These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

So, new battleships eh?

First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#81 - 2015-07-20 19:01:00 UTC
Falin Whalen wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
mynnna wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Not that I want to destroy the thread or anything, but the Amarr Empire announcing that they're going to build a new flagship based on a pre-existing hull doesn't mean that we're going to introduce a whole new line of battleships to the game.

Just heading that off at the pass, before people get too excited.

P

Well of course it wouldn't be a whole line of battleships. Why would you need a whole line of battleships when "a new flagship" is actually a cover story for warship engineered specifically to fight the Drifters, designed in cooperation with and with contribution from all four empires as well as independents such as the SoE and SoCT?

Twisted

You're a butte.

Oh c'mon, it's a standard trope, it's not like we didn't see this coming from a mile away.

Damn it, would people stop linking that damn site, I get stuck on it for hours at a time, which must be a trope in some kind of movie, brb going back to that site....
Altessa Post
Midnight special super sexy
#82 - 2015-07-20 19:04:08 UTC
Empress Jamyl might be mildly narcissistic, self righteous and a power monger but for her highness spaceships are serious business

On the internet, you can be whatever you want to be. It is amazing that so many people chose to be stupid.

Elinarien
Doomheim
#83 - 2015-07-20 19:33:50 UTC
Perhaps an answer would be to give Battleships (and Marauders) additional hi-slots that can only be used to fit small-sized weapons - this way they're used as secondary armaments to deal with smaller vessels. I've always wondered by Battleships (and hence Dreadnaughts) don't have additional smaller secondary armaments to counter small fast moving vessels to reflect how large naval vessels deal with this problem in real life.

Of course I understand that drones fill that need, but maybe this is the time to consider re-working how larger-hulled ships deal with small-sized attackers.

Just a thought.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#84 - 2015-07-20 19:59:41 UTC
Harrison Tato wrote:
Vimsy Vortis wrote:

I may seem extremely angry all of the time, but it's really just that I am very passionate.

So was Adolph.

I wish I was that successful!
CCP Falcon
#85 - 2015-07-20 20:13:29 UTC
Falin Whalen wrote:
Oh c'mon, it's a standard trope, it's not like we didn't see this coming from a mile away.

If you say so Smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#86 - 2015-07-20 20:20:01 UTC
Harrison Tato wrote:
Vimsy Vortis wrote:

I may seem extremely angry all of the time, but it's really just that I am very passionate.

So was Adolph.

Indeed
Dark Reignz
Four-Q
#87 - 2015-07-20 20:29:04 UTC
Meh but the news story says the most powerful armours and weaponry never seen before. I will be seriously peeved if its just another ship rebalance.

Troll Mode - ON

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#88 - 2015-07-20 20:37:03 UTC
They used the Abaddon as the hull for the Terran weapon, too. It seems to be their go-to hull for superweapons.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Falin Whalen
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#89 - 2015-07-20 20:38:22 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Falin Whalen wrote:

If you say so Smile

I didn't say so The Law of Conservation of Detail, says so. Twisted

"it's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves." The Trial - Franz Kafka 

Rob Kashuken
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#90 - 2015-07-21 01:52:23 UTC
Wonder where this new thing will sit in terms of the other special flagship battleships, such as the Raven State Issue, Tempest Tribal Issue, Megathron Federate Issue and the two Imperial Issues - the Armageddon and Apocalypse
stoicfaux
#91 - 2015-07-21 02:33:34 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Not that I want to destroy the thread or anything, but the Amarr Empire announcing that they're going to build a new flagship based on a pre-existing hull doesn't mean that we're going to introduce a whole new line of battleships to the game.

P

Translation: the Drifters pwn the flagship and the Amarr write it (and its experimental tech) off as a failure. End of storyline/fluff.

The real question is whether the Empress survives politically after proving that once again she cannot protect her people from the Drifter threat.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Daniela Doran
Doomheim
#92 - 2015-07-21 02:42:27 UTC
Harrison Tato wrote:
Vimsy Vortis wrote:

So was Adolph.

lol
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#93 - 2015-07-21 04:01:21 UTC
A new super titan that will be rare and powerful, doubtless.

As a flagship, settle for nothing less than the ability to project a massive area of effect damage field though a cyno

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Falin Whalen
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#94 - 2015-07-21 04:10:06 UTC
Rob Kashuken wrote:
Wonder where this new thing will sit in terms of the other special flagship battleships, such as the Raven State Issue, Tempest Tribal Issue, Megathron Federate Issue and the two Imperial Issues - the Armageddon and Apocalypse

It's a MacGuffin. They won't release it just like they didn't release the Abaddon that fired the super-weapon at the battle of Mekhois. It's a one off plot driver that will be an Offscreen Moment of Awesome, an Epic Fail, Mock Guffin, or No Man Should Have This Power.

"it's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves." The Trial - Franz Kafka 

Rob Kashuken
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#95 - 2015-07-21 07:03:09 UTC
Falin Whalen wrote:
Rob Kashuken wrote:

It's a MacGuffin. They won't release it just like they didn't release the Abaddon that fired the super-weapon at the battle of Mekhois. It's a one off plot driver that will be an Offscreen Moment of Awesome, an Epic Fail, Mock Guffin, or No Man Should Have This Power.

Evidently trolling has found a new meta, so some good has come from this thread at least.
Xerathul Muur
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#96 - 2015-07-21 12:45:34 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

P

but Amarr gave capsuleers the new shielding technology for their stations, why not a battleship??
stoicfaux
#97 - 2015-07-21 12:50:54 UTC
The flagship's name will be the Auctoritas. According to google, Auctoritas is a Latin word and is the origin of English "authority".

Thus I declare the nickname for the ship to be: The Cartman.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

davet517
Raata Invicti
#98 - 2015-07-21 13:02:35 UTC
We've got T3 doctrines. We've got BS doctrines. They get used with similar frequency, for different situations. They're comparable, price wise, since the battleships that we tend to use are of the FACTION variety, and that's true of other big PvP oriented outfits in null.

The problem that you're trying to solve is called "mudflation". Several years ago, nobody would have been "dumb" enough to fly a billion isk BS into a fleet fight, and would have been trolled as an idiot if they did. Now, it's common.

So, what's pushed your T-1 battleship into irrelevance is time, and accumulated wealth. If you want to nerf something, figure out how to nerf that.
Doctor Knuckles
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#99 - 2015-07-21 13:41:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Doctor Knuckles
baltec1 wrote:

Tell me why a tengu, a cruiser, should have more EHP than a megathron but with a sig a quarter the size while moving almost six times faster.

because it seems to me people keep comparing T3 pimp fit tanks + being susceptible to 3 to 5 days wasted training vs basic battleship fit's tank, or shitfit all dps filling those lows with magstabs and TEs, also ignoring BS dps, range, volley, heavy neuts, drones, mjd

put 30 proteus vs 30 tempests or machs, give those t3 pimp fits, links, and slaves, and still all that tank isn't gonna mean **** when they get volleyd off field.
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#100 - 2015-07-21 14:01:58 UTC
Elinarien wrote:
Perhaps an answer would be to give Battleships (and Marauders) additional hi-slots that can only be used to fit small-sized weapons - this way they're used as secondary armaments to deal with smaller vessels. I've always wondered by Battleships (and hence Dreadnaughts) don't have additional smaller secondary armaments to counter small fast moving vessels to reflect how large naval vessels deal with this problem in real life.

Of course I understand that drones fill that need, but maybe this is the time to consider re-working how larger-hulled ships deal with small-sized attackers.

Just a thought.

Because EVE is not real life. Ship balance is important. Putting small and large weapons on a BS is silly. Why fly a frig, cruiser, dessie when you can fit a RHML/RLML typhoon FI to kill everything in a 50km radius while having 2 heavy neuts, MJD and 130k EHP. It would be insanely OP, and it would go from cruisers online to BS online.

Larger ships are supposed to be vulnerable to smaller ships. Not solowtfpwn mobiles.