These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Thunderdome - July 2015 series!

Author
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#441 - 2015-08-30 05:11:46 UTC
Well, Valkin and I had our match and the win goes to Valkin.
His Onyx with damps turned out to be a pretty hard counter to my kitey Navy Omen.
It was either bore each other to death or a face full of missiles for me. I really hate boredom.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/48770210/

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Valkin Mordirc
#442 - 2015-08-30 05:23:38 UTC
https://zkillboard.com/kill/48770210/

Looks like I get to move up.

:Obligatory commentary:

So I was doing some crafting and after my rather embarrassing loss against immortal I went out to trying and figure out away to keep that from happening. I figured Damps would probably be my best bet. But I knew just one wasn't going to be enough. I needed at least three to trying to force a fight into my own personal brawler comfort zone. I looked through all the faction ships first, but couldn't really find a ship that worked well for me in my favour. Ashi, and the strat could only hold a max of two damps, with the idea of keeping the tank active, I would still need a Cap booster, and a MWD, and still have the reasonable CPU and tank to keep up.

They both seemed to work out fairly well, but I actually stumbled into something that seemed to work very well. The Onyx. Seems counter-intuitive right? A Heavy Tackle ship that wasn't going to use in it's purpose built role. Well all the HIC can support a stupid amount of tank. And the Oynx has a six mid set up, if I forgo any tackle at all at the expensive on turning the limitless area of the Thunderdome into a small 40km area. Which meant RLML could hit easily into it and tackle and speed were fairly much not needed.

With a Three damp, Adaptive, MWD and XL-ASB. for the Mids, I could've gone without the Adaptive but I know Omar liked his blasters and So just incase he did bring a demios or something of the sort I went with more tank that a Scram or other mid utility.

The Highs needed to be RLML as the range of them synergized well with the damps. With using the Adaptive Invul, I was able to use a Rig slot for an ANCI and that allowed the utility High-slot to fit a Medium nos comfortably.

So this is what I came up with.

[Onyx, Onyx]
Damage Control II
Ballistic Control System II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster
Phased Muon Sensor Disruptor I

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II
Medium Diminishing Power System Drain I

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II

So with all that, I was rocking a pretty knarly tank. I had a blue pill, but I wasn't rocking a Crystal set. I had a Mid-grade Slave at the time, and the rest was a 4% implant which wasn't needed and Hybrid modifiers.

So with a pretty good plan in set. Me and Omar had our match.

He brought a Nomen. Nomens are really good ships. But I knew that with the Damps he would have to be inside my range. He lands at 60km and Lock them up and apply the damps. He floats out at 60km, he is by far faster then me, so after only trying briefly to catch him, I hold back.

He slowly starts to move in, and manages to lock me up at 40km. I open fire at him and manages to start landing hits on me. He does a very good job at keep his range though. He never once dropped into sub 20km ranges. So if I was scram fitted I wouldn't be able to shut him down, and it kept him out of neut range.

But at this range I out DPS him and out tank him, so he pulls back and recovers armor before trying again. I try to target his drones, but due to some overview failures, I have some troubles getting them locked. My overview fu is admittedly weak.

Eventually though, it ended. My Onyx was thankfully capable of beating out the Nomen. Good fight Omar. ^.^

#DeleteTheWeak
Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#443 - 2015-08-30 13:24:47 UTC
Great idea with the HIC.

A great example of thinking out of the box... Omar likely said "WTF?" when it landed on grid...

Bracket updated

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#444 - 2015-08-30 23:07:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Demerius Xenocratus
Tengu Grib wrote:
Leto Thule wrote:
Tengu Grib wrote:

Rattlesnake was a strong choice. I agree, it has a lot of strengths, and not many weaknesses.

Well done sirs, entertaining to watch to say the least.

Its like a big Gila that reps.

It's drones are noticeably less mobile though. I guess that's one thing against it. It's drones are either slow and can be outrun (maybe not by a BS but still) or stationary and have to contend with tracking and fixed optimal.

Geckos are almost as fast as medium drones, can be faster off a bonused hull with a drone nav comp.

Terrifying ship.

I want to see someone use a Machariel. Battlecruiser mobility in a battleship duel seems like it would be devastating.

EDIT: Just watched video. The damage and HP on those sentry drones...dear god. And then missiles on top of that.
Valkin Mordirc
#445 - 2015-08-30 23:39:42 UTC
Yeah honestly the two Battleships I expect to the during the rest of this is the Rattler on the Mach, Maybe a Barghest.
#DeleteTheWeak
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#446 - 2015-08-31 01:03:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Bronson Hughes
Leto Thule wrote:
Great idea with the HIC.

A great example of thinking out of the box... Omar likely said "WTF?" when it landed on grid...

Bracket updated

I nearly went with an Onyx similar to Valkin's for one of the cruiser rounds. I like the idea that all HICs are tanky as hell, reasonably combat capable after their latest balance pass, and (in a Thunderdome setting) all have a utility high slot. I'm really glad someone else came up with it too.

Please tell me there is video of this fight....

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#447 - 2015-08-31 01:04:42 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Yeah honestly the two Battleships I expect to the during the rest of this is the Rattler on the Mach, Maybe a Barghest.

I've only flown a Mach for missions and even with no nanos or implants it gets nearly 1500 m/s cold and is quite nimble.

I'd like to see a snaked nano-mach in action. Seems like it would be more maneuverable than some cruisers.
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#448 - 2015-09-03 21:45:16 UTC
Two things:

First: come on people! Let's get some boats violenced!

Second: My beloved Fedo that has been with me for every single Thunderdome match perished in my e-honor match with Domino. I'm...I'm not sure how I can go on. I usually eat Fedo with spiced wine, but I had determined to keep this one as a pet...until the end....

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Valkin Mordirc
#449 - 2015-09-03 23:02:41 UTC
I am currently trying to contact Lodestone so hopfully we can get something started
#DeleteTheWeak
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#450 - 2015-09-05 15:05:37 UTC
A little update on my end. I had some time last night and an amarr favorable wh so I got 2 of the prize ships fitted up and ready to go. I got a good giggle out of fitting them as they are prize ships and all I really need to do is fill the slots. The frigate for the bracket winner is complete. The BS for the best overall is also fitted out and ready to go.

I'm still pondering the cruisers for best fight of the tourney. That being said I'd like to remind folks that the 'best fight' is to be determined by the folks on this forum through some to be determined voting process. That's where I need some help. You folks need to sort through the various battle reports and vids and decide what you think is the best fight of the tourney. At some point someone will be asking you to cast your votes and you'll need to include your line of thinking. Then we'll sort it out from there.

Oh yeah, all you chumps still in this thing. Did it occur to any of you to get your combined acts together and finish this off??? If you notice the title it is : "Thunderdome - July 2015" You've already missed the month by a month - I don't want to see this go into 2016. Get your crap sorted, get in a ship and get shooting. This IS NOT a bridal shower. Let's go ladies.
Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#451 - 2015-09-05 20:17:55 UTC
Lodestone are you alive? Need a reply soon or your gonna get skipped.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Valkin Mordirc
#452 - 2015-09-06 09:56:10 UTC
Lodestone and I should have our match Tomorrow or Monday
#DeleteTheWeak
Domino Vyse
FeedingMachine
War and Wormhole
#453 - 2015-09-06 10:16:29 UTC
Bronson, your Fedo was looted and was sacrificed to the Rifter gods shortly after.
lmmortalist
lmmortality Associates
#454 - 2015-09-06 13:06:51 UTC
A quick question: should I lose the first finals match and there will be another one, is the 2nd one going to be with frigate hulls as well?
Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#455 - 2015-09-06 14:32:37 UTC
lmmortalist wrote:
A quick question: should I lose the first finals match and there will be another one, is the 2nd one going to be with frigate hulls as well?

Yes. If you lose match "I" you will fight again in match "J".

If anyone else loses in "I" its over.

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#456 - 2015-09-08 22:33:34 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:

Guys?

This needs to happen soon or Im awarding it to Valkin, since I havent seen / heard from Lodestone.

Valkin Mordirc
#457 - 2015-09-09 03:36:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Valkin Mordirc
Leto Thule wrote:
Valkin Mordirc wrote:

Guys?

This needs to happen soon or Im awarding it to Valkin, since I havent seen / heard from Lodestone.

I was on around the agree time and did see him on. It's rather hard to get proper matches set up, especially if you're working.

Generally how I've been trying to set things with my matches is agree to a time to be on at and going from there. But I think Lodestone has been preoccupied by priorities.

Alas, Such is life.

EDIT: Also as a note, I post on the forums a lot, but sometimes I'll post really quick without even logging on. So just because I poke around on the forums doesn't mean I'm active ingame.
#DeleteTheWeak
Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#458 - 2015-09-10 00:03:46 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Leto Thule wrote:
Valkin Mordirc wrote:

Guys?

I was on around the agree time and did see him on. It's rather hard to get proper matches set up, especially if you're working.

Generally how I've been trying to set things with my matches is agree to a time to be on at and going from there. But I think Lodestone has been preoccupied by priorities.

Alas, Such is life.

EDIT: Also as a note, I post on the forums a lot, but sometimes I'll post really quick without even logging on. So just because I poke around on the forums doesn't mean I'm active ingame.

Yeah, RL comes first. Just trying to get things moving.

This is likely going to be the last match I host on here. Really thinking of taking an evecation for a few months.

Saeger1737
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#459 - 2015-09-10 02:28:04 UTC
Bets up yet?

MERC WITH A MOUTH, Send me DPS and my fleet will double it back! Special offer!

Valkin Mordirc
#460 - 2015-09-10 03:07:33 UTC
Saeger1737 wrote:
Bets up yet?

Also I should point that this guy ^

Has been helping me theory craft fits, ^.^
#DeleteTheWeak