These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Unscheduled Downtime Extension – July 15, 2015

First post First post First post
Author
Eric de'Locke
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6101 - 2015-07-16 04:48:58 UTC
Riddler Ronuken wrote:
Slowdive Aideron wrote:
wrote:


20:00 UTC - PIZZA HAS BEEN ACQUIRED AND WE ARE CURRENTLY REFUELLING OUR DEVS!


Thats exactly what we do when we have some massive problems with our infrastructure at the datacenter and everyone is doing overtime.


Sit about with your dicks in your hands and eat pizza? Gee let me know which DC that is so I can make sure to never rent servers there.


Dude, can I please have your real name and what country you live in so that I can make sure that you NEVER become a client of mine and any of my friends. And I'll be sure to pass on the information to those I work with and are in my network.

I think you're forgetting one very important thing: Humans are not robots and need downtime, even if it's sitting at their desk for 15 minutes munching on a pizza with their **** in their hand. I'll bet you the programmers at CCP will be more productive in those 15 minutes than you will be ever.
Darkblad
Doomheim
#6102 - 2015-07-16 05:52:47 UTC
To those who think that the work done by everyone involved in solving this issue or keeping us updated, be in a direct on indirect way is nothing anybody should thank them for, because it's their Job and they get paid for doing so: I pity you.

Money is no effective way to motivate people. And the share that every one of us provides to the salary of those that "did their job yesterday" is tiny down to microscopic levels. I would'nt want to work in a company where no one, colleages, superiors and customers alike, considers to say thank you. Not even during and after unordinary events.

The last time I checked, we all were humans. And (most) humans are not driven by money alone. Consider to be more grateful and respectful towards those, that do their best to ensure that you are happy. An honest "Thank you" does'nt hurt.

NPEISDRIP

Titti Sabezan
SYNDIC Unlimited
#6103 - 2015-07-16 06:26:45 UTC
Darkblad wrote:
[Snipped] An honest "Thank you" does'nt hurt.



Then, "thank you".


(Can I hav my ponie now ?)
Xylem Viliana
homeless bum
#6104 - 2015-07-16 06:41:02 UTC
Hey CCP

Grats on getting it fixed, Very long day for you all too.

Take it easy and put Fozzie in a cage for a few weeks so he doesnt break more stuff :-P
Erica Hope
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6105 - 2015-07-16 06:46:38 UTC
Hi there,
great job done here. Thank you!
Bandar Koots
Doomheim
#6106 - 2015-07-16 06:49:13 UTC
Excellent stuff. The dev team should be congratulated not attacked for what was a limited period of downtime. I and many others will have played games where the devs give no explanation or excuse for downtime or glitches that can last for days or months. From the start we have been told whats happening and that it was being sorted. This is, in my view, refreshing. We were informed, kept up to date and the problem was solved. Let them eat pizza. The CCP devs deserve it.

"By His light, and His will" - The Scriptures, Gheinok the First, 12:32

HeXxploiT
Doomheim
#6107 - 2015-07-16 06:49:53 UTC
When it comes to people waiting to get their fix...i've seen shorter lines outside methodone clinics.
Wur2e
Red Phoenix Rising
The Contingent Alliance
#6108 - 2015-07-16 07:07:05 UTC
Hey, that was my line! Big smile

Interviewer: “How does it feels to fly at 20AU/sec?”

Wur2e: “It feels normal.”

HoruSeth
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#6109 - 2015-07-16 07:09:31 UTC
Irie Alixyar wrote:
If we get to page 200. I will stream myself dancing in speedos to HEYYEA (And I say)


Did this stream happened?

Want to see the video! Twisted

On my gravestone will be written: "Died because he used sarcasm in the wrong moment"

Lady Areola Fappington
#6110 - 2015-07-16 07:15:16 UTC
Eric de'Locke wrote:


Dude, can I please have your real name and what country you live in so that I can make sure that you NEVER become a client of mine and any of my friends. And I'll be sure to pass on the information to those I work with and are in my network.

I think you're forgetting one very important thing: Humans are not robots and need downtime, even if it's sitting at their desk for 15 minutes munching on a pizza with their **** in their hand. I'll bet you the programmers at CCP will be more productive in those 15 minutes than you will be ever.


Here's the funny thing...constantly working and grinding at an issue for hours on end seriously lowers your cognitive ability with that task. It's been a minute since I read the study, but right around the 3-4 hour mark if intense mental work, your ability drops drastically.

Know what restores said ability to near optimal level? A 10-15 minute break, preferably with a carb and calorie dense food, like....pizza. It restores carb levels in the body, starts shifting blood flow around, and gives the subconscious a chance to work on the problem.


Case in point, the latest downtime in Eve Online. They sat and ground at it for hours with no fix in sight. After a break to refuel and rest, a solution popped up pretty quickly.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Anke Eyrou
Hades Sisters
#6111 - 2015-07-16 07:17:18 UTC
Having given up waiting and gone to bed just before the server came back up has there been any reason given why the patch failed? Is CCP trying to forget this fiasco as this thread is no longer sticked?

I expect to get this post deleted or locked. So much for freedom of expression.

Rhamnousia Nosferatu
Out of Focus
Odin's Call
#6112 - 2015-07-16 07:28:48 UTC
Anke Eyrou wrote:
Having given up waiting and gone to bed just before the server came back up has there been any reason given why the patch failed? Is CCP trying to forget this fiasco as this thread is no longer sticked?


You act as if you've been in eve for a day or two, not years.
Thread is not stickied as the issue has been solved (for now), there will be a devblog about it some time next week.
Hopefully you used your time better then to constantly sit at your PC and refresh eve status and this thread (admittedly I did that for half an hour and found the speed at which the thread was filling up impressive).
Calm down, take a peek outside, its summertime (in northern hemisphere at least).
La Rynx
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6113 - 2015-07-16 07:29:47 UTC  |  Edited by: La Rynx
@darkblad

as admin/programmer myself, i do absolultely agree.

The complexity of large projects like EvE, make it sometimes a nightmare to debug.

Moreso:
I do not care if people are doing their job. I am always grateful that someone is doing it.
Yes, i am paying them, but still!

Its is a matter of courtesy and civility.

So

Thank you everyone at CCP for your hard work yesterday.
I can feel with you out of experince!
These thanks are also for the suppporting staff!

Atomic Virulent : "You can't spell DOUCHE. without CODE."

Tyler Startide
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6114 - 2015-07-16 07:35:12 UTC
Thank's CCP! Smile
It must've been a long night for you guys :D

If there's going to be a dev blog about this I'm looking forward to this as a programmer.
Miezu Meethos
Violent Sun
#6115 - 2015-07-16 07:38:03 UTC
It's nice the server is back online, but am I the only one missing KM.

It's like a rollback but not everything was rolled back.

What am I missing?
Anke Eyrou
Hades Sisters
#6116 - 2015-07-16 07:41:45 UTC
Rhamnousia Nosferatu wrote:
Anke Eyrou wrote:
Having given up waiting and gone to bed just before the server came back up has there been any reason given why the patch failed? Is CCP trying to forget this fiasco as this thread is no longer sticked?


You act as if you've been in eve for a day or two, not years.
Thread is not stickied as the issue has been solved (for now), there will be a devblog about it some time next week.
Hopefully you used your time better then to constantly sit at your PC and refresh eve status and this thread (admittedly I did that for half an hour and found the speed at which the thread was filling up impressive).
Calm down, take a peek outside, its summertime (in northern hemisphere at least).



I did take a peek outside once I realised that it was going to take some time to resolve this issue. It just reminded me there is life outside Eve.

I expect to get this post deleted or locked. So much for freedom of expression.

Darkblad
Doomheim
#6117 - 2015-07-16 08:03:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Darkblad
To reiterate on what I wrote before:
I once started to work at a company, where "thank you" was not only seemingly forbidden, but also the way colleagues and superiors treated each other was completely toxic as per my perception. This symptom was present from the very top (senior company owner) fully down to the bottom of the kick chain, across all departments. (Even customers told me that they noticed the bad climate of said company).
The worst two months of my employment career, until I finally drew a line and quit.

Right the next job was the total opposite and there I was able and willing to work overtime almost each day, as the situation required this. As an agency worker first, so my monetary income was bad. Not the inter-personal one, though.

NPEISDRIP

Can Barbossaa
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6118 - 2015-07-16 08:07:47 UTC
Thank you for doing the best possible tro bring Tranquility back online,

Great work

Greatings Can Barbossaa
Babycakes Muldoon
Doomheim
#6119 - 2015-07-16 08:12:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Babycakes Muldoon
Anke Eyrou wrote:
Rhamnousia Nosferatu wrote:
Anke Eyrou wrote:
Having given up waiting and gone to bed just before the server came back up has there been any reason given why the patch failed? Is CCP trying to forget this fiasco as this thread is no longer sticked?


You act as if you've been in eve for a day or two, not years.
Thread is not stickied as the issue has been solved (for now), there will be a devblog about it some time next week.
Hopefully you used your time better then to constantly sit at your PC and refresh eve status and this thread (admittedly I did that for half an hour and found the speed at which the thread was filling up impressive).
Calm down, take a peek outside, its summertime (in northern hemisphere at least).



I did take a peek outside once I realised that it was going to take some time to resolve this issue. It just reminded me there is life outside Eve.



It's crazy how many people have said that this DT has made them realize there is life outside. It's like, didn't you know already? Just how much time do you spend in front of your computer?

On the main topic, though, good work devs. Castello.Is FTW! (The Pizza to fix the unfixable) http://castello.is/
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6120 - 2015-07-16 08:23:47 UTC
I can't believe you guys managed to post hundreds of pages in a day on a topic that offers little to nothing to discuss. That's... something.

GJ CCP resolving the issues.