These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Advice on a Raven Fit. (Lvl 4 Missions)

Author
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#21 - 2015-05-16 09:18:04 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Moignus Nakrar wrote:
That's the point, so I could be semi-afk while playing or doing something else.

If that's your plan just go passive, hell use autotargeting missiles while you're at it.

imo fit a normal fit with a LMJD and use auto-targeting missiles then. I usually just orbit at 100km with an afterburner, and a medium shield booster.

and/or use drones.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

stoicfaux
#22 - 2015-05-16 12:18:52 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:

[Raven, Le Liang]
Signal Amplifier II
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System

Yeah one or two bling mods maybe, but a full rack of BCS? That would only take a handful of thrashers to kill and be quite profitable, would not recommend. Granted, the likelihood is pretty low and it will certainly add efficiency to the fit but just make sure you can afford to lose it.

BCU II's only require Weapon Upgrades IV, so there's no reason to go with that many CN BCUs. Especially since Weapons Upgrades reduces the CPU costs of turrets and launchers and CPU is always in short supply on Caldari hulls.

BCU == BCS, i.e. ballistic control unit versus ballistic control system. It's an old people thing.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Amanda Chan
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2015-05-16 15:00:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Chan
[Raven, Raven]
Ballistic Control System II
Damage Control II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Field II
Large Micro Jump Drive
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron
Large Shield Booster II
100MN Afterburner II

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Cruise Missile
[empty high slot]

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I

Meta 4 as needed.
Cap lasts a little over 2 minutes which is more than enough for pulsing booster as needed.
Omni tanks with around 200 ehp/s. Low but enough when you mid away to reduce damage.

steps to pimp your raven:
1) medium pithi shield booster( b is good enough and hella cheaper then a) replacing large shield booster tech 2.
2) 3x Caldari bcus replacing tech 2
3) upgrade to caldari navy raven. And add pithi shield amp to replace em field.. Per your budget. Obviously 2 Cruise missile launches. 3x tech 2 rigors
4) 2x pithi c type invulneraability field. Replaces tech 2 field and mjd. Faster mission completion requies heavier tank and not wasting time mjd'd away..
5) republic 100mn afterburner replaces tech 2. Lower cap usage on propulsion. More breathing room for cap.
6) republic target painters to replace Meta 4.
pimping is optional but will double cap time and almost triple tank. It also makes your mission ship coat almost 10x as much.
Ion Kirst
KIRSTONE ALLIANCE
#24 - 2015-05-16 16:34:25 UTC
Lot of topics to cover . . .

CCC's on a Raven, in L4's, are just a NO, they should not be used. You need to use rigs, rigors, to apply damage to anything smaller than a BS, to reduce the exp. rad. of those missiles. Pulsing the SB will work just fine, unless you have low sp, but that is what the cap booster is for. If you need to run the SB for a long time, the booster will keep your cap up. It may also help you to GTFO if the incoming is over whelming you.

The MJD may be helpful sometimes. If you get into trouble, you point and click, and your 100km away. That mostly could put you out of targeting range, but the other BSs can still hit you. So you may have only delayed the inevitable.

Please do not passive tank a Raven. It's shield has a high recharge rate. Again, you're using shots that should be used to help generate dps, and apply it. With that above fit, there is only about 110 hp/s, which won't last very long.

Even though auto-targeting missiles can hit out to about 220km, they only give 500dps, 3465 volley. Missions would be very, very slow. You could do the same, maybe better, in a Drake. If you go AFK, you most like will come back looking at your pod.

4 Caldari BCUs, with Fury, for me, gives 1003dps, 8230 volley.
3 Caldari BCUs, with Fury, for me, gives 940dps, 7948 volley.
4 BCU II, with Fury, for me, gives 942dps, 7730 volley.
3 Caldari BCUs, and 1 BCU II, with Fury, for me, gives 996dps, 8173 volley. (I see the logic in that.)

That 4th BCU is almost like having a 7% implant.

Best medicine is to try different things, if you don't want to go by something that's already proven itself over time. You will quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

-Kirst

Always remember Tovil-Toba, and what was done there.

Safr0n
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#25 - 2015-05-17 00:05:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Safr0n
It looks pretty good, assuming borderline skills. I would go with more tank until you get used to L4 missions. Use a faction shield booster like a large pith b type or large gist c type and then you you'll have enough cpu for a cap recharger in the mid slot. Then replace defensive mods with offense modes like more rigor rigs as you get skills.

[Raven, Mission]
Type-D Attenuation Signal Augmentation

Gist C-Type Large Shield Booster
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Kinetic Deflection Field II
Explosive Deflection Field II

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Mjolnir Cruise Missile
Small Tractor Beam II

Morgan Agrivar
Doomheim
#26 - 2015-05-17 06:43:56 UTC
[Raven, Raven]

6x 'Arbalest' Cruise Launcher I (Scourge Cruise Missile)

X-Large Shield Booster II
2x Kinetic Deflection Field II
Thermic Dissipation Field II
Large Micro Jump Drive
Sensor Booster II (Targeting Range Script)

Damage Control II
Power Diagnostic System II
3x Ballistic Control System II

3x Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I

1x Mobile Tractor Unit

My alt flies this but I hate Ravens anyways. At roughly 220m, it is somewhat affordable but of course L4 loot suck badly.
Drazok
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#27 - 2015-05-18 06:46:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Drazok
High

6 CML T2 if you can , faction ammo or plan
Med
XL boster
3 t2 hardeners
2 shield boost amps
1 cap recharger

Low
2 x BCU
3X flux coil

Rigs
3x CCC

dones
5 light
5 med

brick tank that you can't lose if you try.
Drones are meh with raven but bring em to clean up the frigs. This is not the fastest 4lv running but its not one you will lose either. Fit more gank as you get conformable with flying it.

This is cap stable with solid cap skills. its your cap/cpu/grid skill are not solid (lv5) do some more lv3s while you train up.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#28 - 2015-05-18 14:40:46 UTC
Don't CCC it and don't MJD it. Tank it and leave 1 mid for your pointer.

Read Eve Survival and use PYFA or EFT and have exactly the right resistances for each mission you fly. Know your triggers and keep incoming DPS down.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#29 - 2015-05-18 21:49:57 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
Don't CCC it and don't MJD it. Tank it and leave 1 mid for your pointer.

Read Eve Survival and use PYFA or EFT and have exactly the right resistances for each mission you fly. Know your triggers and keep incoming DPS down.

in general I agree, but when they moved a high to a mid, throwing a MJD on there makes a lot of sense as a gtfo button, and by just fitting a MJD you aren't really losing too much performance. The CPU/PG loss doesn't really make you sacrifice much. It isn't something I would use often, but when it is needed to prevent the loss of a ship it is well, training wheels. eventually you can take the training wheels off. Although there are some missions where a MJD helps, oh look at that group 100km away, perfect to MJD right into the center of them.

tl;dr use a MJD as training wheels.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Bagatur I
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#30 - 2015-05-22 11:01:08 UTC
my 2c - I read once on one of the fit website: 'if you cant make you shield boosting cap stable, then dont bother'. trying to make XL shield booster cap stable is insane. get rid of CCC rigs, you need better damage application with cruise missiles.
Gh0stBust3rs
Destruction and Pacification Services
#31 - 2015-05-22 12:29:03 UTC
Bagatur I wrote:
my 2c - I read once on one of the fit website: 'if you cant make you shield boosting cap stable, then dont bother'. trying to make XL shield booster cap stable is insane. get rid of CCC rigs, you need better damage application with cruise missiles.

CAp stable is so 2010. In reality you need maybe 5 minutes worth of cap. Understand your triggers and aggro mechanics. Hell most of my ship setups run on 3 m of cap running everything. Just some food for thought
Amanda Chan
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2015-05-22 13:39:52 UTC
Gh0stBust3rs wrote:
Bagatur I wrote:

CAp stable is so 2010. In reality you need maybe 5 minutes worth of cap. Understand your triggers and aggro mechanics. Hell most of my ship setups run on 3 m of cap running everything. Just some food for thought

Indeed the more spank you have, the less tank you need. Dead things deal no damage.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#33 - 2015-05-22 16:54:09 UTC
Bagatur I wrote:

If it has more than 2 minutes of cap stable it means you're still training for it IMHO. But then still training is what a Raven really is. You should be shooting for middle ground; enough DPS to get the job done and enough tank to stay alive while doing it. A Raven is no gank tank, CNR maybe. With MJD you can try to make it one, but Guristas will eat you alive.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Traejun DiSanctis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#34 - 2015-05-23 05:07:52 UTC
Assuming you're just getting started doing L4's and/or don't quite have the ability to fit Tech II Cruise Launchers, here is the fit. Also, upgrade to Tech II Cruise Launchers ASAP.

[Raven, Lvl 4 Raven]
Damage Control II

Mission-Specific Hardener
Mission-Specific Hardener

'Arbalest' Cruise Launcher I
Drone Link Augmenter II

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Mission-Specific Drones (Use Caldari or Gallente drones if all else fails)
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#35 - 2015-06-03 04:49:11 UTC
Okay this thread reads like the one-line bad idea thread.

I came up the raven to Golam route and putting more than two mission specific hardeners is over kill. Don't fit a MJD on any cruise missile boat for any L4 you can shoot far enough to hit 97% of targets without even moving. You should fit a mwd it is much more universally useful and you will save a lot of time using it over a MJD. Kite a bit, blast what you need to unlock the gate and gtfo.

When you get the golem, roll in, bastion up, kill what you need, gtfo.

For a tad more profit drop an mtu near your exit gate and scoop it on exit, sit on your mtu when your skills allow/you get a golem so you can salvage a bit before you gate out.

Have alt specialty ships for some missions where speed is your only real concern or speed plus tank when that is required.
I have a vigil fit for speed, warp for grab and go missions and a stabber for tank plus speed missions that don't need dps, like toxic cloud.

But the best advice you will get about L4s is read up on mission shortcuts so you can blitz missions and get your LP per hour up and your ISK per hour as well.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Traejun DiSanctis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#36 - 2015-06-03 05:16:36 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:

I came up the raven to Golam route and putting more than two mission specific hardeners is over kill. Don't fit a MJD on any cruise missile boat for any L4 you can shoot far enough to hit 97% of targets without even moving. You should fit a mwd it is much more universally useful and you will save a lot of time using it over a MJD. Kite a bit, blast what you need to unlock the gate and gtfo.

For a tad more profit drop an mtu near your exit gate and scoop it on exit, sit on your mtu when your skills allow/you get a golem so you can salvage a bit before you gate out.

Have alt specialty ships for some missions where speed is your only real concern or speed plus tank when that is required.
I have a vigil fit for speed, warp for grab and go missions and a stabber for tank plus speed missions that don't need dps, like toxic cloud.

But the best advice you will get about L4s is read up on mission shortcuts so you can blitz missions and get your LP per hour up and your ISK per hour as well.

Someone posting about a Raven fit for L4's is very likely a new player, so all the flippant "this is simple" nonsense can be stowed.

That said, MJD... agreed, don't need it. No prop mod, bad idea. Sure you can hit out to obscene ranges, but you're not going to warp in at 90+ every time. Rats will get in close long before your fat cow Raven opens up range. The whole "you don't even need to move" thing is just stupid.

In essence, your post misses the point.
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#37 - 2015-06-04 06:27:53 UTC
Traejun DiSanctis wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:

Someone posting about a Raven fit for L4's is very likely a new player, so all the flippant "this is simple" nonsense can be stowed.

That said, MJD... agreed, don't need it. No prop mod, bad idea. Sure you can hit out to obscene ranges, but you're not going to warp in at 90+ every time. Rats will get in close long before your fat cow Raven opens up range. The whole "you don't even need to move" thing is just stupid.

In essence, your post misses the point.

And you apparently cannot read or you would have seen I both mention using a mwd and kiting and if you know so little about this game that you don't understand the terminology perhaps you should wait till you do before making stupid commentary.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#38 - 2015-06-04 14:30:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Soldarius
Cruise missiles apply passably well, have good sustained dps, excellent alpha, and awesome range. Rigor rigs will greatly help your application vs smaller ships without having to worry about your drones getting blapped all the time. You really only need the drones for frigates that get into close range or to help kill a hostile that tackles you.

If you're going to run an XL booster, you need a cap booster to keep it running for long enough to tank missions like Angel Extravaganza bonus room. W/o the cap booster, your cap will be empty in less than 2 minutes of continuous shield booster use. This is insufficient to tank at close range for the duration of your MJD cooldown should it become necessary to do so.

Most rats can't hit anything out past 50km. Certain LR rats are a bit better. But none of them have the kind of range cruise missiles get (>200km). Do not ever fit range rigs on a cruise missile fit. plz. All you need is a sebo and a MJD. MJD out. Commence to shooting rats. When they get close, MJD again.

Start with this fit:
[Raven, cruise pve]
Damage Control II
Co-Processor II

EM Ward Field II
Thermic Dissipation Field II
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800
Large Micro Jump Drive

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise Missile
[empty high slot]

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Cap Booster 800 x16
Scourge Precision Cruise Missile x1500
Scourge Fury Cruise Missile x1500

You can drop either the invuln fld for a sebo, or the DC for a signal amplifier to get more locking range. I recommend the DC>SigAmp. Invulnerability field gives you farm better shield resists than the DC, which makes your local reps more effective. Train your missile support skills. Dead things deal no damage. Fit hardeners, ammo, and drones as required for the mission rats. The MJD not only repositions you away from the rats, but is also a get out of jail free card for gankers (unless they have a scram).

Plz don't fit Pith X-type deadspace mods to a friggin' Raven for cripes sake. It'll just make you a gank target, cost more than the entire ship, require months to pay off, and give you absolutely zero increase in isk efficiency. But if you are short on CPU still, I suggest Caldari Navy hardeners. Those are fairly cheap, give the same or better resists (I forget exactly) and use a lot less CPU than T2. They are worth the investment. The rest of your mids and highs can be downgraded to meta for additional fitting resource savings.

And for missions, I recommend using T1 ammo. But carry some faction and precision just in case.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#39 - 2015-06-04 14:59:15 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
Don't fit a MJD on any cruise missile boat for any L4 you can shoot far enough to hit 97% of targets without even moving. You should fit a mwd it is much more universally useful and you will save a lot of time using it over a MJD. Kite a bit, blast what you need to unlock the gate and gtfo.

And exactly how will you get out to range when just about every l4 mission in the game drops you at 0 on the rats? Gonna MWD all over the place? Whoops, out of cap. Now you're tackled by elite frigates, with no way to rep. wut do? buh-bye raven. Hope you bought insurance.

As for getting to that accel gate 45km away, just make sure to jump to a position roughly 100km from the gate. With so little dps pressure from the rats, maintaining positional awareness is easy and good practice for new pilots. Basically, just kite around the accel gate using your MJD.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Amanda Chan
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2015-06-08 03:11:50 UTC
Soldarius wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
Don't fit a MJD on any cruise missile boat for any L4 you can shoot far enough to hit 97% of targets without even moving. You should fit a mwd it is much more universally useful and you will save a lot of time using it over a MJD. Kite a bit, blast what you need to unlock the gate and gtfo.

And exactly how will you get out to range when just about every l4 mission in the game drops you at 0 on the rats? Gonna MWD all over the place? Whoops, out of cap. Now you're tackled by elite frigates, with no way to rep. wut do? buh-bye raven. Hope you bought insurance.

As for getting to that accel gate 45km away, just make sure to jump to a position roughly 100km from the gate. With so little dps pressure from the rats, maintaining positional awareness is easy and good practice for new pilots. Basically, just kite around the accel gate using your MJD.

If you're fitting a MWD/AB over a MJD, the assumption is you can take the level 4 to the face without blinking. A MJD has 2 main uses in missions:
1) Go light on tank for max spank
2) For those who are paranoid about losing their ship a MJD will work against rat's point, allowing you to jump 100 km away and warp out.
Previous page123Next page