These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Carnyx release - General feedback

First post First post First post
Author
Vol Arm'OOO
Central Co-Prosperity Union
#1001 - 2015-06-04 13:21:12 UTC
The sun icon is emblematic of the problems with the new scheme. Once upon a time the sun icon was a sold circle. It was unimaginative but it was easy to see at a glance. You could tell instantly that it was the sun because it was a sold circle. Well, some bright watt at ccp said hey the sun icon is not artistic so lets change it to an empty circle with rays so that it looks like a miniature sun. The problem is that the icons are so small that you cant see the rays at a casual glance. All the new sun looks like is a fuzzy empty circle, which is very similar to all of the other circle icons, making it almost impossible to differentiate the sun from the planets and other circle like objects. Artsy trumped simplicity and easy of use.

The same holds true for frigates and desys. The frigate is now an open lump or tiny squashed half circle. Its tiny by design because its a frig. The desy is the same open lump with a line under it and is also tiny by design. Because these are white little open lumps, they fade into the background and are almost impossible to see. Frequently, all I now see is the bottom line. So when i'm fighting small ships all I see is little dashes that are so small as to be impossible to click on. Never had a problem differentiating player ships from the background before this change and could always tell what was going on, now its all a meaningless hash - not because its new and unfamiliar but because the icons are so small as to be near impossible to differentiate from each other and worse because they blend into the background rendering them nigh invisible.

I don't play, I just fourm warrior.

Panterata
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1002 - 2015-06-04 13:21:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Panterata
Btw I watch yesterday Star Wars and Galactica again just to see if there are some triangles, rhombus or parallelepiped on the ships...but they don;t have on them! Shocked
My Time
Bunyip Munitions
#1003 - 2015-06-04 13:23:18 UTC
WOW the new icons omfg. I feel like i am shooting monoply pieces while looking at space invaders from 20yrs ago

WTF have you done ccp ???????????????????????????????
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#1004 - 2015-06-04 13:24:40 UTC
Fronn Penken wrote:
I cannot believe that my gaming community is being so ridiculous about the new icons. They are a great idea and I personally think they look awesome. To provide more data about your surroundings at a glance to any player, regardless of time in the game, IS a good idea and I think you have accomplished that. I can't honestly believe that all the ridiculous posts in this thread represent the majority of our community. So from the other side of the coin, great job CCP the icons look great!

The chances are you aren't affected by the issues many of us are having.

If you don't use UI scaling, don't use overview sorting and don't rely on brackets for tactical information on the battlefield then your experience will certainly differ from mine. Also, if you are not an FC and have not been listening to the cries of dispair from FCs at these changes, your experience will differ from mine.

If you have good equipment and good eyesight your experience will certainly differ from many other players complaining here.

If you didn't use the optional overview columns to provide all the information that has now been "added" to the icons/brackets then you may see a benefit from these new icons. Because you were not using the tools that were previously available.

But for me, everything that these new icons add was already there in a far better form that I could configure, hide, show and rely upon. Now a column on the overview that was usefull is now useless, because it only duplicates information I already have a few millimeters to the right and does so in an ineffective way. It used to effectively show information that was not already available in an overview column in a usefull format and that has now been lost. I now have to add an extra column to my overview (size) just to compensate (poorly) for that lost information. I cannot differentiate the icons because they are unclear at 90% UI scaling and I cannot fit everything I need on the screen if I unscale my UI.

All this before you consider any aesthetics at all.
Py Solette
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1005 - 2015-06-04 13:28:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Py Solette
Currently this is what sorted icons look like: http://imgur.com/Odt0K4j
Could we get them sorted by say, player type(npc/player), ship type(combat/hauler), size.
It's really annoying having them sorted by most likely icon ID.....
Satanama
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1006 - 2015-06-04 13:29:27 UTC
THE OVERVIEWS ARE HORRIBLE, AFTER PLAYING SO MANY YEARS WITH THE OLDER ICONS. THE NEW ONES LOOK LIKE ****, CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIFFERENT THINGS IN SPACE AND A ACTUAL PLAYER LIKE YOU COULD EASILY BEFORE. LET US HAVE THE OPTION OF CHOOSING THE OLDER ICONS TO THE NEW ONES BECAUSE THEY JUST SUCK ASS!!!!!
Ida Aurlien
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#1007 - 2015-06-04 13:45:04 UTC
This is ccp's way of saying **** off we don't need you.... we are gonna do what we want... Most company's listen to their customers even in ccp's comments they basically say that.. we don't care what you think we like it.... then we get to the problems with log in they have created.... but it was successfully shoved down our throats GARBAGE
Inovy Dacella
Empire Assault Corp
Dead Terrorists
#1008 - 2015-06-04 13:49:24 UTC
I think the new icons are good. The celestial objects are more descriptive (wormholes, asteroids, sun etc.). The ship icons give a lot of info which does get overwhelming in fleet fights. I guess the vets will get used to it sooner or latter, but newbies have already so much to learn it could make it harder for them. Perhaps an optional simplified version of the new icons with less variety would help.

It's a tough call.
X4me1eoH
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1009 - 2015-06-04 13:56:43 UTC
I think BS and capitals icons must be bigger. But frigsize icons must be smaller. Like here http://i.imgur.com/K3rn8wj.png
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#1010 - 2015-06-04 13:59:29 UTC
X4me1eoH wrote:
I think BS and capitals icons must be bigger. But frigsize icons must be smaller. Like here http://i.imgur.com/K3rn8wj.png

Dear God, don't make the frigates any more illegible!Shocked

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Tyr Dolorem
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1011 - 2015-06-04 14:03:57 UTC
All I need the icon to tell me is that it's a playership. Anything else is unnecessary. If I want to know what type of player ship it is i'll look at the type column on my overview.

NPCs need different icons dependent on size but I don't see what was wrong with the old ones vov.
Henry Plantgenet
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1012 - 2015-06-04 14:06:52 UTC
Is it considered illegal client modification if you try to bring back old features back to your client? (Like the icons?)
Vivien Meally
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1013 - 2015-06-04 14:11:12 UTC
Henry Plantgenet wrote:
Is it considered illegal client modification if you try to bring back old features back to your client? (Like the icons?)


Is it possible? How? I hate new icons ...
Jeven HouseBenyo
Vanity Thy Name Is
#1014 - 2015-06-04 14:14:42 UTC
Doing my Eve Dailies.

Check on General Feedback for a time that 'classic icon' option comes up, find ZERO response from a Dev in numerous pages. Login and see what the icons look like, yup the 'moar bling!' set is still active. Dock, check Esc Menu in General Settings and Display and Graphics for that choice box to X, nope not there. Logout and post, as a reminder that We're Still Waiting for both that choice option to show up And a more current response for the growing outrage towards both the icons of poopy and silence from CCP.

Three accounts already to two, in about 2-4 days it'll be a single active account, as beginning of the month is add more account time. I flat out refuse to pay for extra accounts on a game I can't play from lack of an opt out choice. CCP, you're about to lose one of those R00kies that's held on over that one year mark. Finding this extremely disheartening to say the least. Sad

>Jeven

Minny boat flyer, unofficial squeaky wheel.

'Game Ethics and Morality Monitor' I remember promises.

Snark at 11-24/7/365.25. Overshare? Yup.

Yes it's my fault. And if you don't staap it I'll do it again. ;-P

No you can't has my stuffs OR my SPs.

Pestily
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1015 - 2015-06-04 14:16:59 UTC
The icons really are ridiculous and childish looking. Last night in a fleet of 40 ish we all dropped drones and it was like a snow storm, we couldn't see anything on grid so brackets off and still couldn't .


GIVQuestionE US THAttentionE OPTIStraightON OF TAPirateKING THE ICOEvilNS OFCoolF OR RELolVERCoolTING BAOopsCK TShockedO THWhat?E OLBig smileD PRO ONShockedES PLEWhat?ASE.

GET MY POINT ??

If it took you more than a server tick to read it .. your dead ..
CCP Surge
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1016 - 2015-06-04 14:21:15 UTC
Milla Goodpussy wrote:
i want the old icons back,

im afraid since the majority of the community is saying the same. ccp has put on the wall module and are no longer paying any attention to this thread.


That's not true. We're definitely still keeping tabs on this thread and assessing the situation. Just don't expect any knee-jerk reactions from us so soon. For now keep the feedback coming, keep it constructive. Thanks
teloded
The Regency
The Monarchy
#1017 - 2015-06-04 14:21:44 UTC
I would have to say that fozzy sov will most likely be game breaking for smaller corps and alliances. Large groups can now harrass smaller groups they would normally not target.
Bring a bs or cruiser fleet start shutting down services, any hostile response can be crushed easily. once every thing is turned off go to the next system. the targeted corp will undock to turn back on their services only to have them turned back off in a hour. production goes down, income goes down. people more likely to move back to high sec where they dont have to worry about any of this.
Only been under fozzy sov test for 2 days and people are all ready leaving null sec. Good job ccp

All Pasta, No Sauce

Natya Mebelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1018 - 2015-06-04 14:24:19 UTC
Panterata wrote:
Btw I watch yesterday Star Wars and Galactica again just to see if there are some triangles, rhombus or parallelepiped on the ships...but they don;t have on them! Shocked

And this is where you go too far. Because you also do not see open brackets on ships either. This is a level of useless criticism that only spams the topic to no avail, and is part of the deconstructive feedback which is not worth a dime and a nickel.

X4me1eoH wrote:
I think BS and capitals icons must be bigger. But frigsize icons must be smaller. Like here http://i.imgur.com/K3rn8wj.png
You are cramping the overview full of things while only taking ship icons into consideration and leaving out everything else. You also do not take the spacing for target brackets into account. There is a reason why there is spacing between the biggest icon and the frame.

For example, if you would lock this Obelisk, you would not be able to see if you actually have a target lock on it or not, because the two white triangles indicating target lock on the side of the icon would be almost completely swallowed.

If you want to make mockups, then take EVERYTHING into consideration. That is why it is more difficult than people think.
Ida Aurlien
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#1019 - 2015-06-04 14:26:15 UTC
guess they are not getting the picture.... I canceled my real cash accts yesterday maybe they need to here it from you if your gonna leave or thinking about it.....I know of ppl sending in tickets saying same canceling..mainly because of normal ccp ways of just not answering or LISTENING
Mark Yanning
Zeura Brotherhood
#1020 - 2015-06-04 14:29:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Mark Yanning
CCP Surge wrote:
Milla Goodpussy wrote:
i want the old icons back,

im afraid since the majority of the community is saying the same. ccp has put on the wall module and are no longer paying any attention to this thread.


That's not true. We're definitely still keeping tabs on this thread and assessing the situation. Just don't expect any knee-jerk reactions from us so soon. For now keep the feedback coming, keep it constructive. Thanks


Sure. Hopefully you are reading all the comments. We don't expect any knee-jerk reactions by devs, but you don't expect by us playing anymore this game with these icons. I'll keep it constructive: give us an option to be back and admit that new icons are extremly horrible and useless... Shocked. Nah, you will never admit that. Lol

See you in game (maybe), when you have fixed that thing. I don't wanna shoot small beacons or little houses.. Roll

Have a nice day

p.s. I'm loosing my faith in Eve