you should start a service called: Eve Family Counseling

Charge people a consulting fee about how to play Eve and get along with the wife at the same time.
Panthe3 Black
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#78 - 2015-07-29 18:11:45 UTC
Null sec pvp is where it's at
Shawn Tivianne
Mining.Pirates
#79 - 2015-07-29 18:16:16 UTC
Mohandar Sabezan wrote:
Shawn Tivianne wrote:

I think you should start a service called: Eve Family Counseling

Charge people a consulting fee about how to play Eve and get along with the wife at the same time.

YES! I have found what to do with my EVE time! :-)
flakeys
Doomheim
#80 - 2015-07-29 19:54:07 UTC
Panthe3 Black wrote:
Null sec pvp is where it's at

For casual gameplay?Maybe as i said before with brave , pandemic horde and the likes but usually nullsec pvp is forming up 45 minutes and then move a crapload of jumps in the hopes not to get blueballed.

I've found lowsec pvp much more rewarding for those of us who log in for a few hours with a lot of ''short breaks'' in between because the kids or wife needs a hand/attention.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.