These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

OK no more complaining about CCP not opening the CQ door

Author
Jacques d'Orleans
#21 - 2015-07-07 18:47:11 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
"All encompassing" games are really f**king hard.

And yes this is also about Star Citizen.

Saw the name Derek Smart and closed the page without reading! Sorry, but this guy is just a "bollocking wanker"!
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#22 - 2015-07-07 19:10:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Webvan wrote:
Yeah they dumped the fps module from it. I'm sure most people that followed and were in tune with EnB and SWG development already had an idea how this was going to turn out. Yes just like the complications with WiS. Of course that was doomed to failure from the get-go seeing how even continued development of it effected WoD with just purely the bipedal play. It's just not something technically achievable in a good way, either bipedal or spaceships are going to suffer, can't have both in the same game client, not to full potential.

Almost makes one wonder if SC Online'ish was just a huge scam, I mean how could seasoned developers have not known with so many examples of failure and/or limited results? In the end though, it's just damages the genre. Belittle every other existing game for so long with the hype machine while they grab cash. Not delivering on the promises. Then leaving players who interested for years in the mmo space-sim genre just discouraged and bitter now looking for some other genre to pursue as they give up on space of which they are all still convinced by the past hype is all just worthless and boring.

Dude. The reason WiS affected WoD is because devs were pulled from WoD to make WiS. White Wolf was cannibalized. WiS and the SC fps module are avatar experiences, and they're both in video games, but the management of the two are hardly relevant beyond that.

There were some good points in the article, like the suitability of the game engine to the gameplay. Cryengine seems odd, but only because SC's goals are lofty--they want the 3D models to take damage based on where they're hit. That isn't so alarming to me.

One reason I believe... believed SC can be successful is the quality of the developers. When you get talented people together, the rate of progress over a team of checkbox degree holders is immense. I haven't heard about the types of management problems that can cause those types of team compositions to fail.

Except for the stretch goal promises thing.

They have a lot of work ahead of them, but the $150M figure for a typical studio isn't automatically damning. That could be for a shipped game, with pre-existing staff, with conventional investor funding. I'm willing to believe the devs working on SC can manage to release playable portions of a game with their budget.

I want to say the prediction that the game will not be made is a bit much. Derek Smart might not be able to comprehend it, but that could just mean he's not the caliber of individual like those working on SC. Talent, creativity, and problem solving are very real skills that are not conferred with degrees. Or experience.

You gain experience, but I'm talking about the ability to make progress when breaking new ground, and integrate past experiences. You don't get better at solving new problems by solving problems, it's an ability people do or don't have. For someone who doesn't have it, and only has conventional points of reference to base their judgment on, yeah, SC could seem impossible.

No idea if he was smart about his own games, using tools like procedural generation. He talks about SC as an undertaking like they're going to texture every square foot of a galaxy. Which makes me think he did things the hard way.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#23 - 2015-07-07 19:18:05 UTC  |  Edited by: DaReaper
Nana Skalski wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
"Walking in Stations" and World of Darkness suffered from the problem that nobody knew what their scope actually was

I don't believe it. Venturing in the new areas must be made with preparations, one must ask himself what he wants to achieve. Diving head first in murky waters is a dangerous thing.

CCP risked microtransactions bundled with WIS and they were scolded, so they went back to fixing EVE endlessly while making other games on the side.

its a little more complicated then that.

The eve player base did not give a **** about micro transactions, we did not care. The $75 monicole we would of shrugged it off and moved on. Hell a lot of people have shrugged it off, and it has become a symbol of wealth in eve.

The problem is, that at the time of the riots you had four things hit at the same time. Alone the players would of been ok with it, maybe annoyed, but this is ccp we are talking about. however, having all four hit at once and build on top of each other, with the memo being the frosting that bound it all together, then you have the explosion of the riots.

The four things ofc were:

1) The neglect of eve and all the broken/failing systems

2) 18 month.. no actually four years of dev time wasted on a single room

3) Outragious micro transaction prices, so they were not micro

4) Greed is good, and the hint of the possibility of new stuff being AUR only (non cosmetic).

All four combined caused the riots. not just WiS. It was the perception that CCP was saying '**** you" to its player base.

The EVE ambulation project was awesome, this would of been great. The basic design around it in 2007 was amazing... then they scrapped it. Then the scrapped the new stuff. etc. IIRC WoD and WiS went through four complete rewrites. Thats when you start having problems. Focus was lost, and somehow ccp got $$$ in their eyes.

The problem now, is ccp might be heading int hat direction again. Not with Valk, or Legion, but wiht there other ideas. The VR workshop, unless you tie it into eve in someway is them starting to over reach again. CCP has to walk a thin line for expansion, and over reaching and ignoring eve will be CCP's down fall. Unless valk bring sin a **** load of money, CCP lives and Dies on eve.

But on topic. If SC scraps any part of it, like the FPS module, i predict you will see if fila cascade and explode. Its going to be interesting to watch,

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#24 - 2015-07-07 19:21:17 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
"Walking in Stations" and World of Darkness suffered from the problem that nobody knew what their scope actually was

I don't believe it. Venturing in the new areas must be made with preparations, one must ask himself what he wants to achieve. Diving head first in murky waters is a dangerous thing.

CCP risked microtransactions bundled with WIS and they were scolded, so they went back to fixing EVE endlessly while making other games on the side.

I wouldn't either, but go ahead and look it up. CSM 5 spent its entire term trying to get any kind of answer from CCP about what the gameplay would entail, to the point of open revolt (the "little things" fix-it list drawn up by CSM 4, and largely implemented years later in Crucible, was another sore point). There used to be some amazing videos on YouTube of CCP talking about licensing WiS out for virtual runways to be used by high-end fashion designers, and that's pretty much the only concrete feature--it's why every avatar walks like a runway model and every CQ has a runway. Everything else was pie-in-the-sky stuff about how it would be better than reality. That's not to say that there could not be any gameplay. the earlier effort, Ambulation, had some good ideas. Walking in Stations was just supposed to be "awesome," I guess. That, and the development methodology was so terrible that I'm sure the art department gets hives every time someone mentions avatar gameplay.

World of Darkness made it to alpha three times (alpha in the technical sense, meaning feature complete but slow/buggy) only to be discarded and clean-sheeted three times. The third time, they just threw their hands up and gave up on the project. The only rational explanation for that is that they waited until a full workup just to determine if the game satisfied some nebulous and unquantifiable standard, instead of working the game up in advance and then developing it.

At a certain point, early on, you have to say, "this is the game we're making" and then commit to making it. The alternative is, well, World of Darkness. Or Star Citizen. Scope creep is death. No scope is stillbirth.

this pretty much. They had no idea WTF they were doing with it, so it went a bit wacko. Same with Dust. they had no idea how to tie it in, so its fell flat.

Eve For life.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#25 - 2015-07-07 19:25:27 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
One reason I believe... believed SC can be successful is the quality of the developers. When you get talented people together, the rate of progress over a team of checkbox degree holders is immense. I haven't heard about the types of management problems that can cause those types of team compositions to fail.

Except for the stretch goal promises thing.

They have a lot of work ahead of them, but the $150M figure for a typical studio isn't automatically damning. That could be for a shipped game, with pre-existing staff, with conventional investor funding. I'm willing to believe the devs working on SC can manage to release playable portions of a game with their budget.

I want to say the prediction that the game will not be made is a bit much. Derek Smart might not be able to comprehend it, but that could just mean he's not the caliber of individual like those working on SC. Talent, creativity, and problem solving are very real skills that are not conferred with degrees. Or experience.

On the other hand, bright, talented people can still bite off more than they can chew.

I'd give Star Citizen much higher odds of success if they weren't trying to solve every problem in gaming at once, at maximum visual fidelity. It's not the budget for me, it's the everything-all-at-once approach. Never mind design or development, that's an integration and testing nightmare.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#26 - 2015-07-07 19:27:52 UTC
My issue with SC is they keep adding.. and adding... and adding more and more things. When they should of scaled it down, got the core **** working, then slowly add to that.

CR is not a god, and is not perfect, he had two large failures and 2 successes. If he can;t keep a handle on his time table and features, SC will go down in flames.

Eve For life.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#27 - 2015-07-07 19:28:48 UTC
Yeah. The thesis of the article should have been about caution in committing to too much at once.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#28 - 2015-07-07 19:30:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Walking in Stations was just supposed to be "awesome," I guess.

I was taking into consideration not only ambulation that was to be scraped because of the engine change as I remember it, but also the avatar exploration concept with demo. They had concept, but these concepts were troubled by technology that was to be updated and this greed thing. EVE spaceship part being in a state of neglect as people were thinking, but it was to be solved by little things, double way thing, fixing EVE and making WIS simultanously, all fuelled by you know what...
There was a strong push to monetize everything in that time one would think, as this monocle gate emerged and even this licensing thing. Someone in upper management was completely parted from gaming and watched only ISK count. By ISK I mean Icelandic Krona.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#29 - 2015-07-07 19:36:53 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
every avatar walks like a runway model

Daaamn right
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#30 - 2015-07-07 19:38:34 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Yeah. The thesis of the article should have been about caution in committing to too much at once.

The article is mostly about flogging his MMO, as far as I can tell. But his points are worth considering.

On paper, CCP's approach makes more sense. They just faceplanted on execution.

Nina Skalski wrote:
I was taking into consideration not only ambulation that was to be scraped because of the engine change as I remember it, but also the avatar exploration concept with demo. They had concept, but these concepts were troubled by technology that was to be updated and this greed thing. EVE spaceship part being in a state of neglect as people were thinking, but it was to be solved by little things, double way thing, fixing EVE and making WIS simultanously, all fuelled by you know what...

The exploration concept came later, and it was done right. It was as much a proof of concept of a sustainable design and development methodology as anything to do with avatar gameplay. I'm sure some of that work is going into the new PVE design and creation tools that CCP says it's working on.

Atlanta had developed some pretty sick environment design tools. I hope somebody kept them.

Nina Skalski wrote:
Someone in upper management was completely parted from gaming

That'll get you every time.

I voted in CSM X!

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#31 - 2015-07-07 19:49:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
If I wanted to **** the next several years of my life, I would work on a spase game.

You know what's really dumb, that vampire game that named itself something related to WoD. You could start a new vampire IP and CCP would have no claim on it based on what was developed.

The name was out of spite and it was too easy to make a C&D stick.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#32 - 2015-07-07 20:09:56 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
The exploration concept came later, and it was done right.

But it was cancelled. Scolding in monocle gate was painfull as it involved silence in a room where money talks, subbs cancelled. it was painfull, and without direct monetization and a lot of work to redirect again from WoD to it, was probably a thing behind cancelling it.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#33 - 2015-07-07 20:20:53 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
My issue with SC is they keep adding.. and adding... and adding more and more things. When they should of scaled it down, got the core **** working, then slowly add to that.

CR is not a god, and is not perfect, he had two large failures and 2 successes. If he can;t keep a handle on his time table and features, SC will go down in flames.

Yeah feature creep is a sure path to failure. I have a software project on hand that I completed a year ago, way over expected time because of feature creep, and now a year later new stuff has come along and even yesterday I was reviewing it for changes and lo and behold, the features that caused some big delays were not even necessary and only made the program run slower and with less accurate results. Even worse, because of being blinded by the "everything looks like a nail" syndrome, there were things that should not have been done by the computer but by someone getting persistent data by other means and then creating a data set instead of trying to process math heavy solutions in real time (basically it's like putting a huge pair of boots in a washing machine).

SC might become another example of what is best known as "delusion of grandeur". They probably could have started "space first" but then I have only scant experience with game systems (from back when we were reading DXF files in C++ and wrapping panels with bitmaps ourselves - good times in 3' of snow)

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Herzog Wolfhammer
#34 - 2015-07-07 20:22:58 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
every avatar walks like a runway model

Daaamn right

I'm too sexy for everything in the NeX store.

Even if I do look like Snape. The women love Snape (I'm told).

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#35 - 2015-07-07 20:28:08 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
If I wanted to **** the next several years of my life, I would work on a spase game.

You know what's really dumb, that vampire game that named itself something related to WoD. You could start a new vampire IP and CCP would have no claim on it based on what was developed.

The name was out of spite and it was too easy to make a C&D stick.

The problem is that what people wanted/wants is a WoD game. They want to play exactly that franchise with a certain ruleset and all the existing lore (some of which is not suit to MMOs, like time shifting magic).

I don't know why CCP bought White Wolf. But what they did to the WoD franchise is plain ashaming. CCP should begin each day flogging themselves over what they did to White Wolf, World of Darkness and the people who worked in the WoD project... the people who built THREE CAPTAIN QUARTERS in half the time it took to the Reykjavik bastards to build the Minmatar ghetto room, although it was not their job.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#36 - 2015-07-07 20:30:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Delusions of grandeur, Haha. Yes. Delusions that made people take for granted the success of Incarna fuelled by neckbeards with hardon for pretty avatar babes in bikini suits emoting f u to a guy that neary killed him outside station, well just by thinking about it being a possibility, because it was nothing like that.

Unfortunately only few of those stayed to this time. And those who stayed are considering leaving after rest as shift has been made from attire to ship skins. So making WIS bis is not an option in this or other timelines now.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#37 - 2015-07-07 21:11:24 UTC
It's pretty entertaining to see unimaginative iterations on the UI.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#38 - 2015-07-07 21:30:31 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
The exploration concept came later, and it was done right.

But it was cancelled.

No it wasn't. It ran to completion, and was declared a success by CCP Unifex.

It never made it into the game, but that would have been several new projects anyway, and it would have depended on the existence of tools that CCP either didn't have or hadn't adopted for EVE, specifically environmental and interior design tools. (Which is why I hope they kept the WoD toolset--but it sounds from comments by CCP Affinity that they're starting from scratch, so maybe not.) Team PVE is finally getting some tools, so maybe when they've got those to a good place CCP can revisit this? Or not. In any case, it's not just a question of enabling avatar gameplay. There are implications well beyond that. Another example: there's been the question of what your ship would do while you were running around in a ruined station. Right now, that's kind of awkward. Once CCP has the mooring mechanic shipped, and they can make ruined stations instances of the new shiny space buildings instead of making them LCOs, that question is a lot easier to answer.

I voted in CSM X!

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#39 - 2015-07-07 22:31:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Mina Sebiestar
Aside dude talking about his games a lot hi do have a points I just don't see them as new for all I see every time some video is on from SC it is mentioned how huge and hard this undertake is just without doom and gloom.

Maybe it is me but as far as goals go only few ones (20 million funding mark) are getting in initial release of the game everything else supposed to be added discarded at later point.

Considering that they will open SC world last that means flight Sim aka arena style and that same thing but on ground and foundry 42 aka missions should not be hard to achieve due to them being separate modules.

But SC universe....I don't hold my breath for any of it...hype is gone would be cool tho.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Herzog Wolfhammer
#40 - 2015-07-07 22:38:38 UTC
If CCP has anything beyond that door they should just implement it and do it while drunk. I don't care if we go falling through the floor into space and end up floating around the station with everybody pointing and laughing. P

Bring back DEEEEP Space!