These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Every MMO is first a solo game.

First post
Author
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#201 - 2015-07-14 08:07:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Well since I started in 2009 I have lead a corp that got up to 80 characters, was second in command of an alliance, been director of two other corps and got involved in two attempts to create Hub Zero and got involved at a low level with teh AG movement. However in spite of this I have spent significant time playing solo, mainly because my play time does not over-lap with too many, being during the week and during the day EU time.

Eve as a game needs to have solo play for people to enjoy, and one of the issues is that the game has been made easier for hunters, earlier in this thread I explained my reasoning for my dislike of the D-scan immunity of combat recons, for me it was a direct blow on solo players and followed a number of other hits on this type of play.

Earlier I expressed displeasure that CCP does not have any meaningful hard PvE content in hisec to be met by the normal trolls having their love in that this content has to be in space that exposes them to player killers so they can get easy bling kills. The issue is that no one from hisec will go and do that content if in low sec or null, the key thing is to get something in hisec which requires group play. Of course certain trolls who maximise everything will then declare that Elite mission runners will find a way to run them solo so CCP should not do it.

Why create a type of mission that requires group play but does not expose you to player killers, simple, its to get people wanting to join a corp (due to reps) and to get used to group play, and having such content in hisec may start to break some of the hisec player base away from solo play.

Null sec anoms are going to be improved with the current sov changes, no matter what the trolls say being in Deklin with the Goons is the best way to make ISK in the game. Incursions can only be run by so many and doing level 4's is mind crushingly boring. The best fun I had in game was making ISK belt ratting in NPC Stain in 2010 when I had people actively hunting me, and if you can get some PvP out of it too where you make them make mistakes its pure joy, I made 20m an hour, and I was called a noob by people earning more, who had no idea at the tactical and strategic skill I had to use to make that 20m, yes I was a noob, lol.

Solo play is part of this game even if you dual box, and CCP needs to accomodate that, because do you really want your player base sitting around idle while waiting for others to log on?

CCP needs to create meaningful group play in hisec and even if you need to keep the rewards down, just do it, I want to be in there with my mates having a laugh and not have to keep a massive watch list of all those lame players who only log on to kill something and who are in fact destroying Eve with that type of play. They hunt people who try to do something in this game and part of my irritation in terms of this game is that CCP fails to understand just how destructive this is to their player base. Do I really want to have multiple watch lists for all the hot dropopers and other bored people just waiting for someone to do something, no, its like watching paint dry.

You can listen to Kaarous and Jenn and just continue ignoring the reduction in hisec players, but this will hurt you CCP. When we saw that CCP were attempting to change things that had caused stagnation in the game I got a number of players back, we are not happy with the direction of these changes, the ability to get API data on sov makes it too easy for this ping players to just log on and kill as third parties, but we have decided to keep subbing with real money to show our support, but I can tell you now, I will no longer do it in 2016 if I feel you being CCP have not realised what you need to do.

I have had a lot of fun with this game, but lets be clear, I and many like me see no fun in being patsies for people like PL and others like them, if that is your game design then Eve will die.

EDIT: For the trolls, I spent the majority of my time in null sec, so saying things like not leaving hisec is very wide of the mark and shows your inability to check back on someones killboard.

I refer to the people who just login to kill someone as lame, what benefit are they giving to Eve, especially if they are just paying for their plex with ISK that they have built up over many years of play?

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#202 - 2015-07-14 08:22:17 UTC
i dont see this reduction can you link some data, every night i log in the players are increasing from when i started so im not sure what this reduction is you talk of, but still i see no benefit in creating more content for people who are too lazy to leave the bubble of highsec, group pve is available elsewhere you have to go and find it instead of gripping onto highsec. as said plenty of people operate out of low and null to do lvl 5's, fw missions, pirate missions, incursions etc, why should you be spoonfed this content because you want to feel safe?

ccp designed this content so that people would explore the map, not just hang around 1 area and think "i dont need to go anywhere i have everything i need here" its not good for the game.

stop referring to players who try to kill you as lame, you are the one who is too scared to leave highsec because people may disrupt your game

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#203 - 2015-07-14 08:24:28 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
What most people fail to understand is every MMO is a multiplayer game. It's technically impossible to solo in a MMO even when "soloing".

Take me for example. People suck, I hate them both in and out of game however even as a soloer my early piracy affected many, my helping in Help chan helped many, my war decs affected thousands, my creation of Privateers caused many to fear high sec and the changes to war decs in response to that changed the mechanics of the game. In later years my AFK Cloaking raids in alliance hubs emptied prime systems and my wisdom here on the forums and exposure of the cash faucets of nullsec created fear and loathing among the nullsec aristocracy.

And I've barely been in a gang throughout my 10+ years of EvE Online.

That's odd, most people I encounter are pretty nice, or at least briefly tolerable.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Lady Areola Fappington
#204 - 2015-07-14 08:32:14 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Eve as a game needs to have solo play for people to enjoy, and one of the issues is that the game has been made easier for hunters, earlier in this thread I explained my reasoning for my dislike of the D-scan immunity of combat recons, for me it was a direct blow on solo players and followed a number of other hits on this type of play.

I'm sorry, but I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. Pretty much every metric used to measure "success" in this game shows that players who engage with others, in whatever assorted multiplayer content they choose, play longer, stay subbed longer, and are more devoted to the success of Eve Online as a whole.

You don't even need "hard data" from CCP, all you have to do is look at the game map. Nullsec is held not by individual people wandering around solo. It's held by groups of people, engaging in multiplayer play of one type or another, interacting with other people.

I mean, for the MMOG world, this has been pretty much the standard regardless of game. Players who group up and form social bonds stay longer. Players who strictly engage in "solo" play without interaction leave.

Simply put, humans are social creatures. For the vast majority of us, we derive more entertainment value via forming relationships with others, than we ever could consuming solitary content. The social drive is so powerful that even a negative interaction like getting ganked encourages people to remain in the game.

I'll explain it here, as a dev once explained it to me long ago. PVE content in Eve is not intended to be consumed "as-is". The goal in PVE content (and all content really), is to drive more player interaction and conflict.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#205 - 2015-07-14 08:50:27 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

You can listen to Kaarous and Jenn and just continue ignoring the reduction in hisec players, but this will hurt you CCP.

See, you lot always claim that, but then CCP, the only people with the hard data on the matter (because it certainly isn't you, as we established earlier), seemed to have zero issue dropping potentially thousands of ISBoxer characters. It hasn't seemed to bother them at all, in fact.

I wonder who's right...? Wait, no I don't wonder that at all.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#206 - 2015-07-14 08:57:41 UTC
I would like to further address the type of player I call lame:

During the last attempt at Hub Zero we came across a player who was an NCDOT. player and they had their ISK earning alts in the area we had chosen, if I had known that I would not have gone there.

Some of my group knew this person and defined him as a good lad, this changed my attitude a bit, which I will come to later.

I offered myself as the sacrificial lamb and tried to get them to focus on camping me, while others operated elsewhere, it worked up until one of my group boasted about this in local.

Sadly the NCDOT. player then decided to cheat, he blanket cloaky camped 12 systems by using other peoples accounts, we worked this out because we had them on our watch list and we would note that as soon as one logged on suddenly a number would log off then back in. We also got someone in that group who confirmed this to me. I made a decision not to grass him up to CCP because he was a good lad. I should also point out that in my opinion CCP should be checking for this type of activity and yet don't, I see no reason why I have to be a grass because of their incompetence in managing people who cheat.

CODE, the funny thing about them is that they will grass you up on any little thing that they can do, they play the meta, this was also the mode of operation of another of the campers who was personally after Aaron. He went out of his way to report any one who used a bad word, oh the poor little mouse... When I first went on the AG channel I used a none word, and all the CODE spies reported me to CCP. The amusing thing is that I knew that this would happen and it was a quick way to just see how infiltrated it was. What is the intent of this grassing by CODE, to make people antagonistic to the AG group, but still its childish and does not work with people who understand the meta game.

On these forums we have certain people who attack anyone who says certain things, they + each other and also log in their alts to + rep their posts and go off on tangents like proof, oh dear CCP does not supply this data do they so your wrong, yeah right.

Eve is a MMO but it does need to have play for people who play solo, because you have to be able to do something in game even while others are not logged in, makes sense doesn't it, but not to teh trolls and those that want to kill Eve.

There is a significant reduction in teh numbers of people in hisec, I see it just by sitting in a major pipe system, the throughput of people passing through has reduced by 30%, proof, nope, but its what I see with my own eyes. Anyway only CCP know and they are not telling...

Enjoy...

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#207 - 2015-07-14 09:01:46 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

There is a significant reduction in teh numbers of people in hisec, I see it just by sitting in a major pipe system, the throughput of people passing through has reduced by 30%, proof, nope, but its what I see with my own eyes. Anyway only CCP know and they are not telling...

Enjoy...

maybe the reduction is because people have moved to other areas where they can try other things, because you know...not everything is in highsec

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#208 - 2015-07-14 09:09:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Robert Caldera
you can do solo, but you need tons of alts for it. Thats the bad part about eve, its alt-centric gameplay which turns me off more and more with time passing by, just getting tired of keeping army of alts around me.
Lady Areola Fappington
#209 - 2015-07-14 09:10:02 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

CODE, the funny thing about them is that they will grass you up on any little thing that they can do, they play the meta, this was also the mode of operation of another of the campers who was personally after Aaron. He went out of his way to report any one who used a bad word, oh the poor little mouse... When I first went on the AG channel I used a none word, and all the CODE spies reported me to CCP. The amusing thing is that I knew that this would happen and it was a quick way to just see how infiltrated it was. What is the intent of this grassing by CODE, to make people antagonistic to the AG group, but still its childish and does not work with people who understand the meta game.

So basically what you're saying here is "I'm mad that I broke the EULA/ToS and got caught." Sorry man, but abiding by the EULA/ToS when it comes to interacting with other players isn't "playing the meta". It's following the rules as they are laid out by CCP. No, getting your ship exploded in a ship exploding game does not give you any sort of "right" to go off on someone like that.

And yes, you're right. Every time a gank target flings abuse, threats, homophobic slurs and the like at me just because I've engaged in a legitimate game activity, they will get reported. I've dealt with crap like that my entire life, and I'm not going to deal with it in a game I play to relax and have fun.

I'd much rather have an Eve world with (marginally) lower sub numbers, if those subs aren't being abusive to other players.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Black Pedro
Mine.
#210 - 2015-07-14 09:11:48 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
I mean, for the MMOG world, this has been pretty much the standard regardless of game. Players who group up and form social bonds stay longer. Players who strictly engage in "solo" play without interaction leave.

Simply put, humans are social creatures. For the vast majority of us, we derive more entertainment value via forming relationships with others, than we ever could consuming solitary content. The social drive is so powerful that even a negative interaction like getting ganked encourages people to remain in the game.

I'll explain it here, as a dev once explained it to me long ago. PVE content in Eve is not intended to be consumed "as-is". The goal in PVE content (and all content really), is to drive more player interaction and conflict.
And this is why some of the the more vocal voices on the forum react so strongly for calls for more safety, more isolation from the sandbox, buffing of "solo" play, the walling off of new players, and similar such ideas. At their core these things undermine the social and interactive universe CCP is trying to build.

PvE is there primarily for you to get you to expose yourself to other players in a PvP game - that is just the fundamental truth to the game design. Sure it is a sandbox and you can just do PvE, just like you can only do industry or make your goal to visit every system or collect one of each item, but as part of the single universe design of New Eden PvE is there as a reward for making yourself a target to other players. It fundamentally breaks things to make "scripted content" that cannot be influenced by the rest of the universe just because someone wants to have "a few laughs" with their friends.

Sure, you could make some walled off PvE content that only provided vanity rewards without disrupting the greater economy, but what would be the point? Developer resources would be better spent of fostering the development of the single universe that is the unique selling point of the game, and on stuff that is proven to retain players better than PvE content.

CCP has made a calculated decision to up the risk for players everywhere in everyspace. It isn't just d-scan immune recons; changes to wormhole spawning, anomalies, Drifters, interceptors, Sov mechanics, wormhole jumping, and so forth are all there to make people less safe and secure in what they do. Stuff needs to blow up in this game for it to keep working and CCP realizes this. Some people cannot handle loss and will increasingly find less things accessible to them as their risk-aversion limits them from even trying, while others will embrace the interactions this increased conflict promotes and have a richer and longer time in Eve.

You can't please everyone all the time. That is just reality.

CCP Seagull has stated her vision and it is clear what direction this game is heading in: more conflict, more player interactions, less solo play, less safety. Better buckle up for the ride.

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#211 - 2015-07-14 09:18:08 UTC
Proof, it would be quite silly and perhaps fun for me to just turn around and say to these strident calls for proof to say prove that I am wrong, but what is the point.

The Star Citizen event was simply I came across 10 ex-eve players 9 of them had been ganked in mining ships and had left the game due to the inadequate protection these ships had. It was interesting for me as for years I was saying to CCP along with others that it was bad game balance to have the best protected Exhumer with such a weak tank that a single destroyer could destroy it and pod the character in a 1.0 system. It took CCP too long to work that out and they lost a lot of players due to this.

Proof, well I met ten people in a organisation that was interested in trading and production, so hardly representative of Eve as a whole, but even then it is a telling number who all had the same issue that meant they left the game.

All I can say is that the Skiff rocks and that is why you often see CODE players complaining about it.

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#212 - 2015-07-14 09:23:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Dracvlad wrote:

So basically what you're saying here is "I'm mad that I broke the EULA/ToS and got caught." Sorry man, but abiding by the EULA/ToS when it comes to interacting with other players isn't "playing the meta". It's following the rules as they are laid out by CCP. No, getting your ship exploded in a ship exploding game does not give you any sort of "right" to go off on someone like that.

And yes, you're right. Every time a gank target flings abuse, threats, homophobic slurs and the like at me just because I've engaged in a legitimate game activity, they will get reported. I've dealt with crap like that my entire life, and I'm not going to deal with it in a game I play to relax and have fun.

I'd much rather have an Eve world with (marginally) lower sub numbers, if those subs aren't being abusive to other players.

That player I mentioned who was picking up on any naughty word in local and reporting them if they were in the Hub Zero group, well I spoke to CCP about his misuse of the system and they dealt with it.

And you are what I would call a grass pure and simple, you are playing the meta to get at them at a personal level, just as all this role playing pap you use to wind people up that you have ganked. Yes its within the rules, and clever meta play but you are still a grass!

I personally would rather play with adults who don't get so easily offended, taht they have to go cry about it.

EDIT: Not crying, I knew I would be reported, but you little lambs could not help yourself, it was funny and caused me so much amusement, you grass!

EDIT 2: Simple thing, its deliberate policy on your part, you blow up some poor saps mining barge, you grandly tell him in local that he is a criminal and that he should follow the CODE and then if he swears or reacts you go and report his strong words, this poor sap has lost his shipp that he took time to get into, and you wind him up to react and then CCP slaps his wrists, and that person feels a victim of the game and may well drop out and you enjoy that, well played well played indeed, I wonder if the CCP employee sending that mail cringes inside at the potential loss of another paying customer...

Josef Djugashvilis
#213 - 2015-07-14 09:29:21 UTC
I have played pretty much solo for my eight years in the game.

I accept the limits this imposes on me, but it my choice, no one forces me to play solo.

Team working takes a lot of effort and is justly rewarded.

This is not a signature.

Lady Areola Fappington
#214 - 2015-07-14 09:33:14 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

That player I mentioned who was picking up on any naughty word in local and reporting them if they were in the Hub Zero group, well I spoke to CCP about his misuse of the system and they dealt with it.

And you are what I would call a grass pure and simple, you are playing the meta to get at them at a personal level, just as all this role playing pap you use to wind people up that you have ganked. Yes its within the rules, and clever meta play but you are still a grass!

I personally would rather play with adults who don't get so easily offended, taht they have to go cry about it.

EDIT: Not crying, I knew I would be reported, but you little lambs could not help yourself, it was funny and caused me so much amusement, you grass!

I'm not entirely sure what world you live in exactly, but over in the land of grown-ups, It's generally considered pretty immature and childish to run around screaming RL threats of violence, assorted slurs, profanity and the like to people you don't know. Doubly so when the owners of the area you are in, be it virtual or physical, expressly prohibit such behaviour.

If you act like a prepubescent 12 year old screaming profanity, you'll be treated like a prepubescent 12 year old screaming profanity. If you can't handle playing by the rules, I'm sorry for ya.

Etara Silverblade
Morex Group Inc.
Haven.
#215 - 2015-07-14 09:37:35 UTC
I've played solo for most of my 7 years and it's not for lack of trying to join corps and alliances. I just hate having to wait for people to be online or for them to be ready for the roam that was scheduled for a certain time. I think more then anything it's the players not CCP that cause me to play solo. Most of them are just annoying bastards.

The other issue I have is that if you don't PVP in the traditional sense there's usually no place for you in the large alliances. So how does one join in the fun when you build **** rather then blow it up, when you fly logi rather then DPS, or do any of the other things you can do in Eve that can't really be done in a group.

There needs to be more opportunity to work as a group in things that don't involve shooting others directly.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#216 - 2015-07-14 09:37:47 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
The Star Citizen event was simply I came across 10 ex-eve players 9 of them had been ganked in mining ships and had left the game due to the inadequate protection these ships had.
Dracvlad wrote:
All I can say is that the Skiff rocks and that is why you often see CODE players complaining about it.

So can you make up your mind please? Is there a problem with the mining ships or where this players bad at the game and cried and quit without even exploring their in-game options?
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#217 - 2015-07-14 09:37:48 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what world you live in exactly, but over in the land of grown-ups, It's generally considered pretty immature and childish to run around screaming RL threats of violence, assorted slurs, profanity and the like to people you don't know. Doubly so when the owners of the area you are in, be it virtual or physical, expressly prohibit such behaviour.

If you act like a prepubescent 12 year old screaming profanity, you'll be treated like a prepubescent 12 year old screaming profanity. If you can't handle playing by the rules, I'm sorry for ya.

Christopher Hitchens a very educated and respected man, he used to swear at times, so what, stop being a baby!

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#218 - 2015-07-14 09:40:00 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
The Star Citizen event was simply I came across 10 ex-eve players 9 of them had been ganked in mining ships and had left the game due to the inadequate protection these ships had.
Dracvlad wrote:

So can you make up your mind please? Is there a problem with the mining ships or where this players bad at the game and cried and quit without even exploring their in-game options?

That was before they made the change so you could actually jump into a ship with a tank, your reading and comprehension skills fail, notice that I did say that the best tanked Exhumer could be taken out by a single destroyer in a 1.0 system and the pilot podded too, that was the period I referred to. wow are you that bad on Eve balance history...

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#219 - 2015-07-14 09:45:49 UTC
There is a place for both solo and group play. Creating a balance between the two is very difficult but it's doable. It'll always be harder to solo that's a given - problem is CCP set on to make it literally suicidal.

Two Lokis vs 1 Loki is naturally tough to beat if you're the lone Loki but when you factor in links given 30% more boosts for each of the two it becomes ridiculously tough.

You can have every skill trained to 5 in mind linking but unless you have some alt in a gang in system it does jack.

One prime example of how the mechanics are designed to nerf solo players against 2 or more combatants when solo vs 2 or more is already naturally hard.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

flakeys
Doomheim
#220 - 2015-07-14 10:05:02 UTC  |  Edited by: flakeys
Hir Miriel wrote:
I'm concerned.

The foundation of every MMO is solo play.

But what tends to happen is people see Multiplayer and assume that everyone wants to form gangs.

It's absolutely not true.

We can see that echoed in this dev blog...

"We have never been particularly satisfied with how the majority of Sov upgrade PVE content tends to lean towards solo or multibox play. "

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/summer-of-sov-nullsec-pve-and-upgrades/

Uhm no , every mmorpg is in it's foundation a multiplayer game WITH the ability to play solo too in most cases.

That said i do prefer my playstyle to not swing either way but to do one playstyle after the other for X months .Both styles can be quite enjoying for a while.Downside of soloplay is it can get boring and you can get blobbed easily ,downside of multiplay people can get boring/annoying and you tend to blob easily.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.