These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Nothing to see here: CCP spends $20 million and hides its financials

First post
Author
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#41 - 2015-05-19 16:46:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
I'm with Malcanis here: the bonds were for $20M at 7% interest, taken out in the immediate wake of the Incarna failure. 7% is almost punitive, and interest rates are at a low ebb. Not retiring that debt--whether by cash payment or more favorable financing--would be more of a sign of trouble.

This looks to me like CCP ridding itself of an expensive exigency. And, just because I like tweaking Jenn, I'll add that this is coming from someone who wants CCP to venture into the land of the 'others'. I just hope they do much better on execution next time, and it looks like execution is much less of a problem for them these days.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#42 - 2015-05-19 17:15:33 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
I just hope they do much better on execution next time, and it looks like execution is much less of a problem for them these days.

Probably the guy who liked to explain things as "PSHHHH" have gone mute and is only seen forwarding mails from the rest of the company to the dev tem, and back.
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#43 - 2015-05-19 19:40:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
Slade Trillgon wrote:
Bagrat Skalski wrote:

Oh yes, and this is about this cheaper debt? I see only information about buying out the bonds. But I suppose only fool would take debt that would make it harder to repay in future.

Nonetheless, it doesnt look good for EVE players because we know less about state of the company. Investing money in the game we play, by subscribing to it. What if they are doing it, because they don't want us to know the truth. Can't now exclude that, can you? Because you don't know. Roll

But is not the current game play, 'open' discussion about future plans, seeing things getting bettter than worse, the only signs you really need. Even if CCP was failing financially but the game was still fun would you not still keep playing? Or would you stop playing the game, even if it is your most fun point in the games history, knowing that it may sink within the year?

EDIT: fail quote fix, it has been awhile since posting on EvE-O

I will start with current playerbase.

The game is fun, but can't be played forever with the same set of rules, because it becames less fun, lacks novelty.
CCP tries to hold current people with the game, changing the rules constantly. Trying to rebuild some things, as with new map. Some older players that likes old map don't like that. For them its breaking not upgrading. Considering the time CCP takes to make anything, they could resign and wait until new features are worked on, to subscribe again to a better game. Same could start with sovereignty updates.

Diversity results in ubiquity. Diversifying acquires attention of new customer base.

The new players are scarcer because of other games that have been really huge on budget and lure into them all kind of people, casuals and hardcore players, they are big on playstyles, that is why SC had so much financing. If CCP would like EVE to became a competitor for getting new player they would need to develop new gameplay styles, WIS module with avatar gameplay, but structured with procedural generation and player created assets and gamepley, roleplay, to give people correct implementation of corp skins.

That is how EVE worked for many players before. You could have different playstyles and could switch them. The promise of WIS lured many new players. but they resigned in large part because of WIS not becoming a thing they have seen on former fanfests. and have not been hooked on the EVE features and playstyles. Some of the older players resigned because they feared CCP started to forget completely "spaceships" EVE.

Writing that I am sure, that WIS will not happen, as for corp skins, there is a very minimal chance someone will be so bold to make it a feature, even when thay could take AUR for that service. But WIS will not became a thing, not because "DANCING? NOT IN MY EVE" people. Its CCP decision based on quality of management, human resources and financial resources, and all of those can be "insufficient" while working on Valkyrie.

Future is not what it used to be.

People tend to stick to a more populated games in MMO. More people - more friends - more incentives to spend more time in the game, to hunt, or to talk in chat, or to see people buying your stuff. If the numbers are falling, so are the subscriptions, so is the game revenue. That can cast fear into players that like the game and are afraid of its future, also into company that makes overwhelming part of their money on selling one game.

One of the most underestimated incentives is longevity of the game, so you could develop your avatar for next 3 or 4 years and they unsub and even resub after 10 years to see what has changed. Game can be affected by financial unstability of company that makes the game. If there is no clear message about finances, then people wear tinfoil and expect the worst, some can lose incentive to develop characters in game, or they will go invest more time and money into other game.

Future can be better, can be worse. Turrmoil in finances can be part of the healing factor, can be fight for better future. But it must be announced, not hidden, because hiding it makes people unsure about company incentives.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#44 - 2015-05-19 19:56:08 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
(...)

(...)

Exactly my feelings about EVE since 2011. Is EVE different? Certainly. Better? Maybe. Haves a brighter future? Sorry, but no.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#45 - 2015-05-19 20:40:05 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
(...)

(...)

Exactly my feelings about EVE since 2011. Is EVE different? Certainly. Better? Maybe. Haves a brighter future? Sorry, but no.

One is sure, it is constant struggle, from beginning to the end, and there are ups and downs. I would like to see it somewhat brighter in future, even if it must involve dancing and emoting like that.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#46 - 2015-05-19 23:45:07 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
(...)

(...)

not sure what fires you are looking into, but the lord of light says eve could have a bright future. The vision from FF14 should be the direction ccp goes. But we will see. I'm just enjoying my game

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Previous page123