These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: New SKINS This Summer

First post
Author
Airi Cho
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#21 - 2015-06-04 17:05:52 UTC
1. police skin for everything!
2. and until then ... am I the only one who would love to see a whole fleet of police kronos patrolling space? Twisted
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2015-06-04 17:06:38 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
I will be interested in ship skins when the Red Baron's Flying Circus is a reality in Eve.

I want a Pink skin for my Panther.
Spugg Galdon
Last Rites.
Villore Accords
#23 - 2015-06-04 17:06:40 UTC
Personnaly, I think the Minmatar SKINs have been a little "meh". No offence, they just don't appeal to me nor do I feel that the fit

I would have liked Minmatar, especially the more tribal factions, to have skins a little more like this

Minnie ships with tribal tattoos would not only be super cool looking, it would kinda fit their lore. The more official tribes (like the parliment) could have very "formal" skins, but other tribes I would expect very "tribal" tattoo'd ships. Insted, it's a space rust camo effect for the Thukker tribe. (Yes, I do paint my Cyclones with the Thukker SKIN but that's cause it's free/cheap)

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#24 - 2015-06-04 17:07:07 UTC
Sniper Smith wrote:

I hope it does happen, even if not in the near future. I get the idea that you shouldn't see a Caldari Navy Domi, but corp skins, I see no reason not to spread them around.. given most corps exist in all the empires :) Actually it would make sense that a corp, even if Amarr in Origin, would use Gal, or Caldari, or whatever ships for some of their stuff in those empires.. Local ships, parts, etc.. Just building my case it all :p

You mean, like a Serpentis Rhea? ;-)

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Airi Cho
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#25 - 2015-06-04 17:07:23 UTC
Caiman Graystock wrote:
Finally, I like the idea of 'designer' skins and why not, it fits the lore just fine as far as I am concerned. You definitely need to open that up to the community at some point, there are some really talented and capable artists out here who I am sure would love the opportunity to design a skin to be sold within the game. I am not suggesting you build skin designing functions into the core game, but taking submissions your artists/programmers can add to the game could surely work?

So we can finally fly those "fur" ships from caldari prime pony club ;D
CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#26 - 2015-06-04 17:09:33 UTC
Airi Cho wrote:
2. and until then ... am I the only one who would love to see a whole fleet of police kronos patrolling space? Twisted

I wanna see a Comet fly up to a fight. Tell everyone to stop shooting. When they don't he turns on his police SKIN. Lights a cyno. In comes a police capital fleet. Nyx, Erebus, Thanatos, Moros. All of it. >.<

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

Abraxcis Caine
Crack Rock Inc.
#27 - 2015-06-04 17:11:56 UTC
Nice. Thanks for the look forward. And thanks for the Serpentis SKINs in Carnyx and fixing Vindi, Vig. They look awesome! Looking forward to the full range of them being available for Gal ships.
Airi Cho
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#28 - 2015-06-04 17:12:34 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Airi Cho wrote:

I wanna see a Comet fly up to a fight. Tell everyone to stop shooting. When they don't he turns on his police SKIN. Lights a cyno. In comes a police capital fleet. Nyx, Erebus, Thanatos, Moros. All of it. >.<

I see we understand each other. so ... when?;)
Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2015-06-04 17:12:35 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Sniper Smith wrote:
Please, PLEASE, make a sensible pricing structure.
X for Frigates,
Y for Battleships,
etc..

Having Frigates cost as much as Supers, and one BC costing more than 2 BC's and a BS, is just silly.. it's also out of line with other pricing structures in Eve, from say, LP stores. Navy BS's cost XYZ, they don't differ because a Navy Raven is more popular than say, a Navy Mega, thus it costs more LP.. No. The NES shouldn't be priced based on how popular you think a skin may be, or any other reasons that haven't been revealed. It should be laid out with a scaling pricing structure, along with the odd sales :)

Also why not add some more skins obtainable via in-game means.. The 30 Day drops are one thing, though I personally won't bother with them.. but how about some more via LP Stores? Mission rewards? Rewards for gaining a specific standing with a Corp/Faction? Any of this in the works? Before it's been said it's possible, but I'd like to know if it's planned, or just something that could be done, but isn't going to happen, at least any time in the foreseeable future.

Now onto the next topic, actually the one that was the biggest question when the new Skin Blog was promised to us by CCP Falcon a Month ago.
Skins crossing racial lines.

There's no mention of this in your blog, apart from mentioning QA.
Will we some/all skins be made available across racial lines? Will I ever see my Quafe Paladin back? Or an Interbus Avatar? Syndicate Provi? Etc.. People used Lore as an excuse, but really, this is painting ships. There's nothing, NOTHING, that stops me from buying a Toyota, and painting it like a classic Mustang.. I see no reason why it should exist in Eve either. We don't need to see the Sarum Family logo on a Tempest, but the colour scheme, there's no reason not to allow it in my books.

Also the whole idea of skins to look like T2, or T2 skins making it look T1.. Sorry, no one actually looks at an enemy ship to see what class it is.. Maybe to see how it's armed, or just to look, but you don't look at frigs one by one to see which is an Interceptor, and with is just a basic T1 one lol.

Victory Rattlesnake. When is this getting converted into the skin? Initially it was indicated that this would happen soon after the original SKIN release, so I had assumed it was gonna be this patch, but it wasn't.. any ETA on that? Is it being reconsidered? (I hope not)..

Lastly..
Quafe Kronos. I know it's done. It's been done since Dec. Give it to me and I'll never ***** about skins again :D

On the cross racial stuff: It is something that could happen. Lore is not stopping us. Right now the reason it doesn't happen is performance and technical. To get faction SKINs to work properly cross race however would require basically remaking it and having the Quafe skin for Gallente and the Quafe skin for Caldari. That same effort could go into making new SKINs, which is what we have chosen to do at this time.

Victory Rattlesnake: Hopefully this summer, but no promise on that.

We told you we dont want tour effort and time going into "new skins"
We want police and quafe everything. Make it happen.

Also we need to talk about price structure ASAP

Falcon told us that Ccp Thomas the Monetization guy was AT YOUR MEETING last montg.

What are his opinions/what came of his input in this entire thing.
Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2015-06-04 17:18:52 UTC
Quote:

CCP Falcon wrote:
I've already posted on reddit, but obviously I'll share here too.

To follow up on this thread, we've had a sit down today to talk shop over SKINs and everything surrounding them.

This meeting included Team Size Matters, as well as a few of the art guys, myself, CCP Seagull and our CCP Thomas, our Monetization Director.

We should have a dev blog for you guys early next week that's going to have a decent amount of content in it for you to take a look at.

All I can say right now is that your questions and concerns have been taken on board, and we had a super healthy discussion about all this today, where everyone involved within CCP is very much on the same page Smile

So we want to know what CCP THOMAS the Monetization Director had to do with the meeting.

We need you to tell us about the proce structure.

No one cares if a ishkasdfuakone skin looks like a true ishkasdfuakone skin, just if said skin looks cool and doesnt cost more than a Titan for a frigate sized skin.

Also what about frig-size packs and all cruiser-sized packs?

Stop evading the REAL QUESTIONS
SpaceSaft
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2015-06-04 17:21:58 UTC
I guess you're taking dark and dystopian not that serious after all.

This might not vibe with people who were all about "No pink spaceships" but I'm fine with it.

Do they look cool? I guess.

They're still not the alliance exclusive showoff material I'd be interested in. Just showing colors that everyone else has access to isn't that appealing to me.

Also pricing. A month of playtime for a color change? I'd pay that for UI colors (hint hint) but only because the current ones actually hurt.

Besides all that I'm glad you're actually following up with a feature and continue development and iterate on it. Unlike other 'improvements'. To things you have to see at all times.

Are there any plans to release SKINS as rewards for player activity? Like threshold money per month earned from rat bounties / market / spent on manufacturing / exploration cans hacked etc.?

Or maybe just make all ships dirty by default and washing coupons drop from rats?

In short: The Skins are in the game but where is the game in the Skins?
Marsha Mallow
#32 - 2015-06-04 17:22:51 UTC
Designer Skins are a good idea if it allows more flexibility. Although this doesn't look grimdark to me P

Please can you make the wingy bits on minnie ships a bit more interesting? And by interesting I mean shiny. They all look a bit boring atm.

There's a truncated sentence in the middle of the blog btw
Quote:
Again these are just concepts but we are aiming to ship some form of the new designer SKINs this summer. The end result of this new designer SKINs system is that we will be able to ship

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Snoop Dong
Oruze Cruise
White Stag Exit Bag
#33 - 2015-06-04 17:27:14 UTC
Why don't you give us the skin system we want?

SKINS sold in patterns, applicable to every ship.

It really says a lot when you accidentally manage to give us a good system and then take it away.

The majority of us pay for subs, so why must you milk us for overpriced limited-use SKINS?
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#34 - 2015-06-04 17:28:48 UTC
White raven/golem is KING.

Followed by police kronos. WOOP WOOP!
Valterra Craven
#35 - 2015-06-04 17:38:14 UTC
Normally I love your dev blogs Fox...

But basically what I see you guys saying is that you built a poor system and are making excuses for it. You built a very static very time and QA intensive system when you needed to build a very dynamic and un-intensive system. (and by "you" I mean CCP).

I think if CCP had built a more dynamic system from the get go, you wouldn't be having a lot of these "technical" limitations that you are dealing with now.
Entity
X-Factor Industries
Synthetic Existence
#36 - 2015-06-04 17:42:59 UTC
Reusing skins of unique ships is not OK (Stratios skin)

I don't understand why you would hand out unique event rewards and then just go and reuse that content.

This is not fair to the people with said content.

╦......║...╔╗.║.║.╔╗.╦║.╔╗╔╦╗╔╗

║.╔╗╔╗╔╣.╔╗╠..╠ ╠╗╠╝.║╠ ╠╝║║║╚╗

╩═╚╝║.╚╝.╚╝║..╚╝║║╚╝.╩╚╝╚╝║.║╚╝

Got Item?

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#37 - 2015-06-04 17:51:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
"However when that same Ishukone SKIN is applied to the Wyvern it no longer looks like an Ishukone SKIN. While it could be argued as to how good it looks, the bottom line is it doesn't look like an Ishukone SKIN"

So what? Maybe I want it anyway.

" In the above image the Wyvern has the Ishukone SKIN applied but doesn't get the gold to black fade that is a signature feature of the Ishukone SKIN. This isn't just a capital ship issue either. Here is the Ishukone SKIN on an Abaddon, which again doesn't look like an Ishukone SKIN."

"Further there are issues where sometimes you just get things completely broken such as in the case of the Ore SKIN on the Revelation."

"Or even more subtly the Sanctuary SKIN on the Venture results in these black areas that should not be there."

"We are extremely dedicated to making sure that we hit a certain quality bar for the art in EVE."

Who is this "We"? People at CCP? Why should they have any say in the matter? "We" should only be we customers. If we think a particular SKIN on a particular ship does not measure up, then we will not use it. Let us decide.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Snoop Dong
Oruze Cruise
White Stag Exit Bag
#38 - 2015-06-04 18:17:36 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:

The funny thing is, this was possible under the accidental SKIN system. So why are you still going down the wrong path by keeping SKINS limited to the ship?
Parah Salin McCain
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2015-06-04 18:21:30 UTC
Snoop Dong wrote:
CCP FoxFour wrote:

The funny thing is, this was possible under the accidental SKIN system. So why are you still going down the wrong path by keeping SKINS limited to the ship?

Did you read the god damn blog?
Snoop Dong
Oruze Cruise
White Stag Exit Bag
#40 - 2015-06-04 18:25:27 UTC
Parah Salin McCain wrote:
Did you read the god damn blog?

Yes I read the lame excuses.