These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Thunderdome - July 2015 series!

Author
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#281 - 2015-07-26 05:07:12 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
Oh look I can post again. A day early too.

Hopefully Ralph and I can get our killing on tomorrow.

Welcome back.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#282 - 2015-08-03 01:21:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Leto Thule
I know its been a lull as of late, but Ralph and I finally got our fight in for the first round losers bracket.

GF!

(The first one I have been able to get a working upload with, pardon the extra minute or so of nothing in the start...)

Bracket updated

Ralph VS Leto

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#283 - 2015-08-03 01:59:28 UTC
was expecting to need to run him down...i didnt.

wasn't expecting to need to tank that much...i did.

oh well.
gf mate

Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#284 - 2015-08-03 12:50:11 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:

oh well.
gf mate

You needed rock, you brought scissors*. That's tough.

Such is Thunderdome.

*(This is in no way a commentary on your ability, just the nature of the beast.)

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#285 - 2015-08-03 12:57:47 UTC
that vigi went down fast Shocked leto and lan next i guess Straight

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#286 - 2015-08-03 13:01:36 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:

Hit me up in game!

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#287 - 2015-08-03 13:07:39 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:

Paper thin active tank, fit for speed, drunk pilot, I'm sure you can put it togetherBig smile

And Bronson nailed it, I misjudged what I would need and paid for it.
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#288 - 2015-08-03 13:46:02 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:

oh well.
gf mate

You needed rock, you brought scissors*. That's tough.

Such is Thunderdome.

*(This is in no way a commentary on your ability, just the nature of the beast.)

This seems to be how Thunderdome rolls. With no idea what the opponent is bringing outside of ship class, things boil down to a mixture of luck and skill. If the guy brings a hard counter to what you fielded it's just bad luck. If not, then it becomes a matter of skill.
I do feel some sympathy for Ralph, Gila Monsters are freaking tough bastards with few hard counters to them. Not unbeatable by any means, but if you aren't actually prepared to face one then your odds drop pretty swiftly. Adds something of a conundrum to these matches though, as a hard counter to a Gila loses to many other fits.

Gotta love spaceship gambling :)

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Bronson Hughes
#289 - 2015-08-03 14:23:24 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:

Paper thin active tank, fit for speed, drunk pilot, I'm sure you can put it togetherBig smile

And Bronson nailed it, I misjudged what I would need and paid for it.

My BC match with Tengu was the biggest risk I had made to date. I was flying a paper-thin, speed-fit, kitey rail Talos. I based my whole fit on one thing: range. My fit was a pure, 100%, unadulterated range tank. Sure my fit was fast, but with the huge sig of a MWD-ing battlecruiser I had no notion of actually speed tanking. I was very fast for a BC so I wasn't worried about getting caught, and given that we were in BC hulls I wasn't too worried about tracking disruptors or ECM as they're not overly effective without hull bonuses. So my primary* Achilles Heel was anything with damps. Damps would kill my range in spite of my speed, and range was what I planned on using to keep me alive.

He was in a blaster-fit BNI and his self-acknowledged primary weakness was sniper fits.

I was rock, he was scissors, I won.

I think your odds of winning in Thunderdome are directly proportional to how much you can make your ship behave like a Swiss Army Knife. The more tools you have at your disposal, even if your tools all look surprisingly similar, the better your odds. In my case, range was the tool that solved most of my problems, and speed was the tool that let me maintain range. With these two tools, I wagered I could avoid most threats and probably counter most other BCs.

*I say "primary" because a drone boat or another sniper could have also ruined my day, but, unlike damps, I at least had something in mind to deal with them.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#290 - 2015-08-03 17:27:22 UTC
I still can't get over how little of a debt that vigilant did in the shields despite being at optimal with webs and scram applied. Good god Gilas are tough. I'm comfortable saying that vigilant was putting out around 800+ dps. Just wasn't enough.

Thanks for trying the vigilant Ralph, so now I won't have too. Blink

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Bronson Hughes
#291 - 2015-08-12 19:32:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Bronson Hughes
So, in the absence of new fights, I've been reviewing some of the past videos and I wanted to provide one piece of after-action commentary.

Said commentary is regarding my fight with Tengu.

To recap, he was in a Blaster Brutix, and I was in a fast rail Talos. Tengu never got into range, having burnt out his MWD trying to overheat and catch me, and I eventually won. He could have tried to slingshot me, but given the ranges involved, that likely wouldn't have worked.

There is one thing Tengu could have done differently that could have changed the outcome: fly away from me.

In my fight with Domino, you see Domino warping around on-grid a whole lot. He was burning away from me, knowing that he couldn't catch me, but he was dropping tactical bookmarks to warp to. Twice, he nearly tackled me, and that would have been the end of me.

If Tengu had flown in a straight line away from me, dropping tactical bookmarks all the way, I'd have likely ended up in a tail chase and been passing right over said bookmarks. He'd potentially have had a whole string of opportunities to land right on top of me and melt my face in the special kind of way that only a Brutix can do. The range would have been tight; I was trying to stay about 70-80km off and you need 150 to warp, but with some clever piloting and judicious MWD overheating it may have worked.

This is one of those tactics that would likely never work in a "real" fight. Outside of Thunderdome, Tengu would have simply warped off, or would have been pointed by someone else while I pelted him from range. But in Thunderdome...the rules of PvP go right out the window.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#292 - 2015-08-12 21:03:39 UTC
Ok guys.

We had a bunch of people drop or DQ, so I had to reorder the brackets, again.

PLEASE get your fights done.

http://challonge.com/3367hp47

I have kept it as close to the original as possible. Tengu, youll get another shot at winners bracket because there is no other way it will work.

The Code wins again, I suppose.

Anyhow, GET YOUR MATCHES DONE ASAP.

Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#293 - 2015-08-12 21:35:20 UTC
sorry ive been busy lately, i will probably need to drop out also, i go on holiday on friday and time has been tight. sorry guys

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#294 - 2015-08-12 21:51:34 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:
So, in the absence of new fights, I've been reviewing some of the past videos and I wanted to provide one piece of after-action commentary.

Said commentary is regarding my fight with Tengu.

To recap, he was in a Blaster Brutix, and I was in a fast rail Talos. Tengu never got into range, having burnt out his MWD trying to overheat and catch me, and I eventually won. He could have tried to slingshot me, but given the ranges involved, that likely wouldn't have worked.

There is one thing Tengu could have done differently that could have changed the outcome: fly away from me.

In my fight with Domino, you see Domino warping around on-grid a whole lot. He was burning away from me, knowing that he couldn't catch me, but he was dropping tactical bookmarks to warp to. Twice, he nearly tackled me, and that would have been the end of me.

If Tengu had flown in a straight line away from me, dropping tactical bookmarks all the way, I'd have likely ended up in a tail chase and been passing right over said bookmarks. He'd potentially have had a whole string of opportunities to land right on top of me and melt my face in the special kind of way that only a Brutix can do. The range would have been tight; I was trying to stay about 70-80km off and you need 150 to warp, but with some clever piloting and judicious MWD overheating it may have worked.

This is one of those tactics that would likely never work in a "real" fight. Outside of Thunderdome, Tengu would have simply warped off, or would have been pointed by someone else while I pelted him from range. But in Thunderdome...the rules of PvP go right out the window.

Didn't think of it, but next time will certainly give it a shot. You might have figured out what I was up to and with your speed advantage, kept up with me while avoiding my trail. If you had misjudged though, it just might have worked. Damn I really want to try that now.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#295 - 2015-08-12 22:13:28 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
sorry ive been busy lately, i will probably need to drop out also, i go on holiday on friday and time has been tight. sorry guys

Updated.

http://challonge.com/3367hp47

Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#296 - 2015-08-12 22:18:06 UTC
good luck and sorry again ive been a terrible contestant, maybe next one ill more time Pirate

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#297 - 2015-08-12 22:19:31 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
good luck and sorry again ive been a terrible contestant, maybe next one ill more time Pirate

No worries. I blame myself.

Next time we will have a more rigid schedule so things dont get out of whack.

Bronson Hughes
#298 - 2015-08-13 01:47:48 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
I blame myself.

So do I.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Bronson Hughes
#299 - 2015-08-13 02:05:55 UTC
Tengu Grib wrote:
Didn't think of it, but next time will certainly give it a shot. You might have figured out what I was up to and with your speed advantage, kept up with me while avoiding my trail. If you had misjudged though, it just might have worked. Damn I really want to try that now.

It would be a long shot, but a shot nonetheless.

And who knows...maybe you'll get to try it in the battleship round. Blink

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#300 - 2015-08-13 16:15:52 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Tengu Grib wrote:

It would be a long shot, but a shot nonetheless.

And who knows...maybe you'll get to try it in the battleship round. Blink

I feel like the battleship round will have a lot more options available though.

Rabble Rabble Rabble