These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Tengu, Golem, Rattlesnake or Navy Raven for Solo PvE Missions 4/5

Author
Physik
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-06-22 19:10:14 UTC
Good Morning

First things first:
I read a lot about those ships, even in this forum and did not come to a conclusion. Most Threads are not aimed at what I want. I want to run Solo PvE Missions 4/5 fast and safe. I want to salvage on the way or afterwards with a noctis.

I am looking for:
A ship that does exactly that. Missions 4/5, fast, safe. I have good Skills in Missiles and Drones.

Prequisites: Money is not an issue. I have enough money for one ship with modules. Skills are not an issue as long as the ship uses missiles and/or drones.

Suggenstions:

1. Tengu
I fly that at the Moment. Active Tank. Heavy Missile Launchers. No Drones. Can do Level 4 Missions (including Angel Extravaganza). But the kill speed fells a bit slow. Just a feeling. I salvage afterwards.

2. Golem

My First Idea because salvagind while destroying sounds great (if you have the time while punching the enemys). It should save a lot of time if you clean the rooms directly.
Equipped with torps, micro jump drive, bastion mode and small drones. Jump in a group, activate bastion mode, kill and salvage. Active Tank but not stable.

2. Rattlesnake

Second Idea. Long Range, Cruise Missiles and Sentry Drones. Micro Jump drive. Jump out, snipe, jump, snipe... salvage afterwards. Sounds slower but if the killspeed is better maybe its worth it. I have a bit of a problem with the cpu if I choose an XL Active Shield Booster.

3. Navy Raven

Putting it Number 3 because it is popular and a lot of threads recommend it but i personally do not see any advantage over the golem. Maybe I looked wrong.

Conclusion:
What would you do?
What is the fastest ship (overall time) for solo PvE Missions 4/5
What is the safest?
(I want it to be fast and safe. So if I loose Internet Connection or it is a bad connection, I do not loose me ship immideatly).

Thanks for your help! :)
I hope my questions are at the right spot.!
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#2 - 2015-06-22 21:01:12 UTC
Rattlesnake. It's like having two BSes in one.
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2015-06-23 07:32:40 UTC
they all have there uses.

Though I'm pretty happy with my Golem theses days,

I use a cruise version, the range difference on the torps don't make up for the extra damage, with the right skills, riggs and modules there is no need to use any other than Fury missiles (no weapon switching)

salvaging on the spot.

As for level 5 missions that requires a completely different approach.

Start with a few Domini's in the systems around the lvl 5 agent, so you don't need to use the gates, that's where you're most vulnerable.

pick the missions carefully, fly to the system in inty or something, reship to your Domini run mission,dock reship hand mission.

before you know it you can afford fancy ships in all those systems.

HoruSeth
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2015-06-23 07:34:27 UTC
Rattlesnake all the way!

On my gravestone will be written: "Died because he used sarcasm in the wrong moment"

Mr Chili Palmer
Empire Assault Corp
Dead Terrorists
#5 - 2015-06-23 09:07:52 UTC
i actually thought the rattlesnake was too slow, mind i have not used mine in over a year. I sometimes use a cruise fit golem because i can clear up as i go, as for the tengu mine does the job quite quickly in lvl4's. never done a lvl5 so cannot comment on those

"If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence you ever tried"

"If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a fork and imagine him in jail"

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#6 - 2015-06-23 09:10:33 UTC
Well I can't comment on level 5s, but for level 4s RS just nukes everything. The split weapon system allows for much faster rat killing overall, but i guess it depends on your playstyle.
Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#7 - 2015-06-23 09:32:09 UTC
I use a Rattlesnake for level 4 - no experience with level 5. MJD - drop Sentry drones and let them do the work. Recommended fit for snake is passive tank - you will still run into CPU difficulty if you fit the recommended drone rigs plus T2 launchers - needs drone rigging 5 to work.

Neville Smit has a good writeup: http://nevillesmit.com/blog/2014/6/8/revisiting-the-rattlesnake-lmjd-pve
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#8 - 2015-06-23 10:23:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Rattlesnake, like the Gila, is a broken ship.

Fly the Rattlesnake. Smile
HoruSeth
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-06-23 11:14:40 UTC
Do Little wrote:
I use a Rattlesnake for level 4 - no experience with level 5. MJD - drop Sentry drones and let them do the work. Recommended fit for snake is passive tank .


Not really.
Recommended fit for RS for simple Level 4 missions is active tank to be able to more than 1.700dps depending on the rat you have to shoot at a price level of a T2 fitted Marauder!

Though Passive-MJD-Sentry Snake is a very comfortable way of doing Level 4 Missions, but a lot slower than possible in an active fit.

On my gravestone will be written: "Died because he used sarcasm in the wrong moment"

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2015-06-23 11:57:46 UTC
If you have the skills, golem is the winner if you're not blitzing. If you are, look elsewhere.
Rexxorr
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2015-06-23 12:15:10 UTC
Rattlesnake works, but I find it slow and far to micro managy to get anywhere close to its eft dps that people drool over.

Golem is a maruder, and those ships are tailor made for lvl 4s, I suggest Golem.

When doing lvl 4s, I will usally reach for a Vargur or Mach.


GL
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#12 - 2015-06-23 12:54:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
This is the fit I use, It gets about 1000 DPS out to about 100km, cruise damage out to about 120km.
The trick is just managing your missile volleys effectively. I never bother switching drones, between Gardes and Wardens, you've got it all covered.

[Rattlesnake, COMTP]
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
Signal Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Micro Jump Drive
100MN Afterburner II
Pith X-Type Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Dread Guristas EM Ward Field
Dread Guristas EM Ward Field
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Core Defense Operational Solidifier II
Large Core Defense Operational Solidifier I
Large Drone Control Range Augmentor I

Garde II x2
Warden II x2
Gecko x1
Hobgoblin II x5
HoruSeth
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2015-06-23 13:00:20 UTC
afkalt wrote:
If you have the skills, golem is the winner


because you say that or why? Roll

I mean no doubt the race is between RS and Golem, but for me RS is a little in advance.

@Rexxorr: You don't get anywhere close to eft dps because of what? Maybe you fly the passiv fit? I know the MJD-Sentry fit is very pupolar due to the fact you can be very lazy with it. But try an active fit, where you can brawl as well and get back with your opinion. :) And please do not use Gecko ;)

On my gravestone will be written: "Died because he used sarcasm in the wrong moment"

Joraa Starkmanir
Station Spinners United
#14 - 2015-06-23 14:04:03 UTC
You may not get the paper dps from a RS, but it still hav 7.5 effective launchers and 7.5 effective heavy/sentry drones

Even with poor application it easily outdamage the golem
Yolli Sly
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2015-06-23 14:21:51 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
This is the fit I use, It gets about 1000 DPS out to about 100km, cruise damage out to about 120km.
The trick is just managing your missile volleys effectively. I never bother switching drones, between Gardes and Wardens, you've got it all covered.

[Rattlesnake, COMTP]
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
Signal Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Micro Jump Drive
100MN Afterburner II
Pith X-Type Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Dread Guristas EM Ward Field
Dread Guristas EM Ward Field
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Core Defense Operational Solidifier II
Large Core Defense Operational Solidifier I
Large Drone Control Range Augmentor I

Garde II x2
Warden II x2
Gecko x1
Hobgoblin II x5


Strange fit.
Whith this fit you will never do more than 800 dmg, in the game of cource (EFT says ~1200). Even with Gecko and furies. And all in 5 skils.
Lan Wang
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2015-06-23 14:23:38 UTC
what do you define as safe? in highsec? lowsec, null? because rattler and more so the golem is pretty risky in npc null, id use the tengu in null becuase its quite fast at getting out of tricky situations

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#17 - 2015-06-23 14:33:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
Yolli Sly wrote:
Strange fit.
Whith this fit you will never do more than 800 dmg, in the game of cource (EFT says ~1200). Even with Gecko and furies. And all in 5 skils.

Well for every volley of CMs, I can kill 2 frigs or destroyers, 1 cruiser or BC and BSes die in 3 volleys. That might only be 800 damage, but it seems pretty quick to me.

Edit; wait, how is it only 800DPS? I'm hitting my own RS 700 DPS with fury alone.
Yolli Sly
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2015-06-23 14:57:45 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Yolli Sly wrote:
Strange fit.
Whith this fit you will never do more than 800 dmg, in the game of cource (EFT says ~1200). Even with Gecko and furies. And all in 5 skils.

Well for every volley of CMs, I can kill 2 frigs or destroyers, 1 cruiser or BC and BSes die in 3 volleys. That might only be 800 damage, but it seems pretty quick to me.

Edit; wait, how is it only 800DPS? I'm hitting my own RS 700 DPS with fury alone.


I do not argue, I'm surprised.
This is one posible fit, but....Overtanked, low damage. What is he - sniper, brawler?

Mmm...700 but how often, once every 10 sec?
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#19 - 2015-06-23 15:08:26 UTC
Yolli Sly wrote:
I do not argue, I'm surprised.
This is one posible fit, but....Overtanked, low damage. What is he - sniper, brawler?

Why does it need to be one or the other? It does whatever I want and tanks a whole room while doing it.

Quote:
Mmm...700 but how often, once every 10 sec?

Every second, as in DPS.
Lady Nadra
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2015-06-23 16:26:17 UTC
I personally really enjoy the Tengu so I fly that.

Does a little over 1000 dps with great application vs anything cruiser or larger, and flies 1400 m/s to get to gates/mission objectives quickly. Can also fit the propulsion subsystem for increased warp speed which is great. I use it for blitzing missions because I tire of shooting red boxes but to each their own.

For killing everything and looting/salvaging, which sounds like what your after, the Golem looks ideal but I have never flown it, yet.

Or the Rattlesnake as many others suggest, but I find it kind of cumbersome. It will clear out a room of npc's faster then just about anything with great skills though, if you micromanage it so your drones don't shoot things they can't track etc.
12Next page