These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Shake my Citadel

First post First post
Author
Obil Que
Star Explorers
Solis Tenebris
#621 - 2015-05-15 19:26:42 UTC
Fredric Wolf wrote:
Obil Que wrote:
Fredric Wolf wrote:
Here are my thoughts on WH they were supposed to be tough to live in but also offered the best rewards for time/isk. With these changes I do not think it is going to be half as bad as people are making it out to be. Why should one area of space not have to be there to defend its stuff just like the rest of EVE? People keep using the same argument that we might be in a different worm hole and we might not be able to get back. Well guess what we can not be on the other side of eve attacking people any longer either when our window time is open.

Look at it this way, if you go out to defend your structure from attack, do you have the chance to be irrevocably removed from the system you're defending? Not podded back to your station to get into another ship. Removed. Podding + hole closing = inaccessible system. It's not a OMG the sky is falling DEATH TO WH problem but it's a concern and like most, it hits smaller groups the hardest. Since Medium Citadels are supposed to be for "individuals and small corporations" per the blog, I'm not sure that it translates well when placed into wormhole space where the geography is unique from all other space.

It would be a larger problem if you didn't have multiple timers on these. Yeah you will have to watch these a little more closely then what you are watching POS's but if you can not make the 2nd or 3rd timer where you have the exact time to be there. Then I can not help you.

Also we do not know what will be allowed or not allowed in WH's I would be 100% on board with allowing clones if you are killed in that system to spawn you in your citadel on these but if you are in another it would default back to your birth station.

From past conversations on the topic, it seems the majority of wormholers are against jump style clones in wormholes but in favor of implant switching at structures.

As for the timers, the challenge for wormholers is that targets are those of opportunity most times. We see this with POCOs quite frequently. Attack one in your home system when you are taking up residence and you will likely be attacked by whoever is in your chain the day the timer expires because they happened to notice the timer going off. The first, second, or third reinforcement timer would have a similar effect on a Citadel. The person who attacked you the first time may not be the person attacking you the second or the timer may draw additional people to the fight possibly making it even harder to win/counter.
Fredric Wolf
Black Sheep Down
Tactical Narcotics Team
#622 - 2015-05-15 19:26:45 UTC
afkalt wrote:

If this has been answered previously, I apologise - I'm not trying to troll here.

Last I heard the contest nodes spawn across a constellation - obviously this is a nonsense concept for a WH - have we more detail on it I missed? An unsecured structure remains vulnerable if it passes the window unsecured so I can see this being a bit weird.

Partially OT, but close enough, I reckon. I hazard that wont work like that in WH, as it's a 'mare for both attackers and defenders alike but details like this are pretty key to providing meaningful feedback.

You also Left out the second part of my post. That would address most of people complaints
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#623 - 2015-05-15 19:31:50 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Obil Que wrote:
afkalt wrote:
If this has been answered previously, I apologise - I'm not trying to troll here.

Last I heard the contest nodes spawn across a constellation - obviously this is a nonsense concept for a WH - have we more detail on it I missed? An unsecured structure remains vulnerable if it passes the window unsecured so I can see this being a bit weird.

Partially OT, but close enough, I reckon. I hazard that wont work like that in WH, as it's a 'mare for both attackers and defenders alike but details like this are pretty key to providing meaningful feedback.

Constellation events are SOV and XL structure events only. M and L sized Citadels don't have this component.

Thanks

@Fredric Wolf: Yes but this was because it wasn't relevant to my question. It would solve it, but I'm not sure the WH boys would like it having been resistant to that in the past, but it may be the lesser demon.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#624 - 2015-05-15 21:13:55 UTC
As far as medium structures are concerned including any kind of sov 'capture the nodes' mechanism will mean they cannot be used by solo/small group corps. There is very little chance such a group could capture multiple points given that they would have to use an entosis link and thus defenceless. If this is supposed to get more people using structures it won't.

If mediums are to be used by small groups they need to be ehp based for desruction, not entosis linked. They shouldn't give any sov control though, giving the option of mediums being the go to for forward bases/small hisec groups. Large and above would be entosis based still.
Milla Goodpussy
Garoun Investment Bank
#625 - 2015-05-15 21:33:12 UTC
I really don't understand the thought process of removing POS towers, you just wasted more time re-animating the forcefields just to remove them from the game. that seems like wasted labor.
Beta Maoye
#626 - 2015-05-15 21:46:11 UTC
1. How does customs office work in citadel? Do I need to build one citadel per planet for importing and exporting PI materials?
2. Can you tell me something about the Interbus service you are thinking of?
slam34
Transtar Services
#627 - 2015-05-15 22:11:30 UTC
One of the best comments in this whole thread was the remark in regards how this all affects those of us who live in wormhole space. "you're not even supposed to be there..."

It is, in fact, part of the reason many of us actually do it. It was never intended, but we do it anyway. So when I see how these fine new structures and functions are going to have to be "shoe-horned" into W-space, I cringe. All of them showing up automaticly on overview and warpable? Did a Dev actually say that?

Clearly, applying these changes in wormhole space wasn't seriously considered as a design parameter.

Having said that, I see a lot of hard work and creativity applied productively to our game, and I applaud that. Dealing with these changes in the coming months will be quite exciting and should be a lot of fun. Thank you CCP! I just hope I can continue to enjoy them from Wormhole space. I am now going to look for some cheese to go with my whine. :)

High sec: That's the tutorial. Null Sec is the actual game. Wormholes? Even CCP isn't sure.

Fzhal
#628 - 2015-05-15 22:20:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Fzhal
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
As far as medium structures are concerned including any kind of sov 'capture the nodes' mechanism will mean they cannot be used by solo/small group corps. There is very little chance such a group could capture multiple points given that they would have to use an entosis link and thus defenceless. If this is supposed to get more people using structures it won't.

If mediums are to be used by small groups they need to be ehp based for desruction, not entosis linked. They shouldn't give any sov control though, giving the option of mediums being the go to for forward bases/small hisec groups. Large and above would be entosis based still.

AFAIK the only thing affecting Sov will be the Sov deployable. Structures may receive bonuses if their owners have Sov though. It also sounds like system indexes, maybe disconnected from Sov, could affect more than just the vulnerability window.

It sounds like all other structures will be deployable regardless of whether you have Sov. Which brings up a good question. Will XL structures (outpost sized) be re-scoopable? If so, we're talking about mobile outposts that could be used as a leapfrogging base of operations. The next question would be what happens to everyone's stuff when scooped? (I'm guessing the destruction mechanic would be used.)

As for mediums, if you don't have friends to help defend... I think that mediums should have to have their structures Entosised twice instead of using remote nodes so that there is a strategic choice in choosing POSs (as detailed in a recent post of mine).
TurAmarth ElRandir
Hiigaran Bounty Hunters Inc.
#629 - 2015-05-16 02:50:55 UTC
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Quote:

Like I said, it depends a lot on the timers and I'm assuming if you're solo you are in high sec, so in part wardec mechanics too. Fortunately the asset safety means although you lose your structure, you won't lose everything inside it.

If you cannot defend your structure though, you won't be able to keep it, but we want to give you every reasonable chance to defend it including the more casual players.

...I'm assuming if you're solo you are in high sec...

Uh... hate to burst yer bubble man but due of the Wonder of No Damned Sov Crap plus Wormhole Spawning Mechanics... one hell of a LOT of the corps in low to mid range holes are really small to middlin sized corps... and yes, some are even OMCs with an army of alts...and in those if the Account owner aint logged on, aint NO ONE logged on...

This "I ass-u-me" of yours will live up to it's name and screw really small gangs in low class holes... Hell I'm in a middling sized corp (wayyyy moar alts then living players) and half the time I'm logged on alone... with no back up and none to jabber in... add to this that our small number of players are spread from New Zealand all the long way round to the west coast of the US... well, life aint easy in holes... and from the sound of the above, ya'll are about to make it quite a bit tougher for small groups in Anoikis...

You really need to look long and hard at how this is all gonna affect SMALL gang/corp gameplay and life in Anoikis if you don't wanna accidentally screw us hard... if you really do want to live up to the promise made here... Let’s Talk About Emergence.

TurAmarth ElRandir Anoikis Merc, Salvager, Logibro and Unrepentant Blogger Fly Wreckless and see you in the Sky =/|)= http://turamarths-evelife.blogspot.com/

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#630 - 2015-05-16 02:58:16 UTC
Epsyla wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Chirality Tisteloin wrote:
Good evening,

Question for clarification: docking in Citadels means the same as using the invulnerability link, right?

very interesting concepts! Thanx for sharing the blog.

No docking puts you inside and safe, but you still see the grid outside the station.

The invulnerability link (we need a new name for this, taking suggestions) provides security while you are undocked and mobile around the structure.

How about Sanctuary Sphere for those in the vicinity of structure ( and those docked or moored Aegis Coupling?

All the best minds and ideas are from Hedion University. Bear
TurAmarth ElRandir
#631 - 2015-05-16 03:05:38 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:

2. I think we will show them on the onboard scanner to warp to.

I haven't read the blog in its entirely yet, but how are these structures going to be deployed anywhere, if the only available points are the warpable solar system objects like the sun, moons, planets and all intersecting lines between them, i.e. someone will ALWAYS pass your structure in warp as it lies on the warp path between two objects, unless you deploy something like 2000 km off a planet's warp in point.

In other words, you can't have positioning above the solar system's plane, unless you have old Deep safe spot bookmarks from many moons ago. Sad

Hmmmm.... lessee...

(1) [best] old saved BM from any completed exploration site/old wormhole/etc. will normally put you randomly approx 4 to 8 AU off a planet and often well above or below the ecliptic...

(2) [2nd best] ever heard of creating a Static Safe Spot? Pick the 3 warpables farthest apart in any system, drop a BM approx halfway between 2 of them, then drop a BM approx halfway between that BM and the third warpable... you are not on ANY std. warp lane.

Done.

TurAmarth ElRandir Anoikis Merc, Salvager, Logibro and Unrepentant Blogger Fly Wreckless and see you in the Sky =/|)= http://turamarths-evelife.blogspot.com/

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#632 - 2015-05-16 03:08:23 UTC
On point 2) - You are still on the same plane as these objects. Feels 2D, bruh. Smile

As mentioned earlier, I do agree that temporary exploration sites will have excellent real estate potential.
TurAmarth ElRandir
#633 - 2015-05-16 03:19:22 UTC
Ijesz ToKolok wrote:
Quote:
Structures having a solar system wide-effect or otherwise impacting some kind of area will be publicly visible in space and in the overview

Are Citadels such structures?

Quote:
We are also thinking of having them visible and directly warpable from the on-board scanner to preserve Wormhole space gameplay.

I don't think wormhole space gameplay requires such towers to be warpable. WH folks, is it important?

No, not directly warpable... as a matter of fact that, directly warpable, breaks W-space a little bit... but structures absolutely MUST be on Dscan. Other wise you force a scout to have no choice but to pop combat probes to "see" if there are POSes in a system and doing so 100% alerts the residents to the scouts presence... this would be a form of 'local' in that you would always see if a cloaky was scouting your hole or they would see you if you were scouting someone elses and this breaks how cloaky scouting works in Anoikis.

What we do now is use Dsscan to narrow a POS down to 5% and then we know which Planet and Moon it is at and can scout if we want to risk a decloak trap. But at least the cloaky scout can serve his purpose, gather intel while cloaked. This is gameplay as old as holes and should not be fukked with.

TurAmarth ElRandir
#634 - 2015-05-16 03:30:00 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
On point 2) - You are still on the same plane as these objects. Feels 2D, bruh. Smile

As mentioned earlier, I do agree that temporary exploration sites will have excellent real estate potential.

But its not 2D bro... take a look at most systems... there are often, not always, but often one or more planets who's orbits are slightly to very eccentric, off-angle to the ecliptic... and yes, any Static Safe will still be 'inside the angles' between those and the other planets you anchor to, but you are not forced onto a flat 2D plane.

And anyway... 2D/3D/shmeeD... doesn't matter... Combat probes will give you a BM on a POS but without them no amount of warping back n forth dropping BMs is going to put you anywhere near a POS in a 'properly made' Static Safe... even if it is exactly on the same plane as your anchors. If you don't have 2 warpables with the target IN A DIRECT LINE between them... without combat probes (again, in a properly made Static Safe) you cannot land on it ever.

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#635 - 2015-05-16 03:43:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
TurAmarth ElRandir wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:

But its not 2D bro... take a look at most systems... there are often, not always, but often one or more planets who's orbits are slightly to very eccentric, off-angle to the ecliptic... and yes, any Static Safe will still be 'inside the angles' between those and the other planets you anchor to, but you are not forced onto a flat 2D plane.

Still 2-D with no sense of freedom. Blink

And anyway... 2D/3D/shmeeD... doesn't matter... Combat probes will give you a BM on a POS but without them no amount of warping back n forth dropping BMs is going to put you anywhere near a POS in a 'properly made' Static Safe... even if it is exactly on the same plane as your anchors. If you don't have 2 warpables with the target IN A DIRECT LINE between them... without combat probes (again, in a properly made Static Safe) you cannot land on it ever.

The point is not landing on them without Combats, but that most of these structures deposited in this way will be within very small margin from all of the warp lanes and on the same plane.
TurAmarth ElRandir
#636 - 2015-05-16 04:12:25 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
The point is not landing on them without Combats, but that most of these structures deposited in this way will be within very small margin from all of the warp lanes and on the same plane.

Uhhh... no.

I am thinking you have not done this very much.... if ever.

I have.

A lot.

1AU is not a 'very small margin'... think it is? Fit the fasted frig you can... find anything in the game 1AU from something else... start burning there and see how long it takes. Email me ingame when you get there... I'll be retired by then and online moar than I am now.

And 1 AU actually is a 'very small margin' to actually get with both methods I have described... normally I end up with BMs between 4 and upwards of 10AU from ANYTHING... including the local flight lanes.

"Very small margin"... LOL

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#637 - 2015-05-16 04:18:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:

Uhhh... no.

I am thinking you have not done this very much.... if ever.

I have.

A lot.

1AU is not a 'very small margin'... think it is?

Relative to the distances we have in most systems and the ship warp speeds, it is very close - breaks immersion.

Even in systems that have warpables, such as gates, 50 AU away perpendicular to plane of the solar system - that is only one object to work with, and even then if there is no second one located in a similar manner, you will end up with location that is on the warp path.

Option 1) is not on the warp lanes, but still very close and is on the same plane.
Option 2) is not on the same plane, but most likely on a significant warp path in such systems.

TL;DR Temporary exploration sites.
Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#638 - 2015-05-16 11:03:43 UTC
Rashaab merkava wrote:
Will these citadel structures be able to be used in High-security space ?

M and L

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Elenahina
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#639 - 2015-05-16 11:23:25 UTC
Sequester Risalo wrote:

Thank you for your friendly suggestion. But my problem is not, what to do with a stray trollceptor when I'm logged in and ready for battle. My problem is what happens when I'm NOT around (which is roughly 92% of the time). With a hafway decent POS setup it takes plenty ships with plenty dps to reinforce a tower. With fozziesov it takes two times 10 minutes for a single trollceptor.

Don't let the arguments about lootdrops fool you. People will take down structures for the luls or the killmail alone. This is no great repellent.

Maybe we had it coming. Maybe we should HTFU. Whatever. I heard C1 dwellers are notoriously rolling in ISK by the trillions.

I'm simply questioning the wisdom of applying a sov mechanic to unclaimable space.

But this isn't a sov mechanic; or at least not specifically. It's the structure capture mechanic. The same mechanic will be used in unclaimable NPC space, as well as sov null. Wormhole space works the same as everywhere else when it comes to capturing structures today - why should it work differently going forward?

Now, if you want to address the problems with the mechanics as a whole, keeping in mind that the structure capture mechanics will be universally the same going forward, just as they are today, that's fine. But don't expect your use case to be the special snowflake because it's inconvenient. Guess what - lowsec guys will have the same issues you do, just with more local so the trollceptor knows when no one is around with 100% accuracy.

FWIW, I agree that structures should have a limited capability to defend themselves just as POSes do today. A skilled lone pilot, or a determined fleet of them will still be able to entosis you by staying ahead of the weapons, but your casuals are probably going to look for easy pickings, just like today.

However, giving them self defense adds in some new considerations - how close can we put them to gates or stations? Lining one up on the undock of an NPC station and then letting it take potshots at people until they can bring it down is an even larger trolling issue than the one you're describing. You have to look at the whole mechanic, not just your slice of it.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Captain Semper
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#640 - 2015-05-16 12:13:43 UTC
What will happen with assets after enemy capture M-XL Citadel? Will be some safty move or just like now?