These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Thunderdome - July 2015 series!

Author
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#381 - 2015-08-18 17:58:54 UTC
Jonah, it wont be overheating in anger, it will be overheating in joy.
Also. I really want to watch the videos of the space-cripple bracket.

Valkin, yes we will have our match. I just need my bosses to stop being dumber than me for a few days.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#382 - 2015-08-18 18:34:31 UTC
If all goes well Imortalist and I will be done our match by the end of the week.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#383 - 2015-08-18 20:14:26 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
I'll hold any isk that needs held. I'll also just outright pay the entrance fee for the space poor urchin that was being discussed above. As to my honesty... I put up 500mil to the winner of the last thunderdome and made good on that. I've also put up a faction something or other for the winner of this.

As to pay to win and rules.... Being a C&P sponsored event it was made clear in an earlier thread that it's not to be about a complex set of rules. It's to be about all that has made the fortunes of the various folks that call this forum section home - cunning, guts, skill, wits and an outright lack of regard for conformity.

If anyone truly feels out isked and unable to participate, send me a mail and I'll give you some pointers and such to help you get through.

I'll give you an opinion while I'm up on my soap box. Winning the event is what I would consider and unfortunate consequence of the necessity of a bracket providing a reasonable way to procede from beginning to end. I'm putting up prizes for the winners just to generate more interest. Don't make it about winning. Watch the videos and read the battle reports - THAT is what this is about. Thunderdome - 2 guys in 1 guy out. The meat of this event is in each individual fight and the entertainment we all get from it.

To that end I'm now moved to present 4 prizes from my prize locker.

Bracket Winner - some frigate - determined by the bracket
Best Fight Winners - cruisers(2) - determined by some unfair form of group voting
Best Content of the Event - BS - determined by secret discussion between Mo and Leto

I'm now satisified with my thunderdome prize offerings. I'll detail out the hulls and other knick knacks before it's all over. Any and all issues with my prize scheme can be mailed directly to Bronson.

This is perhaps the best description of thunderdome yet.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#384 - 2015-08-22 15:07:58 UTC
Get your matches rolling people.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

lmmortalist
lmmortality Associates
#385 - 2015-08-22 18:04:52 UTC
A very fun match between me and Tengu Grib is done. After many whooshes right beside his sniper fit Naga I finally managed to land a scram+web on him for good with my 500MN hull tanked navy brutix: http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=30187914

You should note Tengu used his alt character for the fight which was fine by me and not against the rules AFAIK.

I think there was a glitch with the fraps so I'm not sure if we have a clip of the fight unfortunately :/
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#386 - 2015-08-22 18:11:47 UTC
Speaking of which, Immortalist and I had our match.

Seeing as I'd made some assumptions about Tengu's skill training that turned out to be false, (why the hell can't he use sensor damps, what was I thinking not training those?) he agreed I could fly my alt, Tyr Sigmundr.

I tried to record it but it kept saying I wasn't playing a game so there was nothing to record. Really not sure what was going on, but regardless, there's no video of the match. Sorry. Maybe it didn't like me having to Eve's open stacked on top of each other? No idea.

As such I'll simply have to tell the tale with my words.

I landed on grid first in my Naga. Immortalist landed on me at about 60km and by the time he stopped moving he was 92km away. I was fairly confident my mircrowarpdrive could keep me away from his potential scram and or webs.

My sensor damps knocked his targeting range down to arms reach. Initially I was manually orbiting him at let my range dip down to 60 km so I could use Antimatter. His shields melted slower than I would have liked, but they melted.

I was surprised to see his range close to 30 km and cursed my poor piloting skills while overheating my micro pushing my speed up to 2500 or so. A cycle or two later I was comfortably back out at 50km and orbitting again.

A second time his range dipped frighteningly quickly and this time he came within 25 km or so. Again I was able to push range back out to where I was comfortable. At this point I didn't like him getting that close to me and just burned straight away from him as he passed %80 structure or so.

This turned out to be a fatal mistake as his battleship microwarpdrive kicked in and he burned straight for me, doubling my top speed. In our discussion after my only saving grace had been his atrocious agility, so my manual orbiting had been keeping me alive up till that point.

On that burn he actually managed to target lock me and apply his scram and web. The gig was up and I melted in seconds. Here's the mail:

https://zkillboard.com/kill/48616988/

gf, it was exciting and really fun. Had he not used the oversized micro I believe I would have won. He did however, and it payed off. Had I anticipated him countering the naga so effectively, I likely would have brought another structure brick brutix, which likely would have won as I'm sure he had to make fitting sacrifices to fit the oversized micro.

It turns out that once in a while rock does beat paper.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

lmmortalist
lmmortality Associates
#387 - 2015-08-22 18:55:53 UTC  |  Edited by: lmmortalist
Tengu Grib wrote:

A second time his range dipped frighteningly quickly and this time he came within 25 km or so. Again I was able to push range back out to where I was comfortable. At this point I didn't like him getting that close to me and just burned straight away from him as he passed %80 structure or so.

Heh, I'm not sure if you noticed but at one time I went right past you from 13km away, and the time right after that one I actually managed to get an overheated web cycle on you. The only problem at that point was my ridiculous speed with which I wasn't able to stop in time and flew too far away again. I was maybe 62% hull when the match was over. Close calls throughout the whole fight.
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#388 - 2015-08-22 19:14:34 UTC
lmmortalist wrote:
Tengu Grib wrote:

Heh, I'm not sure if you noticed but at one time I went right past you from 13km away, and the time right after that one I actually managed to get an overheated web cycle on you. The only problem at that point was my ridiculous speed with which I wasn't able to stop in time and flew too far away again. I was maybe 62% hull when the match was over. Close calls throughout the whole fight.

lol I wasn't watching close enough to see you go right past me, I did see the web land one cycle but wasn't sure how I managed to escape it, too funny that you overshot.

Was a really nail biting fight, even though it wasn't all that long.

Also didn't realize I got you as low as %62. If you hadn't of tackled me when you did you might not have gotten another chance.

I really need to work on my manual piloting skills. Maybe I should put an alt in RvB again...

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#389 - 2015-08-22 21:51:10 UTC
Tengu, it appears we get angry together. You up for late tomorrow or anytime Monday?

Bracket updated

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#390 - 2015-08-22 22:00:14 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
Tengu, it appears we get angry together. You up for late tomorrow or anytime Monday?

Bracket updated

Tomorrow is bad but I think I can do US evening Monday.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#391 - 2015-08-22 22:29:22 UTC
Tengu Grib wrote:
Leto Thule wrote:

Bracket updated

Tomorrow is bad but I think I can do US evening Monday.

Awesome.

Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#392 - 2015-08-24 13:45:21 UTC
Tengu, that fit was very nearly what I used against you instead of my Talos. It was very gratifying to read about how well it did, and also educational to realize one option I hadn't considered was an oversized-MWD fit. That never even crossed my mind. There's a good chance that the fit he used would have done the same to my Talos.

Immortalist, did you ever manage to get drones on him during one of your close passes? That was one of my big concerns in my Talos.

Also, it looks like the first fight of the battleship round is lmmortalist and I. Exciting times....

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

lmmortalist
lmmortality Associates
#393 - 2015-08-24 16:59:46 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:

Immortalist, did you ever manage to get drones on him during one of your close passes? That was one of my big concerns in my Talos.

I felt a bit too overconfident at first so I didn't bother launching my drones at all. Once I realised my terrible agility was becoming a problem I put my set of ecm vespas on him. My max locking range was like 24-25 km so to answer your question: yes I could've put my dps drones on him as well.
Bronson Hughes
#394 - 2015-08-25 04:17:14 UTC
Leto and Tengu fought their match tonight, and they allwoed me to do the honor of recording and commentating. The video is processing and should be posted shortly, but I'll save initial comments for the combatants.

It was another real nail-biter though. It could have gone either way.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#395 - 2015-08-25 04:22:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Leto Thule
Tengu and I just had our brawl.

Great fight, closer than I thought at the end.

I picked a brawling Cyclone, Tengu went with a brawling Navy Brutix. ECM drones abound. EM Missiles usually do fairly well unless you specifically tank for them, so I pre-loaded Mjolnir Rage missiles. Knowing im using a hull that boosts shield reps, I went with a full crystal pod and blue pill.

I picked a warp-in at 20KM to get a good size up on the start of the match, we both landed on grid, and I set up my orbit to 17km (to let my Rage HAM's reach, but deny him his possible nuet and scrams). As I settled into my orbit, he cut it rather quickly. (Note to self, manually pilot next match. Keeps him guessing his angles.)

He lands a flight of ECM jams on me and distracts me (another note to self, add a separate tab for "fleet drones" for thunderdome matches.) I didnt see them on my overview because fleet... sigh. Too late now. Im jammed out and he has me scrammed.

Start my shield boosts to keep my tank afloat.

Launch my ECM drones. No dice.

Re-acquire target. Still see no drones, no matter what tab I load. Overheat a few volleys to catch up on DPS. Since I cant see his drones, I turn on the little autocannons I brought along to kill them with. Any DPS helps right? Unheat launchers to make sure I dont blow them up. Damnit, he is fckin hull tanked. I hate hull tanks.

****. Take blue pill. Always forgot the drugs.

ECM drones finally paid off. MWD back out to non-scram range. Pull drones and resume DPS application. I take this opportunity to reload my ASB. He cuts my orbit again (good piloting skills, BTW) and im back jammed and scrammed. While my ECM drones did one jam, his landed at least 3. I re launch my flight of dishonor drones, and spam my MWD to try and pull range in the event of a lucky jam. I dont get it. I boost right through my ASB reload in an attempt to keep my tank up.

****. I realize im flying directly away in a straight line, still set to "orbit 17km". I bet he enjoyed those zero-transversal hits from his blasters. Set orbit to 500m in an attempt to draw some type of tracking penalty from his blasters. Im better than that! MANUAL PILOTING NEXT TIME!

Still no joy on the jams. My shields drop and im in armor before the reload finishes on my booster. I REALLY think im getting ready to explode as he nears low structure and I near low armor. If I hit structure before this ASB reload im done for.....

Kill: Tengu Grib

Recording from my perspective

That was CLOSE.

Good fight mate. Best I have had yet.

Bronson Hughes
#396 - 2015-08-25 04:28:58 UTC
Video of the fight from an observer's standpoint, along with my commentary for what it's worth, will be available here once it finishes processing.

I gotta say, this one was really fun to watch. Right up until the end I wasn't sure who was gonna win.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#397 - 2015-08-25 05:06:02 UTC
That was fun to watch. Thanks for providing the footage and commentary Bronson.
Now just need to find a time when Valkin and I are actually on at the same time for our match.
Hopefully sometime this week.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#398 - 2015-08-25 07:19:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Demerius Xenocratus
Should do some matches with no implants for poors that don't want to spend a billion ISK on a pirate set.

I would like to participate in one of these at some point. But it looks like mobility is the defining factor, and snakes are expensive.

Thinking about fits that aren't limited to long point range is...strange.
Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#399 - 2015-08-25 10:37:28 UTC
Demerius Xenocratus wrote:
Should do some matches with no implants for poors that don't want to spend a billion ISK on a pirate set.

I would like to participate in one of these at some point. But it looks like mobility is the defining factor, and snakes are expensive.

I'm 90% sure I did my match with a set of +4's that was fitted with med blaster implant and other things designed to support a Proteus completely useless for a hull tanked vni with neuts. Implant's will only make the difference in close situations. For everything else scissors/paper/rock

Member and Judge of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragens basically the Chribba of C&P - Zimmy Zeta

Confirming that we all play in Noragen's eve. - BeBopAReBop

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

'"****station games" - Sun Tzu' - Ralph King Griffin

Bronson Hughes
#400 - 2015-08-25 11:04:24 UTC
Noragen Neirfallas wrote:
Demerius Xenocratus wrote:

I'm 90% sure I did my match with a set of +4's that was fitted with med blaster implant and other things designed to support a Proteus completely useless for a hull tanked vni with neuts. Implant's will only make the difference in close situations. For everything else scissors/paper/rock

I've done all of my matches using straight-up +3s or +4s (No pirate sets or Genolutions) and nothing ending with a number higher than "3" in the remaining slots. I've also used synth boosters for one fight (but mainly because, like Leto, I apparently have a hard time remembering to take them). One fight relied quite heavily on my implants and boosters to work, but even then the overall cost was pretty low.

To date, I don't think anyone has been podded in Thunderdome. I personally don't even try as a matter of courtesy. Should we consider incorporating that as a rule for future brackets?

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs