These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Please don't stop the devblogs!

First post
Author
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#1 - 2011-12-06 18:39:26 UTC
I was really enjoying the daily devblog thing, and while I understand that that rate of posting is unsustainable (there is only so much you can code and show off), I would like to put out this call for you guys to not stop doing very frequent devblogs!

(As a side note, there is a glitch with CCP Punkturis' UI Scaling blog showing up as from today, when it was posted on Nov 11, as evident by the comments thread.)

These blogs aren't interesting only in a "transparency" aspect (to see what the hell you guys are working on), but some of us happen to think the tech is really cool and would like to hear about it more. The statistics posts are really interesting, too. For example, it would be great if you could share data about the usage of the new battlecrusiers, or if the K/D ratio of hybrid ships changed, or other such things.

Crucible is a great step forward, but keep the ball rolling!

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-12-06 18:40:39 UTC
There's not much to devblog at the moment. They are mostly fixing Crucible bugs. New development won't begin until the New Year, when everyone is back to work from the holidays.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#3 - 2011-12-06 18:47:01 UTC
IMHO, some bugs can be devblog-worthy, especially if they impacted a large player population.

Maybe I'm just weird because my reaction to a fixed bug is not "oh good it works now", but rather "oh sweet! what actually broke?"

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#4 - 2011-12-06 18:52:06 UTC
Also, a large part of a "reprioritization of FiS" as their current policy is advertised is the actual advertisement. While actions speak louder than words, actions that go unnoticed do not speak at all.

In other words, being a bit louder than usual about bug fixes (more than just the changelog whenever there's an update) might do very good things for the public opinion.

And so far as:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
There's not much to devblog at the moment.


Faction Warfare rebalancing, Assault Ship rebalancing, Electronic Attack Ship rebalancing, etc.; plus as I said in OP, updates on how changes that have been deployed are doing.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#5 - 2011-12-06 18:54:18 UTC
Right now they're in repair mode, fix it first before they break it agian mentality expect dev blogs to go slow for a while. Next step is going to be the meetings in 'what are we going to do next?' this requires disucssion some exploration and more meetings, After that then they can commit to the goals and then start shoving out blogs again.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#6 - 2011-12-06 19:00:21 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:
Right now they're in repair mode, fix it first before they break it agian mentality expect dev blogs to go slow for a while. Next step is going to be the meetings in 'what are we going to do next?' this requires disucssion some exploration and more meetings, After that then they can commit to the goals and then start shoving out blogs again.


Heh, I thought it was "if it ain't broke, buff it or nerf it until it is."

I get what you're saying, though. CCP will do what's best, and that's fine. I'm trying to let them know that the frequent devblogs are awesome if possible.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#7 - 2011-12-06 19:12:12 UTC
It is good to hear that you liked our Devblog frenzy. As already pointed out, we cannot sustain to publish that incredible many devlogs all the time.

We are not doing nothing though. We feast, we celebrate, we drink beer... We work hard all the time to hack down the backlog and also to provide the EVE Community with good information. CCP Diagoras for example is busy rolling up the numbers to present them in good devblogs. CCP Abraxas released a Chronicle, the first again since quite a while.

We certainly don't plan to stop keeping you, our dear players, well informed about the things going on here in Iceland at CCP!

Thank you for your encouragement and support.

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Solhild
Doomheim
#8 - 2011-12-06 19:17:58 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
It is good to hear that you liked our Devblog frenzy. As already pointed out, we cannot sustain to publish that incredible many devlogs all the time.

We are not doing nothing though. We feast, we celebrate, we drink beer... We work hard all the time to hack down the backlog and also to provide the EVE Community with good information. CCP Diagoras for example is busy rolling up the numbers to present them in good devblogs. CCP Abraxas released a Chronicle, the first again since quite a while.

We certainly don't plan to stop keeping you, our dear players, well informed about the things going on here in Iceland at CCP!

Thank you for your encouragement and support.


Enjoy your well-earned holiday Big smile
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#9 - 2011-12-06 19:19:39 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
We certainly don't plan to stop keeping you, our dear players, well informed about the things going on here in Iceland at CCP!


Don't go overboard with this, You mean well, but not too long ago we where mere cash cows and golden gooses.
Just saying you have still a long way to go.
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2011-12-06 19:27:14 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
We are not doing nothing though. We feast, we celebrate, we drink beer... We work hard all the time to hack down the backlog


That you keep your sense of humor in the face of the naked aggression and hostility of some of your customers is a good thing. I run a business and at times I come very, very close to committing murder because of some client's attitudes. Please tell me how you keep your calm?
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#11 - 2011-12-06 19:28:56 UTC
Pak Narhoo wrote:
CCP Phantom wrote:
We certainly don't plan to stop keeping you, our dear players, well informed about the things going on here in Iceland at CCP!


Don't go overboard with this, You mean well, but not too long ago we where mere cash cows and golden gooses.
Just saying you have still a long way to go.


True, overboard flattery is not nice, but as far as I recall neither did CCP explicitly call Eve players "cash cows and golden gooses".

Just because I'm telling CCP to keep up the good work doesn't mean I approve of everything going on 100%, nor that I have completely forgotten about the events of this summer, but I do think that compliments and encouragement as things get better encourages things to get even better. Or at least, that doing so has more success than keeping a negative "things are still not as good as they should/can be".

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2011-12-06 22:35:43 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Faction Warfare rebalancing, Assault Ship rebalancing, Electronic Attack Ship rebalancing, etc.; plus as I said in OP, updates on how changes that have been deployed are doing.

When they start it, they'll devblog it. I doubt they've roadmapped most of the big changes they might be doing for the Summer Expansion.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#13 - 2011-12-06 22:47:48 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Faction Warfare rebalancing, Assault Ship rebalancing, Electronic Attack Ship rebalancing, etc.; plus as I said in OP, updates on how changes that have been deployed are doing.

When they start it, they'll devblog it. I doubt they've roadmapped most of the big changes they might be doing for the Summer Expansion.


Butbut... They planned FW and AFs for Winter expansion! Cry Why is CCP never making the features I want??

...

Yeah, I get it. I gotta get out there and shoot stuff. CCP made Eve better like we asked, so I have nothing to complain about. Who knows, if it gets even better, I might end up furiously inviting everyone in sight to join.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Apollo Gabriel
Mercatoris
#14 - 2011-12-06 22:50:56 UTC
AF
FW
New Ewar Drones
... are just a few.
Always ... Never ... Forget to check your references.   Peace out Zulu! Hope you land well!
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#15 - 2011-12-07 00:05:26 UTC
Pak Narhoo wrote:
CCP Phantom wrote:
We certainly don't plan to stop keeping you, our dear players, well informed about the things going on here in Iceland at CCP!


Don't go overboard with this, You mean well, but not too long ago we where mere cash cows and golden gooses.
Just saying you have still a long way to go.

Let's not confuse the attitude of the management with the workers. CCP employees have always had a very casual, friendly relationship with the playerbase - the nonsense and noise from the summer shouldn't be a reflection on Devs like CCP Phantom.

Keep perspective, here.
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#16 - 2011-12-07 03:48:47 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
It is good to hear that you liked our Devblog frenzy. As already pointed out, we cannot sustain to publish that incredible many devlogs all the time.

We are not doing nothing though. We feast, we celebrate, we drink beer... We work hard all the time to hack down the backlog and also to provide the EVE Community with good information. CCP Diagoras for example is busy rolling up the numbers to present them in good devblogs. CCP Abraxas released a Chronicle, the first again since quite a while.

We certainly don't plan to stop keeping you, our dear players, well informed about the things going on here in Iceland at CCP!

Thank you for your encouragement and support.


You have earned some feasting, celebration and beer, as long as you go back to work soon enough and provide more goodies ;)

Dev Blogs are always good, but they need content, and for content they need a pack of devs (including the figurehead who gets pushed to write the blog) to actually develop something to blog about.

So prod them with caution Phantom, and remind them to inlude charts and/or pics ;)

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.