These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

NOS against Rats question

Author
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2015-05-30 01:00:03 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
Torp raven? Really?

Who said anything about a torp Raven. I said up in their face,which does not imply a specific weapons system it is a mission running style.

That being said why not a torp fit Raven, yes there would be some PG issues to deal with but they would increase DPS by nearly 25% and for an up in their face brawler that DPS would be great.

EFT Warrior detected.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#22 - 2015-05-30 01:37:41 UTC
Caleidascope wrote:
Donnachadh wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
Torp raven? Really?

Who said anything about a torp Raven. I said up in their face,which does not imply a specific weapons system it is a mission running style.

That being said why not a torp fit Raven, yes there would be some PG issues to deal with but they would increase DPS by nearly 25% and for an up in their face brawler that DPS would be great.

EFT Warrior detected.

Never used EFT, in fact I hate that program with a passion. But I have flown torp fit Ravens / CNR's and cruise fit Ravens/CNR's . Fill the highs on either of them with torp launchers and you will have some PG issues to deal with.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#23 - 2015-05-30 03:44:13 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
Donnachadh wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
Torp raven? Really?

EFT Warrior detected.

Never used EFT, in fact I hate that program with a passion. But I have flown torp fit Ravens / CNR's and cruise fit Ravens/CNR's . Fill the highs on either of them with torp launchers and you will have some PG issues to deal with.

and even more damage application issues.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#24 - 2015-05-30 05:38:55 UTC
Try it, then let me know how that 25% feels.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Amanda Chan
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2015-05-30 06:21:40 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
Torp raven? Really?

A Torp Raven would have application issues to cruisers/frigates without severly compromising it's tank or super bling. A CNR would have less application issues but would still need to beef up it's tank to deal with being that close/give up tank to target painters.

Not to mention the pitiful range. Sure the DPS would be good on paper but it will more likely then not slow down mission completion time due to range/application issues.
Donnachadh
#26 - 2015-05-30 15:26:36 UTC
Amanda Chan wrote:
Not to mention the pitiful range. Sure the DPS would be good on paper but it will more likely then not slow down mission completion time due to range/application issues.

For a brawler there are no range issues with torps. So this causes me to wonder if you understand what being a brawler is all about. You know close range reach up and smack them down when you are so close you can feel their hot breath on your face.

Since range is a non-issue the supposed damage application issues are easily solved by using Rigor Cats in the rig slots. If you prefer TP over the rigors then you can use the rigs to compensate the tank slots lost to the TP.

Damn you folks talk about me being a paper cowboy and yet these very basic and extremely simple concepts and solutions to problems seem to escape your conscious thought processes. Either that or your are so fixated on your preferred ships/fits and your preferred mission style that you cannot think this far out of the box.

Minimizing completion time is not the only reason to run missions or to fit a ship. When/If I want to Blitz them I will pull the Mach out of mothballs, for now I am having fun trying out a bunch of odd and off the wall fits just to see how they work. It really is an interesting change of pace and a decent challenge to your fit skills maybe you should give it a try.

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2015-05-30 15:57:57 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Amanda Chan wrote:

For a brawler there are no range issues with torps. So this causes me to wonder if you understand what being a brawler is all about. You know close range reach up and smack them down when you are so close you can feel their hot breath on your face.

Since range is a non-issue the supposed damage application issues are easily solved by using Rigor Cats in the rig slots. If you prefer TP over the rigors then you can use the rigs to compensate the tank slots lost to the TP.

Damn you folks talk about me being a paper cowboy and yet these very basic and extremely simple concepts and solutions to problems seem to escape your conscious thought processes. Either that or your are so fixated on your preferred ships/fits and your preferred mission style that you cannot think this far out of the box.

Minimizing completion time is not the only reason to run missions or to fit a ship. When/If I want to Blitz them I will pull the Mach out of mothballs, for now I am having fun trying out a bunch of odd and off the wall fits just to see how they work. It really is an interesting change of pace and a decent challenge to your fit skills maybe you should give it a try.

Make a couple of youtube videos of using your torp raven in a few missions. From warp in to mission complete. Just to make it easy, do the one room missions like Gone Berserk and a few others where you don't need to go to other rooms.

Could be fun to watch you do Blockade. Warp in, torp the web tower, warp out, warp back in and start killing stuff. Of course avoid triggers until everything else is dead.

I think with a huge amount of concentration you can actually use torp raven. The thing is... I am too lazy to invest this much of my concentration (be glued to the monitor).

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Lanark Gray
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2015-05-30 18:22:18 UTC
While it's usually less efficient time wise than a cruise boat, a torp Typhoon (AB+2x painter) is quite fun, and a Nos worked well.

It was better imho before the phoon got changed (torps for big things, 2/3 bonused AC for the cruisers + frigates, and a proper drone bay and bandwidth ...), so presumably a Navy Typhoon would work well too.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#29 - 2015-05-30 19:05:18 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Amanda Chan wrote:

for the rare missions where there are no "range issues" I would rather just use my blaster kronos. My alt is maxed out for torps, and had a full set of 5% hardwires. I ripped out the torp one and replaced with a cruise implant back when they changed cruise missiles. My golem still has t2 range rigs.

them "extremely simple concepts" tend to only work on paper. for a brawler with "no range issues with torps" there is still the problem of getting into brawler range. for application you likely need rigors and tps, and if I remember right rage torps will still only hit some targets well. and TBH when you throw out massive dps you usually don't need too much in the way of tank. Dead rats deal no dps.

Torps just don't do it for me. I've lived outside the box, and I've realized life is much happier in the box where torpedoes don't even exist. Or for that matter most missiles, there is a reason 3/4 races prefer guns to missiles. And lastly since the torp explosion graphic got removed there is really no reason to ever use torps. *bitter*

Donnachadh
#30 - 2015-05-31 00:30:19 UTC
Caleidascope & Chainsaw Plankton
I can counter everything you can throw at me over the torp fit Raven and all of it started as ideas on paper and in EvE HQ, and has long since transitioned to tried and proven strategies / tactics in actual missions.

Distance - mjd and your tactical overlay solve them all. The mjd is not just a tool for putting distance between you and a target it is an excellent tool for closing distances as well.

To much damage does not require a warp out, a simple tactical re-positioning is usually enough again mjd and your tactical overlay to the rescue.

Low damage application change to Javelin's instead of Rage.

And the list goes on.

But the basic fundamental problem here is that both of you have found a method that works for you and you are happily running that method and that is good FOR YOU, but you seem to think that everyone should run missions that way. What I am trying to offer is an option, something out of the ordinary for those who are looking to put a bit of a challenge into missions instead of the near brain dead warp in press F-1 and go to sleep cookie cutter methods of running missions. I Never stated they were better, or faster, or that they can be applied to all missions, I simply offered them as options.

Caleidascope you can forget those videos. Even if I did make them you would likely never watch them, if you do not have the patience to sit at your computer for almost an hour to run Blockade in this type of fit there is no way you would sit for almost an hour to watch someone else do it so I am not going to waste my time.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#31 - 2015-05-31 04:46:03 UTC
I'm not saying it can't work, I'm saying it isn't optimal, and not close enough to optimal I'd want to suggest it to other people. I'm always up for new tactics, but with the torp raven/golem, been there done that, not worth it. Kinda like the whole try running lv4s in an assault frig thing. You can do it, you might even thing it's fun, but I wouldn't tell anyone else to try it. A gecko + torp rattlesnake, now that might be interesting.

a MJD is a 100km jump, which sometimes is awesome (always love to MJD into blaster range), but most of the time not so great. A MJD to get out of damage sounds like a waste most of the time, especially with short range weapons. with cruise you can at least hit at 100km.

jav torps do less dps than fury cruise missiles. rage torps have great dps numbers, but poor application. CN torps are pretty nice, but don't have a lot of range.

it works, but there are other ships that do it better, and there are a lot of things about torps I don't like. I don't need to see the video if a blockade takes almost an hour.

Previous page12