These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Starting skills levels should increase for new players

Author
Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#121 - 2015-07-23 06:56:20 UTC
If they can fly a almost fully t2 mod AF out of the box. They will complain that the game is too hard because its ages before they can fly a battleship. They will complain even more that they don't have the isk to even buy the modules for the ship!

A t2 fitted rifter is about 10M. A cheap fitted meta rifter can be as cheap as 1M and still be fairly effective. In fact you can fly in pvp in a few hours! (on a new account my first pvp kill was like 6 hours or something)

However do you really think the person that has played eve for just few hours is going to do anything good no matter what the ship they have. They don't even know what lowsec is. Or gun tracking skills or [insert thing here].

Adding more skill points will *not* address the fun out of the blocks aspect of this game. For the very simple reason it has nothing to do with skills.

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#122 - 2015-07-23 06:58:49 UTC
Banana1x wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

No, it is called being fair. A guy who joins once this change goes live will have, somewhere near 2x the XP of the guy who joined just before. Early on that kind of skill differential is pretty significant. Down the road it wont make as much of a difference, but that same argument applies between current "vets" and current "new" players.

But good job shooting yourself in the foot. Roll

Let's agree to disagree and move on, I'm of the opinion nobody will care cause I sure won't.

My thoughts (as I stated earlier) are:
Banana1x wrote:

Give all new players all the skills that would give them Mastery Lvl 2 or 3 for all T1 frigates of their race.

There's no skillpoints as new players wouldn't know what to do with them, just unlock the skills.

No doubt you think this is even worse, so tell us your master plan.

Well perhaps you should understand that people care about fairness...alot. It is at the heart of your claim in a sense. That it is not fair to a new player to have to wait to get in on the fun. Never mind that most of us veterans had to wait significantly longer than you or just about anyone else commenting here who has a character birth date after 2010.

But here is the thing, people care about fairness so much they will actually seek redress for wrongs even if it imposes a cost on them.

So you claim to care about new players, but not the new player who joins just before this kind of a change. In fact, based on your rhetoric here your attitude is "**** 'em". But those very same players might just decide to quite in the face of such blatant and arbitrary favoritism. And that is the kind of thing that can really **** people off...the arbitrary displays of favoritism and special rewards.

Also, I don't think these kinds of things will do much for player retention. What will help players stay in the game is getting involved with other players. Say what you will about Goons, but they take damn good care of their new players. Showing them how to best use whatever ship they can fly, throwing ISK at them, giving them a community that they feel a part of and to help support. I'm pretty sure that will trump a few SP here and there every single time.

Oh, and how soon before you are back here wanting something else for the sake of the new players?

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#123 - 2015-07-23 07:00:58 UTC
Banana1x wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:

You do know that EVERY player in the game is currently being, "subjected to a rite of passage [for] extended periods of [time]

I'm well aware. But we're talking about NEW players and that rite of passage does not need to be there from day 1. I believe we would have higher player retention if that barrier was lowered. And the fact that this thread exists means so do CCP.

This has been done before. How much more do you plan on giving new players? Just curious. Maybe we can just cut to the end instead of this periodic whining.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#124 - 2015-07-23 07:10:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Kaybella Hakaari wrote:
They need to take a very hard look at implants and/or jump clones.

+5s make training happen a lot faster, but are very painful to lose and encourage people to not wormhole dive, fight in wars, or poke around the scarier parts of the universe.

I saw one set of +6s in a contract in Jita. Once.

Edit
--
They could have done a lot worse with skills:
They could have made it a grindy type of thing where you stare at an NPC all day to make them go up a few points.
They could have made it necessary to get Vs in just about everything to be serious. IIIs and IVs are enough to cut it, but Vs are obviously better.
They could have made skill training linear, instead of diminishing returns: IVs take a little over a day, Vs take 6, and the advanced versions of skills have ridiculous multipliers on them for very little game (advanced [weapon] spec, I'm looking at you) which makes them really Chinese finger traps and not that important to push over even I.

I don't mind implants...but then again I have my training clone I JC into when I know I'll be AFK for awhile. Sooo...yeah maybe I'm not a good reference point. I can see how a new player could become more risk averse with expensive implants and no JCs...but hey...the current bug means you can install JCs without standings.

Oh, and side note: Huge boost to "new" players once they train the neural enhancement skills. No more grinding for those standings.

And the reason most vets have substantially more SP than new players? We've trained many skills to V. 82% of any skills SP will be in level V. The only way around this is...time. Unless of course the panties wearing whine brigade keeps going in which case either everyone we'll all be set to Level V or people with too many skills trained to V will be banned. Roll

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#125 - 2015-07-23 10:27:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Saisin wrote:
Are you telling that the gap between average skill points for all pilots and starting skill points is not growing over time?

I'm saying that the gap for the most part simply doesn't exist, and where it exists, it is irrelevant. The gap does not exist and is not growing over time because the entire concept is an illusion that does not apply to the (virtual) reality of EVE. The way skills work, the way they're trained, the way the SP is translated into ability, and the way that ability translates into effect on the game world means that the supposed gap is only ever an aspect of a fundamental misunderstanding of the game.

The gap only exists in the game of Eveboard.com Top Trumps. Eveboard.com Top Trumps is not a game that actually matters to EVE Online (other than maybe in a deeply layered meta-sense of playing the character bazaar market for ISK). The problem is that the Top Trumps version is how many other games are played, so new players incorrectly assume that this will hold true for EVE as well, when it does nothing of the kind.

Now, that is not to say that there is no gap that separates players, but the gaps that exist have little to nothing to do with SP, and are only tangentially related to their newness.

A new player in EVE most likely faces a gap in two areas: knowledge and social connections. Once they overcomes those two, SP ceases to be relevant to what they can engage with in the game. With the right knowledge and social ties, they can take part and be successful in any activity EVE has to offer, irrespective of how much SP they have. This works both ways: a player who does not have those two will be severely limited in what they can take part in and be successful at, again irrespective of SP. A knowledgeable, connected newbie with 90k SP trained can utterly and completely thrash a unknowledgeable solo player with 150M SP.

Mechanical solutions — notably tutorials — can somewhat aid in the knowledge area, and at least give some gentle nudges towards better social connections, but at the end of the day, mechanics cannot solve the gap most new players face; SP mechanical alterations least of all. If anything, SP-mechanical alterations are quite likely to keep new players away from the two things they desperately need the most, as they might reinforce an already false focus on a tiny statistical irrelevance that makes the player think they're “ready” to overcome those gaps through brute force. This tactic will always fail; it will always lead the new player astray; it is not a good solution to… well… anything, really.
Avvy
Doomheim
#126 - 2015-07-23 10:49:08 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Banana1x wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
For the same reason im against giving essentially free SP to new players unless the rest of us get the same amount. Im for giving new players more starting SP not to get them closer to us because that isnt fair, but to assist them with those core skills.

I really don't like these kind of responses; they're childish and don't consider the barrier for a newer player to have fun. Assisting new players has no detrimental effect on you other than your sense of entitlement.
Playing EVE should be fun and newer players shouldn't be subjected to a rite of passage or extended periods waiting for skills to complete. We're all here to play with internet spaceships and harvest tears; without new players, our collective pool of harvestable tears will dwindle.

It is the same barrier that has always been there. And what about the guy who started 2 months before this change? 3 Months? The day before?

Talk about child like reasoning...nobody has thought about this though have they.

If you "grandfather" in older, but still new characters what is the cut off point and how to you justify to those who are on the **** end of that cutoff point?

Edit: Actually that "barrier" is smaller than it was, IMO. First off IIRC we did not have attribute remaps. We also had learning skills so the first few weeks were often spent training those.

I guess you walk everywhere and don't fly, after all your ancestors never used to. What was good for them is good for us.

That's how I see that argument, the bit I made bold and underlined.
Avvy
Doomheim
#127 - 2015-07-23 11:03:54 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Saisin wrote:
Are you telling that the gap between average skill points for all pilots and starting skill points is not growing over time?

I'm saying that the gap for the most part simply doesn't exist, and where it exists, it is irrelevant. The gap does not exist and is not growing over time because the entire concept is an illusion that does not apply to the (virtual) reality of EVE. The way skills work, the way they're trained, the way the SP is translated into ability, and the way that ability translates into effect on the game world means that the supposed gap is only ever an aspect of a fundamental misunderstanding of the game.

I don't even think the real argument is even about closing the gap.

It's more about giving new players a boost so they're able to have a few more options available to them earlier, so the game is more interesting to them at the start.

Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#128 - 2015-07-23 11:05:27 UTC
the thing that makes the game interesting is not the sp you have its the player and how interested they are in discovering the game

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#129 - 2015-07-23 11:12:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Avvy wrote:
I don't even think the real argument is even about closing the gap.

It's more about giving new players a boost so they're able to have a few more options available to them earlier, so the game is more interesting to them at the start.

That's fair enough, and is actually a more informed concerned than any talk about SP.

The main problem there is that there are tons of options available from pretty much day 1 — it's just that older players have a tendency to fill the poor newbies' heads with griefer nonsense along the familiar pattern of “don't do X until you have Y,” and thereby either invent or reinforce preconceived notions of barriers to gameplay that aren't really there. Another issue is that many of the options aren't that well presented (if at all) to the newbies, but the tutorials and opportunities systems are slowly chipping away at that problem. Hell, they're so poorly presented that even many old players aren't fully familiar with all the options available.

Even so, it just comes back to the same actual gap: knowledge and connections. Knowing what there is to do, and knowing who to ask for guidance or support. Mixing those quickly evolves the knowing how to do something (or, just as importantly, knowing not to do it because it's not to the newbie's taste).
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#130 - 2015-07-23 11:20:10 UTC
A new player has things to do, to learn, to experiment for weeks to get her or his feet on the ground. By that time she or he has enough SP accumulated to get into the more advanced stuff.

When we longer term players are talking about fun, we are actually talking about our "endgame", which we found after months or years of experimenting. We want to share that fun with the newbies, but there was a path to that and this path was fun for each of us, otherwise we were not here anymore. Actually the path is what counts in EvE as there is no final destination ... shortcuts will kill that.

Let the newbies find their own path, give them time and motivation, and don't tell them they are useless for XXX until YYY.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Avvy
Doomheim
#131 - 2015-07-23 11:31:54 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
A new player has things to do, to learn, to experiment for weeks to get her or his feet on the ground. By that time she or he has enough SP accumulated to get into the more advanced stuff.

When we longer term players are talking about fun, we are actually talking about our "endgame", which we found after months or years of experimenting. We want to share that fun with the newbies, but there was a path to that and this path was fun for each of us, otherwise we were not here anymore. Actually the path is what counts in EvE as there is no final destination ... shortcuts will kill that.

Let the newbies find their own path, give them time and motivation, and don't tell them they are useless for XXX until YYY.

Just my 2 cents.

In a lot of other MMOs players tend to rush through the levels to get to maximum level and the end game.

In this game the skill tree is so large that it can't be anything to do with an end game in itself.

So the only thing I could consider end game in this game is when you get to a position in the game where you have achieved your goals. When you've done that you're playing the end game.
Cimia Khamez
Doomheim
#132 - 2015-07-23 12:41:01 UTC
I think we could use some tweaks in the current new player skill pool. We could keep the current general starting plan. But rework thetutorial. New players need to have it reinforced that specialization is key. Have them pick a starting career. Then have a specific tutorial which is a set amount of missions that teach them this career. But instead just giving them skill books give them levels in this skill. So by the end they would end up with a decent starting character in that career. Make it so they cannot get the skill levels from the other career tutorials but they can still do them for rewards and skill points. I would set the tutorials up so that buy the end they have the very basics to achieve that career. For example if you take combat you can fly a t1 fitted frigate by the end.
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#133 - 2015-07-23 14:41:36 UTC
Avvy wrote:
Tipa Riot wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

In a lot of other MMOs players tend to rush through the levels to get to maximum level and the end game.

In this game the skill tree is so large that it can't be anything to do with an end game in itself.

So the only thing I could consider end game in this game is when you get to a position in the game where you have achieved your goals. When you've done that you're playing the end game.

My mistake was to use the word "endgame", actually what I mean is a kind of comfort zone, which of course you have to leave from time to time.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#134 - 2015-07-23 16:19:04 UTC
Banana1x wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:

You do know that EVERY player in the game is currently being, "subjected to a rite of passage [for] extended periods of [time]

I'm well aware. But we're talking about NEW players and that rite of passage does not need to be there from day 1. I believe we would have higher player retention if that barrier was lowered. And the fact that this thread exists means so do CCP.

its going to be there their entire game playing experience. CCP has been wrong about a lot of things and this is one of them. EVE fosters d-bags and it is that which hurts player retention and no amount of free SP is going to change that.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#135 - 2015-07-23 16:27:49 UTC
I'm going to jump in here with my opinion having not read a word of this thread.

I WANT THE OPTION OF STARTING WITH ZERO SKILL POINTS AND NO SKILLS INJECTED!

As for that other stuff. Whatever. Starting with more SP is a slippery slope in my opinion. It won't change anything. Just add to the already out of hand SP creep we have in this game due to characters not being locked to the acct that created them.

Mr Epeen Cool
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#136 - 2015-07-23 16:38:56 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
Banana1x wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:

its going to be there their entire game playing experience. CCP has been wrong about a lot of things and this is one of them. EVE fosters d-bags and it is that which hurts player retention and no amount of free SP is going to change that.
It's not that Eve fosters douchebags, it's that it allows a freedom of action that simply isn't present in 99% of other MMO's.

People often come to Eve loaded with preconceptions and ideas that other MMOs teach them are the norm, what drives many of them away is finding out that those preconceptions and ideas aren't valid here because Eve, by its very nature, is way outside of the comfort zone that their previous experiences instilled in them.

Eve is not a standard cookie cutter MMO, it's a very different game, with a very different ruleset and has been since some mad Icelandic dudes decided that they wanted to make an internet spaceships game.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#137 - 2015-07-23 16:43:32 UTC
Avvy wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Banana1x wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
For the same reason im against giving essentially free SP to new players unless the rest of us get the same amount. Im for giving new players more starting SP not to get them closer to us because that isnt fair, but to assist them with those core skills.

I really don't like these kind of responses; they're childish and don't consider the barrier for a newer player to have fun. Assisting new players has no detrimental effect on you other than your sense of entitlement.
Playing EVE should be fun and newer players shouldn't be subjected to a rite of passage or extended periods waiting for skills to complete. We're all here to play with internet spaceships and harvest tears; without new players, our collective pool of harvestable tears will dwindle.

It is the same barrier that has always been there. And what about the guy who started 2 months before this change? 3 Months? The day before?

Talk about child like reasoning...nobody has thought about this though have they.

If you "grandfather" in older, but still new characters what is the cut off point and how to you justify to those who are on the **** end of that cutoff point?

Edit: Actually that "barrier" is smaller than it was, IMO. First off IIRC we did not have attribute remaps. We also had learning skills so the first few weeks were often spent training those.

I guess you walk everywhere and don't fly, after all your ancestors never used to. What was good for them is good for us.

That's how I see that argument, the bit I made bold and underlined.

The point, that went right over your head apparently, is that with an even more significant barrier the game flourished. Now it is...struggling is the common refrain. How can it be "The Barrier" when in fact it HAS BEEN REDUCED? (emphasized that last part for the apparently brain dead)

You have 14-40 days less training time (i.e. no learning skills AND you got the benefits of the learning skills...we all did). Also you got neural remaps, IIRC, we did not have that early on. Picking your race and blood line was often very significant in terms of training. I have 1 and exactly 1 Caldari character. Why? Because Achura/Stargazers had awesome skills if you wanted an industrial type character. After that with neural remaps I went with Gallente.

People like you lack the institutional knowledge...the human capital, if you will, about the game.

Will rebalancing starting SP help with player retention/bring in new players? Probably not. Because that has never been an issue in the past. In fact, for most of us Eve players the learning curve while often the subject of jokes was also something we were, in a way, proud of. Kind of a "look I made it over that." But hey, maybe new players now are just Wilbur Milktoasts who need to have their hands held and their poo-poo patted just to log in or something.

I think this whole idea is a complete canard. ZOMG we need to boost new player SP so they'll stay in the game. Never mind that with an even longer training barrier before "fun" in the past was also present with rising subscriptions and log ons. Whatever the problem is, it is not SP. You are deluding yourself if you think this is the problem...and if I'm correct you are wasting resources.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#138 - 2015-07-23 16:50:17 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
Banana1x wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:

It's not that Eve fosters douchebags, it's that it allows a freedom of action that simply isn't present in 99% of other MMO's.

People often come to Eve loaded with preconceptions and ideas that other MMOs teach them are the norm, what drives many of them away is finding out that those preconceptions and ideas aren't valid here because Eve, by its very nature, is way outside of the comfort zone that their previous experiences instilled in them.

Eve is not a standard cookie cutter MMO, it's a very different game, with a very different ruleset and has been since some mad Icelandic dudes decided that they wanted to make an internet spaceships game.

Agreed. Perhaps this explanation should, in some way, be part of the NPE. Huge freaking warning about how people will lie, "cheat" (not literally as in breaking the EULA/ToS), and steal. Maybe have something about a corp theft as a news item. Maybe even have them meet up with an NPC that rips them off some how.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#139 - 2015-07-23 16:54:53 UTC
BTW, the removal of the learning skills, in the end was hailed as a good move.

New players did not have to train them (and you think AWU to V is awful...try training 4 or 5 rank 3 skills to 4 along with their entry level skills to 5 Ugh)

Older players got those SP back and could "spend" them anywhere (Hello Logistics V without the training time).

Everybody got their attributes boosted to account for this change--i.e. training times did NOT increase.

Just a history lesson for you delicate younger players. Something you might want to consider when discussing this further. In fact, it was considered one of the few changes that violated Malcanis' Law. Something else you special snowflake noobs should consider too (don't worry I know you wont...its the curse of youth, you think you know it all when in reality you know very little).

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#140 - 2015-07-23 16:58:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Maldiro Selkurk
I think the fumdimental flaw with some of the thinking is that new players will even notice if you give them more SP to start, since the premise here is that having more SP at start us going to influence them staying with the game and for that to happen the must 'feel' the difference and they will not.

It is like being born into an average income family in the US, you dont know you are rich because it is the only life you know. Had you spent the first 10 years if your life in some 3rd world slum then got adopted by an average income family in the US you would truly feel rich even though the rest of your adoptive family never would.

Also if you revisited that kid that got adopted 10 years later they would no longer feel rich, their perspective will have changed and they will feel if average wealth just as their adoptive family does. Knowing you are rich and 'feeling' are two different things.

I have changed my mind concerning this matter, no amouny of reasonable SP gift is going to effect player retention in the least.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.